Poor "defending" by Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
Just watched the game back and Souza made no attempt to stop Manure's winner. Why did he just stand there with his arms by his side and not try to put in a tackle. Some are saying Wes should have done better but for me Souza was the culprit. Not good enough.

Just rewatched the goal, zero chance Souza can actually close Dalot down quickly enough to prevent the shot, he does put a foot out to try and block it, and he puts his arms there so as not to potentially concede a free kick. You're trying to find a scapegoat for what's a fucking good strike

Wes though??? 🤔

I'm undecided if Wes should have done better and he got 2 hands to it. I'm a big fan but at 33 probably shows why he hasn't played in the PL before.

Top championship keeper that has to save a lot though!

Last edited:
There was an occassion (maybe more) where we were trying to open up space in their box to create a shooting opportunity. They were closing us down and the ball pinged about and the opportunity was lost.

Souza needed to close down sooner.

These are the 'fine margins'. One lapse and it can be game over.

Saw a stat on sky sports news the other day that Wes has made the most saves think it was 29 miles ahead of the other keepers on the same graphic. So we have conceded the most and saved the most. Great stats not. For my 2 penneth he should have saved that Dalot strike.

Yep, this was why I made a thread about him the other day. He is far too lazy and half hearted for me. Wes I think should have gone with one hand as he’d of been able to stretch a bit further, there is a reason why he hasn’t played in the premier league before. He is a mid championship gk who had exceeded his own standards last year.

I must say, I can see why the Espanyol fans did not have any great things to say about him after getting relegated last year.

Could've closed down better. Maybe Wes should do a bit better. For me though, if someone pings one in from there you don't complain too much.

The first goal bothered me a lot more. How can a player have such a clear sight on goal in our box? And that goal is something of a recurring theme.
Yeah my thoughts too.

Second goal was a good strike, there's if's but's and maybe's but it's a good strike from outside the box.

The first is embarrassing defending.

The word "apathy" resonates. The first-half performance away at West Ham finished me. I had so much optimism after the first 5 games and had hoped Newcastle was just a blip.
However, it was clear at West Ham that it had caused irreversible damage to confidence. They toyed with us and we didn't lay a glove on them. 2-0 down at HT, game comfortably won.
The injuries we've had since have killed all remaining hope of recovery. It's going to be bad and possibly (maybe even probably) historically so.

It was nice day when we played Fulham so I decided to go for a walk in the Peaks instead. It impacts my mood too much watching us play without heart. I sat through every game during the covid disaster season as we all had nothing better to do... Now?
I'll probably watch the rugby instead and spend time with my family. We'll sack Hecky soon (harshly) and my interest might return out of pure curiosity... but nothing is going to resuscitate our season. Its dead. We need proper investment, the Prince will kill this club if the parachute payments don't save us.

Just rewatched the goal, zero chance Souza can actually close Dalot down quickly enough to prevent the shot, he does put a foot out to try and block it, and he puts his arms there so as not to potentially concede a free kick. You're trying to find a scapegoat for what's a fucking good strike
So i'm trying to find a scapegoat? Stupid response. I was giving my views on what i thought was a defender not totally being committed. Guess you've never played football.

So i'm trying to find a scapegoat? Stupid response. I was giving my views on what i thought was a defender not totally being committed. Guess you've never played football.

I'm struggling to work out the relevance of me having played football or not has to being able to watch a five second clip and thinking "nothing he could have done there". Maybe if I'd played at a higher level, I'd have been able to go "yep, that's Souza's fault" instead?

There is every chance he can. Dalot was his man, as soon as the pass was made he should have been closing him down, he should have stepped out before the pass - he's doing nothing where he is. Dalot shouldn't have been allowed a touch never mind the shot. Souza is purportedly a 'defensive' defensive midfielder. He doesn't do anything with the ball, so he better be bloody good at the defensive side of the game and he's not.

If this was a one off then maybe it would be harsh on him but this is a pattern, Vini flat-foot always lets his man gets his shot away. At spurs they had about 20 shots from the edge of our area with no pressure. Thats his job, thats his bare minimum - and he's not even doing that.

There is every chance he can. Dalot was his man, as soon as the pass was made he should have been closing him down, he should have stepped out before the pass - he's doing nothing where he is. Dalot shouldn't have been allowed a touch never mind the shot. Souza is purportedly a 'defensive' defensive midfielder. He doesn't do anything with the ball, so he better be bloody good at the defensive side of the game and he's not.

If this was a one off then maybe it would be harsh on him but this is a pattern, Vini flat-foot always lets his man gets his shot away. At spurs they had about 20 shots from the edge of our area with no pressure. Thats his job, thats his bare minimum - and he's not even doing that.
Agreed, he should have been more aware of the danger and pushed out further to snuff it out. Lack of concentration and fitness.

There is every chance he can. Dalot was his man, as soon as the pass was made he should have been closing him down, he should have stepped out before the pass - he's doing nothing where he is. Dalot shouldn't have been allowed a touch never mind the shot.

I mean this is more a question of defensive strategy than particular decision making - I strongly doubt that Souza would actually have been able to intercept the pass, but let's say that he does actually get there - where does the clearance go to? How much space on the edge of the box do Man U have which Souza has just vacated? If he tries to get there and doesn't make it, do we end up giving away a free kick just far enough out that Fernandes or whoever has enough distance to get it up and down? Can Dalot play a first time ball into someone who now has more space to run into? It's not quite as simple as "well he should have got there". I would guess that most managers would be just fine with allowing Man U's (checks notes) full back from taking a low percentage pot shot from 25 out

He’s crap

End of

Had a really good first half. Much better than what he's shown recently.
So in the early part of the second half Souza went missing. I reckon that he was was told to man-mark McTominay who was also anonymous until he went off, which makes logical sense given that he was a nuisance in the first half, but it did mean that we lost Souza's disruptive role for that time.

He's a professional footballer....are you? He isnt crap. He has reached the pinacle of his sport, playing and getting paid professionally. Now, he might not be Premier League quality, fair enough. But never call a professional footballer crap....end of.
Mate

He is crap I don’t care how you dress it up

Had a really good first half. Much better than what he's shown recently.
Indeed, excellent first half, perhaps struggled in the second like everyone did.

Peoples need to blame, belittle and scapegoat players is... Well, why do it?! None of the players are "not trying".

The team overall has problems with availability, stamina and cohesion. The cohesion is partly to do with the availability and stamina elements.

My overall take from Saturday was largely positive and increased confidence, so I've been really surprised to see so many negative views when reading the forum this week.

Indeed, excellent first half, perhaps struggled in the second like everyone did.

Peoples need to blame, belittle and scapegoat players is... Well, why do it?! None of the players are "not trying".

The team overall has problems with availability, stamina and cohesion. The cohesion is partly to do with the availability and stamina elements.

My overall take from Saturday was largely positive and increased confidence, so I've been really surprised to see so many negative views when reading the forum this week.
Yep, don't disagree with any of that.

I think we struggled second half, in part, because Man U moved Lindelof further up and more centrally - essentially an extra midfielder. They realised we were posing little threat up top without McBurnie and were confident enough to sacrifice him to push our midfield, and McAtee especially, backwards. I think the whole midfield struggled from that point onwards - obviously including Souza and Norwood who had to cope with an extra body.

Overall it was a much improved performance. I don't quite get the negativity either. Ok, second half we looked a little incoherent when we lost our main man up top but the first half performance can be built on.

Back
Top Bottom