Prince Musa'ad appointed chairman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In my opinion the secret of our recents success has been achieved due in part to our absentee Chairmen. This I think allowed Wilder and Bettis a free hand to effectively run the club. Obviously decisions had to be rubber stamped and cheques had to be signed, but with neither Chairman there on a daily basis I think this has helped us more than hindered us.
That’s why I’m not so sure about “the son in law” being installed as a full time chairman living in Sheffield.

Well he's older than the Prince's son who i think was 17 when he got a place on the board.

Prince 2 Bin AL appoints son 3 Bin AL and looks like 1 Bin Laden is coming on board. All aboard the scimitar ride my friends. I’m looking forward to this I think it could be good. I’m just not particularly keen on the broader Saudi human rights picture and how this could affect our club. We’ll see.

I suspect he’s there more as a day to day link back to Abdullah so wont be holding much- if any- actual power. But in a game/industry marketed increasingly worldwide to younger people, is it a bad thing to have a younger perspective/voice in the boardroom?

Based on what he said of his daughter getting involved with the ladies team, it sounds like as a couple they will be relocating to Sheffield.

Hopefully they are humble folk and don't become some power couple!

Some commitment sending your daughter to Sheffield.

Prince 2 Bin AL appoints son 3 Bin AL and looks like 1 Bin Laden is coming on board. All aboard the scimitar ride my friends. I’m looking forward to this I think it could be good. I’m just not particularly keen on the broader Saudi human rights picture and how this could affect our club. We’ll see.

It's the way the English game has gone global and there are now owners of PL Clubs from Iran, Russia, China, America, Thailand, UAE etc. These are the 'big hitters' in the PL and clubs owned by the English are in the lower echelon in this division. To hold owners responsible for perceived 'yooman rights' in their country of birth is a bit wide of the mark.
I bet dyed-in-the-wool fans of Wolves, Man. City, Chelsea etc. were wary when 'these bloody Chinese, Arabs, Russians' etc. came on board. Hasn't worked out too bad tho'.
Could be very exciting times for us Blades.
This guy could afford a toilet made of gold. Too bad the one working model in the world has just been nicked.
The police have nothing to go on...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

I'll start this by saying a huge "I hope I'm wrong" and would love to be proven so, however this appointment is my biggest concern of the whole ownership saga.

I've worked with, dealt with and come up against some young Arab 'businessmen' who have been paid through top universities (Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge etc.) and they still don't know their arse from their elbow. Whereas Abdullah's generation will have possibly known a bit of hardship (although he may be too young even) the under 35's with royal connections in these oil rich countries are a completely different breed.

I'll get shouted down by many I'm sure and again I really hope this guy is the exception to the rule but if he is anything more than a 'face' of the ownership and has any decision making and fiscal power I worry for the future of the club.

I'll start this by saying a huge "I hope I'm wrong" and would love to be proven so, however this appointment is my biggest concern of the whole ownership saga.

I've worked with, dealt with and come up against some young Arab 'businessmen' who have been paid through top universities (Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge etc.) and they still don't know their arse from their elbow. Whereas Abdullah's generation will have possibly known a bit of hardship (although he may be too young even) the under 35's with royal connections in these oil rich countries are a completely different breed.

I'll get shouted down by many I'm sure and again I really hope this guy is the exception to the rule but if he is anything more than a 'face' of the ownership and has any decision making and fiscal power I worry for the future of the club.

Agreed, there are a lot of entitled young royals from the oil rich middle east countries and yes many don't know much about life. But playing devils advocate here, many are extremely successful, particularly in negotiation. Saudi's are really tough to deal with. In addition they will also have connections with money!

Agreed, there are a lot of entitled young royals from the oil rich middle east countries and yes many don't know much about life. But playing devils advocate here, many are extremely successful, particularly in negotiation. Saudi's are really tough to deal with. In addition they will also have connections with money!

They are successful in their own environment. For example if I were to go into a business meeting with a Qatari with a certain surname I know that no matter whether what he suggests is spot on or absolutely stupid it's happening. This way of doing business that breeds the entitlement and also leads to people thinking that they are always right. The worry therefore is that they put a bunch of people on the board who don't stand up to him and we suddenly have a huge problem.

I've highlighted this before on another thread but here goes again.

Living most of my time in Spain i'm familiar with what the "Prince" owner of Malaga has done over the years to destroy the club.

The similarities between Malaga FC and my beloved Blades is remarkable.
The Prince in Malaga moved his young son to Malaga to have a "day to day" interest in the club, it wasn't long before he was handling transfers in & out (the manager had no say - manager left), he sold all the best players and spoke about how they were going to invest in the academy - so they played young academy players that were not ready for the first team - they have a new manager every year and are now 16th in the second division - and still falling!

Before anybody jumps on me, I know not all owners are the same, but the similarities are remarkable - and worrying, especially the comments about investing in the academy because he will expect the academy players to be in the first team - nothing wrong with that as long as they are ready.

I hope i am wrong and wish the Prince the very best, I have no problem with him being in charge if he sticks to his word - but so far they are only words, i do realise it is early days.

I just hope that the club that is "Sheffield United" remains just that.

UTB

They are successful in their own environment. For example if I were to go into a business meeting with a Qatari with a certain surname I know that no matter whether what he suggests is spot on or absolutely stupid it's happening. This way of doing business that breeds the entitlement and also leads to people thinking that they are always right. The worry therefore is that they put a bunch of people on the board who don't stand up to him and we suddenly have a huge problem.
Didn’t we just have that with McCabe?

You are making him sound like an Old Etonian.

Living most of my time in Spain i'm familiar with what the "Prince" owner of Malaga has done over the years to destroy the club.

The Prince in Malaga moved his young son to Malaga to have a "day to day" interest in the club, it wasn't long before he was handling transfers in & out (the manager had no say - manager left), he sold all the best players and spoke about how they were going to invest in the academy - so they played young academy players that were not ready for the first team - they have a new manager every year and are now 16th in the second division - and still falling!

Before anybody jumps on me, I know not all owners are the same, but the similarities are remarkable - and worrying, especially the comments about investing in the academy because he will expect the academy players to be in the first team - nothing wrong with that as long as they are ready.

I hope i am wrong and wish the Prince the very best, I have no problem with him being in charge if he sticks to his word - but so far they are only words, i do realise it is early days.

UTB

I think what you have described at Malaga is similar to what’s happened at S6 over the years under Chansiri.

The prince is not new to the club. He’ll want things done in certain ways but he also has Bettis in place whom he trusts.

Didn’t we just have that with McCabe?

The thing that this whole court case has raised is that we aren't the 'well run club' that McCabe has always peddled (although I suspect all but the most ardent of supporters knew this anyway).

Whether we'll be any better now it's over remains to be seen.

My problem is that:

• I don't want English owners because they are tight.
  • I don't want Middle Eastern owners because I have witnessed them do business and don't like it.
  • I don't want far eastern owners as that has led other clubs into difficulties (Pigs, Birmingham, Villa).
  • I don't American owners because I don't want to become Franchise FC.
  • I don't want Russian owners because they are linked to the oligarchy.
I'm now thinking that this 'young, pacy, black and French' model that so many of our fans have been after on the pitch might also work off the pitch as we don't have many other options?!!!!!!

UTB
The owner of Malaga is a Qatari. In 1992 they went bust and had to start again. They had to sell Malaga to the Qatari because they were in financial difficulties under the previous owner.

So, apart from PA being an Arab and appointing his son to the board (like KM did), what are these ‘remarkable similarities’?

Some commitment sending your daughter to Sheffield.
Skeptics may say 'punishment'.

Joking aside, it was nice to hear the Prince speak about his daughter with evident respect and given the comments (lies?) about him not wanting any women serving him at a game last season, helps alleviate some of the scaremongering.

The thing that this whole court case has raised is that we aren't the 'well run club' that McCabe has always peddled (although I suspect all but the most ardent of supporters knew this anyway).

Whether we'll be any better now it's over remains to be seen.

My problem is that:

• I don't want English owners because they are tight.
  • I don't want Middle Eastern owners because I have witnessed them do business and don't like it.
  • I don't want far eastern owners as that has led other clubs into difficulties (Pigs, Birmingham, Villa).
  • I don't American owners because I don't want to become Franchise FC.
  • I don't want Russian owners because they are linked to the oligarchy.
I'm now thinking that this 'young, pacy, black and French' model that so many of our fans have been after on the pitch might also work off the pitch as we don't have many other options?!!!!!!

I won't rule out Nigerian or Australian just yet then

No bias against the Prince, thought he came across very genuine in his sky sports interview, but I’ll never be happy about Utd having a 26 year old as Chairman.

I’m 33 so not exactly an elder member of the fanbase and I’d always want someone with life experience and the temperament of a man or woman who’s at least middle aged, in charge of the clubs affairs.
33 and your not a football club chairman yet? You need to pull your finger out and stop pissing about.

Back
Top Bottom