Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes the Claymore. Still have fond memories, early seventies. Not sure what is is now ?
used to start a Saturday night pub crawl in the Claymore, then jump the barrier in the middle of the road, for a pint in the Mulberry, then the Dove & Rainbow, Mucky Duck, Golden Ball, Stonehouse, and finally the Pig and Whistle

I've just double checked with my lad and has been split up again so Code and what used to be Berlin's are now separate venues again. They had been turned into 1 venue for a while so the old Berlins area was in effect Code's 2nd room.

I used to buy most of my vinyl from Reflex and that place in Orchard Square back in the day and always found Leverton to be an absolute arrogant prick. Never liked him. He promoted a bassline type event in that club under Ponds Forge for a while that was run by The Leadmill. I worked the doors there for some of them during the 3 years I spent on the doors at The Leadmill and was still a full weight bellend then as well.
Same , I used to buy vinyl from him in dance records and then reflex , he was always a right arrogant twat and thought he was the nan of the Sheffield dance scene, someone may be able to shed more light but it once massively kicked off in the boozer to the left of the cathedral( as your looking at it )with the beeb and maybe the grunts as he cowered like a big girl under the dj booth , late 90s early 00s

used to start a Saturday night pub crawl in the Claymore, then jump the barrier in the middle of the road, for a pint in the Mulberry, then the Dove & Rainbow, Mucky Duck, Golden Ball, Stonehouse, and finally the Pig and Whistle
Remember em all well. Leaping the barrier was less hassle than going under the road. Someone earlier said that the Claymore was a « geordie pub ».

Funny we used to be in the mulberry and used to jump the barrier for fun and games

Remember em all well. Leaping the barrier was less hassle than going under the road. Someone earlier said that the Claymore was a « geordie pub ».

Whenever Newcastle played in Sheffield The Claymore was a pub their supporters made a bee line for as it was a Scottish & Newcastle Pub, selling Youngers, Exhibition and Newcastle Brown.

Legend has it that when Newcastle played in a Semi Final at Hillsborough in the 70s Jimmy Nail was arrested on Arundel Gate trying to nick the Pinball Machine from the upstairs bar in The Claymore.

Last edited:
The Claymore was without doubt the best Pub in Sheffield City Centre in the mid to late 70s and early 80s.

Anyone who frequented it during this time must have bumped in to the Scottish glass collector, Little Jimmy.

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a nice little mid week pub crawl to be had on a summer evening along Hill Street .... start Albion, London Road, onto Hill Street, Sheldon, Ship ( Great Britain), Harwood Hotel, Railway, I think there was a nice little chippy on Hill Street also to round it off.

Me and my mates would sometimes start our Friday night around there, end up in the Sheldon, which was always packed, and then on to London Road.

Saturday night was usually West Street and then into the Limit.

Whenever Newcastle played in Sheffield The Claymore was a pub their supporters made a bee line for as it was a Scottish & Newcastle Pub, selling Youngers, Exhibition and Newcastle Brown.

Legend has it that when Newcastle played in a Semi Final at Hillsborough in the 70s Jimmy Nail was arrested on Arundel Gate trying to nick the Pinball Machine from the upstairs bar in The Claymore.

Just read the Jimmy Nail book it was when Newcastle played Burnley in the FA Cup Semi Final at Hillsborough in 1974 when the Pinball Machine incident happened.

It was 1976 when he was arrested after Newcastle lost at The Lane 1-0 and was sentenced to four months in prison.

Just read the Jimmy Nail book it was when Newcastle played Burnley in the FA Cup Semi Final at Hillsborough in 1974 when the Pinball Machine incident happened.

It was 1976 when he was arrested after Newcastle lost at The Lane 1-0 and was sentenced to four months in prison.
Yep he didn't jump the barrier on arundal gate quick enough 🤣

It's now owned by Martin Leverton. Think it's called network now?
He also owns music junkee record shop/music equipment store. And used to own Reflex Records which was located near the egg box town hall.
Think he also runs the Reflective bassline music nights.
He bought plug and the adjoining smaller club and has knocked it all into a 3 room nightclub.
Known Martin for over 20 years ,one son Alex goes to the matches with us and is managing Network now ,his other lad James is a very good keeper ,was on Everton and Man utds books a few years ago. All big Blades.

Don't want to talk about trouble and stuff, but I remember a big fight kicking off in the Limit, and the Winn Gardens lads I knew (mainly pigs) came up against a much younger crew of Blades from Gleadless Valley, and there was only one winner that night.

I was in the club in late 77 when a band from London (called "Bethnal", from Bethnal Green, in London) were playing, and a Blade from Gleadless had escaped from Borstal and turned up at the Limit, and some plain clothed coppers turned up, and we persuaded the DJ to play "Borstal Breakout" by Sham 69. and this lad was dancing and pogoing in front of the coppers.

Not sure how many times you went, but I was there most Saturdays (and other nights) from around 78 to 83.

Plenty of Wendy lads I knew went in, but so did a ton of Blades. Plus, this was the coolest club in town, and no way were pig fans "cooler" than Blades lads.
Same here ,I will definitely know you ,first act I saw was Joe Jackson then the Undertones ,and we chatted after with both of them. Ant Genn closed the Limit using my record collection. If I remember correctly Bethnal had a black guy in them ,which was unusual for a punk band in the 70s.
Never a Wednesday joint ,it wasnt owt to do with football ,the bouncers were from both sides anyway ,the Macleans were Blades, Andrews and others were grunters.

Same here ,I will definitely know you ,first act I saw was Joe Jackson then the Undertones ,and we chatted after with both of them. Ant Genn closed the Limit using my record collection. If I remember correctly Bethnal had a black guy in them ,which was unusual for a punk band in the 70s.
Never a Wednesday joint ,it wasnt owt to do with football ,the bouncers were from both sides anyway ,the Macleans were Blades, Andrews and others were grunters.

Yep, the bass player was a black guy, the singer also played an electric violin, they sounded like The Who.

The 12 inch single I have is called "Don't Do It"

Do you when it's license was changed to allow the sale of spirits and wine?At
At one time, many moons ago, there were plenty of "beer houses" no spirits, around the Lane, the Sheldon was one, I was always led to believe it was something to do with the toilet set up being out in the back yard and not part of the premises

At one time, many moons ago, there were plenty of "beer houses" no spirits, around the Lane, the Sheldon was one, I was always led to believe it was something to do with the toilet set up being out in the back yard and not part of the premises
Just been doing a bit of research and beer houses were introduced in the 1830s to combat the gin palaces hence the granting of licence to sell only beer. During the first World War licensing laws were tightened and magistrates had control of the issue licences. I cannot find what began the demise of the beer only licences but my theory would be as time moved on more and more premises applied of a beer, wine and spirit licences and must have been almost universally granted.
I also couldn't find anything regarding toilet set up but I did find that coaching inns and taverns with accommodation sold any alcohol whereas pre the introduction of beer houses alehouses would only sell ale.

Beer Houses were introduced in the 1830 Beerhouse Act and they did not originally need a proper License.
You just had to pay a small yearly Excise fee and you could brew and sell beer, but only beer!

Literally thousands of them opened up all over the place and (strangely enough!) many were more than a bit rough.....
Things got bad enough that the 1869 Wine and Beer House Act brought licensing of the beerhouses back to the local licensing justices.
That lead to a lot of them either closing down or been turned into proper pubs.

Yep, the previous two post just about sums it up, the beer houses got demolished as the big slum clearance after WW2 and into the 50s got underway and likely few survived, possibly only the ones that were profitable and in a prominent position for passing trade such as around the Lane.
Good posts much appreciated.

Known Martin for over 20 years ,one son Alex goes to the matches with us and is managing Network now ,his other lad James is a very good keeper ,was on Everton and Man utds books a few years ago. All big Blades.

Yeah I've known him since the mid 90s.
Used to be a regular at Reflex Records every week spending all my wages on records!

Do you when it's license was changed to allow the sale of spirits and wine?
Early 90s I think, if pushed I’d say 94. Certainly think it was beer only in 87 as I went in to celebrate the fact it was only ale.
Last known pub to have different pricing between tap and saloon is still going down here in Broadstairs. Unless anyone knows of a Sheffield pub?. And for anyone interested it’s 4 p more for the pleasures of the saloon!! How pub times change so quickly…

Saw the Undertones at the Top Rank in 1980, my second ever gig. First had been Sham69 at the same venue a few weeks earlier. About 800 skinheads fought with a couple of hundred punks all night, and the under age Herberts like us (jeans and Harringtons) tried to keep out of the way. The bouncers searched everybody thoroughly on the way in and then just protected the bar. Sham's battle hardened roadies protected the stage and their gear, so the dance floor was a free for all. Seen some football shit in the 80s and got a hiding a couple of times, but I've never been as scared as that night.
IIRC, Sheffield was the 2nd date of about 20. The tour was abandoned after just 4 gigs. The positive thing was that the Undertones made me realise gigs could actually be fun!

Another punk(ish) band with black lads;

Saw the Undertones at the Top Rank in 1980, my second ever gig. First had been Sham69 at the same venue a few weeks earlier. About 800 skinheads fought with a couple of hundred punks all night, and the under age Herberts like us (jeans and Harringtons) tried to keep out of the way. The bouncers searched everybody thoroughly on the way in and then just protected the bar. Sham's battle hardened roadies protected the stage and their gear, so the dance floor was a free for all. Seen some football shit in the 80s and got a hiding a couple of times, but I've never been as scared as that night.
IIRC, Sheffield was the 2nd date of about 20. The tour was abandoned after just 4 gigs. The positive thing was that the Undertones made me realise gigs could actually be fun!

Another punk(ish) band with black lads;

I went to the Sham 69 concert with my Brother who was heavily influenced by the previous years resurrection of the mod movement due to the release of Quadrophenia.

He had a two tone suit on, Fred Perry t-shirt and a Parka, he stood out like a sore thumb.

Just been doing a bit of research and beer houses were introduced in the 1830s to combat the gin palaces hence the granting of licence to sell only beer. During the first World War licensing laws were tightened and magistrates had control of the issue licences. I cannot find what began the demise of the beer only licences but my theory would be as time moved on more and more premises applied of a beer, wine and spirit licences and must have been almost universally granted.
I also couldn't find anything regarding toilet set up but I did find that coaching inns and taverns with accommodation sold any alcohol whereas pre the introduction of beer houses alehouses would only sell ale.
According to Wikipedia the Sheaf View was another with a limited license because the toilets were outside in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom