Roy's View From... Newcastle Fans Views On Ciaran Clark

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The first sets of comments say he is a professional who just wasn't able to make it to their first team, but was real player in championship level.
We had some awful conceded goals last season (some unexplainable last minute set backs, some individual brain farts) when I thought that some sunday league defenders would had done better.

If we can get more reliable and professional defence I'm just happier and more confident about the coming season.

A few reflections:

Have Geordies always been a bit above their station, or is this their new found riches?

This made me laugh no end: “Clark would be a great choice for a newly promoted team looking to go straight back down.”

...and as a few have said, this guy gets it! 😂 “In a parallel universe nobody would bat an eye at him being mid-table in League 1 playing for Sheff Wed or Ipswich.”

I think they've always been a bit above their station to be honest.

Big club, yes I'd say so. Most things in place to have at least won something since dinosaurs walked the earth.

But they haven't and you can't just blame Ashley for that.

I think they've always been a bit above their station to be honest.

Big club, yes I'd say so. Most things in place to have at least won something since dinosaurs walked the earth.

But they haven't and you can't just blame Ashley for that.
On the big club status ultimately they are a 1 city football club with a big catchment area. In Newcastle alone its over 800,000 population, the only other thing that gets anywhere near is 1 of 2 Premiership Rugby clubs in the North of England (Newcastle and Sale) and I think Newcastle ground capacity is in the region of 15,000. With no North East competition in the top flight for a while and even that is 15 miles away, you should expect big attendances and now the money is there the international profile goes up, the next thing is for ticket prices to increase. Although it would be great to have unlimited back pockets, the board at Newcastle won't be bothered if they are selling 50odd thousand to locals, their preference like at City and others will be to cash in whilst they can.

´hes got the championship experience we need
might be not fast enough now for top prem attackers
but he wont be up against the cream just the semi skilled milk

My daughter has Newcastle season tickets and lives in London, so i'm a reasonably regular witness of Cairan's performances.

He's no longer a Premier league standard player so a step down will be good for him. Needs strong minded players around him because despite his age and experience he's no leader.

He doesn't seem to be the brightest either and Howe's relatively complex tactics ask a lot players in that respect. Interesting that his first interview focused on our style of play and the coaching team.

From what I've seen I'm content with the signing so long as; we understand his limitations, give him a job he can do and aren't expecting to build things around him.

On the big club status ultimately they are a 1 city football club with a big catchment area. In Newcastle alone its over 800,000 population, the only other thing that gets anywhere near is 1 of 2 Premiership Rugby clubs in the North of England (Newcastle and Sale) and I think Newcastle ground capacity is in the region of 15,000. With no North East competition in the top flight for a while and even that is 15 miles away, you should expect big attendances and now the money is there the international profile goes up, the next thing is for ticket prices to increase. Although it would be great to have unlimited back pockets, the board at Newcastle won't be bothered if they are selling 50odd thousand to locals, their preference like at City and others will be to cash in whilst they can.

Plus, the only club in Northumberland to the Scottish border. Huge catchment area

This is one of the first I've read where even the complimentary ones say he's shite. A left sided centre half who's open to the odd calamity, aye, we need one of those. I genuinely think he'll be on the bench though.

My daughter has Newcastle season tickets and lives in London, so i'm a reasonably regular witness of Cairan's performances.

He's no longer a Premier league standard player so a step down will be good for him. Needs strong minded players around him because despite his age and experience he's no leader.

He doesn't seem to be the brightest either and Howe's relatively complex tactics ask a lot players in that respect. Interesting that his first interview focused on our style of play and the coaching team.

From what I've seen I'm content with the signing so long as; we understand his limitations, give him a job he can do and aren't expecting to build things around him.

Interesting comments. It's easy to assume given his age, experience and playing position that he's naturally going to be a leader.
But, having watched his interview, he didn't strike me as a fella with those sorts of qualities.
He didn't come across as particularly authoritative or confident. I found it really surprising that he hadn't spoken to John Egan ahead of moving here.
I'm aware that it's easy to read too much into things, but nonetheless ...

We place quite a lot of responsibility on our centre halves, in terms of asking them to get forward and join in our attacks, but also to sit in and create a 4 when the other side advances.
Would you expect Clark to (1) be capable of playing like that and (2) to get up to speed with it tactically ?

Heckingbottom wouldn’t have signed him if he didn’t think he was the right man for the job, he’s played a lot of games in the prem for an often relegation battling side, he’s coming to a team that will be expected to dominate most games against lesser players, personally think he’ll be fine.

Interesting comments. It's easy to assume given his age, experience and playing position that he's naturally going to be a leader.
But, having watched his interview, he didn't strike me as a fella with those sorts of qualities.
He didn't come across as particularly authoritative or confident. I found it really surprising that he hadn't spoken to John Egan ahead of moving here.
I'm aware that it's easy to read too much into things, but nonetheless ...

We place quite a lot of responsibility on our centre halves, in terms of asking them to get forward and join in our attacks, but also to sit in and create a 4 when the other side advances.
Would you expect Clark to (1) be capable of playing like that and (2) to get up to speed with it tactically ?
I'd expect him to be capable, his fitness and basic ability isn't in doubt.

My worry would be balls going over him and Egan's heads. Our keeper needs to be vocal and commanding.

Clark's strengths and weakness is evident to anyone watching the last couple of seasons videos. I've go no reason to worry about the thoroughness of our assessment but, given that this is Heckingbottom's first full window, no reason to be especially confident either.

Back
Top Bottom