CONFIRMED Nigel Adkins is announced as new Sheffield United Manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He lives near me in Hampshire. I know the pub he goes in. What questions would you want to ask him if you could?
I have often thought of going up to him and saying "Thanks for signing Billy Sharp, he might not have come otherwise. It was not all your fault. There was a lot of baggage from previous managers.
But Conor Sammon? Dean Hammond? And why couldn't you see what Blades fans always wanted. A bit of steel, hard work with skill. Not passing out of the back with has been players".
Why didn't you bring in any permanent CB's in that close season when it was glaringly obvious that was where we were particularly weak.

I have to admit that when we appointed Adkins I was delighted and pleased we could get someone who appeared to be the best we could get at the time.

Despite losing 4-0 to Gillingham in the opening game, things looked much better after good wins at Swindon and Peterboro. But then those two home defeats to Bury and Colchester really brought it home that this was not going to turn out well.

Incredible this was only 5 years ago.

You seem to be suggesting it isn’t possible for deals to be arranged by managers ahead of them being publicly announced, when it’s not uncommon – though admittedly fairly rare that the details of that are spoken about publicly.
Where have I suggested that? Aren’t we on about giving Clough full responsibility for Sammon’s signing despite Clough being sacked well before Sammon actually signed?

Where have I suggested that? Aren’t we on about giving Clough full responsibility for Sammon’s signing despite Clough being sacked well before Sammon actually signed?

I thought that was what you were disagreeing with? I’m saying the sequence of events in this instance was 1. Clough arranged the signing, 2. Clough then got sacked, 3. the signing was announced later in the summer. This matches Clough’s public interest in the player, Mal Brannigan’s continued involvement in recruitment, and Adkins’s own comments after leaving the club. If you’re not disagreeing with that possible sequence, I’m not sure we’re actually disagreeing about anything? And in which case, apologies for dragging it out...

He lives near me in Hampshire. I know the pub he goes in. What questions would you want to ask him if you could?

I'd ask if I could buy him a pint and thank him for being a disaster who made it easy for the board to "move on".
If he'd have been even 10% better we'd have seen Charlton scoop up our now prize asset and God knows where we'd be.

Just as Don Givens penalty miss gave us a great season in Div4 and coming back stronger, so Atkins tomfoolery ended with us getting Wilder. Can't complain at that.

I have often thought of going up to him and saying "Thanks for signing Billy Sharp, he might not have come otherwise. It was not all your fault. There was a lot of baggage from previous managers.
But Conor Sammon? Dean Hammond? And why couldn't you see what Blades fans always wanted. A bit of steel, hard work with skill. Not passing out of the back with has been players".

Well before you do, make sure you’ve got a full pint, someone to fetch you some more and somewhere to sit, because I imagine that is going to be a very long evening for you 😴

I have to admit that when we appointed Adkins I was delighted and pleased we could get someone who appeared to be the best we could get at the time.

Despite losing 4-0 to Gillingham in the opening game, things looked much better after good wins at Swindon and Peterboro. But then those two home defeats to Bury and Colchester really brought it home that this was not going to turn out well.

Incredible this was only 5 years ago.

Ye Gods, that Gillingham game....

6 years ago we appointed my favourite muppet haha come so far since this guy

Back
Top Bottom