Playoff tickets, First Leg

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Last play off final v Huddersfield we took 28K
Pretty sure it was a bit more than this. Annoyingly the United website has changed since, so unable to search this far back. But there’s a post on here from about a week before the final saying we were about to pass the 30k mark.

I see Sunderland have took the hassle out of selling their play off final tickets. All tickets are being sold online, no ticket sales at their ticket office or over the phone. Booking fee plus delivery fee per ticket.(£3.75 per ticket in total). They are being sold in phases

If we get though, would fans prefer tickets to be sold in this manner ?

I have used my burner accounts to buy tickets for friends and colleagues that couldn't get them over the last few years. There is zero doubt in my mind that the club is turning away new fans through deliberate policy. On one occasion a Chinese gent posted on here asking for help getting tickets for himself and a few friends when we were in the Championship under Wilder. He explained that the club wouldn't sell them the tickets. He'd been to the ground and asked. I met him at the ground early doors and sorted it for him. Over £120 worth of tickets. The club didn't want either his or his Chinese friends money. Ludicrous

Some things that the club should do from previous experience:

1)Make an account for all new purchasers. Sometimes people come to a game that is open to anyone, even without an account, and they don't get an account as a result - just the ticket for that game. Then they try to buy a ticket for a future game requiring x points or a pre existing purchase history and are refused - much to their bemusement. If you must have these restrictions, then please ensure that people that buy a ticket for any game leave the ticket office with an account.

3) Relax all buying restrictions for these groups: under 13s, local residents (except derbies), old age pensioners, women. These demographics are unlikely to cause trouble, so why have these restrictions in place for these people?

3)An idiots guide to buying tickets and all online problems. Make it extremely user friendly. Lot's of FAQs and guides to what error codes mean. Make it very prominent on the website with easy to follow videos. It has to be suitable for, say, a pensioner that barely knows how to switch a computer on. Offer to set them up for people if they need help.

I see Sunderland have took the hassle out of selling their play off final tickets. All tickets are being sold online, no ticket sales at their ticket office or over the phone. Booking fee plus delivery fee per ticket.(£3.75 per ticket in total). They are being sold in phases

Yep, I would just for all the bantz on here

I don’t understand why they mess this up so badly every time. Even with only a week to sell tickets, the simple solution is:

Day 1 (which might actually be up to and including the first weekday)
All tickets (minus a few crap blocks that they can release later dependent on demand) open to season ticket holders and members. ST holders’ seats are held until that customer buys a ticket (if they buy a ticket elsewhere their ST seat is obviously released for sale) or they log on to release it

Day 2:
General-ish sale. All supporters with previous purchase history can buy. Unsold ST seats still held as above - potentially lets people sit together

(Unsold ST seats are released for sale either midday day 2 or sometime on day 3)

Day 3 :
Even more general sale. Members and ST holders can buy x additional tickets. Halfway house between true general sale and member accountability to prevent away fans buying.

When the unsold ST seats get released is up for debate, but this would have solved loads of moans and problems. It’d also ideally need the system to show a difference between a sold seat and a reserved seat, but that’s more a nice to have.

Anyway, if anyone who makes ticketing decisions is reading, I came up with this while on the bog, so it wasn’t hard (the idea). I could have also phoned Forest while there (making sure to have the mute button ready), and asked how many away tickets they were planning on giving us.

Yes. I remember queuing for hours and hours on the phone for previous Wembley sales. Online you get an estimated time and countdown to when you're good to go. Much better.

It matters because like you he's having a pop at the club with fuck all to back it up. "Just fucking do one arsehole", is that the best you've got? Your family must be mightily proud.
What's my family got to do with owt?
As for having a pop at the club with nowt to back it up why is there 31 pages on this thread of happy smiling faces?

We were never going to sell out, however it's a bigger turnout than our previous games in the playoffs and I'm glad we have the lower tier too. Hopefully it can be rocking for once tomorrow.

Quite simple why they hold back two blocks of seats on the BLLT it is to direct people to buy up the restricted view seats on the kop and John st corner, when take up dries up then they unlock the two blocks of unrestricted view seat on BLLT. Call me cynical but it does fit the narrative.
Theres nothing to stop you swapping your restricted view ticket to another ticket if one becomes available.

What's my family got to do with owt?
As for having a pop at the club with nowt to back it up why is there 31 pages on this thread of happy smiling faces?
Take a few deep breaths and read his first post again, in your case very slowly. He accuses SUFC of being the worst club in the league for fucking up ticket sales. Unless he or you have attempted to buy tickets, online or otherwise from all 91 other clubs it becomes a spurious claim. In simple terms, for your benefit, I'm calling bullshit.

Something has clearly gone wrong if we can't get the crowd to this match that went to the match a week before to specifically see us get to this match. Credit for the pricing but regardless of how good or not we are compared to other clubs hopefully we can learn some lessons. It benefits all Blades if we can grow the support

You literally put your phone into the season ticket slot on the turnstile with the QR code showing. How is your idea any different to the actual process?

I've screenshotted the QR code to save me going through my emails at the turnstile. In principle it sounds easy.

I'm not convinced that everyone will be as prepared as you to be honest.

With a contactless ticket you can just tap your phone on the turnstile reader and it'll let you in as long as your phone screen is on, regardless of whatever's on your screen. You also don't have to mess with screen brightness, zooming in to make it the right size, and it will work with a smashed screen, too.

I can guarantee you that nobody who wanted a ticket for a Premier League game would have been unable to get one with the slightest effort.
Absolute rubbish.

So if say, John from Wisconsin visits the UK on vacation, he's never been to Sheffield before, but we're one of the home fixtures this weekend in the Premier league and he sees the game isn't sold out. Perhaps he thinks he'll get a taste of soccer and have a rootin' tootin' time.

Nope. Sorry John. Everton have sold out the away end and as as you're not on our system and don't have 500 loyalty points, we'll be turning you away.

Just one example of lost revenue for us. Not only that, maybe its not a tourist, but just a casual potential fan or family looking for something to get involved in. We'd make it an absolute nightmare for them. Its a joke of a policy.

Sounds like the club are anticipating there being a clusterfuck with the tickets tomorrow
My thoughts exactly.

Can just imagine old Dora trying to ram her phone in the ticket sensor thingy while a fat steward squeezes through to assist her by telling her she needs to have the QR code on the screen then having to scroll through countless photos of Timmy the Yorkshire Terrier with a Blades rosette on his fucking yappy head.

This game would sell out extremely quickly if the club didn't make it so difficult for casual fans and new fans to buy tickets. I think people on this forum often find this difficult to comprehend because they themselves are very committed.

Our average home attendance was the highest in the Championship this year (26,005 when you subtract away fans, as per EFL stats on Twitter). Usually, for a big game, a club would add on quite a few thousand to their average figure with casual fans who don't attend every week, or new fans coming along for the first time. The reason we struggle to add to our average attendance, even for a massive game, is because SUFC makes it so difficult for these groups to buy tickets, to the point that they just don't attend in large numbers.

I think there are two main ways in which SUFC is deterring new and casual fans:

1) Purchase history:
For the Forest game, as for any game where the away end is likely to sell out, a purchase history is required in order to buy a ticket. This means that new fans, for example students, kids, or just anyone who hasn't been before, are literally banned from attending. The club says this is to stop away fans getting in the home end. In my opinion, this policy is an overreaction and prevents SUFC growing its fanbase. Big games are when new fans get excited about following the Blades. We are wasting that opportunity, as well as reducing our chances of selling out the stadium.

2) Website and ticketing system:
If you're used to it, it works OK. If you're not, it doesn't. The one ticket per supporter rule and the fact that every ticket has to be allocated to a registered supporter makes buying tickets for a group a confusing faff. I've previously taken extended family from Kent to a game, which meant I had to make an account for each of them on the website and add them all as friends and family before I could buy the tickets. I know some of you will think that this isn't too much effort, or that we don't need casual fans at the games anyway, but the fact is that it's complicated and time consuming and puts people off attending. I've been to games at stadiums around the country and it's nowhere near as difficult anywhere else, and this contributes to why other clubs sell out their stadiums more easily for big games.

In my opinion the club is hindering itself with these policies: reducing our financial income, inhibiting the growth of the fanbase and of course reducing the support available to the players on matchdays. Plus it's obviously a bad look for the club when there are lots of empty seats visible at a big game.

The club says Forest tickets are now on 'general sale', but this isn't true. They're on general sale if you've got a purchase history and are able/ willing to clear administrative hurdles on a clunky website. I'm an ex-season ticket holder now living outside Sheffield, so I only attend occasionally these days. Whenever I do, especially if I'm buying tickets for a group or taking someone new, I'm amazed at how difficult the club makes it!
Spot on pal.

Last time we went we took close on 40 k (hull game )

Yes, and Gillingham took 50,000 for a play off final once because the club got it's finger out and sold the tickets
Millwall took almost 55,000 to a play off final because the club got it's finger out and sold the tickets

We got our allocation and then pissed about so much with a loyalty points system that the match was upon us before there was even a sniff at at an increased allocation.
An ideal opportunity considering we were playing Hull who didn't sell out.

But no, we made tens of thousands of people wait, not make arrangements, not book hotels, not get time off work, not book travel whilst the "VERY FEW" with loyalty points considering the number of tickets potentially available fucked about waiting for their mates who are in the next band of loyalty points, and then the reciprocal arrangement flows all the way down the different loyalty points bands until it leaves the General Sales tickets to our most casual fans who have not been able to make plans.

If any group of people are going to say "To hell with it, it's too late now" it's the most casual fan

Tickets for Wembley should be an absolute free for all if we are playing a smaller club who are unlikely to sell out, get them sold immediately and use the situation to see how much interest there really is

I am pretty sure that is the final when ST holders could buy an extra ticket for family members who weren't registered on our system
Yes, and Gillingham took 50,000 for a play off final once because the club got it's finger out and sold the tickets
Millwall took almost 55,000 to a play off final because the club got it's finger out and sold the tickets

We got our allocation and then pissed about so much with a loyalty points system that the match was upon us before there was even a sniff at at an increased allocation.
An ideal opportunity considering we were playing Hull who didn't sell out.

But no, we made tens of thousands of people wait, not make arrangements, not book hotels, not get time off work, not book travel whilst the "VERY FEW" with loyalty points considering the number of tickets potentially available fucked about waiting for their mates who are in the next band of loyalty points, and then the reciprocal arrangement flows all the way down the different loyalty points bands until it leaves the General Sales tickets to our most casual fans who have not been able to make plans.

If any group of people are going to say "To hell with it, it's too late now" it's the most casual fan

Tickets for Wembley should be an absolute free for all if we are playing a smaller club who are unlikely to sell out, get them sold immediately and use the situation to see how much interest there really is
Great post, when we played Huddersfield they could buy 8 tickets each !!

But G and H Block were not empty, as can be seen on the screen grab. I can also remember it like yesterday because I was sat smack in the middle of G Block feeling violently ill. Before kick-off I was in the medical portakabin between the South Stand and Bramall Lane with the worst stomach cramps I have ever had. As the teams came onto the pitch I was walking slowly back to my seat via the cindertrack and the stewards letting me back in.

I then proceeded to watch the game whilst gradually turning green, so much so that my friends thought I was in danger of dying! Indeed, amongst others I seem to remember ZoneManWilf was with us in our regular spot. FBFD was the one who thought I was about to expire. The best match I've ever seen, and the illest I have ever felt at any match. One strange combination.
In their wisdom they opened g n h block at the very last minute. Not sure we have made much progress. How many seats will be lost to segregation on Saturday my guess 2500.

It is a bit tinpot that we still haven’t sold out. We sold more home tickets for the Fulham game.

Back
Top Bottom