Our Goal Yesterday

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Never realised quite how good it was at the time.

Just watched the whole game again.

Jack wins it and knocks it down the line to Didsy
Didsy flicks it over the defender’s head then hits a classic 40 yard crossfield ball to George
10 yards to Billy
Out to Bash
Back to Ollie
Inside to Enda
Out to George
Back to Ollie
Cross to Didsy

You do the hokey-kokey and you turn around....

Actually, I think our overloads now try to focus on those very 2 players putting the final ball in to the box. I'm sure Ollie did that recently which ended in another goal. Can't remember who scored it though - most likely Billy.
I have noticed that. Norwood in paticular never used to get wide when Baldock/Basham were interplaying on the right but now he often does.

If you count the player at the edge jumping, they had 10 players in the box as the cross went in.

Yep, and that "fannying about" as others have put it, renders eight of them irrelevant, and allows the two strikers to cross over and both get in front of their centre halves.

I know it's frustrating at times but that's why we play so patiently. That's how you break down a solid defence.

Yep, and that "fannying about" as others have put it, renders eight of them irrelevant, and allows the two strikers to cross over and both get in front of their centre halves.

I know it's frustrating at times but that's why we play so patiently. That's how you break down a solid defence.

It's only frustrating to those who have little or no understanding of the game. Shooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.

Didn't see CW coming. Right over your head that appointment! :D

I've seen the error of my ways. Tufty completely changed my mind by the quality of his football, certainly not by any silly Bladey Bladeness considerations. I now listen respectfully and assiduously to anything he says. I don't pretend he has or hasn't said something depending on whether it supports my own view or not. The Gerritintbox Brigade are entitled to their thinly disguised plea for hoof but they ought to acknowledge the uncomfortable [for them] truth that neither Knill nor Wilder agree with them. Quite the contrary. Tufty says its Noise and Nonsense.

S2 - Frustrated by good football.

Good call, but Schurely Schurrle's at Burnley was better? (Won't win GoTM, though. It's usually a 30-yard screamer...)

I did think Schurrle's goal was superb. For a team goal ours gets extra points and for one of the best headed goals I have seen - it gets even more.

It's only frustrating to those who have little or no understanding of the game. Shooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.

Well, when it's done badly you get David Weir style football. Painfully slow, easy to defend, and wasteful. I'll admit even this season I've had times of getting wound up with us for not playing quicker and trying to force some chances, but when we're playing well it's beautiful football.

The type of tippy-tappy fannying around that annoys the hell out of me is the "play it across the back four for 10 minutes at a time" sort of play. I know that also has its proponents, but passing to a player whose back is to the opposition goal, who then just passes it straight back, does my head in. Having possession in the opponents half and allowing a series of passes to end up with a back pass to the keeper is also my definition of negative football.
None of this is the same as the sort of positive, probing, passing game that Wilder has developed. My only criticism, and it's not a major one, is that some of the players who are capable of running at the defence and taking a man on, especially in the box, should do so more often.

Well, when it's done badly you get David Weir style football. Painfully slow, easy to defend, and wasteful. I'll admit even this season I've had times of getting wound up with us for not playing quicker and trying to force some chances, but when we're playing well it's beautiful football.

Wound up by this team? I’m surprised, in your case. I thought you enjoyed the game played the right way?

We have a team playing the best football most contributors on here have ever seen yet we insist on proclaiming the merits of long ball.

Only, absolutely only, in S2.

I ought to have been a coiled spring under Dinosaur Dave and Semi-Pro.

Last edited:
Proper football v Hoof. Only one winner all over the world.

Except in S2...

View attachment 48154
Like life football isn,t black and white, hoof or 'proper football , its a mixture of all types of play. Wilder has , over the last month ,started to mix it up a bit. He needed to because playing one way was getting found out. The arrival of Madine will give us a further option. UTB.

Like life football isn,t black and white, hoof or 'proper football , its a mixture of all types of play. Wilder has , over the last month ,started to mix it up a bit. He needed to because playing one way was getting found out. The arrival of Madine will give us a further option. UTB.

Let’s be absolutely clear. Wilder doesn’t accept what you say. He believes in the right way.

Best to put a marker down or fiction elides into folk lore. Rather like Frank Lampard’s never-said comment about Monty.

You hoofers really ought to have the courage to say you prefer grotesque, mind-numbing ‘football’ rather than dressing it up as something it isn’t. It would be risible, but at least honest.

Come on Hoofers - no more euphemisms like Plan B, direct football, early crosses and mix it up. Show us your true colours. Be loud, be proud of your S2 legacy.

Altogether now:

Kick it Long; Kick it Hard; Kick it High.

Good call, but Schurely Schurrle's at Burnley was better? (Won't win GoTM, though. It's usually a 30-yard screamer...)

Great goal, but ours was more of a team effort with much better build up.

Wound up by this team? I’m surprised, in your case. I thought you enjoyed the game played the right way?

We have a team playing the best football most contributors on here have ever seen yet we insist on proclaiming the merits of long ball.

Only, absolutely only, in S2.

I ought to have been a coiled spring under Dinosaur Dave and Semi-Pro.

There are definitely instances in games where we get to close to perfect crossing or shooting opportunities, and then the players cuts back or makes an extra pass. But I'm also a poker player. I'm all about long term expectation and consistently applying winning strategies. If I sometimes get wound up, I've also said that there are games we've lost under Wilder (the Fulham game last year was one of the best league games I've been to) that were more enjoyable by far than wins under Blackwell

Mostly though, I think what happens is people always look at an example of something different working and then think "if only we did that we'd be even better". When a team's wasting money on big signings they look around and say "why don't we snipe the best talent from the lower leagues?", now we have a squad mostly based on that everyone looks around and say "why aren't we snapping up players from around Europe?". They see clips like the Schurrle goal and think "why don't we go more direct?".

You have to put United in context; Low budget, small scouting network, taken over from the middle of League One, players that can pass and move as well as anyone at this level. Then it should be clear to anyone that this is far better than anyone could reasonably expect and while looking for ways to improve is good, changing the philosophy Wilder's built the side around would be pretty daft.

Let’s be absolutely clear. Wilder doesn’t accept what you say. He believes in the right way.

Best to put a marker down or fiction elides into folk lore. Rather like Frank Lampard’s never-said comment about Monty.

You hoofers really ought to have the courage to say you prefer grotesque, mind-numbing ‘football’ rather than dressing it up as something it isn’t. It would be risible, but at least honest.

Come on Hoofers - no more euphemisms like Plan B, direct football, early crosses and mix it up. Show us your true colours. Be loud, be proud of your S2 legacy.

Altogether now:

Kick it Long; Kick it Hard; Kick it High.
Whats it like in your black and white world Pinchy ? Boring and 2 dimensional i guess.

This has stopped working for me sadly - none of the videos will load/play :(

Anyone else having this issue?

They don't work if you have an adblocker active. Just greenlist United's website and it'll work if you do.

Actually, I think our overloads now try to focus on those very 2 players putting the final ball in to the box. I'm sure Ollie did that recently which ended in another goal. Can't remember who scored it though - most likely Billy.

Bill scored from a Norwood ball against Ipswich, Ollie took it round a man first though so not technically first time, similar whip on it though.

Whats it like in your black and white world Pinchy ? Boring and 2 dimensional i guess.

My world is full of the enchanting colours of the beautiful game. The monochrome of grotesque anti-football held so dear in S2 has no attraction for me, or anyone who knows the right way, like our manager. He says it all the time. Hoofers cover their ears and wish it were not so.

Noise and Nonsense.

My world is full of the enchanting colours of the beautiful game. The monochrome of grotesque anti-football held so dear in S2 has no attraction for me, or anyone who knows the right way, like our manager. He says it all the time. Hoofers cover their ears and wish it were not so.

Noise and Nonsense.
Like so many of your posts :rolleyes:

Like so many of your posts :rolleyes:

Listen to Tufty, not me. He demolishes the daft notions of our silly fans week by week but they pretend not to hear. He’s rubbished the Plan B Brigade today but they’ll carry on regardless.

Back
Top Bottom