Programme Corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Still on with the collecting aspect....

A painful reminder....

1566318354478.png

I've just finished the programme. Of course I'm not happy it's gone up 50p but I do think it's a good read. The section in the away team is actually interesting for once, with details about historic matches between the clubs. There are a couple of typos, such as it has our record crowd as 60,287 rather than 68,287, and apparently we beat Villa 3-0 at the Lane last season, not 4-1, but overall I like it.

When I got home Sunday I chucked mine on the table just before opening the champagne. (Cava really). My wife and controller of domestic finances took one look and said “How much was THAT?”. I whispered “£3.50” and she almost purred with pleasure, believing it was considerably more. One that scale it’s worth it!

Any idea why Sharp has red shorts on, on the cover? Or when we played in that combo?
I think they've only worn the red shirts at the launch/photoshoot haven't they? It's a great away kit with the white/grey shorts but it looks equally good with the red shorts. Not keen on them wearing black shorts with it, as they did in one of the friendlies.

Used to buy one every game, home and away without fail as a kid. Read it cover to cover. Any I missed out on would require a trip to the club shop to enquire about any spares. Kept them in boxes at my parents in their own plastic wallets.

Stopped buying them in about 03 when I’d have been about 18. Most of the content was easily available on the internet, the interviews etc were pretty anodyne (Lee Sandford makes a mean Spag Bol and likes Phil Collins etc), £2.50 was better spent on a pre match pint and ultimately it seemed counter intuitive carrying around a bit of paper you are trying to keep in pristine condition when you are going to the match/boozer....a bit like buying a dozen eggs before queuing for a rollercoaster (suppose I should take some tips from the Carrier Bag Firm).

Still got the old programmes. They are have no monetary value, take up loads of space and I probably glance at one every 3/4 years but I can’t bear to part with them. Just looking at the covers brings back a lot of memories though.

Some people love them, some people don't bother with them and others just hit each over the head with them. I confess as a kid I fell into the final category but as time has gone on I'm now entrenched in the first.

Whether you're a programme junky or not, '£3 yer match programme' is sadly history.

Welcome to the Premier League, The new programme is £3.50.

Thought I would start with a quick review of Sunday's programme. View attachment 59926

So what do you get for your extra £0.50p

On first observations not much.
Same shape and size, not against that, with a bound spine they're much better than they were a few seasons ago

I admit I love the new arty bianco print that is featured, an interesting couple of pages on the Lane revamp, and a couple of pages on Danny Hall's book, but the inside follows the same identical template as the last couple of seasons, and therefore its slightly disappointing.
It may change, but we don't have much imagination when it comes to covers, other clubs in recent seasons have gone for retro programme covers, there's been some real beauties and personally would have like to seen us do the same.
It may be because United's programme sales have actually increased over the last couple of seasons, where as many clubs sales have decreased (no doubt aligned with our success on the pitch), but I think the club has possibly missed a trick regarding the youngsters.
Some clubs do Sticker books like Panini, where you get half a dozen stickers per programme throughout the season. It may seem a slightly capitalist way of doing things, but think how many extra programmes we would shift.
Having said all that I still buy three Programmes at every home game :rolleyes::eek:

As a bit of a programme anorak, It will be interesting to see how ours compares to others in the premier League.
I just needed to edit the programme front page, to a more apt image, hope you don't mind.........20190821_071547.jpg

Priced at £99 for a season to a UK address; £149 to an EU address or £199 to anywhere else and all can be ordered through our design partners Ignition Sports Media at ignitionsportsmedia.com

An extra £2 to have it delivered every game. £5.50 per matchday program....

Programme Review No 2 Bournemouth
img764.jpg
Not sure how many pages the Bournemouth programme has because the pages aren't numbered :rolleyes:
So what does their programme have to offer. Well its bigger than ours, although I prefer United's size. A solid spine and as you can see their cover theme is current player with classic retro shirt, not quite but Shades of our 95/96 shirt. Exchange and Mart will bring memories back for a lot of us.
It all kicks off with Eddie Howe, Jeff Mostyn and former blade Simon Francis.
The visitor section is impressive, well laid out and easy to follow that fans might actually read it. Its rounded off with a visiting supporters favourite goal, in this instance Steve Cryan waxing lyrical about Jags screamer against Dirty L***s..
Standard fare comes in the way of pre-season action with pictures and match reports and then there's a whole 10 pages on Callum Wilson who apparently loves his retro shirt.
There's the new signings, and classic encounters. Full respect to Bournemouth who look back on our last meeting 7 years ago. A 5-3 win for the Blades.
Sadly, they went one way and we liked it in League 1 so much, we hung around a lot longer.
Again another surprise as Kevin Gage gets in with a 4 page article.
The programme closes with the usual news from around the club, U21s, quiz, statistics etc etc and they played for both (Mark Morris)
In the back there's a bonus for the kids, an 12 page pull out comic type magazine for the juniors (something perhaps as I mentioned when reviewing ours the other week is something to look at. It featured a guide to us, a quiz about us, another football quiz and god knows what else.
Read this as I had a San Miguel in the New Forest on the way back from the South coast. All in all not a bad read, with a better United content than most.

Programme Review No 3, Chelsea

img778.jpg

So what has the Chelsea Programme have to offer, well 84 pages to be accurate. £3.50 (as United's and Bournemouth).
Similar size to Bournemouth's just a tad narrower.
I had a look through this outside the St Stephens Tavern at Westminster on Saturday whilst I had an Amstel (there's a recurring theme here I know) and later on the tube back to Stanmore.
I was disappointed with it in all honesty. There's what only can be described as a lit of filler in it. Plenty of colourful adverts but not a lot of substance.
In the lookback section there's one or two nice old pictures, Jimmy Hagan, Hodgy and a Thumbnail of Stewart Scullion scoring the winner in 1971 but then they spoil it by having Mark Stein grinning smugly in 1994. Most of the games featured, understandably are Chelsea wins.
The visitor section is pretty sparse, U18s, U23s and womens section all to standard, but apart from Kerry Dixon's tales from the dressing room there isn't any article or section, that if you skipped through it, you might think 'hang on, I'll read that'. Says it all really.

One or two people have asked how do your store programmes, I'll come to that later in the week.

Some people love them, some people don't bother with them and others just hit each over the head with them. I confess as a kid I fell into the final category but as time has gone on I'm now entrenched in the first.

Whether you're a programme junky or not, '£3 yer match programme' is sadly history.

Welcome to the Premier League, The new programme is £3.50.

Thought I would start with a quick review of Sunday's programme. View attachment 59926

So what do you get for your extra £0.50p

On first observations not much.
Same shape and size, not against that, with a bound spine they're much better than they were a few seasons ago

I admit I love the new arty bianco print that is featured, an interesting couple of pages on the Lane revamp, and a couple of pages on Danny Hall's book, but the inside follows the same identical template as the last couple of seasons, and therefore its slightly disappointing.
It may change, but we don't have much imagination when it comes to covers, other clubs in recent seasons have gone for retro programme covers, there's been some real beauties and personally would have like to seen us do the same.
It may be because United's programme sales have actually increased over the last couple of seasons, where as many clubs sales have decreased (no doubt aligned with our success on the pitch), but I think the club has possibly missed a trick regarding the youngsters.
Some clubs do Sticker books like Panini, where you get half a dozen stickers per programme throughout the season. It may seem a slightly capitalist way of doing things, but think how many extra programmes we would shift.
Having said all that I still buy three Programmes at every home game :rolleyes::eek:

As a bit of a programme anorak, It will be interesting to see how ours compares to others in the premier League.

You are not a proper Sheffielder if you’re buying 3 programmes at every game! Bloke next to me just buys one and brings a portable photocopier to the game and makes grainy black and white copies of it.

You are not a proper Sheffielder if you’re buying 3 programmes at every game! Bloke next to me just buys one and brings a portable photocopier to the game and makes grainy black and white copies of it.

That's absurd.....but in a bizarre way, has an element of truth in it :eek::D

“Programs 3 pound fifty” just doesn’t have the same ring to “programs 3 pound” I’m afraid :eek: :eek:

I'm surprised that Chelsea's programme doesn't cost more than ours, though it sounds as if it's worse value for money.

Auction Watch: Sheffield Auction gallery Last week.

Pretty disappointing fare at the Sheffield Auction last week in regards to United, although I confess I didn't attend on the day.

Apart from a couple of boxes consisting mainly of 70s to 00s which weren't owt to shout home about, there were two little items of interest.

First up was a bound volume from the 1923-4 season.

Included was the F.A. Cup Semi Final between Aston Villa v. Burnley.

Also, all twenty one League games, v. Bolton, Manchester City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Preston, Burnley, Everton, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Cardiff, Middlesbrough, West Ham, Sunderland, Arsenal, Blackburn, Tottenham, Huddersfield, Notts County, Birmingham, West Brom. Plus County Cup game v. Rotherham County, twenty two reserves games including v. reserves of Leeds United, The Wednesday, Manchester United; together with Wharncliffe Charity Cup v. Treeton and Dinnington Main v. Nether edge Amateurs, 'A' v. Norton Woodseats, neutral venue for Eckington Works v. Worksop Town (Senior Cup Semi, Halifax v. Northampton F.A Cup 1st round, second replay, Barnsley Reserves v. Worksop Town.
1923-4 bound volume.jpg

Love these bound volumes, works of art in my opinion. Lets hope a United fan bought it, but I suspect it was a dealer who'll now butcher it, by splitting it and selling them individually.

Bloody sacrilege.

Hammer Price: £1400 plus buyers premium will take it past £1700.

The second item was a Sheffield United 1939-40 Players Complimentary Season Ticket- featuring fixtures for first reserve and 'A' teams. Gilt lettering and number '56' to red Morocco cover.
1939-0 Season Ticket.jpg

Hammer Price: £100 plus buyers premium. Double the estimate. A bit pricey,.... perhaps it was the season 1939-40 that pushed it further than normal.

Need Spongebob to tell us all about it as he collects these sort of things

Next Month at Stacey's auction down in Essex.

There are 39 Bound Volumes up for grabs in one lot including the very first volume, and our Championship winning season.

1897/98 - 1938/39 Football Programmes: Lacking only 3 volumes which are 1898/99 1908/09 and 1911/12. (37 volumes). All 1st team, Reserves, Friendlies, Testimonials and local matches played at the ground. Some very difficult to obtain FA Cup Semi Finals and England matches are included and all programmes have covers. Auction Staceys 2.jpgAuction staceys.jpg

Absolute dream...…....but I don't suspect there's too many of us can even afford the estimate: £95000 - £105000.

Will be interesting to see if they actually sell?

There are 39 Bound Volumes up for grabs in one lot including the very first volume, and our Championship winning season.

1897/98 - 1938/39 Football Programmes: Lacking only 3 volumes which are 1898/99 1908/09 and 1911/12. (37 volumes). All 1st team, Reserves, Friendlies, Testimonials and local matches played at the ground. Some very difficult to obtain FA Cup Semi Finals and England matches are included and all programmes have covers. View attachment 61526View attachment 61527

Absolute dream...…....but I don't suspect there's too many of us can even afford the estimate: £95000 - £105000.

There maybe at least one 'Blade' with a few spare bob to play with now who might want to purchase and gift them to the Lane museum, we could even class it as golden goodbye :)

Pretty disappointing fare at the Sheffield Auction last week in regards to United, although I confess I didn't attend on the day.

Apart from a couple of boxes consisting mainly of 70s to 00s which weren't owt to shout home about, there were two little items of interest.

Also, all twenty one League games, v. Bolton, Manchester City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Preston, Burnley, Everton, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Cardiff, Middlesbrough, West Ham, Sunderland, Arsenal, Blackburn, Tottenham, Huddersfield, Notts County, Birmingham, West Brom. Plus County Cup game v. Rotherham County, twenty two reserves games including v. reserves of Leeds United, The Wednesday, Manchester United; together with Wharncliffe Charity Cup v. Treeton and Dinnington Main v. Nether edge Amateurs, 'A' v. Norton Woodseats, neutral venue for Eckington Works v. Worksop Town (Senior Cup Semi, Halifax v. Northampton F.A Cup 1st round, second replay, Barnsley Reserves v. Worksop Town.
View attachment 61522

Love these bound volumes, works of art in my opinion. Lets hope a United fan bought it, but I suspect it was a dealer who'll now butcher it, by splitting it and selling them individually.

Bloody sacrilege.

The second item was a Sheffield United 1939-40 Players Complimentary Season Ticket- featuring fixtures for first reserve and 'A' teams. Gilt lettering and number '56' to red Morocco cover.
View attachment 61524

Hammer Price: £100 plus buyers premium. Double the estimate. A bit pricey,.... perhaps it was the season 1939-40 that pushed it further than normal.

I thought it would fetch about £80 + commission. I wasn’t the buyer this time. I already have this one with the no. 30 embossed on it. :)
P.S. ...... don’t tell everyone about up and coming auctions! ;)
For the next couple of weeks I’ll be having a couple of lines on the Euro million’s...... just in case 🙏

Last edited:
I thought it would fetch about £80 + commission. I wasn’t the buyer this time. I already have this one with the no. 30 embossed on it. :)
P.S. ...... don’t tell everyone about up and coming auctions! ;)
For the next couple of weeks I’ll be having a couple of lines on the Euro million’s...... just in case 🙏
Do you guys know about the birmingham based auction house called sporting memories?
I know the guy who owns it and have just done some deals with him selling some of my late fathers stuff.
Im sorting things out for my elderly mum who didnt know where to start.

Do you guys know about the birmingham based auction house called sporting memories?
I know the guy who owns it and have just done some deals with him selling some of my late fathers stuff.
Im sorting things out for my elderly mum who didnt know where to start.
Sorry to hear about your dad. Robert Adcock. Little fellow. That’s a real shame as us Blades would have given you a good price on anything we needed. What sort of years were we looking at?

1897/98 - 1938/39 Football Programmes: Lacking only 3 volumes which are 1898/99 1908/09 and 1911/12. (37 volumes). All 1st team, Reserves, Friendlies, Testimonials and local matches played at the ground. Some very difficult to obtain FA Cup Semi Finals and England matches are included and all programmes have covers. View attachment 61526View attachment 61527

Were originally the property of Alan Scholey I’m lead to believe

View attachment 61522

Bloody sacrilege.

View attachment 61524

Sorry to hear about your dad. Robert Adcock. Little fellow. That’s a real shame as us Blades would have given you a good price on anything we needed. What sort of years were we looking at?
Hi.
We still have some bits and bobs 2 forest 1903 and 1904 plus some others.
My dad was a avid collector of anything united themed.

If you still have them after the next auction I might just be interested ;)

If you still have them after the next auction I might just be interested ;)
Ive asked robert for them back.
I will get together whats left and find this thread out with a list.
Didnt know you were a collector or you could have had 1st dabs on whats allready gone.

Ive asked robert for them back.
I will get together whats left and find this thread out with a list.
Didnt know you were a collector or you could have had 1st dabs on whats allready gone.
😭........
Thanks mate. Appreciated 👍

Programme Review No 4, Evertonimg887.jpg

Didn't get an opportunity to have a look at the Everton programme on Saturday as there was about as much room in the lower tier to swing a cat and the fat beer bellied bloke behind me, everytime he moved kept knocking me into the row in front.
So, had a quick shifty whilst in Maccy d's at Croxteth, feeding the gruesome twosome.
A glossy production of 84 pages.
Begins with the standard Manager, Captain and Interview with a player format. Double page welcoming back jags and then an adequate opposition guide in almost match attax style.
Nice touch with the stats page for the U18s, U23s and Women's, they actually print the league tables !!! , and the lettering is quite big, which is good because I'm blind as a bat.
However its a programme that feels like it doesn't have a great amount of substance to it, 22 pages of adverts certainly doesn't help.

The highlight was without doubt the Dave Thomas article. Many of you who remember the late 60s and early 70s will remember Thomas as a great winger, who wore boots with rubber studs and didn't wear shin-pads, nowadays he's virtually blind after beginning to lose his sight after turning 50.

There's some great snippets in there, from his grandad refusing to play football with him if he didn't use his left foot and as a 15 year old, his old man kicking Don Revie and Manny Cousins out of the house as they tried to convince him to renege on his word to sign for Burnley on £4 a week in favour of their offer off £30 a week and a £2000 signing on fee.
Remarkable story through medical adversity and how he remains positive and how he loves his dog. So he's alright by me.

I love reading these stories of players who were knocking about when I was a kid.

just sold for £80,000 plus commission (£96k)
My just giving page is........ and I’ll throw in our lass :eek:

Back
Top Bottom