Roy's View From... Pre-Match View From Plymouth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Argyle fan here. Thanks for allowing me to register.

I will agree that there are some over-confident messages from our fans in that selection. But I wouldn't take it as disrespect or any deluded sense that we're a better team or expect to win.

As some of you have pointed out on this thread, you've had such a dreadful season that clubs as far down the league as we are think we've got a shot at getting a result. That doesn't mean we expect to win, we could easily be 5-0 down at halftime. It just gives us a bit of confidence that we could somehow nick it if we play out of our skins.

We went to Anfield four years ago when we were in League Two and got a 0-0 draw, only losing the replay 1-0. So we've got fairly recent experience of going to a Premier League club and getting something.

As for what you can expect from us, we like to play football. We tend to play out from the back (which annoys some of our fans big time who think lower league teams should hoof it forward), and will look to work the ball into your box like a poor man's Man City. There won't be many aerial balls into your box so you won't have to worry about us scoring that way.

We're also a young side. Our keeper is 21 and two of our three CBs are 22 and 21. Our main man up front is 21 and his strike partner is 23. If you play senior pros then we'll probably get bullied out of the game. Playing youngsters like Huddersfield did in the last round will probably play into our hands.

You will almost certainly win the game with your superior quality. Our away record is pretty shocking and defensively we concede some laughable goals (you do too, but we don't have Harry Kane up front).

Good luck for the game and in your efforts to stay up - however bleak it's looking right now. We're a very modest-sized club but it's a perpetual sense of annoyance for us that we're the biggest city in Europe to never have had a top-division team. We'd bite your arm off to swap places with you for just one season even if it meant losing every game.
Great post. A few years ago my lad went to Home Park for a Tuesday night midweek league 1 game. We lost 3-0, he got home about 5.00 am, cold, wet, miserable and skint! Except for a select few, any of us can end up quite a bit lower than we expect to be.
Don't have any problems with Argyle- my neighbour is a very exiled (about 50 years!) fan but he still follows Argyle.
Good luck for the game. We're pretty shit this season but we may still do you. Brizzle Rovers fancied their chances but didn't quite crack it, but you never know in the cup! Just sad games like these can't be played with fans!!

Argyle fan here. Thanks for allowing me to register.

I will agree that there are some over-confident messages from our fans in that selection. But I wouldn't take it as disrespect or any deluded sense that we're a better team or expect to win.

As some of you have pointed out on this thread, you've had such a dreadful season that clubs as far down the league as we are think we've got a shot at getting a result. That doesn't mean we expect to win, we could easily be 5-0 down at halftime. It just gives us a bit of confidence that we could somehow nick it if we play out of our skins.

We went to Anfield four years ago when we were in League Two and got a 0-0 draw, only losing the replay 1-0. So we've got fairly recent experience of going to a Premier League club and getting something.

As for what you can expect from us, we like to play football. We tend to play out from the back (which annoys some of our fans big time who think lower league teams should hoof it forward), and will look to work the ball into your box like a poor man's Man City. There won't be many aerial balls into your box so you won't have to worry about us scoring that way.

We're also a young side. Our keeper is 21 and two of our three CBs are 22 and 21. Our main man up front is 21 and his strike partner is 23. If you play senior pros then we'll probably get bullied out of the game. Playing youngsters like Huddersfield did in the last round will probably play into our hands.

You will almost certainly win the game with your superior quality. Our away record is pretty shocking and defensively we concede some laughable goals (you do too, but we don't have Harry Kane up front).

Good luck for the game and in your efforts to stay up - however bleak it's looking right now. We're a very modest-sized club but it's a perpetual sense of annoyance for us that we're the biggest city in Europe to never have had a top-division team. We'd bite your arm off to swap places with you for just one season even if it meant losing every game.
Hate Devon my ex girlfriend is from north Devon! Haha

hope you lot do well this season though a good friend at university’s younger brother did a YTS at Plymouth and got a pro after it...rueben Wilson. Don’t know if he is still there though? Hope he’s doing well, his brother was a top bloke at uni!

Agree. Digging out the comments from before we played Villa 7 years ago would be interesting.

And look what happened there 🙂😔
I think we expected to get our arses kicked if I recall. Probably my favourite ever away day

Well done to this lot for being confident . I hope we smash them up

All the usual cup cliches apply here. They're capabable, they could give us a bloody nose, etc, etc.

But some of those comments are Wednesday-esque.

Can't be easy coming from a part of the country where being the best club is like being the tallest dwarf
Massively disrespectful to Exeter City !!

Cheers Panchero!

Great post. A few years ago my lad went to Home Park for a Tuesday night midweek league 1 game. We lost 3-0, he got home about 5.00 am, cold, wet, miserable and skint! Except for a select few, any of us can end up quite a bit lower than we expect to be.
Don't have any problems with Argyle- my neighbour is a very exiled (about 50 years!) fan but he still follows Argyle.
Good luck for the game. We're pretty shit this season but we may still do you. Brizzle Rovers fancied their chances but didn't quite crack it, but you never know in the cup! Just sad games like these can't be played with fans!!
Slightly more than "a few years!" It wasFebruary 2005. It was snowy and icy. Paddy Kenny got injured early on, Jags went in goal. We got annihilated, and the heater on the coach was broken all the way home. Ended up walking from Handsworth to Intake at about 4am, and had to be back at handsworth for work at asda at 10am the next day. One of my more memorable (for all the wrong reasons) away days!

Slightly more than "a few years!" It wasFebruary 2005. It was snowy and icy. Paddy Kenny got injured early on, Jags went in goal. We got annihilated, and the heater on the coach was broken all the way home. Ended up walking from Handsworth to Intake at about 4am, and had to be back at handsworth for work at asda at 10am the next day. One of my more memorable (for all the wrong reasons) away days!
Those are the ones you remember 😂

Those are the ones you remember 😂
That was during a cracking couple of seasons. Only missed 4 games that season, then managed every single match of the 05/06 promotion season.

Ah to be young, working full time, living at home paying minimal rent, and in the gap between 6th form and Uni again...

(I was royally fucked off when I couldn't carry it on in the prem cos of starting Uni, and the previous 2 seasons' efforts earned me the sum total of zero of these newfangled "loyalty points" things...)

Once again doing this arse about face but got side tracked for a good reason. Read pre match though and decided my comments would be thus.
If I were in Plymouth's shoes, I would be looking to have a real good go so as to rattle United and possibly cause an upset. Therefore their comments were understandable, given our present situation.
Thanks Roy.

Luxury! Some of us had to hitchhike there in the snow and then kip on a traffic island afterwards.*

*Honest!

Back
Top Bottom