Now that the dust has settled........

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blackheath Blade

Reaction score
and having read many posts and opinions on yesterday's events, I want to add my two penneth.

I'll admit, I was fuckin fuming at what I saw yesterday from both teams, both during the game and after the long delayed final whistle. Like a few others, I actually went round to wait outside the players entrance with the intention of telling Dickov what a disgrace both him and some of his players were.
Dave McCarthy is a long standing and very good friend of mine and when I told him how pissed off I was and what I was intending to say, he wisely told me to forget my plans as: 1) although i'd feel much better mouthing off at Dickov, it wouldn't change anything and: 2) Dickov might be a while as he was dealing with the matters which had arisen regarding Croft and the ball-boy.
Having had a think about things, we only had ourselves to blame yesterday although another shocking performance by a totally inept referee who lost control of the game didn't help. Let's face it, the team was piss poor in the first half and were fortunate be level at half time. We were unrecognisable from Leyton Orient last week where we dominated the game and as the afternoon wore on, the crowd became more frustrated both with Oldham's physical and nasty approach and our apparent inability to pass the ball to someone in a red & white shirt.
A few people have remarked at our tactics when we are trying to hang on to a one goal lead and for the last twenty odd minutes yesterday, it was a backs to the wall, hanging on for dear life performance. Although their equaliser came at about half past eight last night, I thought Oldham were worthy of the point despite their awful way of going about matters. Dickov has created a team who play in the same way as he used to: Nasty, niggly, downright fuckin aggressive and dirty and although sometimes effective, it's horrible to watch them get away with it because of a spineless twat of a referee.
Let's hope for a better perfomance this week at Meadow Lane because if we dont show some bollocks against Preston next Saturday, we'll get turned over easily by them.

Genuinely staggered at the response to yesterday such as the OP here. Seems very much like sour grapes to me. Just do not get this feeling of disgust at Oldham's manager and players. Dickov might be unpleasant but he sent out a highly committed, athletic side who played imo the vast majority of proper football on show and who - as you say above - got a well deserved point. So what if Dickov berates the 4th official, so what if there were a couple of melees - nothing unusual at all. We were showed up to be a painfully poor side and the future looks very bleak for SUFC. Tmac's challenge was worst of game and for cheating look no further than Cresswell and yesterday Blackman.

Thank god for your sake you didn't humiliate yourself after the game.

The way I saw it was:

First half was abysmal. They were better than us but that's not saying much.
First 20 mins of 2nd half we totally dominated and looked like going on to win.
We then sat back and our negativity, poor defending and the ref adding on too much time cost us dear.
A draw was a fair result.
Several of the Oldham players were a disgrace - continually chasing after the ref and confronting our players after every challenge, trying to get a player sent off.
Blackman was fouled several times & on one occasion went to ground too easily.
KMac deserved his booking - but that's all it was.
Dickov is a dick.
Croft is a twat - what a hard man he must be to confront a ball boy.
The Oldham fans seem to have enjoyed their day out. Must be novel for them seeing a nice ground and a decent sized crowd.

Genuinely staggered at the response to yesterday such as the OP here. Seems very much like sour grapes to me. Just do not get this feeling of disgust at Oldham's manager and players. Dickov might be unpleasant but he sent out a highly committed, athletic side who played imo the vast majority of proper football on show and who - as you say above - got a well deserved point. So what if Dickov berates the 4th official, so what if there were a couple of melees - nothing unusual at all. We were showed up to be a painfully poor side and the future looks very bleak for SUFC. Tmac's challenge was worst of game and for cheating look no further than Cresswell and yesterday Blackman.

Ah well, opinions are what these boards are all about Micalijo although with regards the actions of Dickov and his players, I think you may be in the minority with your view of things.
I agree we were second best yesterday, however, please get your facts right as nowhere in my OP was there any mention of cheating.

Are you Wednesday in disguise? Either that or just like to be Johnny Opposite! you cant have been watching the same match pal . Athletic my arse. They reminded me a lot of Notts County , in your face, press high up the pitch (which we dont like) very physical and cynical with a horrible little runt stirring things up in midfield if the futures bleak for you on the back of one poor performance there's always Swillboro.

Just out of interest has anyone watched todays game preston v mk dons
made our game yesterday look like the man 4 everton 4 game

that was the standard, we watched a poor game yesterday
but we are not alone
ask wednesday fans in a higher league, its not much better

We probably are setting our standards against our vision of how wed like to be , and the reality we are slightly better than some of the dross in here, just which is why we are 3rd

Are you Wednesday in disguise? Either that or just like to be Johnny Opposite! you cant have been watching the same match pal . Athletic my arse. They reminded me a lot of Notts County , in your face, press high up the pitch (which we dont like) very physical and cynical with a horrible little runt stirring things up in midfield if the futures bleak for you on the back of one poor performance there's always Swillboro.
It is not just one poor performance though is it, after the Bury game we thought it couldn't get worse. More like it is the odd good performance, the saving grace is the rest of this shit division are no better with the exception of maybe Tranmere and Ronnie Moore can't quite believe they are where they are.

It is not just one poor performance though is it, after the Bury game we thought it couldn't get worse. More like it is the odd good performance, the saving grace is the rest of this shit division are no better with the exception of maybe Tranmere and Ronnie Moore can't quite believe they are where they are.

Yep, I bet Ronnie thinks all his Birthdays have come at once at the moment! Dont agree with you on the odd good performance though, t'other way round if you ask me. Been more good than bad so far, and its still early days. However, we DO need to learn to play against teams like Oldham/Notts County. From what I've seen so far against physical sides that press us, we dont like it up us Cpt Mainwairing. Pretty football is fine, but we're in Div 3 and need to learn we're going to have to battle it out. We never got going against Oldham, I thought we were naive, knocking too many channel and diagonals that just went skidding out off the wet surface. We just dont have the pace for that down the flanks. I'm trying to take some positives out of a dire performance, but you are right we are probably marginally less shitter than the rest of the division. See where we are come Christmas eh.

That is probably your best post in the last two years... Or more.

We were hassled by a team that knew how to play us. We got nothing from the ref, except a pen and once in front we should've killed the game off.

If croft made racist remarks, then the league/ FA/ Oldham should deal with it appropriately.

Oldham were using experience and gamesmanship to get something out of the game. It took us 45 mins to wake up but we awoke with sleepy eyes and soon dozed off again.

Doyley post match interview was absolutely spot on, damning on the team, questioning their heart and he included himself. However post match rants are worthless, get on the pitch next league game and don't allow us to be bullied again. Morgs, Doyle, Cresswell all have heart and spirit, we need to toughen up and start getting in the faces of teams. Not tippy tapping the ball about in our half. It's Robson all over again when we play crab football - sideways.

Learn to counter, learn to put sides under pressure and get them on the back foot.

United were appalling first half but there's still no getting away from Oldham's disgusting tactics. They were the same last season, overreacting to every tackle in an attempt to get our players booked. As someone has already stated on this thread a nasty, niggly team built in the image of their manager.

Not happy the ref played that much injury time - funny how the injury time board didn't work - but equally unhappy that we didn't defend that last attack. We were very sloppy from the throw in that led to the goal, the player who crossed the ball shouldn't have had the chance to get the ball in. I think it was Blackman (could be wrong) who casually jogged over as the throw was being taken, he should have been switched on and his man marked up when the Oldham player (who crossed the ball) received it.

Personally I dont see the problem with Oldham's tactics, I'd have been more than happy with it if I was their manager. Pretty much everything they did was better than us, except for 15 - 20 mins at the start of the second half.

Our tactics, on the other hand, were shocking. Pass it about a bit at the back 'til it gets to the fullback then long ball forward, even if there's no-one there. Someone mnentioned "Pretty Football" above well what little was on display weren't played by us. The first 20 mins or so of the second half was a huge improvement, what really annoys me is how negative we become when we score.

Is this something the teams decides on its own when we score or is this something that Wislon wants them to do? Oldham hadn't been out of their own half when we scored, we then just sat back and invited the pressure and the inevitable happened. There was even one point where we had a free kick in the final third of their half and nobody went in the box, WTF.

On more than one occasion this season we've scored and sat back only to let the lead slip, why dont we try to carry on playing when we score, who knows we may even get a second.

Im starting to get annoyed with Wilson now, if its not his tactics to sit back when we score why is he not sorting it out?

Unfortunately the time added on was right, it was 3 mins added time then Hill went down injured so the Ref added that amount of time on. Even if it wasn't the right amount of time, should this be an issue though? Should we really be scratching around trying to blame other things rather than our own ability/tactics?

Unfortunately the time added on was right, it was 3 mins added time then Hill went down injured so the Ref added that amount of time on.

And then played on for another minute beyond that! More than 6 minutes injury time had elasped by then.

The stoppage for Hill's injury took almost 2 minutes exactly.

Even if it wasn't the right amount of time, should this be an issue though?

Yes, because although I agree with everything you say re the flaws in our performance, the fact remains that when it became time for the referee to end the game, we were winning. Without this incompetence - and this is not a subjective point but a basic timekeeping issue - we would have won.

It is not often you can say this with a refereeing decision, because you cannot know how things would have unfolded had a decision not been made. Here we can be sure, because there was no time for anything else to happen.

Had Oldham scored, say, immediately after the Hill injury stoppage there would be bo problem from this perspective.

ID LIKE ANY FAN IN HERE TO TELL ME WHEN EVERY GAME IN ANY ONE SEASON WAS FANTASTIC

It never happens
The 90 season when we over took the owls, some of the games and performances were bloody awful, with 4 games left we were in 3rd and playing poorly
the 4th division promotion year some of our performances were dire

Man City won the prem last season but were total wank in several games

absolute rubbish.. you're enjoying this too much mate.. WUM

ID LIKE ANY FAN IN HERE TO TELL ME WHEN EVERY GAME IN ANY ONE SEASON WAS FANTASTIC

It never happens
The 90 season when we over took the owls, some of the games and performances were bloody awful, with 4 games left we were in 3rd and playing poorly
the 4th division promotion year some of our performances were dire

Man City won the prem last season but were total wank in several games

And?

No-one is saying we should play like a mixture of Barca and Real M every game.

What quite a few people can see is that we aren't playing very well at home at the moment. Should we be afraid to say so? I don't think so. I judge every game on its merits. If I think we played poorly I'm not going to lie and say we were fantastic, what the fuck is the point in that?
Saturday was another poor performance (similar in many respects to Bury, Shrewsbury and Donny) and nowhere near as good as the performances against BMouth or Notts C.

Oldham were a nasty, niggly sort of team that I love to see take a hammering. We couldn't do it to them and that was frustrating. Listening to people trying to make out that it wasn't a bit rubbish is even more so.

Boys oh boys, said it in several posts already teams are'nt goner let us tickle there belly's as we smash 5 past em.We have to earn the right to beat em,Oldham was supposed to be first match of season, but lad wanted to go and see Germany instead. Ozil v Porter what a choice? Now that was an inept performance only cost me 300 euro for the pleasure of seeing fast flowing football lucky and only beaten 6-1 to boot, and still it would have been cheaper to see united. I remember under a certain mr Basset and uncle colin that's how we used to go about our business in your face style Dickhead was a twat of a player and he aint changed as a manager,listened to match on 5 live and they deserved there point,which is 1 more than we got at home agin them last year.still think we'll go up.UTB.

Have to say unusually I agree with most of Mic's statement - Oldham set off like a train and for 30 mins played us in our third of the field, something they'd planned to do I imagine as it stopped us doing what we like doing, playing it out from the back. However, over the 90 mins I thought we shaded it and deserved to scrape home.

They were irritatingly niggly and Dickov does moan, but no more niggly or moany than lots of teams and managers who come here. Fact is most teams including us will do almost anything to gain an advantage so thinking we were hard done by in that area is well short of the mark.

Fact is most teams including us will do almost anything to gain an advantage so thinking we were hard done by in that area is well short of the mark.

True.

In League One, a side with the budget and players we've got should, in theory, be able to play teams off the park. Sides like Oldham, Notts County and everyone in between will know that if they try and play they might get taken apart. That means that opposition managers will now be taking notes that United struggle when pressurised high up the pitch (a lack of composure in possession for the back 4), rely on Kevin McDonald for tempo (close him down before he turns) and lack awareness on the wings (Flynn excepted) and up front.

They will also notice that too many of United's players don't have good enough concentration. How many goals have we conceded this season from set pieces or hoofs into the box? That means that every opportunity to slow the game down will be taken - even at 1-0 down - as it breaks the play up.

It's now up to the management team at SUFC to drill into the United players that they are good enough to rise above the mind games and to not let their performance sink to the levels that they did on Saturday. I think some of the team need a rest but last season showed that Wilson is of the belief that players shouldn't be dropped unless they're truly awful.

I'd also really like Wilson to take the opportunity provided by the JPT to give some of the fringe players a run-out. Who knows; maybe one of Westlake, Chappell or McFadzean could have a blinder and prove to be ready for first team football?

Excellent post balham agree with everything said, and as you say the fringe/youth players should be given the chance to prove themselves in the JPT it may also remind a few regulars that they cant be complacent and still get picked every week. Id like to see mcfadzean and miller playing a substantial part in the game please danny!

Back
Top Bottom