Our late Penalty appeal.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ceasefire

Reaction score
Can’t believe this was dismissed by the pundits and media so lightly. It was a blatant penalty and a red card , Bogle was pole axed. - How did VAR not act on that. Even Danny Murphy said It was a penalty but doesn’t Matter as Fulham needed the 3 points more ! and were the better team. - Unbelievable bias.

Remember when Pickford “crashed” into Van Dijk , there was almost a government enquiry into the incident and fans wanted Pickford jailed - we never heard the end of it From the media for weeks.

Never mind it’s only poor old Sheffield United, they don’t matter.

Can’t believe this was dismissed by the pundits and media so lightly. It was a blatant penalty and a red card , Bogle was pole axed. - How did VAR not act on that. Even Danny Murphy said It was a penalty but doesn’t Matter as Fulham needed the 3 points more ! and were the better team. - Unbelievable bias.

Remember when Pickford “crashed” into Van Dijk , there was almost a government enquiry into the incident and fans wanted Pickford jailed - we never heard the end of it From the media for weeks.

Was it really dismissed so lightly? They all said that it was a penalty. Did you see Souness on Sky? He ranted for a full five minutes about the disgraceful referees. Murphy was just pointing out (quite rightly) that it would have been an unfair result if we'd equalised. That's not bias - it's just the truth.

I'm not sure what else you expect them to do.

There was a very similar incident when Everton were awarded a penalty against Liverpool, the difference being that in the Everton game the referee had given the penalty, was asked by VAR to review his decision, had a cursory look at the screen and stood by his decision. The pundits justified the decision because the Everton player was caught by the Liverpool keeper's leg but in my eyes he was already falling over before the leg came into play.

It was clear in our game that both players were going for the ball but the keeper definitely committed a foul and in open play a similar foul would have almost certainly have been given as a free kick.

There is absolutely no consistency when it comes to free kicks and penalties for the same foul, and no consistency in VAR decisions following near identical incidents in different matches ( consecutive matches as it happened yesterday).

Souness literally flew off the handle about it....but nah all the pundits hate us and call us Sheffield.

It was the two live commentators who dismissed it
Absolute know nowts

interesting that Souness said he is aware of a lot of ex pros who would willingly referee matches
Fast track them through the relevant qualifications and bin off the existing incompetents were similar to the words he used

With that set up, we were out for 0-0. We get rolled over and fully deserved to be, we were dire. Just hope United stop the rot before L1 beckons.

It should have been given, but other than helping Newcastle and Brighton, what difference would it have made?

Maybe against 10 men, at 1-1 we do go on an nick it, but it would have been daylight robbery if we had. We were crap last night, utter utter crap. As bad as anything I have seen this season.

It’s difficult to feel that passionately about the injustice because we were shit and deserved nothing from the game anyway. A point would also not make the slightest difference to our season.
But we would be on 12 points.
At least we’d have left Derby’s record behind.
It would have also masked how awful and out of our depth we are.

I listened to the Talksport 2 commentary.

Initially both commentators watched the video play-back and agreed “definite penalty”
One even said “there’s no way the ref can’t give this”

Then they must have watched another video play-back from a different angle.
One of the commentators said “hold on....from this angle it looks like the keeper got the ball first”

They then said “maybe it isn’t a penalty” and they laughed about how different camera angles can help change a decision.

Absolute know nowts

interesting that Souness said he is aware of a lot of ex pros who would willingly referee matches
Fast track them through the relevant qualifications and bin off the existing incompetents were similar to the words he used
And okuku is an ex pig I think

Absolute know nowts

I don’t but this “players have played the game so they understand more than refs”.

Players usually make terrible managers, not sure why refereeing would be any different. It’s a totally different skill set.

Take cricket for example. You essentially get to umpire yourself by using DRS and how often do they get it right - half the time?

Murphy was just pointing out (quite rightly) that it would have been an unfair result if we'd equalised. That's not bias - it's just the truth.
It's not the truth. Results are based purely on how many goals are scored for each team. You don't get points for artistic merit, it's not fucking ice skating.

I listened to the Talksport 2 commentary.

Initially both commentators watched the video play-back and agreed “definite penalty”
One even said “there’s no way the ref can’t give this”

Then they must have watched another video play-back from a different angle.
One of the commentators said “hold on....from this angle it looks like the keeper got the ball first”

They then said “maybe it isn’t a penalty” and they laughed about how different camera angles can help change a decision.
Why didn’t he hack Bogle down with a knows high kick on one of the angles ?

It should have been given, but other than helping Newcastle and Brighton, what difference would it have made?

Maybe against 10 men, at 1-1 we do go on an nick it, but it would have been daylight robbery if we had. We were crap last night, utter utter crap. As bad as anything I have seen this season.
You say that but I would say we had as many clear chances than they did

It's not the truth. Results are based purely on how many goals are scored for each team. You don't get points for artistic merit, it's not fucking ice skating.

OK. The truth is that 74.88% of penalties are scored. We’ll never know if we would have converted it but, based on those probabilities (Fulham = 1 goal in the bag, Blades = 0.75 goals) we still deserved to lose.

I don’t but this “players have played the game so they understand more than refs”.

Players usually make terrible managers, not sure why refereeing would be any different. It’s a totally different skill set.

Take cricket for example. You essentially get to umpire yourself by using DRS and how often do they get it right - half the time?

They've been saying that for as long as I've been watching football, and that's a long time.

It's typical of the sort of ex-pro arrogance that meant until recently those who hadn't had a professional football career weren't considered as managers because they'd "never played the game"

Shoe salesman Arrigo Sacchi should have blown that theory apart in the 1980s. As he said "I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse"

The same for referees, they're either good or bad and a lot of the time they have to make quick decisions that are based on subjective judgements. I'm surprised they get it right as often as they do. An ex pro ref's reputation would last for as long as he dropped his first major bollock.

OK. The truth is that 74.88% of penalties are scored. We’ll never know if we would have converted it but, based on those probabilities (Fulham = 1 goal in the bag, Blades = 0.75 goals) we still deserved to lose.
I agree. 'Deserving to lose' is different to it being an 'unfair result'.

Well, once again a football club has been let down by VAR.

I will be very interested as to what excuse Stockley Park gives for not awarding it.

Extremely confident Mike Riley will one again apologise the CW and the club for the mistake made by VAR.

For reference, we deserved absolutely nothing from the game - this doesn't excuse a blatant error by the 2 referees that discuss these at Stockley Park.

If Lundstrams big toe can be offside then fine - but it should also follow that if Bogles big toe reaches the ball a split second before the keeper then that is why we have 60 frames per second cameras to pick up.

It would not have been a red card - yellow card and penalty should have been the result.

yet another disgraceful decision by the "referees club"

UTB

You say that but I would say we had as many clear chances than they did

But even then we don't hit the target, or send in a pearoller, eg Enda's 'attempt'.

I didn't see the penalty incident by then I'd had enough of the turgid shit we were turning out, it may have been nailed on but it doesn't excuse last nights performance. In 1st half we NEVER set foot in their box we were disgrace to players that ever pulled our shirt on, we fight we don't lie down and die.

Let's face it Fulham wanted it and we made them look like Bayern Munich but last night was a shambolic display of everything that isn't Sheffield United. Lookman's goal was very similar to one at Lane where he made idiots of our defence, last night it was Ampadu and then he nutmegged Ramsdale.

I honestly thought we'd get something last night but we'd lost before we got on pitch, I also thought we were capable of beating Liverpool now I don't see us beating anyone. Last night was a sad night in a sad season that cannot end quick enough, and all those who think we'll piss Championship next season and come back up; well we've never done it before.

I've lived through every relegation and promotion since 68 and this one is turning out to be the hardest to stomach, last season 9th with ease this nowhere okay we've had injuries and no crowds but so have all the clubs we just keep feeling sorry for ourselves. A city like Sheffield should have 2 PL clubs like Manchester or Liverpool, yet we sit on the verge of one in Championship, and one in L1 that is a disgrace.

Other than Murphy, everybody has been unanimously in our favour. Murphys words were actually "it was a penalty, but I'm glad it wasn't given". He's an ex Fulham player, he's entitled to say that. Gary Lineker said it was as much as a penalty you'd ever see.

Sounnes was incensed by it. He questioned if the PL has the "elite" referees, how bad are the not so good referees. Lescott agreed with him.

I have no idea how VAR turned it down. Baffling. Or should I say - "Mind Bogle-ing"

In real time, it is unclear to be fair.

With multiple camera angles, reruns and slomos, it’s a nailed on penalty.

The REAL question on the table is WHY var has not picked this up and called it for what it is ?

I was firmly in the VAR camp and hoped it would improve decision making like last night. That it would provide fairness based on all available evidence to get decisions right.

It hasn’t. It has failed.

Truth is it’s ruining the game, and the authorities must look closely at this.

UTB

Can’t believe this was dismissed by the pundits and media so lightly.

It hasnt been MoTD said it was a penalty. Also said it could have broken his leg.

Dont forget its Sheffield United we dont get the "big decisions" talked about afterwards.

If we’d have been level on points with Fulham but still had the same game yesterday, not one of our own fans would argue that it wasn’t a penalty. The situation doesn’t change that. It was a penalty and we were robbed of at least a point even though we didn’t deserve it. We deserved all 3 at West Brom but didn’t get them. That’s football.

Don't think it is anything to do with it been us. Just incompetent officials (Peter Banks I think on VAR last night) getting it wrong. Can excuse Atkinson in real time (although how he managed to end up giving a free lick to Fulham at the end of it all) but VAR can have no excuse. Banks should be told he is getting no more games until he has been on a retraining course on how the rules should be applied. However the guy in charge of them is Mike Riley which goes a long way to explaining the standards we are seeing. Remember this is the elite list of referees, just wait till next season.

Totally agree this point. Did we get 3 points away against WBA because we were the best team and missed loads of chances?

For all that we were poor, what did Fulham create? Their goal should have been dealt with by Ampadu. Baldock cleared a weak shot off the line and they had a few shots from distance you'd expect all keepers to save.

Enda missed the best chance of the match, we were unlucky with the whole corner involving Bryan winning the header and we should have had a clear penalty.

They have more ball, passed it better, but to very little effect.

Back
Top Bottom