Next Seasons Players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

originaltrueblade

Reaction score
From this season’s regulars in the squad

Ramsdale
Bogle
Basham
O’Connell
Egan
McGoldrick
Burke
Fleck

Maybe

Baldock
Sharp (one last season)

Struggling with anyone else

what do you think?

I think next season for sure we will play with a 10, this should help McBurnie/Brewster. Lets not forget these lads score 1/2 games at Championship level so they should be a real threat, they are getting scraps at EPL level due the way we set up each week. This must be confidence sapping for a young striker.

Hopefully we can become the creative front foot side that we once was and we get back up at the first attempt.

Hard to know who will stay and who will go imho.

Keep nearly all the ones we want and build around them with decent replacements and a renewed strategy, and there's reason for optimism.

All ifs, buts, and maybes currently though.

We will be very lucky to keep Bogle, Egan, JOC

Noone is going to come in for JOC after a season out injured, not until January anyway, and that would depend on how successful his return was.

I think Egan will want to stay and try to get another promotion - he seems the type who will embrace the challenge, and he probably starts as Captain in 90% of games.

Bogle would be most likely to leave from that list, imo.

O think we will retain joc, a lot of clubs will be put off.by his recent injury, Bogle is the main worry, maybe that's why Chris keeps benching him, to hide him from the other clubs

There are a handful who we already know pretty much definitely will leave (Berge, Lundstram, Ampadu).

Getting rid of anyone else without a proven better replacement would just be plain stupid.

Apart from maybe Robinson and a striker, as there's already two players in those positions.

The problem is we always struggle to move deadwood on. There's six out of contract who will go, but the rest we'll be stuck with on decent wages.

Moore
Eastwood
Bryan
Jagielka
Rodwell
Lundstram

I’d like to see Berge stay, he’s quality and is about the only player in our current squad who can hang onto the ball when pressured.

I’d like to see Berge stay, he’s quality and is about the only player in our current squad who can hang onto the ball when pressured.
i would also like him to stay but theres no chance if a decent bid comes in he will be gone chris has already more or less said this we need some pace physicality and athleticism in midfield its going to be the most vital area of our summer recruitment

Here's what i'd do.

Green = Keep
Red = Sell/Release
Orange = Loan Out
Italics = Keep but worried someone will come in for them :rolleyes:

GK
Ramsdale
Verrips
Eastwood
Foderingham
Moore

Dewhurst

RWB
Bogle
Baldock

LWB

Stevens
Norrington-Davies
Lowe

CB
Egan
O'Connell

Basham
Jagielka

Bryan
Robinson

CM
Fleck
Berge

Norwood
Osborn
Coulibaly
Lundstram
Rodwell

Slater
Broadbent

McGoldrick
Freeman

CF
McBurnie

Sharp
Burke

Brewster
Mousset

Parkhouse
Smith

If we keep all the greens and italics, we're not far off for a Championship squad with only a few signings required.

GK - more than enough
Wing Backs - very strong
CB - Strong starters, could probably do with a strong Back-Up and we need to start looking at Basham's long-term replacement
CM - If we keep Fleck and Berge, we are still strong. Need a replacement for Lundstram - Swift will be off to the PL after the season he's having
#10 - Need a challenger for Didzy (Forest will take Freeman)
CF - Strong. With Didzy acting as the 5th striker, there's not many, if any CH teams with a set of strikers like that.

Young CBs:
Fry (Boro)
Clarke (Brighton) - would they sell?
Bielek (Derby)
Clarke-Salter (Chelsea) - would they sell?

CM / #10
Swift (Reading) - no chance now
Roberts (Man City) - loan
Ejaria / Olise (Both Reading) - probs both off to bigger things (or PL with Reading)
Sibley (Derby)
Hamer (Coventry)
Travis (Blackburn)
Rinomhota (Reading)
Garner (Man U) - Loan
Harper (WBA) - probs no chance as he may play next season
Massengo (Bristol City)

Here's what i'd do.

Green = Keep
Red = Sell/Release
Orange = Loan Out

GK
Ramsdale
Verrips
Eastwood
Foderingham
Moore

Dewhurst

RWB
Bogle
Baldock

LWB

Stevens
Norrington-Davies
Lowe

CB
Egan
O'Connell

Basham
Jagielka

Bryan
Robinson

CM
Fleck
Berge

Norwood
Osborn
Coulibaly
Lundstram
Rodwell

Slater
Broadbent

McGoldrick
Freeman

CF
McBurnie

Sharp
Burke

Brewster
Mousset

Parkhouse
Smith

If we keep all the greens and italics, we're not far off for a Championship squad with only a few signings required.

GK - more than enough
Wing Backs - very strong
CB - Strong starters, could probably do with a strong Back-Up and we need to start looking at Basham's long-term replacement
CM - If we keep Fleck and Berge, we are still strong. Need a replacement for Lundstram - Swift will be off to the PL after the season he's having
CF - Strong. With Didzy acting as the 5th striker, there's not many, if any CH teams with a set of strikers like that.

Young CBs:
Fry (Boro)
Bielek (Derby)

CM / #10
Ejaria / Olise (Both Reading) - probs both off to bigger things (or PL with Reading)
Sibley (Derby)
Hamer (Coventry)
Travis (Blackburn)
Rinomhota (Reading)
Garner (Man U) - Loan
Massengo (Bristol City)
Agree with all these. Maybe with the exception of Jags - would like him to stay at the club though as a coach.

It’s the Tyler Durden thing to do
Parkhouse already left the club - permanently - went to Derry

Slater is out of contract this summer and he has not been a regular at Hull so not sure we would offer him another deal.

Ditto for Smith who has not started much at all for Swindon recent times.

Parkhouse already left the club - permanently - went to Derry

Slater is out of contract this summer and he has not been a regular at Hull so not sure we would offer him another deal.

Ditto for Smith who has not started much at all for Swindon recent times.
Eastwood will go too, 24 and outta contract.

As for the list - good to discuss things and all about opinions. Think after such a bad and losing season keeping as many as above would not advantageous - we need a natural turnover and freshening up and need to move on half a dozen senior players for me in addition to the ones we expect to move on.

My thoughts....(agree with most but a few points of difference)

GK- Not sure I would keep any of the rest outside Ramsdale if we could move them on - non are viable competition who we would feel comfortable starting games. Maybe Dewhurst remains as a younger keeper but Eastwood is out of contract as is Moore.

Not sure who would sign Verrips (maybe he signs for the club he is on loan with) or Foderingham but if you could move them all on and get one decent backup.

RB - Agree- keep both. Think more chance of teams looking at Bogle than Baldock.

LB - I think Stevens should be moved on - he has been awful for over a year and we should go with Norrington Davies and Lowe. Whether we could find a Champ team to take Enda (be on decent wages) not sure?

CB - You hope all 3 remain (worry Jack might go and maybe Egan). Jagielka is not going to stay for me on a hugely reduced wage - as we cannot offer him what he has been getting - I expect him to pack up. He would struggle hugely with pace and number of games at Championship. We need to find younger players. Bryan no issue in having another year - he has been ok. Never thought I would say that but no issue if he is not kept. Rodwell to go and Robinson also if you find a club to take him but not sure he is even Champ level - could not get in the Forest team.

CM - Norwood for me his legs have gone. I know he was never quick but he simply cannot keep up anymore. He did well at Champ level before but I am concerned he has declined quite quickly and I would look for a different option here. Berge is the one I would move on as long as we get our money back. Not sure he would suit the Champ - talented as he is - in terms of the physicality/scrappiness. Coulibaly cannot come over can he yet (work permit?). Might be wrong on that. Not sure Fleck has done enough for any Prem side to sign him so think we are safe there.

#10 - Not sure I am concerned anyone is coming for Freeman? I do not think Forest will sign him. I am not sure unless he gets fit and in shape he will be in Wilder's plans. I would see if any teams would take him for a few million but worry we would even get that as he has barely played in two seasons.

CF - Agree. Mousset to go. I would not be concerned if we sell McBurnie or Brewster if say a Swansea or someone came in for either. May sound soon but if Wilder is persisting with the way we play - not sure either fits at all?

Last edited:
Here's what i'd do.

Green = Keep
Red = Sell/Release
Orange = Loan Out

GK
Ramsdale
Verrips
Eastwood
Foderingham
Moore

Dewhurst

RWB
Bogle
Baldock

LWB

Stevens
Norrington-Davies
Lowe

CB
Egan
O'Connell

Basham
Jagielka

Bryan
Robinson

CM
Fleck
Berge

Norwood
Osborn
Coulibaly
Lundstram
Rodwell

Slater
Broadbent

McGoldrick
Freeman

CF
McBurnie

Sharp
Burke

Brewster
Mousset

Parkhouse
Smith

GK - more than enough
Wing Backs - very strong

Young CBs:
Fry (Boro)
Bielek (Derby)

CM / #10
Sibley (Derby)
Hamer (Coventry)
Travis (Blackburn)
Rinomhota (Reading)
Garner (Man U) - Loan
Massengo (Bristol City)

To Visualise...

If we can keep all players:
lineup.png

If we lost JOC, Fleck, Egan and Berge:

lineup 2.png

Last edited:
Agree with all these. Maybe with the exception of Jags - would like him to stay at the club though as a coach.
Yeah agree, we obviously need him replacing, but I've seen enough this season and last to think he's more than capable as understudy in the Championship.

I am not sure he has essentially the same team/squad as has been losing every week.

Granted it is a lower level but you need a natural turnover to freshen things up.

I would be looking at a minimum of 2 or 3 starters (2 midfielders at least and gulp another striker - with pace and movement who can finish - if we could move Mousset and or McBurnie on) and at least 7 or 8 total to be incoming with a similar number going out.

It is rare teams just start new seasons with similar line up/squad after such a bad season.

One the RWB's will go. Can't see both staying and potentially being back up in the Championship. They have shown they are capable of competing in the top flight and will be on low wages compared to most Premier League players before the reduction due to relegation.

I think Brewster/ his agent will look for a move away, probably on loan as we aren't getting our money back anytime soon.

I am not sure he has essentially the same team/squad as has been losing every week.

Granted it is a lower level but you need a natural turnover to freshen things up.

I would be looking at a minimum of 2 or 3 starters (2 midfielders at least and gulp another striker - with pace and movement who can finish - if we could move Mousset and or McBurnie on) and at least 7 or 8 total to be incoming with a similar number going out.

It is rare teams just start new seasons with similar line up/squad after such a bad season.

I know what you're saying, but I disagree. This season for me is a total anomoly. A full season behind closed doors has hurt us more than any other PL team.

The freshening up for me is comparing it to the last time we played in the Championship. I have put Bogle in as 1st choice RWB and would probably be happy with RND as 1st choice LWB (based only on reports from Luton).

Berge would be easily in the top 10 (maybe 5) central midfielders in the league. Then we have Brewster and McBurnie, 10 goals in 20 games and 22 in 43 respectively in their previous championship seasons.

The 3x CBs are still absolute beasts at Championship level.

We've seen in the FA Cup games that we can still control the possession and tempo of the game. We will do this more often than not next season, and the more we see of the ball, the more chances we will create, the more confidence we will get infront of goal and the more goals we will score.

McBurnie for me is the worry. Not because he's a poor player, because we seem to lump it upfield when he's on the pitch - this ISN'T his game, or HIS FAULT. This is down to Wilder.

He likes to link up the play. Heading is part of McBurnie's game, but that's attacking crosses, not flicking on balls for others, he's so much more than that. If Wilder continues to use McBurnie like this, we might aswell sell him on, which would be a poor decision for me.

Here are his 24 Swansea goals (7 were headers).

I know what you're saying, but I disagree. This season for me is a total anomoly. A full season behind closed doors has hurt us more than any other PL team.

The freshening up for me is comparing it to the last time we played in the Championship. I have put Bogle in as 1st choice RWB and would probably be happy with RND as 1st choice LWB (based only on reports from Luton).

Berge would be easily in the top 10 (maybe 5) central midfielders in the league. Then we have Brewster and McBurnie, 10 goals in 20 games and 22 in 43 respectively in their previous championship seasons.

The 3x CBs are still absolute beasts at Championship level.

We've seen in the FA Cup games that we can still control the possession and tempo of the game. We will do this more often than not next season, and the more we see of the ball, the more chances we will create, the more confidence we will get infront of goal and the more goals we will score.

McBurnie for me is the worry. Not because he's a poor player, because we seem to lump it upfield when he's on the pitch - this ISN'T his game, or HIS FAULT. This is down to Wilder.

He likes to link up the play. Heading is part of McBurnie's game, but that's attacking crosses, not flicking on balls for others, he's so much more than that. If Wilder continues to use McBurnie like this, we might aswell sell him on, which would be a poor decision for me.

Here are his 24 Swansea goals (7 were headers).

Wilder has stated clearly we are not going to change the way we play though. We do not get crosses in or the ball in the box enough and even at Champ level it sounds like we will have the same approach.

I am not sure where McBurnie or Brewster fits if he is playing the same way.

I think a lot are assuming they will score goals in the Champ as they did before - these were confident and in form then - they have scored 1 goal between them this season. ONE goal. Maybe the drop in level will see them hit the ground running but the fundamental way we play really concerns me with those two.

We will have to adapt how we play for them to be anywhere near to being as prolific as they were before for me. They will score more goals (cannot score less really!) as you say we will have more ball and chances but do not see them ripping things up like everyone else assumes and not convinced as a partnership it works - neither are that mobile, quick, strong or runners really. You have to have a player who can hold it up (even more so at the level below) or link play, run the channels etc.

Hope I am wrong but I think if you asked most Blades their best two to start in August many would say Sharp and McGoldrick still (granted he may play deeper) which is not what would expect when you have spent 40 million on two strikers that are supposed to be their successors (still may do that but not seen much evidence so far to suggest they are going to be the strike partnership of our future)

Nobody will be in for a player like JOC who has been out an entire season. Too risky. Or if they do they won't offer to pay his real value.

Nobody will be in for a player like JOC who has been out an entire season. Too risky. Or if they do they won't offer to pay his real value.

Tyrone Mings got a move after his big injury. Not likely but not possible IMHO

Especially considering our collapse has been attributed to JOC's loss which makes him look all the better player!

Back
Top Bottom