Roy's View From... Pre-match View From Man City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure it's arrogant for Manchester City fans to be expecting to beat us. After all, they've lost as many in their last 7 Premier League seasons as we did in our last season (29 games). Pretty sure our comments were similar back in the first L1 season.

So no Archer then. That'll be Osula and Traore up front.
Oh well. Nevermind.

Strange how the old adage sliding doors can change the fortunes of teams..... in 1999 Man.City were 2 goals down in the 85 minute in the DIV.3 !! play off final to..... Gillingham ! Carl Asaba scored the first goal .... they somehow with just a little bit of shall we say .. run of the green... ...something that NEVER seems to come the way of one certain Sheffield United ? managed to end up winning on penalties . Scan forward 20 years and the supporters are now so entitled they pretend to be bored with winning . Would the mega rich owners have bought them all these cups and medals had they lost that match....who knows ? but all proper supporters know that apart from the occasional freak win , only the richest now win anything. UTB.

“Can anyone recommend a small team* that I can start to follow as it is getting a bit repetitive supporting Manchester City, week in week out being the best team in the world. There is no jeopardy anymore, I remember when I was glad when we had 40 points on the board“

I wonder if a few City fans really are beginning to think this? They really are destroying football with their unlimited money, not even the other big clubs can realistically compete financially with them.

For me it’s taking all the fun out of it. Probably every Blade is expecting a defeat and the best we can hope for is to keep the score down. Not so against Liverpool and the like, we’d go into those games at least with the hope of a win but I just don’t feel it when we play City.

How many didn’t go to Wembley because it was them? I personally know of five or six blades who didn’t go who had it been virtually anyone else, would have.

It’s a shame what’s happening to our game. Don’t think anything can be done about it tbh but I’d like to see them eff off to some European Super League where they can play Real Madrid and the like four times a season.

As long as they totally leave the Premier League along with Liverpool etc and never darken its doorstep again.
What rankles is there is no humility, no acknowledgment that this is a rigged contest to all intents and purposes. Instead it’s a school bully’s sneer. They are supposed to win, they have unlimited cash to assemble a team of supermen. What is even worse is that the media are always on the side of Goliath in these premier league games, as their gravy train relies on the big boys winning every week.

Of course they get a few digs in that explain any defeat up front: the referee will allow us to kick their precious millionaires off the park. Because as we know, Premier League refs ALWAYS favour the little guy!

Why are Yorkshire folk called Tykes?

Originally "tyke" was a highly derogatory word, meaning "a crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement"; southerners used the term against Yorkshiremen.

Cheers Roy 👍

I'm predicting 2.2.
Ah...that's why Barnsleys' nickname is 'The Tykes' ..baht reight then 😀😀😀

The big Mancs and big Scousers are the old money aristocrats, Whereas Man City are the lottery win club. When people/clubs get rich so quickly, they tend to forget their roots equally as quick. I’ve still got shirts in my wardrobe that pre-date City’s stint in league one…So it’s not that long ago.

Have known quite a few Manchester City fans over the years and in many ways they were always quite similar to us in outlook. Under achieving biggish clubs who had essentially won bugger all for years leading to a glass half empty outlook on their team.

The arrogance you see now wasn’t really that obvious before all the money landed in their laps.

Yes, very true. Even around the time when they were owned by that shady rich bloke from Thailand (another thing Wednesday have copied from other clubs) Man City fans had a rep for down-in-the-mouth, hangdog pessimism. They were famous for it.

This was no doubt partly due to living so long in the shadow of a more successful and glamorous club a few miles down the road (another thing that Wednesday have, erm, … , etc).

They used to be just like us. Now they’re almost-but-not-quite just like them 🤷‍♂️

“Can anyone recommend a small team* that I can start to follow as it is getting a bit repetitive supporting Manchester City, week in week out being the best team in the world. There is no jeopardy anymore, I remember when I was glad when we had 40 points on the board“

I wonder if a few City fans really are beginning to think this? They really are destroying football with their unlimited money, not even the other big clubs can realistically compete financially with them.

For me it’s taking all the fun out of it. Probably every Blade is expecting a defeat and the best we can hope for is to keep the score down. Not so against Liverpool and the like, we’d go into those games at least with the hope of a win but I just don’t feel it when we play City.

How many didn’t go to Wembley because it was them? I personally know of five or six blades who didn’t go who had it been virtually anyone else, would have.

It’s a shame what’s happening to our game. Don’t think anything can be done about it tbh but I’d like to see them eff off to some European Super League where they can play Real Madrid and the like four times a season.

As long as they totally leave the Premier League along with Liverpool etc and never darken it’s doorstep again.
Completely agree with this, I feel a bit of a buzz leading up to games against other top 6 teams, but coming into games against these I feel flat.

“They’ve signed Archer. That’s straight to the point but doubt we’ll be quivering in our boots about him.
Unlikely to be on target for them as all his shots are straight as an arrow and he doesnt have any other strings to his bow.”

do they know something we don't....

Cheers Roy
Reuben Hoodsey is our next signing (itk)

"Some of their fans were complete arseholes at the semi- final before and after the game even singing the “Champions of europe you’ll never do that ”

Should've called the police mate, we can't allow that sort of thing at football.

My other half is a Citeh season ticket holder along with my daughter . Even she is embarrassed by that shite . City just say NO to drugs !!

I've been racking my brains as to Sunday's line up , we know archers not in yet , any updates on slimane and George ??

They’ve perhaps earned the right to be this arrogant, especially those who were there back in the day.

But based on some of those comments, fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

Yes they’ll probably dry hump us, but being a blade is about so much more than that

My daughters boyfriend who’s a Man City fan says he’s not going to the match as he knows that they’ll win so that’s how cocky they are but that’s young Mancs! On the whole though they are arguably the best team in the world so I can understand the comments I’d settle for 0-0 that’s the equivalent of a win for me.

Presume he doesn't get many (if any?) games based on that philosophy :confused:

Cheers Roy, id take a 2-0 loss right now.

I guess if some of our fans get what they want and we get bought by a rich sugar daddy then we will become as grotesquely entitled as these Manchester City fans.

It is becoming a joke now, what's the point of anyone else trying to compete? As you say, there was a massive lack of interest for the Wembley game and we haven't sold this one either. I actually had a season ticket going free for it and struggled to get any takers!

I was against the European Super League idea, but if they just fucked off from domestic football all together and played in an actual league of Europe, I think our game would be better for it.
I agree with what you say about the European Super League - initially aghast at the idea, but now for it to due to how non-competitive the league is becoming. I do get that the proper fans of the big clubs are generally against leaving domestic league though.

I was wondering if the concept of a new club franchise model (no relegation) for a super league could work. Instead of Manchester United and City having teams in a Super League, you'd have one new Manchester franchise. Similar for London, Liverpool, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Rome, Munich, etc.. Chuck a couple of Saudi Teams in for good measure.

The very top players would then be contracted full time to these teams with no FFP so they can knock themselves out. The domestic leagues in the countries where there is a franchise would have to sign up to stricter FFP rules - transfers capped to £50m and wages to £100k/year say.

May be difficult to establish initially and the EPL would be up in arms of course, but something needs to be done before the league ends up like Scotland.

As is the case with lots of “big six” clubs there’s definitely a split between the old school fans and the Jonny come lately new fans who have jumped on board when they became successful. Have known quite a few Manchester City fans over the years and in many ways they were always quite similar to us in outlook. Under achieving biggish clubs who had essentially won bugger all for years leading to a glass half empty outlook on their team.
The arrogance you see now wasn’t really that obvious before all the money landed in their laps.
Yep. Used to spend time in Manchester with a City player friend 20 odd years ago.

Most City fans were down to earth and more inclined to pessimism than arrogance.

City fans I've met in person have always been disproportionately humble IMO. Online comments always sound arrogant - although in this case arguably logical. United don't stand a chance.

In all fairness we spoke to dozens of MC fans before and after the semi final, and the vast majority of them were down to earth people.

You know if we do pull off this miracle and win…We’ll get absolutely zero credit for it. It’ll all be about Peps absence etc, etc

I agree with what you say about the European Super League - initially aghast at the idea, but now for it to due to how non-competitive the league is becoming. I do get that the proper fans of the big clubs are generally against leaving domestic league though.

I was wondering if the concept of a new club franchise model (no relegation) for a super league could work. Instead of Manchester United and City having teams in a Super League, you'd have one new Manchester franchise. Similar for London, Liverpool, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Rome, Munich, etc.. Chuck a couple of Saudi Teams in for good measure.

The very top players would then be contracted full time to these teams with no FFP so they can knock themselves out. The domestic leagues in the countries where there is a franchise would have to sign up to stricter FFP rules - transfers capped to £50m and wages to £100k/year say.

May be difficult to establish initially and the EPL would be up in arms of course, but something needs to be done before the league ends up like Scotland.

With all due respect, you can fuck right off with that,

The words 'franchise', 'super league' and 'no relegation' ought to produce a two week automatic forum ban. Give you time to think about what a silly billy you have been.

"as long as a balloon doesn’t get in the way again:)"

Really?

Screenshot_20230826_093728_Chrome.jpg

Reading the PMV, so easy to pick out the genuine MC fan and the glory seekers.
Nil points SUFC, with the best intensions I can see no other result.
Upwards and onwards. UTB.
Thank you Roy.:cool:

"More than likely a physical encounter, hopefully our class shines through."

Short memories, but then the vast majority probably didn't watch em' until they moved to the COM.

Cheers Panchero!

Just had a look at Man City forum, there's going to be a lot of anger about their arrogant comments when the View From appears!

Back
Top Bottom