Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure if it was just me last night and I know that any player could be singled out but I thought Norwood was exceptional last night. I'd love to know how many interceptions he made but he seemed to put a toe in constantly. Not his best passing game but his defensive work was just what was needed.

I am glad Ollie is doing so well.

It is also big fuck you to Brighton and Fulham who thought he wasn't worth keeping once they reached the PL.

Another quality performance yesterday, not the outstanding player but a solid 8/10 when 2 or 3 others are getting worthy 9/10’s.

Anyway, just wanted to mention a piece of superb play that gets lost in the overall team performance. Anyone sat roughly in line with the touch line on the SS side of the pitch should have got a decent view of this.

I think it was roughly half way through the second half and we had just repelled a bit of pressure and Norwood finds himself in the right back position, his only real option was to leather it which he did. However, unlike most of these clearances which tend to either be sliced out of play or go straight to their centre halves he managed to hit the ball so cleanly that it never deviated at all, gun barrel straight staying about 3 yards from the touchline, not only that but it was hit to the only place on the pitch that gave our striker a chance of getting the ball, about 10 yards short of the kop goal line. In fact I don’t think the ball ever got above head height. From memory I think their defender cleared it, but it allowed us to clear our lines and relieve any pressure without inviting them to come straight back at us, just as good as any of his outrageous defence splitting passes in my opinion.

Anybody else remember this?

Where are all those absolute whoppers gone who posted terrible, ill-informed shite after about 3 weeks of Premier League football? Please don’t pack it in as I need a good laugh at the minute. 🤣🤣🤣

I absolutely love the guy, but actually thought he was our worst player yesterday! Too many over hit passes, particularly first half. Second half he also got us into real trouble with a really sloppy 5 yard pass to his right that he underhit and let them in on an attack.

Not a slight on him overall, he’s immense.
Strange how we can see the game so differently eh!

I absolutely love the guy, but actually thought he was our worst player yesterday! Too many over hit passes, particularly first half. Second half he also got us into real trouble with a really sloppy 5 yard pass to his right that he underhit and let them in on an attack.

3-0 wins tend to cloud the judgment slightly. I agree he was the weakest of the 3 midfielders versus Burnley , but that’s no criticism as the other 2 both had their best games this season (ever?). 7.5/10 at worst for me.

Norwood plays a deeper role this season and he's expected to release the ball quickly to get it away from our box, and also to get the counter attack going quicky. As such he is likely to be more prone to giving away possession as not all of the quick exchanges will go off first time. Compare his role to that of Lundstram and Fleck, who are encouraged to keep possession and run with the ball.

Norwood is doing fine in his role and as the team gain more confidence his passing percentage will increase. Not all of his incomplete passes have been poor. Some have been intercepted and others incomplete as the receiving players didn't read the path of the ball or mistimed their runs.

Do we have a competition for our weakest player of the day award. When weve won 3-0 and gone 6th in the prem wow. If you can't see how our players benefit from Norwood both as an outlet and a supplier you need to watch a different sport. If we lose him for any reason we will have problems.

Speaking with a Man United fan yesterday who described him as one that got away, which took me back. Didn't think there would be many out there actually in the know that he was their player, let alone an absolute baller.

Do we have a competition for our weakest player of the day award. When weve won 3-0 and gone 6th in the prem wow. If you can't see how our players benefit from Norwood both as an outlet and a supplier you need to watch a different sport. If we lose him for any reason we will have problems.

what a strange post.

I was simply commenting in response to some people saying he was brilliant yesterday, and that I didn’t see it that way.

yes ofcourse I see the benifits of him, and I think I made it abundantly clear in my post that I think he’s an exceptional player. However,he misplaced/over hit quite a few passes yesterday which is why he was our weakest player on the day.

are you not getting enough attention in real life that you now fish for likes by arguing against a point that I didn’t even make? You’re a strange kind of grown up.

He looked head and shoulders above everybody in the middle of the park last season. But I honestly think the reason he looks so ordinary this term is because all the midfield (including the wingbacks) have collectively stepped up to the plate this season. I don’t really think he’s playing any worse, but the rest of the team are playing much much better.

There seems to be a bit of hesitant praise but I think he has been brilliant for us during this unbeaten spell we've put together recently.

Even if you discount "his f******g ping" he is a clever footballer - forever finding space off the ball to give his teammates an option.

Our CB's and WB's wouldn't be as effective without him.

THIS. It’s doing my head in.
We will revert next season... makes sense... 3-5-2 to settle in to PL and then 3-4-1-2 to dominate next season when we have squad depth, confidence at this level and when most teams have figured out how we play. We hit them with a new formation to bamboozle them all.

We will revert next season... makes sense... 3-5-2 to settle in to PL and then 3-4-1-2 to dominate next season when we have squad depth, confidence at this level and when most teams have figured out how we play. We hit them with a new formation to bamboozle them all.

I think the flatter 3 works better for us. Moose stretches the defence and leaves space for Lunny and Fleck to drive into and (hopefully) bag us a few goals. Arguably I think we’ve looked stronger and better this year and the new formation allows us to be more mobile IMHO.

There seems to be a bit of hesitant praise but I think he has been brilliant for us during this unbeaten spell we've put together recently.

Even if you discount "his f******g ping" he is a clever footballer - forever finding space off the ball to give his teammates an option.

Our CB's and WB's wouldn't be as effective without him.

He's one of the cleverest footballers we've ever had, IMO.

Interesting to note the comment about Leon Britton who I thought was going to shine at the Lane but we ended up totally wasting his time with the awful tactics we employed at the time - shame really.

Besic will be fine deputising for 1 or 2 games. And I’d play him instead of Norwood at city because I think his qualities will be better utilised.

Loved it yesterday when he nearly had his taken off by the ball. Collective gasp from crowd was tangible but he just shook it off like he'd sneezed. Grealish would have been out for a month. Great footballer.

And somehow people still don't understand...

Fair play, I wasn't aware of these stats. To my eyes he actually had another one of those games where he looked not quite up to it athletically & a little sloppy in possession. He offers so much threat from dead ball scenarios & those deep crosses he whips in from the right hand side, but 8 can't help but think it's still an area we need to strengthen to kick on to the next level.

Fair play, I wasn't aware of these stats. To my eyes he actually had another one of those games where he looked not quite up to it athletically & a little sloppy in possession. He offers so much threat from dead ball scenarios & those deep crosses he whips in from the right hand side, but 8 can't help but think it's still an area we need to strengthen to kick on to the next level.
You shudda gone to specsavers Morgs 🤓 UTB

Back
Top Bottom