Match Thread Northampton Town v Sheffield United - Pre-Season Friendly - 20/07/19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A good run out today. The gulf in class was obvious but Northampton offered enough to keep the defence and Moore on their toes.

Robinson looked lively and was always looking for the ball. Good performances from Fleck, JOC, Enda and (K) Freeman.

Changed from a flatter 3-5-2 in the first half to a more attacking 3-4-1-2 in the second.

Kept the ball well overall but there was a tendancy to overplay in and around the box.

Well, at least it proved if we didn't already know that we desperately need to get a couple of strikers.
Robinson and McG. playing as nominal strikers didn't work. Both played their natural roles, Robinson drifting out wide left and McG dropping deep and both played well, especially Robinson who will be a threat in Premiership playing like that, but it meant there was nobody in the box most of the time. Sharp made a difference when he came on, but we need more in the Premiership.
I think (hope) Lys Mousset would be good in that team, giving a bit of pace and directness and could work well with Robinson.

Anyone listen to Norwoods aftermatch interview,especially the mind games with the Cobblers goalie,bril 🤣

Stickers in the bogs - York-Luton- Gillingham-Mansfield Sheff Utd. Funny what you notice while pissing on your shoes,
Thought Fleck was by far the MOM today.

As you did ratings from Burton sitters, any equivalent you can offer from today’s game?

Fleck my MOM too. Everyone else very so-so except Robinson who looked dangerous and Sharp who made a difference. Luke Freeman also better than on Tuesday.

That verbal contract with Henderson is looking more and more ropey as time goes on!

Can I be in there with the first completely unfounded “Duffy’s already fallen out with Wilder” post. ;)

You rotter Botter! I wanted to be first with that! OK, you can have that one then. I bagsy "Wilder has lost the dressing room". And...I'll also have, "The job's too big for Wilder". There! That should tie things up nicely for the coming season.

There may be another reason why Wilder is playing the likes of some second string players in these games. He could just be wanting to have a look at them, to see how they are developing, and if they can exert themselves on opponents and make a strong claim for the starting 11. From what I read on here about Lunny in Portugal the other day, he looked like the dogs testicles. But, I've not read any further glowing reports about him versus Northampton yesterday. I heard a few reports from the game and it sounded like it was a sleepy affair, a typical pre-season friendly, told us nothing about the team or any individuals in it. I am so glad we didn't set up a beamback and pay to watch it.

OK only personal opinion so if you don't agree... Fuck off ;)
Moore 8 didn't have a lot to do but handling and organisation good.
Freeman 6 not as good as Burton, got a bollocking and hooked soon after being caught stupidly offside, would have him just in front of Baldock personally.
Stevens 6 hasn't looked the Stevens of last year yet passing and control a bit out at the moment.
Jagielka 7 still looks athletic and calm, no Billy big time, looks good to me.
Egan 7 handled their forwards well and kept Moore protected, Premier league centre half.
Oconnell 7 same as Egan, their forwards were massive but they were handled well.
Lundstram 6 sorry but I just don't get him, people raved about him in Portugal but I think they were comparing him to before. Poor man's monty in my opinion, hope Im wrong, it has been known.
Norwood 7 eased though the game with usual class and ability plus 2 excellent pens.
Fleck 9 by far the best player on the pitch, involved in everything, quick, sharp hungry and influential.
Robinson 7 lively and fast only played the first half, won a pen and scared them at the back.
Didzy 6 things didn't run for him today, not for lack of effort, always wants to be involved great player just one of those days.

Baldock 6 a few runs but still no end product.
Bryan 6 came on late and carried on with his improvement ,might get a player out of him yet.
Freeman L 8 looked the part ,has good control and showed plenty of effort and skill.
Clarke 4 touched the ball twice I think ,will upset a few this but I think hes done with us.
Sharp 7 showed the hunger and strength that we know Billy has ,the game was a bit of training bore by the time he came on.
Stearman 7 carried on the work of Egan and OConnell as did
Basham 7 really hope he can make the step up and play at the back ,between him and Jags don't know which I prefer. But I would prefer him to Lundstram if we need a bit of strength in midfield in an emergency.
Slater came on for a few minutes ,don't think he touched it.

Was very impressed with their goalkeeper Cornell ,the pens were top notch but he saved a few one on ones mainly from McGoldrick and was very strong and assured ,could be worth looking at.

Nice summer afternoon seeing people you only see in winter at a decent venue and back in time for Tramlines in town ,surreal seeing an 85 million pound footballer H casually walking up Division St with no drama. Only 2 football tops seen last night a full kit wanker pig who looked a real twat and a lass with a Bashambouer shirt on.

You can have Deadbat back next week to do it properly.

And its white.

Baldock 6 a few runs but still no end product.
Bryan 6 came on late and carried on with his improvement ,might get a player out of him yet.
Freeman L 8 looked the part ,has good control and showed plenty of effort and skill.
Clarke 4 touched the ball twice I think ,will upset a few this but I think hes done with us.
Sharp 7 showed the hunger and strength that we know Billy has ,the game was a bit of training bore by the time he came on.
Stearman 7 carried on the work of Egan and OConnell as did
Basham 7 really hope he can make the step up and play at the back ,between him and Jags don't know which I prefer. But I would prefer him to Lundstram if we need a bit of strength in midfield in an emergency.
Slater came on for a few minutes ,don't think he touched it.

Was very impressed with their goalkeeper Cornell ,the pens were top notch but he saved a few one on ones mainly from McGoldrick and was very strong and assured ,could be worth looking at.

Nice summer afternoon seeing people you only see in winter at a decent venue and back in time for Tramlines in town ,surreal seeing an 85 million pound footballer H casually walking up Division St with no drama. Only 2 football tops seen last night a full kit wanker pig who looked a real twat and a lass with a Bashambouer shirt on.

You can have Deadbat back next week to do it properly.

And its white.

Would strongly agree with all of the above, Leon came over to the side stand at the end of the game, just got the impression that he knew that was his last game in our colours, he was top notch with the young supporters.

Would strongly agree with all of the above, Leon came over to the side stand at the end of the game, just got the impression that he knew that was his last game in our colours, he was top notch with the young supporters.
You mean you agree with deadbat coming back next week 🤨

Did Jags try to get forward like Basham does?
No, if Saturday is anything to go by, presumably in some games Jags will play when we intend to 'sit in' and in others Basham, when we strive to be more positive. When he came on, he immediately offered his traditional offensive threat, whereas Jags hadn't done. Rotation will be tactical but as an aside will give both players valuable rest periods.

No, if Saturday is anything to go by, presumably in some games Jags will play when we intend to 'sit in' and in others Basham, when we strive to be more positive. When he came on, he immediately offered his traditional offensive threat, whereas Jags hadn't done. Rotation will be tactical but as an aside will give both players valuable rest periods.

Yes, agree with you on how they played, watched the game last night.

That verbal contract with Henderson is looking more and more ropey as time goes on!
Nothing against Moore, as he did well in League One, but even on Saturday, he didn't inspire confidence, one free kick in the second half beat him all ends and he was saved embarrassment by the woodwork. It's a real concern that none of the pre-season friendlies have involved Deano, especially with a new defender in the set-up. If we don't get him then we need someone else quickly. There have been some good signings this summer but without a Premier League goalkeeper, they will be wasted.

Back
Top Bottom