Please Stay Kevin McDonald

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From Kevin's point of view though it depends what he's after. If its money then moving to Wolves is probably a no-brainer. He won't be as well liked by the fans there and won't be guaranteed a starting place like he seems to be at the lane.

As apparently Jackett tried to sign him for Millwall a year ago it does seem he's very much a fan of his though.

If only I knew the money for McDonald was going to be re-invested then I would be ok. We are a striker short so with this money we should be able to bring one in and a player like Robbie Blake or a young loan to replace McDonald

Isn't Robbie Blake about 80?

players much much better than kmac leave bigger clubs for money reasons, we shouldnt get upset about it

let weir find someone with the hunger to drag us up , football is full of challenges

The players are out there, I just hope Weir finds one. Take Ed Upson at Yeovil & Luke Freeman at Stevenage. How did they end up with these players? Are we looking in the wrong places?

As apparently Jackett tried to sign him for Millwall a year ago it does seem he's very much a fan of his though.
Yeah Jackett seems to stalk United: Henderson, Monty and now K Mac. I said it at start of the season: KMac is the one player that we didn't have sufficient cover for.
DW plays him in a pivotal role in 4231 formation and tbh in needs a player that's comfortable on the ball and has a bit of vision. i personally don't see where there's a natural replacement within the squad (that's fit).
This is bad news chaps

Yeah Jackett seems to stalk United: Henderson, Monty and now K Mac. I said it at start of the season: KMac is the one player that we didn't have sufficient cover for.
DW plays him in a pivotal role in 4231 formation and tbh in needs a player that's comfortable on the ball and has a bit of vision. i personally don't see where there's a natural replacement within the squad (that's fit).
This is bad news chaps

For now - Coady. need a long term one though

2 things (unless I think of some more while I'm writing);

What will Weir think about the ambitions of SUFC if McCabe gives in to selling one of our best players at such an inopportune time. Won't Weir be in the probationary (therefore easy in/easy out) period of his employ or doesn't it work like that?

I think it is highly likely that players and club officials read forums like this. In their position you would wouldn't you? I mean of course you would...

To a certain extent McCabe's hand may be forced if there is a clause in McDonald's contract. We could offer him more money, but we may be close to, or already up to, the limit of what we can pay in wages under league rules. If that is the case our only other option is to try and get more money for him by getting someone else interested in buying him and thereby avoid selling him to one of our rivals .

Personally I think Murphy should be given the position today. He certainly isn't a winger

What would you sack him for?

We could set him up in a sting! Maybe we could get Howard, Williams and Porter to a hotel room and send in Mic to go in dressed as a woman. I don't think I need to continue giving you a picture at this point!

I forgot ,Mcginn too ,who I actually rate the best of the lot.

If McDonald does leave, I wouldn't mind seeing McGinn play in that forward midfield position. Notts County was only one game, but his passing ability seemed well up to the mark.

Time to move on I think. A professional footballer plays for whoever offers him the most. That's not us in the foreseeable future. It's a team game though so let's see how the team reacts.

I agree, McDonald has clearly indicated what is inside his head and, even if he didn’t go to Wolves, he has marked his own card. What this season will require is a tight knit team with everyone pulling in the same direction.

I am not criticising McDonald, he has every right to do the best for himself as he sees it, career-wise. If he has a clause in his contract then that is the end of the story, he is only exercising his legitimate options so let him get on with it and look forward.

I think he is a decent player at the third tier level but he is one-paced and in my view, his tendency to constantly slow down play last year was an important factor in there being so many draws, when wins were there for the taking, at the Lane. This point has been well illustrated by the first two games of this season. A promising performance against Notts, with the ball being zipped about very quickly (including by McDonald) and opposing defenders being put under pressure, followed by a more Wilsonesque performance against Burton. McDonald played against Burton and showed absolutely no sign of unlocking a fourth tier defence, albeit a decent one. That was in contrast with Lyle Taylor's little cameo where he played with a bit of fire in his belly and immediately put the Burton defence under pressure.

So time to move on methinks and let Kev McD go with our thanks. I think Doyle, McGinn and Coady are a decent centre midfield three. I am more concerned about the defence and striking options (in that order) and this may free up some resources to address those problems. I say may because although I think within the wider team management, players and supporters are doing their bit within the resources at their disposal, the jury is very much still out with regard to the Board and more particularly the owners. This little saga could provide an interesting test of their honest and integrity in relation to developing the football club as opposed to preserving their commercial asset.

Maybe just maybe McDonald wants to stay is talking to Wolves to get a payrise out of us. I have done it a few times in my career so far with mixed results!

I don't see him fancying going back to playing a 4-4-2 either

Thanks Bart,

BUT

Look at the efforts Liverpool are putting up to try and keep Suarez who supposedly has this clause that he goes if a penny over £40M is offered. Now I hear Gordon Taylor suggesting that the 'release clause' for Suarez isn't binding and it just makes me think that LFC have more professional lawyers and (therefore) more savvy owners than we do.

We are not Liverpool.

We are a third division club with no money and no clout.

We haven't won a trophy since we won the 4th Division 30 years ago and before that we won the FA Cup in 1925 and the Second Division in 1953.

To us Blades we are awesome.

To everybody else we are no-marks

We could set him up in a sting! Maybe we could get Howard, Williams and Porter to a hotel room and send in Mic to go in dressed as a woman. I don't think I need to continue giving you a picture at this point!

Too fucking late. I need a wash after that. Yuk. :D

Simple fella if you don't want to wear the red n white stripes you know where the door is, just watch it doesn't whack you on the arse on the way out.
I said the same last year when this guy and his mate Williamson were refusing to sign new contracts and were both busy whoring themselves to any club showing an interest, Danny Wilson should have fooked them off then rather than waiting months for them to make up their minds. the only reason we got McDonald last season was that no clubs were prepared to offer him a better contract than we did. That says to me the guy thinks he is a lot better than he actually is, yes he is a gifted player but mentally he is weak and tends to go missing when times get tough otherwise he wouldn't be playing for Sheffield United and certainly not in League One.

We are not Liverpool.

We are a third division club with no money and no clout.

We haven't won a trophy since we won the 4th Division 30 years ago and before that we won the FA Cup in 1925 and the Second Division in 1953.

To us Blades we are awesome.

To everybody else we are no-marks

We're not comparing Sheff Utd against Liverpool, we are comparing Sheff Utd V Wolves against Liverpool v Arsenal.

Arsenal are the team Liverpool need to be aiming at finishing above
We should be looking to finish above Wolves

In both ours and Liverpool's case, you don't want to see your player to that team if you can help it. Give McDonald a couple of grand and move on or allow DW to have the transfer money and kitty.

2 things (unless I think of some more while I'm writing);

What will Weir think about the ambitions of SUFC if McCabe gives in to selling one of our best players at such an inopportune time. Won't Weir be in the probationary (therefore easy in/easy out) period of his employ or doesn't it work like that?

I think it is highly likely that players and club officials read forums like this. In their position you would wouldn't you? I mean of course you would...

Weir has clearly stated that he was fully aware of the situation at SUFC and what he was walking into.

More chance of Alan Carr marrying Sean Bean than us finishing above Wolves. It should be our ambition, but we're being run on a budget similar to Chesterfield's. Wolves are looking to sign 5 or 6 players before the deadline. We've barely signed 5 or 6 players in the last 3 years. And their team is already all shades of shit better than ours.

More chance of Alan Carr marrying Sean Bean than us finishing above Wolves. It should be our ambition, but we're being run on a budget similar to Chesterfield's. Wolves are looking to sign 5 or 6 players before the deadline. We are looking to sell 5 or 6 players before the deadline. And their team is already all shades of shit better than ours.

corrected that for you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom