Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure when that photo of Four Lane Ends was taken but I'm sure that the road straight ahead (Chesterfield Road South) wasn't always dual carriageway.

I thought in the earlier years the carriageway on the right hand side was the only road. The central trees were much denser and we used to refer to them as the 'End Woods'.

The subway under Chesterfield Road South from Lowedges to Jordanthorpe schools was built later but not sure of the date.

Transport Ground hasn't altered a great deal up there but as referred to on other threads there's talk of Sheffield FC moving there.

There's a police box like the one in the photo next to the Town Hall on Surrey Street. As it's an original police box I always felt when Dr. Who was filmed in Sheffield a few years back they missed a trick by not using that in the story somewhere.
What year was the roundabout made? Here is another photo (from Dronfield to Sheffield)

1589112449896.png

View attachment 79271
I think this is a different picture of the same place. Saville st from the Wicker.
Tommy Wards to the right, in the background I'm going for Firth Brown Norfolk bar mill with Melting shop beyond that.

Please SEB, could you not post any more pictures with snow in them. Hate the stuff.

This is Sheffield! I have more with snow ⛄⛄⛄

Most newspapers carried a report. The Sheffield Telegraph (or Morning Telegraph as it was known) always carried a lengthy report. Benny Hill (not the comedian) was often the reporter. It was a broad sheet and made it difficult to open, read and then put back together as if it had come straight off the printing press.

It was difficult, which is why I gave up and used to shove the Morning Telegraph through the letterbox any old how, hoping to god that the dog got to it first.

I could do my whole paper-round without looking up from the paper, the only time being when I crossed Ecclesall Road South at the bottom of Ringinglow Road. I would know on autopilot when to turn into a drive, with surprisingly few mis-deliveries down the years.

My worst newspaper headline was the morning after relegation to the third division in 1979 after the 2-2 draw at home to Leicester. On the same night Liverpool had secured the title, meaning that the back page of one of the tabloids was divided down the middle - on one side the headline was "CHAMPS!" and on the other it was "CHUMPS!"

Thank you for that kind offer, very good of you HBT.
I have found a few bits and pieces about your grandfather from my programmes. I begin towards the end of his time at the Lane, with a reference to a game important to me. The programme for the Stoke match in March 1957 (is that your grandfather in the pic on the front cover?) refers to the previous week’s away game at Notts County, which was my very first away match, at the age of 9. As it says in the programme notes, your grandfather scored one of the goals in a 2-2 draw. I have some memories of the game ( the missed penalties and the snowballs), and I would love to say that I remember the goal, but I can’t. It is possible he scored the first-ever goal for me at an away game, but I can’t even remember if it was the 1st or 2nd goal. Sorry! More bits of info to follow.
A87678D3-2832-4DB5-98E7-A7A8286748E8.jpeg8C2A14AB-D9A1-4E4C-94B0-51C06EE26A35.jpeg

3 references to your grandfather in the programme notes, from reserves to first team. He clearly was highly regarded as a promising youngster, had good players ahead of him in the first team, and was adaptable in playing different positions to get into the teams. He played inside-right, inside-left, and left-wing in the programmes I have. The comments are positive.
ADFE166C-BBF2-4A1E-92FE-39F6E22BB57B.jpeg549BAD39-E7DB-4EDB-B9D3-34C9E18BE357.jpeg96CBD9DA-55B2-449E-A3A9-8CB87520A0C4.jpeg7E17A870-EB4C-4CA4-AA81-FCADCDC99C19.jpeg559C9221-96AB-4A16-B6CA-948A41AE3FB4.jpegCE40670C-C175-489F-8FB7-88A5E393B7FE.jpeg

One of the four goals we scored in the first 8 minutes of the Newcastle match. My dad and Uncle mick 's dad missed all the 4 goals cos they got in the ground 10 mins after the kick off.
It would probably be difficult to convince them of the score when they arrived - there was no scoreboard then to confirm an unbelievable score...

And finally, the programmes that I have closest to end of season in 1955, 1956 and 1957, to give an idea of your grandfather's appearances and goals for first-team, reserves, and A-team. He is not included in 53-54, so I assume he was one of the amateurs who are not individually listed.
A7CEAFD8-3A1F-4286-A838-568033D4DF52.jpegB7819CE1-B2E2-44F8-94A6-28F0828CC331.jpeg0BAE6066-0F0D-4E7A-BA17-A28728938608.jpeg4213C544-3F3D-4855-BEFC-1ADC0991134B.jpeg5793752F-1D70-4D2F-A325-FF8F96F8FCB4.jpeg8769B231-1967-4198-B221-660597620679.jpeg

And finally, the programmes that I have closest to end of season in 1955, 1956 and 1957, to give an idea of your grandfather's appearances and goals for first-team, reserves, and A-team. He is not included in 53-54, so I assume he was one of the amateurs who are not individually listed.
View attachment 79355View attachment 79356View attachment 79357View attachment 79358View attachment 79359View attachment 79360

That’s an amazing amount of info HBT, I’m grateful to see it. He had a run of games and goals towards the end of the 56/57 season. I think his last goal for the club was a penalty in the Liverpool game.

The Newcastle game was on New Years Day 1955, we won 6-2 and he scored twice. I always remember him saying you could smell ale on the Newcastle players’ breath!

Many thanks for taking the time, I’m really grateful.

That’s an amazing amount of info HBT, I’m grateful to see it. He had a run of games and goals towards the end of the 56/57 season. I think his last goal for the club was a penalty in the Liverpool game.

The Newcastle game was on New Years Day 1955, we won 6-2 and he scored twice. I always remember him saying you could smell ale on the Newcastle players’ breath!

Many thanks for taking the time, I’m really grateful.
I could tell from the stats that he had a good run of games at the end of 56/57, but I haven't got any of the programmes. And unfortunately, as with the goal at Notts County, my recall of that era is not good enough. Mind you, I even have trouble remembering how we went on last week. Come to think of it, I can't even remember who we played last week...

I could tell from the stats that he had a good run of games at the end of 56/57, but I haven't got any of the programmes. And unfortunately, as with the goal at Notts County, my recall of that era is not good enough. Mind you, I even have trouble remembering how we went on last week. Come to think of it, I can't even remember who we played last week...
You can see the front covers in the below link

Sorry HBT, your mind is really playing tricks. We didn't play last week.;)

Photos of West Street area taken in Dec 1983. I could do with reassurance (or otherwise) that my memory's not totally shot.
First, West St from Holly Lane.

West St Dec 1983.jpg

Behind these buildings and parallel with West St and Trippet Lane, there used to be a narrow alley running parallel all the way from Baily Lane to come out near the side of Trickett's Cutlery (Maggie May's) on Trippet Lane. This alley was connected to West St by at least two other alleys, one of which still remains, directly opposite the end of Calver St. This still leads at an angle down to Trippet Lane opposite the Grapes.

However, there was another connecting small alley just to the right or maybe left (?) of the buildings shown above in the first pic. I'm pretty sure (ish) that the following two pics are from this alley ( now built over).

West St Alley 2 Dec 1983.jpg

West St Alley Dec 1983.jpg

Finally, pic of Walter Trickett's for completeness .

Holly St Trippet Lane Dec 1983.jpg

Photos of West Street area taken in Dec 1983. I could do with reassurance (or otherwise) that my memory's not totally shot.

View attachment 79394

Behind these buildings and parallel with West St and Trippet Lane, there used to be a narrow alley running parallel all the way from Baily Lane to come out near the side of Trickett's Cutlery (Maggie May's) on Trippet Lane. This alley was connected to West St by at least two other alleys, one of which still remains, directly opposite the end of Calver St. This still leads at an angle down to Trippet Lane opposite the Grapes.

However, there was another connecting small alley just to the right or maybe left (?) of the buildings shown above in the first pic. I'm pretty sure (ish) that the following two pics are from this alley ( now built over).

View attachment 79395

View attachment 79396

View attachment 79397

Before the Tricketts building was Maggie Mays it was called Greens. The kitchen in there opened up into the remains of what looked like an old alley, most of which was built over by adjoining buildings.

View attachment 79394

View attachment 79395

View attachment 79396

View attachment 79397
To the right you can see the old C.W.S. building that, amongst other things, housed The Limit in the basement and Mike Watterson's snooker centre on the third and fourth floors (from memory)

Before the Tricketts building was Maggie Mays it was called Greens. The kitchen in there opened up into the remains of what looked like an old alley, most of which was built over by adjoining buildings.
Fantastic sandwich shop at the bottom of thos alley. Wonderful sausage and tomato. Problem it was run my a pigette.

This picture looks familiar, is it the entrance of the Share Holders. Use to wait in line and ask if they could get us in ,they could get 2 other people in with the brass disc. Saved me loads of money although only half a crown at the time . Some games though failed miserably.

Don't think so, think that was further up John Street towards players entrance. Last home game of that season though, Voucher 21 for season ticket holders.

Back
Top Bottom