Paynter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
What a waste of a loan space. Seems obvious that NC prefers porter so if he's no better than what we've got surely it's best to send him back and see if we can get a young pacey striker in instead?

In hindsight....at the time Porter was playing poorly..we definitely needed 'that type of player' and Porter pulled his socks up with Paynter's arrival.

The lad still might chip in with a vital goal but I doubt we'll be giving him the new contract he's seeking.

UTB!

I have no idea why he's not allowed to play in the FA Cup, I'm sure he isn't cup tied is he? Not that he's worth a Wembley place and in fact, his non-availability may have inadvertently contributed to our current style of play. If he'd been available, we may not have adopted the no striker formation.

I think its very harsh to say its a complete waste of a loan spot.

If we sent Paynter back and Porter got injured, think of the uproar from some fans, berating the club for sending an ideal replacement for Porter back.

The only thing our squad lacks is one extra striker with pace. And I wouldn't mind seeing Murphy there to see how he'd compliment Baxter.

I think Cloughey is looking for someone like that Patrick Bamford (Chelsea) that is on loan at Derby now and was at MKD.
Somebody with an ability to hold it up and do something special when there is fuck all else on. Somebody with guile as well as pace - to bring another edge to our play - not just the raw attribute itself.

If he can't find anyone of that calibre I think he is sticking with what he has - doesn't need any more of the same - needs an improvement. The loan window shuts soon (not sure exactly when) so we may see something move towards the end of this month. Ideally he needs someone who isn't cup tied - you would have thought that a potential Wembley SF appearance might be a bit of leverage for somebody, wouldn't you?

I trust him to make the right call, anyway.

Paynter was just latest in a decent sized list of loan strikers we have signed over the years, they all fit the same specs.

Used to be decent a couple of years ago but are now unfit and destined for League Two.

I don't think Clough rates him and don't think he will be signing anyone else until the summer.

I did laugh at the abundance of striking riches available to Preston compared to us on Monday though.

I think Paynter has been unlucky personally. He came in when Porter was first choice so we needed cover, then Clough changed things and went with Baxter up top.

What a waste of a loan space. Seems obvious that NC prefers porter so if he's no better than what we've got surely it's best to send him back and see if we can get a young pacey striker in instead?

Yes, surprising really, I can't for the life of me think why any of this wouldn't have crossed Nigel's mind already?

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. As with most things, context is what matters, and at the time I imagine that NC looked, and rather than buy for the sake of it, took Billy as a short-term answer. I can't imagine that anyone ever thought Paynter would offer us the solutions that we need, but he was brought in as cover and the guy serves that purpose until told otherwise.

I've lost count of the number of posts that have appeared asking/demanding that we sign a specific type of player. Does anyone really think that NC won't be aware of who might be available? If a deal is there to be done then I've no doubt Nigel will do his best to persuade a player to sign for United, just as he did with Scougall. Until we know the exact nature of what's involved in a deal then it's a bit like whistling in the dark to think that clicking our fingers will magic up a player that's right for United. Cloughie knows what he's doing, isn't that evident by now?

Didn't think he was to bad against Peterborough to be fair, looked more mobile than porter! (even though he came on and scored) but he doesn't seem to have a goal in him, Missed a sitter in the first half.

He scored a few in this league last season. If Porter gets injured, he'll get games. It's rarely a bad thing to have competition for places.

I'm not convinced were he available now that Clough would necessarily have chosen to bring him in - he was simply an attractive option at that period of time based on who was available. Compare the more recent signings of Freeman, Brayford, Davies, Harris and Scougall with Paynter, White and Lappin.

The best place to look for a striker who isn't cup tide is in the Scottish leagues I would have thought ...

Didn't think he was to bad against Peterborough to be fair, looked more mobile than porter! (even though he came on and scored) but he doesn't seem to have a goal in him, Missed a sitter in the first half.
He also played well at Gillingham

Paynter was just latest in a decent sized list of loan strikers we have signed over the years, they all fit the same specs.

Used to be decent a couple of years ago but are now unfit and destined for League Two.

I don't think Clough rates him and don't think he will be signing anyone else until the summer.

I did laugh at the abundance of striking riches available to Preston compared to us on Monday though.

I had a laugh at them as well....apart from Garner who actually scores now and then.

He has done an excellent job. His presence alone has stopped Jose Baxter feeling conscious of being the only fat scouser in the squad!

Seriously though; Paynter is taking exaggerated flak imo. He hasn't done anything awful in his performances, in fact I was very encouraged by his perfomance against Bradford at home.

I think its very harsh to say its a complete waste of a loan spot.

If we sent Paynter back and Porter got injured, think of the uproar from some fans, berating the club for sending an ideal replacement for Porter back.

The only thing our squad lacks is one extra striker with pace. And I wouldn't mind seeing Murphy there to see how he'd compliment Baxter.

I don't think we need to send anybody back. The rules prevent us from picking too many loan players in the match day squad but they don't stop us having extra cover as long as we don't pick them all at the same time.

So when Brayford is fit we won't necessarily need Freeman on the bench. We could keep Paynter as cover for Porter and still sign a different type of striker to boost the squad for the run in.

Back
Top Bottom