Pre Forest Positivity

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
We're not ones to get carried away us Blades so no chance of any tempting fate.

But I would like to share some positive thoughts as the Play offs approach. Reasons for optimism at least:

1. Home record - we've conceded just 4 at home this year and even the mighty Mitro couldn't breach our rearguard.

2. Sharing the goals - far from collapsing under Sharp's absence, cometh the moment, cometh the men - N'Diaye, Gibbs-White, Berge, Stevens, Hourihane, Robinson have all weighed in of late, spreading the burden.

3. Scoring goals and recent form - that's now 7 in the last 135 minutes, not to mention multiple other chances created. Our recent form is P3 W3. Forest have won 1 of their last 3.

4. Big Game Experience - of the likely starting XI vs Forest, 8 contributed to our 9th placed PL finish and the other 3 are not bad either - N'Diaye has now bagged 4 in 5 including 3 in the past 3, Gibbs-White won Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year and Wes has taken the Player's Player of the Year.

5. Head to Head - Forest were never in the ascendency in either games against us. This including a real low for us where we were without starters Bogle, Baldock, Basham, Stevens, O'Connell, Goode, McGoldrick, Brewster, and both McBurnie and Osborn we're not fully fit Fleck was only just back and we had to play an untried kid at right wing back against a Forest team with Davis brilliantly leading the line (now injured). Even then they were only able to steal a point in injury time.

6. Record vs Top 6 - we have one of the better records vs the top 6 teams. I think we are top two in terms of home record against the others and still at a good level for away fixtures. I seem to think overall we are top of the Play Off teams.

7. XG Table - out of the Play Off teams, we are the only one well below our xG where we ought to have been 3rd (notwithstanding the poor decisions in Bournemouth's favour and against us!). This suggests we are the one team that is better than the league placing suggests. Now we appear to be taking the chances we are creating which augers well.

UTB

Attachments

• 20220510_123836.png
    20220510_123836.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Have the same 3 teams who have come down ever gone back up to the Premier League together ?
Nice touch on the positivity, feel a bit more confident after reading it. Just my negativity letting me down. Hope someone comes up with a yes it's happened before.

Have the same 3 teams who have come down ever gone back up to the Premier League together ?
Nice touch on the positivity, feel a bit more confident after reading it. Just my negativity letting me down. Hope someone comes up with a yes it's happened before.
It won't be this year anyway, West Brom finished mid-table.

We're not ones to get carried away us Blades so no chance of any tempting fate.

But I would like to share some positive thoughts as the Play offs approach. Reasons for optimism at least:

1. Home record - we've conceded just 4 at home this year and even the mighty Mitro couldn't breach our rearguard.

2. Sharing the goals - far from collapsing under Sharp's absence, cometh the moment, cometh the men - N'Diaye, Gibbs-White, Berge, Stevens, Hourihane, Robinson have all weighed in of late, spreading the burden.

3. Scoring goals and recent form - that's now 7 in the last 135 minutes, not to mention multiple other chances created. Our recent form is P3 W3. Forest have won 1 of their last 3.

4. Big Game Experience - of the likely starting XI vs Forest, 8 contributed to our 9th placed PL finish and the other 3 are not bad either - N'Diaye has now bagged 4 in 5 including 3 in the past 3, Gibbs-White won Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year and Wes has taken the Player's Player of the Year.

5. Head to Head - Forest were never in the ascendency in either games against us. This including a real low for us where we were without starters Bogle, Baldock, Basham, Stevens, O'Connell, Goode, McGoldrick, Brewster, and both McBurnie and Osborn we're not fully fit Fleck was only just back and we had to play an untried kid at right wing back against a Forest team with Davis brilliantly leading the line (now injured). Even then they were only able to steal a point in injury time.

6. Record vs Top 6 - we have one of the better records vs the top 6 teams. I think we are top two in terms of home record against the others and still at a good level for away fixtures. I seem to think overall we are top of the Play Off teams.

7. XG Table - out of the Play Off teams, we are the only one well below our xG where we ought to have been 3rd
This suggests we are the one team that is better than the league placing suggests. Now we appear to be taking the chances we are creating which augers well.

UTB
That’s us fkd then 😂

It's odd. I can't remember ever being this team before. The one coming into the play-offs, a little unexpectedly, riding on a wave of a bit of momentum.

When I look at it statistically, there's not a great deal to separate ourselves and Forest. We drew 1-1 in the head-to-heads.
We both changed managers and then became one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the league.
Their run was better, but ultimately it's only 5 points between us and one league position.
And whilst they come into it off the back of a couple of bad results and hopefully feeling a little despondent, we come in off the back of 3 wins. 2 of them very good wins.

Keinan Davis is a massive loss for them. He was by far their best player at the Lane and probably the best forward I saw all season at the Lane.

I don't want to be optimistic, because it's not in my nature as a Blade that's watched us mess up the play-offs numerous times...
but at the same time, I like where we are as a team.

The front 3 have clicked at the right time. Their movement and creativity is a cut above at this level and they've started to add composed finishing into it too.
Their tails are up at the moment and in MGW, I think we have the best creative player in the division.

Norwood has suddenly stepped up in the middle of the park and is finishing the season as our key man. He's getting around the park so much better and using his right foot further up the park. If we can keep the ball better, it allows Norwood to roam. We become so much more effective when this happens, as when he sits in the pocket he can be marked out of games and we struggle to find any rhythm.
John Fleck loves a big game and when he's on it, there's very few better at progressing us up the park.

The back 5 regularly get shut-outs and we have the league's best goalkeeper in Wes Foderingham (still can't believe I'm writing that sentence).

My concern is that our weakness is at wing-back and, unfortunately, Forest's strength comes from wide.
If we are to lose this, you feel it will be Johnson and Spence getting goal side of Osborn (a fill in RWB) and Stevens (improving, but still not at old levels) in the box.

The first fixture is key to our chances.
We're strong at home, so if we can beat them and go to the City Ground with something to hang onto, then I'd fancy us to protect whatever we have.
Fail to win the home leg and it's a mountain to climb given our away form and the confidence that they'll take from getting a result in our backyard.

I certainly wouldn't buy into any theories that the winner of ours, goes up.
Huddersfield are an excellent side and extremely tough to beat.

Last edited:
Forest were never in the ascendency in either games against us. This including a real low for us where we were without starters Bogle, Baldock, Basham, Stevens, O'Connell, Goode, McGoldrick, Brewster, and both McBurnie and Osborn we're not fully fit Fleck was only just back and we had to play an untried kid at right wing back against a Forest team with Davis brilliantly leading the line (now injured). Even then they were only able to steal a point in injury time.
They bloody were!! I'd agree with everything you've said apart from this- at Bramall Lane they twatted us for the first hour and our first half hour was bleedin awful! We showed great character to come back and could have won it in the end but they dominated most of the game.

We're much stronger than then though, whereas they have a few injuries and are showing (some) signs of flagging. I reckon we've got to go all out though first leg- turn out one of 'those' performances and we could have one foot in the final. Turn out one of 't'other' performances and 2nd leg there'd be tough. Ignore that last sentence though, this is the positive thread.

I'd argue our team now compared even to the one that played at the lane a couple months back are not quite the same. Physically they're pretty much the same but they're going in to these matches off the back of two brilliant wins, seemingly some actual chemistry between them, confidence, momentum and if they keep that up there's no reason at all we couldn't beat Forest. We don't even know how they will perform, theirs a chance (small as it may be) the pressure may get them and they bottle it. Can't see it but it could happen.

The squad is so very capable of it.

It's odd. I can't remember ever being this team before. The one coming into the play-offs, a little unexpectedly, riding on a wave of a bit of momentum.

When I look at it statistically, there's not a great deal to separate ourselves and Forest. We drew 1-1 in the head-to-heads.
We both changed managers and then became one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the league.
Their run was better, but ultimately it's only 5 points between us and one league position.
And whilst they come into it off the back of a couple of bad results and hopefully feeling a little despondent, we come in off the back of 3 wins. 2 of them very good wins.

Keinan Davis is a massive loss for them. He was by far their best player at the Lane and probably the best forward I saw all season at the Lane.

I don't want to be optimistic, because it's not in my nature as a Blade that's watched us mess up the play-offs numerous times...
but at the same time, I like where we are as a team.

The front 3 have clicked at the right time. Their movement and creativity is a cut above at this level and they've started to add composed finishing into it too.
Their tails are up at the moment and in MGW, I think we have the best creative player in the division.

Norwood has suddenly stepped up in the middle of the park and is finishing the season as our key man. He's getting around the park so much better and using his right foot further up the park. If we can keep the ball better, it allows Norwood to roam. We become so much more effective when this happens, as when he sits in the pocket he can be marked out of games and we struggle to find any rhythm.
John Fleck loves a big game and when he's on it, there's very few better.

The back 5 regularly get shut-outs and we have the league's best goalkeeper in Wes Foderingham (still can't believe I'm writing that sentence).

My concern is that our weakness is at wing-back and, unfortunately, Forest's strength comes from wide. If we are to mess up you feel it will be Johnson and Spence getting goal side of Osborn (a fill in RWB) and Stevens (improving, but still not at old levels).

I think the first fixture is key. We're strong at home. If we can beat them and go to the City Ground with something to hang onto, then I'd fancy us to protect whatever we have.
Fail to win that first one and it's a mountain to climb with our away form and the confidence they'll take from getting a result in our backyard.

I certainly wouldn't buy into any theories that the winner of ours, goes up.
Huddersfield are an excellent side and extremely tough to beat.
I totally agreed with you there Captain, until …… “ if we beat them at home and go to the City Ground with something to hang on to, than protect whatever we have”

I think we are a far stronger team when we attack the opposition ie. second half QPR and home to Fulham. Even with a slender lead we should go out and play attacking football, currently no other teams can live with us at that level of intensity. “Holding on” could be our downfall.

UTB !

I'll put a miserable spin on this.....

Forest have scored 25% of the goals we've conceded at home this year.
...and we’re better than us at BL
However they too have striker problems and are as worried as much about us as we are of them.
I see either one goal in it or penalties !!

It will be mega tough against a very good Forest side....but....we have hit a bit of form just at the right time and they appear to be stumbling a bit, maybe the momentum they had built is crashing, just as ours did in 2003....?

Key player for them is Keinan Davis, who was exceptional against us at BDTBL in the League game....out with a Hamstring injury, expected to be 4 to 5 weeks.....that was 3 weeks ago now so he could be back....his presence in the side gives Zinkernagel freedom to roam but without him they look weak up front and Egan should be able to keep Surridge deep within his pocket.

I totally agreed with you there Captain, until …… “ if we beat them at home and go to the City Ground with something to hang on to, than protect whatever we have”

I think we are a far stronger team when we attack the opposition ie. second half QPR and home to Fulham. Even with a slender lead we should go out and play attacking football, currently no other teams can live with us at that level of intensity. “Holding on” could be our downfall.

UTB !
The one thing we are shit at, and have been for years is 'holding on'.

If we run it into the corner you know full well a goal scoring opportunity is coming at the other end.

...and we’re better than us at BL
However they too have striker problems and are as worried as much about us as we are of them.
I see either one goal in it or penalties !!
The few Forest fans I know think they’ve got a bye to the final. They are one set of fans I really dislike and I’d love to see us not just scrape past them but really show them how good we can be.

Under any other circumstances I'd feel confident about our chances.

My only negative is that I've been convinced for a good while that this is Forest's year to be promoted.

That's why I was desperate for them to beat Bornmuff.

The few Forest fans I know think they’ve got a bye to the final. They are one set of fans I really dislike and I’d love to see us not just scrape past them but really show them how good we can be.
I live in Nottingham and whilst many think they will win over two legs, they are well aware of how good we can be.
That’s probably just like us !

I live in Nottingham and whilst many think they will win over two legs, they are well aware of how good we can be.
I think they rubbed me up the wrong way last night as well because I was giving some pigs stick in a whatsapp group that we're all in. One of them was saying that he knows how the pigs feel being a massive club in the wrong league and that pigs and Forest both 'deserve' promotion based on their size. FFS

The Mrs' family are overly confident, I hope we bloody stuff em'.

Forest were fantastic at Bramall Lane, possibly the best side I saw. They bossed the game and despite equalising at the end should've been out of sight. Having said that, we look different now and it was evident on Saturday that there was a real togetherness.

Forest were fantastic at Bramall Lane, possibly the best side I saw. They bossed the game and despite equalising at the end should've been out of sight. Having said that, we look different now and it was evident on Saturday that there was a real togetherness.

I agree, they were by far the better team. We really need to make Saturday count, take our chances and give them nothing. Away at the City ground will be tough. I'm not saying "get the job done" on Saturday, but a good result will go a long way towards it. Lose on Saturday and it'll be very hard.

I think they rubbed me up the wrong way last night as well because I was giving some pigs stick in a whatsapp group that we're all in. One of them was saying that he knows how the pigs feel being a massive club in the wrong league and that pigs and Forest both 'deserve' promotion based on their size. FFS
I know the pigs massiveness complex is well known but FFS aren’t they just a bit bored of themselves by now? Such a bunch of one dimensional boring, boring fuckwits. Boring on about how wonderful their fan base is for decades now.

And this toadying around other clubs that they think are also big clubs and poor boohoo victims of circumstance and the pigs and them should by rights be in the champions league together is so utterly pathetic. What a bunch of tossers.

There I’ve said it it. The pigs are tossers. Sorry you had to hear that.

Yeah and I don’t think we were that bad, they were just excellent - yet they still only got a draw.

We have absolutely nothing to fear in this group. We are the form team.

Depends how far you go with form.

Last 5 games, we both have 10pts
Last 10 games, Forest best in league with 22pts. We're 4th with 18pts.

Forest have won 14 out of their last 20 League Games
We've won 10 out of our last 20 League Games

They bloody were!! I'd agree with everything you've said apart from this- at Bramall Lane they twatted us for the first hour and our first half hour was bleedin awful! We showed great character to come back and could have won it in the end but they dominated most of the game.

We're much stronger than then though, whereas they have a few injuries and are showing (some) signs of flagging. I reckon we've got to go all out though first leg- turn out one of 'those' performances and we could have one foot in the final. Turn out one of 't'other' performances and 2nd leg there'd be tough. Ignore that last sentence though, this is the positive thread.
I meant score-wise. It was either 0-0 or we were winning and them coming back to equalise.

Berge, Iliman and MGW are the best front 3 in the division bar Fulham for link up. Egan, Norwood and Stevens are playing like their old selves and Wes is as dependable as ever. So yes, more optimistic than if we scraped through on a technicality and played Blackwell football throughout.

Still think Forest are a good side. Got plenty of pace and Garner in the middle is a cracking player who we should look at if we do go up:

Think we need to win by more than 2 Saturday to stand a chance as I don’t trust our away form and Forest will be bang up for it anyway at the City ground.

Going to be tough again against a good forest side. However we will be also stronger with players returning from injury especially that right hand side of our defence

I'm not sure what game you were watching

Back
Top Bottom