Our Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We got to the top flight because of him, We'll be back there because of him, my faith in him hasn't wavered in the slightest.
I don't listen to those who have turned on him at the drop of a fart, it renders every other opinion they have about the club worthless as far as I'm concerned.
Neither has my faith in him wavered but within that ability he has there is an area for improvement as there is with us all. Good communication helps breed success.

Doesn't take a detective to see hes gutted. Fucking hell, that west ham result will have been as much of a gut punch to him as it was to us. Probably more, as hes likely still not accepted we are down ( I wouldnt want a manager to do).

Should he have swaggered out looking upbeat and saying how these players are definitely looking like pulling us out of it? We'd have just been saying hes in denial.

He has quite rightly called some fans PlayStation managers. Don’t forget even when we lost games in the middle of our success you had fans saying this boils happen that should happen.
Maybe it is just as simple as players underperforming lack of intensity due to crowds injuries etc.
He has never said people questioning the shape are talking nonsense more like the shape is irrelevant when you have our players underperforming and making stupid mistakes. Was the 3 goals we conceded yesterday anything to do with shape? You will counter this by saying how we played offensively, well listen to his interview after the game and how he is incredibly frustrated at how pedestrian we look at times. Lack of form lack of confidence does this to players who have to be at the top of their game due to them not being premier league class players.

He has quite rightly called some fans PlayStation managers. Don’t forget even when we lost games in the middle of our success you had fans saying this boils happen that should happen.
Maybe it is just as simple as players underperforming lack of intensity due to crowds injuries etc.
He has never said people questioning the shape are talking nonsense more like the shape is irrelevant when you have our players underperforming and making stupid mistakes. Was the 3 goals we conceded yesterday anything to do with shape? You will counter this by saying how we played offensively, well listen to his interview after the game and how he is incredibly frustrated at how pedestrian we look at times. Lack of form lack of confidence does this to players who have to be at the top of their game due to them not being premier league class players.

He was far too graceful calling them PlayStation managers. Most of them are barely Sega Mega Drive.

Some context is required here. He's just watched his side get dicked 3-0 in London on a Monday night, one of his key players has been rushed to hospital, another one has gone off with a suspected snapped ankle, we're rooted to the bottom of the table, and that probably wasn't even his first post-match interview. He probably had to explain why we were shit to several other media outlets using different descriptions of what happened each time.

He's not a car salesman or a politician, he can't always be perfectly poised and ready with a perfect pitch. He's out there feeling exactly what we're feeling in real time.
I fully agree it was a hard place and that's why a manager's job is often difficult and he deserves all the help he can get to alleviate that.

I bet you were lapping it up when he did at Hull or numerous other times

Hull was before we were promoted to the Premier League.

The Leicester game was at the end of one of greatest season's in the clubs history, which Wilder will always have great deserved credit for.

Context is important.

Has any other manager said something like that to their fans (apart from Brian Clough)? Did he really need to say it? I don't mind him thinking it, even though I disagree.

How would people react if Nige Adkins had said the same about people questioning Dean Hammond?

See below:

And your point is? Oh we are going down is that your point? So what we have gone down before and likely to go down again. Chris wilder is one of the best things to happened to this club and we wouldn’t be anywhere near the premier league without him.
Yes he’s made mistakes but anyone who thinks someone walks into this club and gets anywhere near the success he’s had or likely to have are mental. My support for him is as strong now as it was when he did the impossible. Can’t wait to get back in the ground and shoot him we are all behind him.
My point is that we're a shit embarrassment and somehow it's nothing to do with the manager. Was last season's success anything to do with the manager or just luck? He's having it all one way.

If the players are not doing as you say then you fucking do your job and manage it.

I think the biggest thing is the manner of it all. Not the fact we have been fighting relegation but the sudden collapse which was unexpected. By not being able to be there in person has intensified it too.

I do think the recruitment has hurt us most. Hindsight of course but surely we needed some proven/experienced players to solidify a second year than the young prospects we paid millions for. The outlay has sadly not seen a return on investment.

The worrying thing with covid is there's no guarantees next season will start with anything like even half a ground capacity so could still affect us mentally.

Still want him as manager. UTB.

I fully agree it was a hard place and that's why a manager's job is often difficult and he deserves all the help he can get to alleviate that.

What percentage of being a good manager is dealing well with the press? In your opinion.

I only say because ive seen world class, legendary managers be far worse after a game in how they come across.

Wilders had a bad day. After a series of bad days. Made worse by the fact we had actually looked to be turning a corner. Thats it imo.

My point is that we're a shit embarrassment and somehow it's nothing to do with the manager. Was last season's success anything to do with the manager or just luck? He's having it all one way.

If the players are not doing as you say then you fucking do your job and manage it.
What on earth are you talking about did you read the opening message or listen to the interview or are you just making things up? He quite clearly blames himself as well as he said in the interview. Once again stop making things up to try and suit your argument.

Hull was before we were promoted to the Premier League.

The Leicester game was at the end of one of greatest season's in the clubs history, which Wilder will always have great deserved credit for.

Context is important.

What so now we want him to accept poor performances, just because we've done well previously?
Wilder has always challenged players publicly. But he also done a huge amount for most of their careers.

I don't think Wilder can avoid criticism, the transfer business speaks for itself, but what I won't question is his man management. In his time with us he's turned league one player's into premier league ones, a conference player into one of league one's best defenders, who looked alright at championship level even. You don't achieve those things by being a bad man Manager. Look at the Henderson situation after the liverpool game last season, Wilder got so much criticism about that reaction, look what followed.

This season hasn't been good enough. Money has been wasted and our squad desperately lacks creativity and flexibility. But this season has been the strangest we've ever seen, and if you think it affects all clubs equally, I very much disagree. A team where there's a huge togetherness is always going to feel a greater impact. Look at Liverpool and their drop off, compared to West Ham, who couldn't buy a win at home with fans in.

He is our manager and it's important to be able to clearly and competently articulate those issues he is able to with confidence. Body language is an important part of confident management which can set the example for others who are expected to perform well in their own roles.

So how he comes across in interviews in the media is of paramount importance ?
More important than what his team does on the pitch ? obviously we are not doing great atm
Are you trying to say how he comes across in interviews straight after the final whistle makes him a bad manager
Surely its how he articulates himself to the players that really counts

Would you be confident if you had seen Norwood pass the ball straight to their player giving West Ham the chance to score and one of your central defenders not mark a player from a corner giving him the easiest of free headers. Im sure hes told them not to do those things he then has to face the media and come across all confident

Its corporate management bollocks lets talk about ball parks and say basically a lot
Letss get Adkins back we can talk about geese

Last edited:

For all those who say he doesn’t take responsibility and blames everyone else watch this. He knows there has been mistakes it’s been a truly awful season but can anyone honestly say they want someone else in the dig out on the opening game of next season?
Hold your nerve blades fans we will be back and back quickly if this man is in charge. Keep the faith UTB

I’m in two minds about this.. if we get back up quickly then we may well find ourselves in the same position of having to fight above our weight again, and that is not sustainable. If we take the long view of having Wilder build a dynasty (Fergie style) then patience and incremental steps is the sensible way forward.

Problem being, and I now contradict myself, I don’t think there are the resources outside of the PL to allow sufficient construction. We won’t build a team capable of an extended stay in the top division with the resources we have. Unless we strike hard in the next couple of seasons.

Wilder has proven, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that he can build a team for promotion. He has proven he can build a team that competes in the Premier League. He hasn’t proven yet he can build a team that is sustainable. He deserves the opportunity to do so.

But I guess it’s what we want, a few years of yo-yo excitement or a long term strategy to have the Blades where they belong as a top table team.

Has any other manager said something like that to their fans (apart from Brian Clough)? Did he really need to say it? I don't mind him thinking it, even though I disagree.

How would people react if Nige Adkins had said the same about people questioning Dean Hammond?

See below:

I’m not sure what the problem is calling out the fans at times. He hasn’t done it often and 99% of the time has done nothing but praise the fans.
As for comparing him calling out the fans to if Adkins did it’s not compatible. Adkins didn’t do what Chris Wilder has done for this club so if he wants to call out the fans now again fair play. He’s bang on.

Oh I'd say few dozen, judging by how they prattle on.

Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.

- Brian Clough
Aye, tinternet's full of experts. Shame so many are full o wind n piss,puffin their chests out from the relative obscurity of a keyboard,throwing shameful and ill considered accusations in all directions,where a mirror would suffice.
Such is life 😉

What so now we want him to accept poor performances, just because we've done well previously?
Wilder has always challenged players publicly. But he also done a huge amount for most of their careers.

I don't think Wilder can avoid criticism, the transfer business speaks for itself, but what I won't question is his man management. In his time with us he's turned league one player's into premier league ones, a conference player into one of league one's best defenders, who looked alright at championship level even. You don't achieve those things by being a bad man Manager. Look at the Henderson situation after the liverpool game last season, Wilder got so much criticism about that reaction, look what followed.

This season hasn't been good enough. Money has been wasted and our squad desperately lacks creativity and flexibility. But this season has been the strangest we've ever seen, and if you think it affects all clubs equally, I very much disagree. A team where there's a huge togetherness is always going to feel a greater impact. Look at Liverpool and their drop off, compared to West Ham, who couldn't buy a win at home with fans in.

Who said that we want him to accept poor performances?

It was inappropriate to lay into the team publicly like he did in that manner in the context of the season we have just had, against a really good Leicester team that tactically outdid us again.

Yes he has done wonders in previous seasons, but not this one. I do question his man management in keeping Lundstram in the fold after what happened to Duffy.

Looks completely fed-up and I don’t blame him. We’ve all been there. Trouble is we have 14 more games to endure ☹️
I guess what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I'm sure he'll bounce back and be stronger for it.

The remaining games are going to be eventful,but we've seen worse for prolonged periods. Que sera sera. 😉

I’m not sure what the problem is calling out the fans at times. He hasn’t done it often and 99% of the time has done nothing but praise the fans.
As for comparing him calling out the fans to if Adkins did it’s not compatible. Adkins didn’t do what Chris Wilder has done for this club so if he wants to call out the fans now again fair play. He’s bang on.

Why does he need to, and what have they done to deserve it? (this is separate with regards the ongoing police investigation)

Why is it such a bad thing for fans to question our shape and system and suggest alternatives on a forum and to say that certain players have not performed well this season?

How many other managers call out the fans like Wilder does?

Chris, if you are reading this forum or have people feeding bits and bobs to you, then stop!

You are perfectly correctly.......................... the 3 or 4k fans behind the goal would get behind the Blades come what may. Of course we still have the slasher element travel with us, but generally speaking, the vast majority of those fans would be supporting you all the way - you are one of our own! And your players - by and large - play in your own image.

Most of the people that slag and slate on here are armchair supporters, pigs on the wind up or people that just like to moan. As you have said, yep you've made mistakes, things could have gone better, major players have gone missing and we've shot ourselves in the foot on far too many occasions.

However, as disappointed as we are, we will stick together (the majority of the 3 or 4k behind the goal I mean) and be with you through thick and thin. If there becomes a time when a change is required for the better of the football club then, as one of us, I'm sure you will facilitate whatever needs to be done. Now is not that time. We are down, ok. But we are going to be behind you all the way next season to give it a bloody good shot at getting back up.

We are Blades and you are one of our own ⚔️⚔️⚔️

Doesn't take a detective to see hes gutted. Fucking hell, that west ham result will have been as much of a gut punch to him as it was to us. Probably more, as hes likely still not accepted we are down ( I wouldnt want a manager to do).

Should he have swaggered out looking upbeat and saying how these players are definitely looking like pulling us out of it? We'd have just been saying hes in denial.
He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't by some. It's a thankless task that takes enormous courage when you are so exposed to criticism from all quarters.

Very few of us have ever experienced such scrutiny and no amount of cash could compensate.

I hope he gets better support and advice after they have dusted themselves down,ready to go again next season.😇

Chris, if you are reading this forum or have people feeding bits and bobs to you, then stop!

You are perfectly correctly.......................... the 3 or 4k fans behind the goal would get behind the Blades come what may. Of course we still have the slasher element travel with us, but generally speaking, the vast majority of those fans would be supporting you all the way - you are one of our own! And your players - by and large - play in your own image.

Most of the people that slag and slate on here are armchair supporters, pigs on the wind up or people that just like to moan. As you have said, yep you've made mistakes, things could have gone better, major players have gone missing and we've shot ourselves in the foot on far too many occasions.

However, as disappointed as we are, we will stick together (the majority of the 3 or 4k behind the goal I mean) and be with you through thick and thin. If there becomes a time when a change is required for the better of the football club then, as one of us, I'm sure you will facilitate whatever needs to be done. Now is not that time. We are down, ok. But we are going to be behind you all the way next season to give it a bloody good shot at getting back up.

We are Blades and you are one of our own ⚔️⚔️⚔️

What annoys me is how Wilder, and others, conflate critical discussion on a forum with abuse.

I have my say on here and in the pub, but I never boo the team. We have some idiots in our fanbase, Ramsdale is lucky there has been no fans this season as he would have got the disgusting George Long treatment otherwise.

I am still behind the team, I still support the team and the club. I just think that maybe we should have dropped Ramsdale earlier in the season and should try playing 4-4-2.

We're a football club learning how to compete in a less than level playing field, not a "Shit embarrassment"

What's embarrassing is purported supporters unable to control their emotions and using a forum to spit their dummy out without evidencing how they would deal with managing a large organisation that has been mismanaged for decades.

Have some humility and perspective mate.

I imagine if you were in a similar position you would want support,not lambasting😉

I know who I would want next to me in the trenches.😨UTB

Back
Top Bottom