Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I feel sure The Travellers and The Miners are still open (well not at the moment) and there is also the Fox and Hounds at Marsh Lane. There was another pub in Apperknowle called (I think) the Yellow Tiger and on the road between Nether Handley and Marsh Lane there was another pub on the left hand side, but for the life of me I can 't remember the name. I think the Gate Inn is still open but it is well off the beaten track and can't think how it gets any trade. I came across it years ago in one of our regular Saturday night jaunts into Derbyshire when there was an extra half hour drinking from the closing times in Sheffield. Old Harow to the Phoenix at Ridgeway was a favourite.

Yep Travellers and Miners still open. The other pub in Apperknowle was the Yellow Lion. The Landlord there reminded me a bit of Orson Welles and he had a huge white organ (musical kind) in the pub. The Yellow Lion is now a private residence. That left just the Barrack - which was still open a few years ago but I'm not sure if that survived. There used to be another pub called "The Poplar" on the tiny back road between Hundall and Old Whittington - that turned into a private residence some years ago now.

The Old Harrow to Phoenix run was legion back in the day due to the extra half hour drinking time in Derbyshire. In the 1960's and early 70's, there wasn't a social conscience like there is today about drink-driving. It was sort of "acceptable" to have a few pints (not to get blinding drunk) and drive. There was a steady flow of traffic, one-way, between Gleadless and Ridgeway around 10.30 pm most nights.

The Derbyshire border is just past the Old Harrow, on White Lane, going towards Ridgeway. I nearly came badly unstuck there one winter's night. I was driving home, to Eckington, along that road. It was a cold winters night but there was no snow about and the roads in Sheffield had been fine. Then, as I go past the Old Harrow, I hit the accelerator as the country road opens up and next minute I've lost control of it and am in the hedge bottom on the other side of the road. Sheffield roads had been gritted, Derbyshire roads hadn't - and I'd hit a patch of ice and left the road completely. The car was down a ditch with one back wheel up in the air. I managed to get out unscathed and was grateful to a chap walking back towards the Old Harrow, (he'd probably been to the Phoenix) who came over to help me. Essentially he sat on the back wing of the car so the tyre would come into contact with the road - I managed to reverse out of it and get home safely. Needless to say, I took it steady all the way back after that!

FA Cup 5th Round tie on Saturday 15th February 1936 Sheffield United v Leeds United the significance of this picture is that depicts the record attendance at Bramall Lane for a soccer match.
For the record the Blades won 1-0. The Blades were in the old Second Division and went on to reach the FA Cup Final losing 1-0 to Arsenal. View attachment 78931
Wonder what the attendance would have been with four sides? Tremendous picture.

I think you probably had a good deal going to Old Trafford in April 1957. I liked that Sunderland side (Shackleton, Stan Anderson, Charlie Hurley, etc.), and I went to Middlesbrough, where Utd lost 3-1. I have absolutely no memory of the game. Pictures of the programme below, including a nice piece on Jimmy Hagan.
View attachment 78927View attachment 78928View attachment 78929
Thank you so much for post, owt to learn about Sir James an' I'm all ears.
You and I like others, though a slowly dwindling group, were kids/youths when we saw his skills so reading such snippets, as in your programme, help reinforce what we know but sometimes may question through the passage of time.
When the writer of that piece starts with 'Jimmy' then reverts to 'James', at one point, you can feel the respect he had and also that, that was the general consensus.
Looking at Blades team for Middlesbrough, I remember well that half back line. Tommy Hoyland 100%'er good solid pro playing for his team. Joe, no need to use surname for this feller, every body knows what he brought. Jim Iley, strong, skilful and some class about him. Unfortunately one of the inexplicable sales United have made over the years.
Again thanks keep them coming, I imagine you have a near 'Bert' sized garage to store your Blades ephemera.

Last edited:
You and I like others, though a slowly dwindling group, were kids/youths when we saw his skills so reading such snippets, as in your programme, help reinforce what we know but sometimes may question through the passage of time.
When the writer of that piece starts with 'Jimmy' then reverts to 'James', at one point, you can feel the respect he had and also that, that was the general consensus.
Looking at Blades team for Middlesbrough, I remember well that half back line. Tommy Hoyland 100%'er good solid pro playing for his team. Joe, no need to use surname for this feller, every body knows what he brought. Jim Iley, strong, skilful and some class about him. Unfortunately one of the inexplicable sales United have made over the years.
Again thanks keep them coming, I imagine you have a near 'Bert' sized garage to store your Blades ephemera.
Replying to my own post as forgot to mention when I wrote my post on Man Utd V Sunderland game I looked to see where Blades were at. I also looked at the team noticing John Spencer on the left wing where it showed he had an extended run through to the end of season. John Spencer's son in law is on here but prefers anonymity, respected, and he PM'd me after I mentioned John on one occasion. Without saying too much, he told me what a great bloke John was and of his affection for the club, supporting it in later life. Once a Blade Always................................etc.
Inside left was Jones, must have seen him play but no recollection, only a blond/fair haired youth in a preseason squad photo.

Replying to my own post as forgot to mention when I wrote my post on Man Utd V Sunderland game I looked to see where Blades were at. I also looked at the team noticing John Spencer on the left wing where it showed he had an extended run through to the end of season. John Spencer's son in law is on here but prefers anonymity, respected, and he PM'd me after I mentioned John on one occasion. Without saying too much, he told me what a great bloke John was and of his affection for the club, supporting it in later life. Once a Blade Always................................etc.
Inside left was Jones, must have seen him play but no recollection, only a blond/fair haired youth in a preseason squad photo.

My grandad was John Spencer, obviously I’m biased, but I always love to see when a programme or a mention of him makes an appearance on the forum! Thanks.

A couple of photos both from July 1985.
First looking down Hawley St towards Broad Lane roundabout. The Royal Oak on Hollis Croft, discussed often on this thread before, had its back entrance doorway facing the roundabout on the other side.

20200420_143026.jpg

Secondly below, looking up Townhead Steet towards Leopold St roundabout.
About where those two cars are was the Sheffield Playhouse, with its entrance half way down a curious alleyway.

20200420_142546.jpg

FA Cup 5th Round tie on Saturday 15th February 1936 Sheffield United v Leeds United the significance of this picture is that depicts the record attendance at Bramall Lane for a soccer match.
For the record the Blades won 1-0. The Blades were in the old Second Division and went on to reach the FA Cup Final losing 1-0 to Arsenal. View attachment 78931
IMG_20200506_0001.jpg

A copy of one of my prized possessions & being one of SUFC's rarest programmes even Sharrowblade does not appear to have an original !!!!

My grandad was John Spencer, obviously I’m biased, but I always love to see when a programme or a mention of him makes an appearance on the forum! Thanks.
I do remember seeing your grandad playing and seeing enough of him to recognise him on photos of the time.
He suffered from much positional competition whilst at the Lane but to his credit he had the ability to be selected and play in differing positions on the forward line.
John Spencer sounds an interesting person you must be very proud of him, his connection with football and especially with the Blades.

Thanks for that. You will have seen more of Hagan than I did, and seen him more in his prime. I have memories of bits of play from him, but my view of him probably comes mainly from my dad, who was a great admirer of Hagan, and from our local 'Bobby on the beat'. He was into cricket more than football, but whenever he saw me on my way to the local park, with my size 4 case-ball that accompanied me everywhere, he would always greet me with 'Na then, Hagan' (or, rather 'agan). In other words, for him Hagan meant 'footballer', which is quite a compliment to the great man.
I will certainly keep posting bits and pieces, though my ephemera is random and not terribly well organised. It is in a bedroom rather than a garage!
I can't remember whether you were on here when I did a thread '60 years ago this month' - based on programmes/scrapbook for the second half of the 1959-60 season. You would probably have memories to add.

You might have missed the references to Glyn Jones in the last couple of pages of the 'Sheffield United Reserves - the Glory Years' thread recently. Not a lot of information, though.

Thanks for that. You will have seen more of Hagan than I did, and seen him more in his prime. I have memories of bits of play from him, but my view of him probably comes mainly from my dad, who was a great admirer of Hagan, and from our local 'Bobby on the beat'. He was into cricket more than football, but whenever he saw me on my way to the local park, with my size 4 case-ball that accompanied me everywhere, he would always greet me with 'Na then, Hagan' (or, rather 'agan). In other words, for him Hagan meant 'footballer', which is quite a compliment to the great man.
I will certainly keep posting bits and pieces, though my ephemera is random and not terribly well organised. It is in a bedroom rather than a garage!
I can't remember whether you were on here when I did a thread '60 years ago this month' - based on programmes/scrapbook for the second half of the 1959-60 season. You would probably have memories to add.
Hope you will post your memories of the 1960-61 promotion season in your 60 years ago today thread!

View attachment 78990

A copy of one of my prized possessions & being one of SUFC's rarest programmes even Sharrowblade does not appear to have an original !!!!
Although it doesn’t come up too often it’s generally because it’s so expensive! I have 16 or 17 home programmes from that season but a copy of that one would set me back £250+. Now if your feeling generous.....
;)

You might have missed the references to Glyn Jones in the last couple of pages of the 'Sheffield United Reserves - the Glory Years' thread recently. Not a lot of information, though.
Certainly have, thank you, I shall now back track.👍

Hope you will post your memories of the 1960-61 promotion season in your 60 years ago today thread!
I will have a look if enough of the scrapbook for that season remains. They 'disappeared' for years, and I retrieved them eventually from my parents' house, but they had become pretty battered. Same with the programme collection. And my autograph collection never surfaced again. If there is enough of the material there, I will try to do it. It was a great season, and I really enjoyed doing the previous one.

Didn't realise the Gibsons were in charge of the club back then.
I am impressed that my readers read my stuff more closely than I do! Though after extensive research (a quick look at Wikipedia), I can't find a connection between the 1957 chairman and the current owner. And Gibson is a common surname in the north-east. So it might be a coincidence.

You probably know all there is to know about his time at the Lane, but if you want me to look out for details about him in my old programmes, let me know. And if you have stories about his life in football that you would like to share, please do.

You probably know all there is to know about his time at the Lane, but if you want me to look out for details about him in my old programmes, let me know. And if you have stories about his life in football that you would like to share, please do.

Thank you for that kind offer, very good of you HBT.

A couple of photos both from July 1985.
First looking down Hawley St towards Broad Lane roundabout. The Royal Oak on Hollis Croft, discussed often on this thread before, had its back entrance doorway facing the roundabout on the other side.

View attachment 78978

Secondly below, looking up Townhead Steet towards Leopold St roundabout.
About where those two cars are was the Sheffield Playhouse, with its entrance half way down a curious alleyway.

View attachment 78979

So what's now Butlers curry house used to be the Royal Oak pub?

Didnt know that.

So what's now Butlers curry house used to be the Royal Oak pub?

Didnt know that.
I don't think so Davalon. The Royal Oak was demolished in 1999. The main frontage was on Hollis Croft but its backyard had the alley onto the roundabout area. I've got this pic also which shows the alleyway entrance circled in yellow.
You can see the pub behind the "star" sign.
20200507_094956 (2).jpg

It's been on before but under these unusual times, despite he may have seen it before and because it is a little reminiscent of the 'bounce stopper', for axel smeets, John SpencerView attachment 79026shoots V Notts Forest FAC3rdR. 1954-55.

Thanks, no I’ve never seen that before, appreciate it.

View attachment 78990😄

Is it so rare that we mere mortals aren't allowed a peek inside? I know I would love to see more, and I'm 'dar garn sure' lots on S2 4SU also would. With much appreciation on behalf of myself and fellow blades around the globe.:)

I don't think so Davalon. The Royal Oak was demolished in 1999. The main frontage was on Hollis Croft but its backyard had the alley onto the roundabout area. I've got this pic also which shows the alleyway entrance circled in yellow.
You can see the pub behind the "star" sign.
View attachment 79030

Ah yeah thanks, further down the road.

Still a history lesson for me though as I didn't realise there used to be a pub there. I walk past that area a lot these days and drink in that area (or did!).

The only closed pubs I know around there are the Moseley Arms further down and the Queens on Scotland Street which is still there in a fashion.

When I saw your score line of the game in the painting, Blades win 1-0, I thought OK as from the recesses of my mind it registered that was so, based on information from attendees at the time. However looking in my bible it states Blades win 3-1, HT1-1, scorers Pickering-2, Dodds. Now confused but inclined to believe The Bible and is your and my recollection of the score wrong.

Think you're right on the score. Weird thing is we played Spurs at home in the 6th Round and the attendance was 46000 less.

Back
Top Bottom