Prince's - Saudi TV interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Showing a wilder bias now , picked it up in the op as well !
All these things were on the sky interview so why are we discussing an Arabic version with the same content which has been discussed already ?
I'll gladly admit I'm more biased towards Wilder. But I do hope that the Prince is true to his word and does make some good decisions going forward.

Main reason I've put these things in is mainly because this is a new interview, yes they cover similar ground for some, yes it's a bit confusing with the translate too, however still a new interview from the owner.
Can I point out for the third time that you're taking the most uncharitable interpretation of a google translate when the Prince has previously said this in English and it was a lot more reasonable?

Now, the Prince might not be being entirely honest about what went on behind the scenes, but it seems pretty clear he didn't mean for the board to pick the targets for the manager. He meant for the manager to present several targets so the board could shop around for the best deal. That's the thing that Varkanoid was saying is the norm at other clubs, not that boardrooms pick the squad.
Ok fair cop, I get what you mean that the translate maybe is making this unreasonable. Although I'll stand that I think that final quote is along one of the reasons Wilder went. I'm pretty sure Wilder did used to bring up several targets too, perhaps not every time however.
Given the prince does want to change structure, hopefully some more will be invested in improving the scouting network. Brentfords is always seen as a shining light, however it's also v.costly setup.

So if Wilder was offered the chance to sign Messi but he chose Burke instead, and Messi went to Villa and tore things up would it be wrong to blame Wilder for that?

Nice - totally unrealistic simile there, if we could sign Messi we wouldnt have the squad we have now we wouldnt be relegated and more likely we would be one of those top 6 in the ESL fiaisco and then there would be no reason to choose Burke anyway.

:rolleyes:

Think you need to aim a bit lower than Messi.

Try someone like Calvin-Lewert v Burke. :)

So if Wilder was offered the chance to sign Messi but he chose Burke instead, and Messi went to Villa and tore things up would it be wrong to blame Wilder for that?

Try someone like Calvin-Lewert v Burke. :)

Would a better example not be Cal Robinson v Burke? There's a clear winner in that one this season...and it's not Burke.

And now a statement from Baghdad Bob on behalf of Christopher Wilder..

If Wilder chose to sign Ramsdale and not Martinez that's his fault and he should be judged on that as a mistake.

That logic doesn't work! If the team pick six who they consider good enough they then can't blame Chris when the one he picks isn't good enough.

That just means the picking team take no responsibility if it goes wrong!

That logic doesn't work! If the team pick six who they consider good enough they then can't blame Chris when the one he picks isn't good enough.

That just means the picking team take no responsibility if it goes wrong!

Did 'the team' (board) pick Ramsdale as someone to be good enough?

I mean the Prince made the same point on Talksport about Chris only had one or two players for each position so it gave us no bargaining power yet lets translate something to make the Prince look bad (when it's fairly obvious what he's saying because he's already said it).

I'll gladly admit I'm more biased towards Wilder. But I do hope that the Prince is true to his word and does make some good decisions going forward.

Main reason I've put these things in is mainly because this is a new interview, yes they cover similar ground for some, yes it's a bit confusing with the translate too, however still a new interview from the owner.

Ok fair cop, I get what you mean that the translate maybe is making this unreasonable. Although I'll stand that I think that final quote is along one of the reasons Wilder went. I'm pretty sure Wilder did used to bring up several targets too, perhaps not every time however.
Given the prince does want to change structure, hopefully some more will be invested in improving the scouting network. Brentfords is always seen as a shining light, however it's also v.costly setup.

Yeah, I think we all agree that disagreements over player acquisition was a big part of whatever went wrong behind the scenes between Wilder and the board. The problem is that even as a staunch supporter of Wilder up to the end, it's almost impossible to defend him on that side of things. I think you can toss a coin for whether you trust a chairman of a football club on any given statement but things did need to change on that front and if it was a deal-breaker for Wilder then departure was inevitable.

With regards to this interview, it all sounds like a repeat of what he said much more clearly in an interview in Englsh, so I would go with that rather than a poor translation.

If Wilder chose to sign Ramsdale and not Martinez that's his fault and he should be judged on that as a mistake.
Ramsdale has played well these last few weeks and is finally turning it around . As for Martinez we would never have got him with our wage structure,he would have escaped like all the other Wilder targets. We just won't pay the going rate.

Yes Brentfords scouting system shows regular how good it is . They keep finding gems every year.

That’s defo lost in translation. He wants the manager to give 5 options for a position. Not just one like Wilder did, namely with Ramsdale

If that is true which it does seem to be then I am disappointed in Wilder. We got Ramsdale but what would have happened had we not? Pay Hendo 100k a week to come back on loan and then send him back to Man Utd again?

We know we missed out on quite a few targets, some names were rumoured, others people seem to be pretty sure were targets who went elsewhere. How does that fit in to the idea that Wilder wanted one player and no one else? People have jumped all over this but I just don't buy it. I can believe that Wilder was stubborn and unwilling to listen to suggestions, but I don't see how we can have had just one target at a time - even one target at a time defender/midfielder/striker - the transfer window just isn't long enough.

Ramsdale has played well these last few weeks and is finally turning it around . As for Martinez we would never have got him with our wage structure,he would have escaped like all the other Wilder targets. We just won't pay the going rate.

The club seem to have indicated that Martinez could have been signed but Wilder vetoed it, if that's true we could have got him.

We know we missed out on quite a few targets, some names were rumoured, others people seem to be pretty sure were targets who went elsewhere. How does that fit in to the idea that Wilder wanted one player and no one else? People have jumped all over this but I just don't buy it. I can believe that Wilder was stubborn and unwilling to listen to suggestions, but I don't see how we can have had just one target at a time - even one target at a time defender/midfielder/striker - the transfer window just isn't long enough.
I think that's my mode of thinking too. I reckon there will have been occasions when there was only 1 preferred target. I distinctly remember Wilder mentioning that the team will present their options/suggestions to the board with target 1, 2, 3 etc.
I mean with Ramsdale, is the Prince admitting even that Martinez was a name touted? Or more so that Martinez went for a deal up to £20m and Ramsdale is a deal worth up to £18m?
If memory serves me correct I don't think Martinez was looking to be offloaded I think Villa came in a bit out of the blue.
Also if memory serves me correct the club tried to get Henderson to start with again but of course Dean wanted to stay at MU as did Ole. So straight away one other option was explored first.

Yeah, I think we all agree that disagreements over player acquisition was a big part of whatever went wrong behind the scenes between Wilder and the board. The problem is that even as a staunch supporter of Wilder up to the end, it's almost impossible to defend him on that side of things. I think you can toss a coin for whether you trust a chairman of a football club on any given statement but things did need to change on that front and if it was a deal-breaker for Wilder then departure was inevitable.

With regards to this interview, it all sounds like a repeat of what he said much more clearly in an interview in Englsh, so I would go with that rather than a poor translation.
The context that the interview is for the Arabic audience is key.
Reputation and honor are critical in Saudi Arabia. So its important not to be seen to disagree too much in front of others.So sensitive issues, such as our failure, have to not blame anyone, but still retain integrity by telling the truth.
If he is to secure further funds from the crazy autocrats that are spending $500bn on a Eco holiday resort, then saving face is a priority.

He does not want the new manager or Wilder to pick targets. What he wants is for "his team" to pick a number of targets and have the manager decide on which ones.
Chris wanted to use the team he had to pick targets and suggest these to the board to sign. This had already started to happen with Coulibaly, signed without any knowledge to

What on earth are you talking about? This is rubbish.

He said in numerous interviews, that he mentioned 6 OTHER names, to add to Chris Wilders suggestions in his own opinion, this means he's actively involved in helping Chris Wilder with his own football knowledge. This isn't a bad thing.

If the Prince "wants to pick his targets" then he simply would not have sanctioned the deals for the player Chris Wilder ended up choosing.

That’s defo lost in translation. He wants the manager to give 5 options for a position. Not just one like Wilder did, namely with Ramsdale
Agreed some of these translations aren't even close. And I find it hilarious someone trying to argue against those ponts in a different language 😂 smh

What on earth are you talking about? This is rubbish.

He said in numerous interviews, that he mentioned 6 OTHER names, to add to Chris Wilders suggestions in his own opinion, this means he's actively involved in helping Chris Wilder with his own football knowledge. This isn't a bad thing.

If the Prince "wants to pick his targets" then he simply would not have sanctioned the deals for the player Chris Wilder ended up choosing.
Yep I heard those interviews too. How many players did we sign in Jan?

The translation may not be entirely correct but transfer policy was deffo something Chris couldn't longer work with. Guess we will see going forward how things transpire

The translation may not be entirely correct but transfer policy was deffo something Chris couldn't longer work with. Guess we will see going forward how things transpire

He also said in the same interview, which you never covered that we almost signed Lingard, but then switched targets because Berge got injured. We then failed to sign either, for whatever reason.

It ties in with the "Its this one or nobody" stuff.

You mean the board couldn't work with CW my way or the highway transfer policy any longer.

Its ok it's Thursday, you've probably started happy hour already

Not sure where this theory comes from tbh.

CW had a budget to work with as I'm sure most mangers in England have. That budget allowed for either A) low fees but high wages B) high fees but low wages or C) a mixture of the 2.

CW blatantly decided to go with option B so as to not upset the rest of the squad that were already here. No issue with this but he can't really complain that his choices didn't hit the ground running and we have ended up where we are.

The Prince was trying to implement a specific approach for recruitment (DoF or something loosely resembling that). Wilder didn’t want it. The Prince used the first hiccup of Wilder’s reign to enforce his plan. Wilder, clearly suffering a lot from the way the season was panning out, decided to quit.

Despite the unanswered questions, to me it seems obvious what happened.

We were down by December Wilders enthusiasm had gone and it showed he’d said he wanted to go and was probably wanting a pay off so that’s why the board didn’t spend in January, at the moment we aren’t getting a manager probably because we’re still paying CW until the end of the season and also the new man can see his current contract or season to its close.

That's how normal clubs operate though. There's nothing in there to suggest that the manager couldn't be involved in the shortlisting either but generally speaking the recruitment and technical teams should be shortlisting players for the manager to choose from.

Wilder's recruitment at PL level was rank bad which is why we started the game against Wolves with 7 players who played in the Championship with us.

Spot on mate. And wherever he ends up next there will be a DoF and/or someone in charge of transfers - so people who are outraged that we'd force that model onto him/the club need to look around and see it's 2021 not 1981...

And as you say £60m+ on strikers and we still look best when Sharp and McGoldrick play up top. Ultimately the lack of cohesion/playing style between us and Wilder's signings are what cost him his job. Berge, McBurnie, Brewster - all good players, but none really fit the way we play/played...

Back
Top Bottom