Norwood and Fleck

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Unless we can get 2 decent midfielders for cheap in January looks like we’re stuck with them both until summer

Can't see us selling either of them, but loaning them out until their contracts end might be a good idea.
Sadly father time has caught up with both of them

If we can get players in then offload both but our squad is so thin I'd keep them for depth even tho both are no where near this level. At the end of the season no matter what league we're in I'd release both.

He's a liability, he gives the ball away frequently, he's the last person I'd want to 'see a game out '
Ditto fleck.

Both just are not good enough, league 1 quality at best now.

He literally gave the ball the away as soon as he come on in his cameo against Liverpool.

That said I do think Norwood is still decent at Championship level but up against someone else fighting for his place in midfield.

both can be useful squad players
coming on late in games to use their experience
Absolutely not, both have been superb servants for us,but now their lack of mobility & athleticism makes them both a liability at this level, they'll be on decent contracts too,that money could be better used,everything comes to an end

Norwood is brilliant at championship level and has heaps of experience gaining promotion which is where we will be and what we hope to do next season. Fleck is one of my favourite Wilder era players but he looks done, he looked done before his contract extension.

Absolutely not, both have been superb servants for us,but now their lack of mobility & athleticism makes them both a liability at this level, they'll be on decent contracts too,that money could be better used,everything comes to an end
Sensible comment & showing a bit of respect to two lads who have done their best for the club over the years.

Use one or both as a makeweight to bring in Cashin or Sibley from Derby.

It's ok to have the odd veteran as a squad player, filling in on occasions with not too much fuss. But ideally you'd like your back ups to be real competition for the shirt, and hopefully players for the future.

So Fleck, Norwood, Egan, Bash are players we should look to find replacements for in January. Thomas looks like a player we could also cope without, freeing up a a loan player, in a different position. Time also looks like running out for Coulibaly. That's six senior spots, which could give Wilder some room to manoeuvre, and build for the future, in January.
Sounds a bit harsh on some of them, but I agree with you. Norwood and Egan would be good enough for last ten minutes if needed, but we wouldn’t find a buyer for any of them.

Basham testemonial?

I wonder when the last time was that an SUFC squad had neither Norwood nor Fleck in it.

They can both be offloaded at the end of the season. Fleck in particular offered nothing last season so to keep him on for another season one level higher was absolutely baffling.

Norwood's been great for us but we can finally see now what Brighton and Fulham saw years ago in that he can get you to the top but can't keep you there.

They're both on the wane now and we need to keep on pushing the old guard down the pecking order or we'll go nowhere.

Of Wilder's past squad, the only ones I'd be disappointed to lose would be Baldock and McBurnie. We don't play the same way anymore and the likes of Fleck, Norwood, Egan, Basham, Osborn, Lowe, Robinson (while a committed, fierce competitor), Brewster and Wes could all leave at the end of the season and we be no worse off.

They can both be offloaded at the end of the season. Fleck in particular offered nothing last season so to keep him on for another season one level higher was absolutely baffling.

Norwood's been great for us but we can finally see now what Brighton and Fulham saw years ago in that he can get you to the top but can't keep you there.

They're both on the wane now and we need to keep on pushing the old guard down the pecking order or we'll go nowhere.

Of Wilder's past squad, the only ones I'd be disappointed to lose would be Baldock and McBurnie. We don't play the same way anymore and the likes of Fleck, Norwood, Egan, Basham, Osborn, Lowe, Robinson (while a committed, fierce competitor), Brewster and Wes could all leave at the end of the season and we be no worse off.
We'd be no worse off if Wes left? A very good Championship keeper with a great attitude who's mostly been good in the PL? Replacing that isn't free

Robinson has been our best player this season. Again, very difficult to replace

I wonder when the last time was that an SUFC squad had neither Norwood nor Fleck in it.
As far as I can tell since either Norwood or Fleck has at least made the bench for every single league game since the former joined. Fleck's consistency before that means (unless I've missed something) that the answer to your question is 20 February 2018: United 2 (Stearman, Lundstram) QPR 1 (Freeman).

As far as I can tell since either Norwood or Fleck has at least made the bench for every single league game since the former joined. Fleck's consistency before that means (unless I've missed something) that the answer to your question is 20 February 2018: United 2 (Stearman, Lundstram) QPR 1 (Freeman).

I was hoping for a good answer like this, rather than something embarrassingly recent that I'd overlooked.

As it is, I like it. First time in nearly 6 years then.

Use one or both as a makeweight to bring in Cashin or Sibley from Derby.
At this stage of their career they’d be mad to move on. They’d be asked to take a huge drop in wages.

I can’t see Derby, after their prior troubles, looking for high wage Premier League squad players well into their 30s.

Loan them to Rovrum or somewhere like Derby with hope they do ok and they'll get signed for next season.

At this stage of their career they’d be mad to move on. They’d be asked to take a huge drop in wages.

I can’t see Derby, after their prior troubles, looking for high wage Premier League squad players well into their 30s.
United would pay the difference in their contracts until the end of the season

Norwood has only missed 2 league matchday squads since we signed him (I think). 225/228 if you include Saturday.

Whether people like him or not, that's amazing consistency

Norwood has only missed 2 league matchday squads since we signed him (I think). 225/228 if you include Saturday.

Whether people like him or not, that's amazing consistency
I was thinking that when I was checking through Soccerbase. It's testament to his professionalism that he's always available, both to his manager and to his teammates.

Back
Top Bottom