Paul Heckingbottom

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
He came in at a very tricky time after a much-loved manager had done one. Loads of negative reactions from fans but has handled himself very well and come across as a thoughtful and intelligent football man (which is hated by some as he doesn't run up and down, bang his badge or throw his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get his way.).

He's taken a squad full of injuries and on its knees and put some pride and passion back. He's changed the formation to suit the players available to him and got some success out of it. He's brought through a young lad who would never had gotten a chance under the previous regime.

I'd like to thank him for steering the club to the end of the season and all his work with the U-23s. I hope he's knocking around the place for a long time to come.

So thanks Heck, have a drink and put your feet up. Looking forward to see how he kicks the U-23s on next season.

He came in at a very tricky time after a much-loved manager had done one. Loads of negative reactions from fans but has handled himself very well and come across as a thoughtful and intelligent football man (which is hated by some as he doesn't run up and down, bang his badge or throw his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get his way.).

He's taken a squad full of injuries and on its knees and put some pride and passion back. He's changed the formation to suit the players available to him and got some success out of it. He's brought through a young lad who would never had gotten a chance under the previous regime.

I'd like to thank him for steering the club to the end of the season and all his work with the U-23s. I hope he's knocking around the place for a long time to come.

So thanks Heck, have a drink and put your feet up. Looking forward to see how he kicks the U-23s on next season.
Here here, done better than I expected and players seem to respect him. So pat on the back well deserved for Hecky.

However, 100% still convinced not right option going forward, no disrespect to the man

They and not we? Looks like he's off.

They and not we? Looks like he's off.
very sad indeed, however, i feel he more than deserves his chance in the spotlight and maybe he’s seen his chance?

i’d be sad but if a L1 or lower champ club came calling for him as no.1, would want him to take it, deserves it

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into the use of 'they'; probably just recognises a new man coming in so therefore can't assume he will continue in U23 role. That all said, a hearty thank you to him for his efforts in what was, let's be honest, one of the most tumultuous periods in our recent history. He did exactly what you'd want from a caretaker, steadied things, lightened the atmosphere a bit and just gave the players a little confidence and belief back, which is so important now going into next season. He has also, importantly, shown a routeway into the first team for some of our younger players. Overall, job well done 👏

very sad indeed, however, i feel he more than deserves his chance in the spotlight and maybe he’s seen his chance?

i’d be sad but if a L1 or lower champ club came calling for him as no.1, would want him to take it, deserves it

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Wednesday as an assistant.

I didn't want him full-time but I'll give him a lot of credit for getting a few decent performances out of a team on its knees and for blooding some promising youngsters. He's done his reputation a lot of good and I'm happy he's leading our youth. I don't know if his position is in doubt given he was brought in under Wilder and Jokanovic might want his own people but I'd be more than happy for him to stick around.

They never go the other way.

Apart from Bruce.

He played for Wednesday

He's a local lad and he seems to genuinely love football and being involved with it. I can see him joining Moore. I believe they know each other.

He played for Wednesday

He's a local lad and he seems to genuinely love football and being involved with it. I can see him joining Moore. I believe they know each other.

I can't see it myself.

I think when he says they he might mean the first team.

I think this too.

It's a different branch of Sheffield United, I think if you were talking to Neil Redfearn about how the 1st team were doing he'd say "they didn't do very well" not "we didn't do very well".

I think because of what he's done with the under 23, and in the Premiership he could well be considering a move back into management if the right opportunity comes along,
Who in his position wouldn't be ?

My favourite section of that interview:

Management wasn’t always so attractive a prospect, though. Despite initially having one eye, as a player, on a future move into coaching, Heckingbottom fell out of love with the idea.

“I’d done my first couple of badges but got fed up and started doing plumbing instead,” he admits with a smile. “I was at Bradford at the time. (Bradford coaching staff) David Wetherall, Wayne Jacobs and Stuart McCall sat me down and asked what I was doing.

“I explained there were too many dickheads in football and that I didn’t want to do coaching anymore. I said, ‘I’d rather have a fight than a beer with too many in the game, and that means coaching isn’t for me’. I didn’t necessarily mean players, more the people you work for.

Back
Top Bottom