Pre-Match Pubs (Matilda)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rodley

Reaction score
Apparently The Matilda is being refurbished and reopened - will be ready for the Bournemouth game. Always looked in pretty bad nick when I’ve wandered past on the way to the ground. Anyone else heard this?

What with the Sheffield Tap, The Rutty, Fanny’s, Industry Tap, Triple Point Brewery, Red Lion, the stroll from the station to BDTBL has some fantastic places to drink. Throw in London Road options and town, it must be one of the best away games for a beer in the country!

What’s everyone’s prematch venue of choice? Anything new opened this season worth checking out?

I’ll be cycling past it twice on Friday so will have a look. As Rodley says, it looked derelict last time I went past it not too long ago.

Are you sure it's the Matilda being refurbished?

There's an art galley on Sydney Street that is opening a bar in the basement which will be called 'Matilda'. It's near where the old pub is but a totally different venture. Perhaps that's what you've heard about?

Not sure if the Matilda is re-opening but a new 'Subterranean' bar is opening on the corner of Matilda Street and Sydney Street soon. This is from 'Exposed' magazine. The last paragraph does say the Matilda Tavern is to re-open 'soon'.
IMG_0280.JPG

Subterranean bar to open this month
EXPOSED MAGAZINE
on 7th January 2020 at 12:29 pm
An underground bar connected to the Sydney and Matilda art gallery is set to open at the end of this month.

“If the lanterns are glowing, we are open, enter the door on the corner,” owner Al Daw tells us. “And soon you will find yourself under the street in the Matilda bar. It’s somewhat of a tribute to the style and laid back attitude of a traditional working mans’ club with an underground speakeasy atmosphere.”

The Matilda bar offers a friendly, relaxed environment that’s unpretentious and welcoming but still retains a private feel. Visitors can expect specially created cocktails, local craft beer as well as more off-beat wines and spirits from Asia and Eastern Europe.

Al added: “We are programming grass-roots, live-music, performance and events for Matilda. Part of Sidney (the warehouse gallery space) is being converted into a lounge bar area with more of a pub feel, complete with artist library and revolving exhibition displays alongside traditional pub games such as table football and darts as well as arcade games.

“We feel the subterranean basement bar, cultural programming and Cultural Industries Quarter location alongside the connection to the gallery is unique. The space is a hybrid of inspiration from Berlin, Brooklyn, London and Paris and we are delighted to be able to bring this to Sheffield.”

With new neighbours Industry Tap, Triple Point and the soon to re-open Matilda Tavern alongside local favourites the Lord Nelson and the Rutland Arms, it’s shaping up to be another attractive area for Sheffield’s drinkers.

Edit. Just seen the post from Cassius Kray

Last edited:
Not sure if the Matilda is re-opening but a new 'Subterranean' bar is opening on the corner of Matilda Street and Sydney Street soon. This is from 'Exposed' magazine

View attachment 68071

EXPOSED MAGAZINE
An underground bar connected to the Sydney and Matilda art gallery is set to open at the end of this month.

“If the lanterns are glowing, we are open, enter the door on the corner,” owner Al Daw tells us. “And soon you will find yourself under the street in the Matilda bar. It’s somewhat of a tribute to the style and laid back attitude of a traditional working mans’ club with an underground speakeasy atmosphere.”

The Matilda bar offers a friendly, relaxed environment that’s unpretentious and welcoming but still retains a private feel. Visitors can expect specially created cocktails, local craft beer as well as more off-beat wines and spirits from Asia and Eastern Europe.

Al added: “We are programming grass-roots, live-music, performance and events for Matilda. Part of Sidney (the warehouse gallery space) is being converted into a lounge bar area with more of a pub feel, complete with artist library and revolving exhibition displays alongside traditional pub games such as table football and darts as well as arcade games.

“We feel the subterranean basement bar, cultural programming and Cultural Industries Quarter location alongside the connection to the gallery is unique. The space is a hybrid of inspiration from Berlin, Brooklyn, London and Paris and we are delighted to be able to bring this to Sheffield.”

With new neighbours Industry Tap, Triple Point and the soon to re-open Matilda Tavern alongside local favourites the Lord Nelson and the Rutland Arms, it’s shaping up to be another attractive area for Sheffield’s drinkers.

“ It’s somewhat of a tribute to the style and laid back attitude of a traditional working mans’ club with an underground speakeasy atmosphere.”

Said a cunt with a beard, ponytail and burgundy coloured moleskin trousers.

Not sure if the Matilda is re-opening but a new 'Subterranean' bar is opening on the corner of Matilda Street and Sydney Street soon. This is from 'Exposed' magazine

View attachment 68071

EXPOSED MAGAZINE

That’ll be the one in bold.

Sorry Sean. I thought it sounded just up your street ;)

Well I can’t recall men in Zoot suits Mingling with the bingo players and listening to Ron Delta in the Park Gardeners.

As for “laid back“ he’s clearly never been in a WMC Sunday dinnertime when there was a pudding burner shouting “house”.

Well I can’t recall men in Zoot suits Mingling with the bingo players and listening to Ron Delta in the Park Gardeners.

As for “laid back“ he’s clearly never been in a WMC Sunday dinnertime when there was a pudding burner shouting “house”.
And no doubt followed by Tony Whyte and The Discoes.

Went past Matilda on Sunday on way to Lord Nelson. Looks like they're building a beer garden at the back. Front now has two metal black shutters. Still looks some way off opening.

I heard about a year ago it was to Re-Open.
They have been working on it for at least that time (I drive past most mornings to work) on some occasions you could see inside if the door is open, it was just a shell the last time I managed to get a look inside about a month ago.
Did notice what looked like a beer garden at the back, but that was done months ago.
Seemed strange they did the beer garden before the inside.

Apparently The Matilda is being refurbished and reopened - will be ready for the Bournemouth game. Always looked in pretty bad nick when I’ve wandered past on the way to the ground. Anyone else heard this?

What with the Sheffield Tap, The Rutty, Fanny’s, Industry Tap, Triple Point Brewery, Red Lion, the stroll from the station to BDTBL has some fantastic places to drink. Throw in London Road options and town, it must be one of the best away games for a beer in the country!

What’s everyone’s prematch venue of choice? Anything new opened this season worth checking out?
Excellent news that used to be me and my dad’s haunt bc (before children). I have vague memories of a very sexy barmaid or was that just much ale?

I think we tend be very conservative when it come to our choice of pre-match watering holes. I don’t live in Sheff so I’m straight off the train and into a cab that takes me straight outside the Cremourne.....Back up to the Crem after the game for a reflective couple o pints then.....fuck off home. So win,lose or draw........My perfect day.

Back
Top Bottom