Ollie Norwood retires from international duty

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’m a bit concerned by this.

When he pulled out of their previous games it was for “personal reasons” then it was announced he needed a hernia op post season.

Now he’s retiring completely from international duty I just hope it isn’t related to the op or injury related.

He always spoke very proudly about playing for Northern Ireland because of his grandad so to retire unexpectedly at 28 is strange.

I’m a bit concerned by this.

When he pulled out of their previous games it was for “personal reasons” then it was announced he needed a hernia op post season.

Now he’s retiring completely from international duty I just hope it isn’t related to the op or injury related.

He always spoke very proudly about playing for Northern Ireland because of his grandad so to retire unexpectedly at 28 is strange.

We're his people now.

Here’s a random thought...

It could be down to work-life balance?

Although its sad for NI, it's probably good for us and he will be fresher for th rest during international breaks. It can only prolong his career as well.

Does anyone know what the rules are for call ups?
Say for example he had retired and then was called up for NI but refused. Could be be suspended from football?
Not that I'm saying that will ever happen. Just wondered what the rules were on call ups.
Can you ever get suspended for refusing to play an international? They can’t force them to play anywhere, apart from the JPT.

He should have seen out this campaign at least, Northern Ireland are top of the group albeit with their four toughest matches to come against Germany and Netherlands home and away. They’ll stand a better chance of qualifying with Ollie in the team.

Surely he’d want to play in a World Cup so maybe after the 2022 campaign would have been the best time to retire?

Personally, I like to see our players play for their countries. It’s further recognition of the club’s progression and the great job Wilder is doing.

I think there’s this presumption that it’s an honour to play for your country and you should do whatever you can to play. But if you don’t like the setup, your position, the coach, the additional nights away from home, you’re not from that country, that country is rubbish at football (any or all of the above), I can see why you’d jack it in.

There’s obviously a lot of honour, pride, glory etc but some of the stories you read the international set up does treat you like they own you when actually you’re a volunteer.

Wouldn’t catch me quitting if I could play for England, but if my Nannan was from Gibraltar and we got nowhere near anything, I’d probaby quit if I finally got my Premier League chance at the third time of asking.

Couldn't like the 'set up', he's in the form of his life.
Hes in the premiership now where he's dreamed of playing all his career, he knows he's got to keep high standards to keep his shirt as Wilder is a tough task master
The competition for places is going to be fierce and obviously feels he needs time to prepare for games.
It's tough travelling around the world playing football , he knows his own body and having loads of caps knows how much international football takes out of you.
We should benefit from this as a fresh Norwood is a better player than a jaded one.

They are discussing the Oli Norwood retirement on Talksport now.
Clinton Morrison is saying how dissapointed he is that Norwood is retiring from international whilst in his prime with many years ahead of him.
He said he’s watched Norwood several time and really rates him as a top player, said he was the best player on the pitch in the SU v CP game.

However he did counter that he resisting being too harsh because maybe there are valid personal and private reasons.
He said that when a team is in the Championship there are plenty of games, so he can understand why a player might prefer to rest during the international break however he said at Pl level, there’s not many mid week games, so players should look forward to internationals more.

He then said his he loved playing for the Republic of Ireland and that team was like a club team.
He also suggested that Northern Ireland have a chance of reaching major tournaments so again can’t understand Norwoods decision.
He said that after a few months Norwood might miss the international scene and hopefully change his mind.

Agree there’s little logic in his retirement, can only assume that there’s a valid personal reason.

Happy being a Sheff United fan.

Sorry as a general football fan, should be an honour to represent your country. But he was born in England so maybe he just doesn't give a fuck/has pressing personal issues. If so fair play

Back
Top Bottom