Newcastle and Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Newcastle paid £40 million for Joelinton.
Liverpool paid £36 million for Salah.

The amount paid by a club should not reflect on the respective players performances IMO. Berge is very clearly, a very talented footballer & is a player (providing he’s happy to stick around) a player I’d like us to build a team around.
Build a team around ? Are you on drugs ? In case you haven't heard , we have no money to buy players of the quality to fit well alongside Berge.
We are skint so we have to revert to sheer guts + intense application to the job in hand.
Which is why most of our "grown lazy on PL wages" mob needs booting out

He's got talent although we haven't seen him do this enough.

I've said this before though and got shot down but he's basically never been able to get a proper run in the side, certainly not a settled side.
When he first joined he was fighting it out with Lundstram for the shirt, then covid hit and lockdowns.
Came back reasonably well in lockdown to end that season.

Season after was arguably our better midfielders, although not sure that said a massive amount last season. Pulled up injury vs. Man Utd pretty much out for season.

This season started the season under our new manager, got injured what less than 10 games in? Just come back again.
You’ve been shot down because it’s untrue. He played 27 games in a row at the start of his career for us.

Look
Good players don't get along here,
Never have, never will

He might not be Lionel Messi, but he'll move somewhere else and automatically improve, as soon as he's out of the clutches of club retard.

He's too quiet to play for us, he doesn't get stuck in in a 1970's sort of way, so therefore he's crap
Were you actually there in the early 1970s when the likes of Currie , Woodward , Colquhoun & Hockey & Badge , in fact my whole team of heroes , were getting "stuck in" as you so depracatingly put it ?
In case you hadn't been , TC had more of everything , skill , strength , aggression , passion , in his little finger than Berge has in his entire 6'5" powderpuff frame

41159-zoom.jpg
Were you actually there in the early 1970s when the likes of Currie , Woodward , Colquhoun & Hockey & Badge , in fact my whole team of heroes , were getting "stuck in" as you so depracatingly put it ?
In case you hadn't been , TC had more of everything , skill , strength , aggression , passion , in his little finger than Berge has in his entire 6'5" powderpuff frame

The original 'Beard To Be Feared'

This issue here is the players intrinsic value is always set by the selling club & the total price to be paid for any player will be determined as such.

We wanted him because the management team believed he would improve our midfield. Genk set a monetary value that we’d need to pay to obtain his services. How much that is, isn’t a determining value as to how well Berge should perform. The price a club pays for a player is quite literally how much the selling club want to release a player from his contract. Nothing else.
The price paid is indeed how much the selling club require to part with the player (absent a minimum fee release clause and/or fire-sale etc), but I would posit that it is generally also an indicator as to how well a player should be expected to perform. The value of an asset is also informed by its market price - in football, this usually means that the better players are more expensive than the lesser ones - whether the player is deemed only to be better vis-a-vis their team-mates or opposition players. There are anomalies to this of course (e.g. the premium for home-grown players, flash-in-the-pan form etc) but in my experience of watching football the higher the value, the higher the ability expected.

The price paid is indeed how much the selling club require to part with the player (absent a minimum fee release clause and/or fire-sale etc), but I would posit that it is generally also an indicator as to how well a player should be expected to perform. The value of an asset is also informed by its market price - in football, this usually means that the better players are more expensive than the lesser ones - whether the player is deemed only to be better vis-a-vis their team-mates or opposition players. There are anomalies to this of course (e.g. the premium for home-grown players, flash-in-the-pan form etc) but in my experience of watching football the higher the value, the higher the ability expected.
We seem to be an anomaly. We tend to pay far more for the lesser players...(Mc)Burnie, Burke, Berge, Brewster

This issue here is the players intrinsic value is always set by the selling club & the total price to be paid for any player will be determined as such.

We wanted him because the management team believed he would improve our midfield. Genk set a monetary value that we’d need to pay to obtain his services. How much that is, isn’t a determining value as to how well Berge should perform. The price a club pays for a player is quite literally how much the selling club want to release a player from his contract. Nothing else.
Utter tosh.

Build a team around ? Are you on drugs ? In case you haven't heard , we have no money to buy players of the quality to fit well alongside Berge.
We are skint so we have to revert to sheer guts + intense application to the job in hand.
Which is why most of our "grown lazy on PL wages" mob needs booting out
I agree we cannot buy players at the same cost as Berge, but where is the clear evidence that we are “skint” ?
It seems to have moved from rumour to fact on this forum without any tangible evidence.

I agree we cannot buy players at the same cost as Berge, but where is the clear evidence that we are “skint” ?
It seems to have moved from rumour to fact on this forum without any tangible evidence.
How many permanent signings did we make in the last window ?
After raising money from Ramsdale + being in DIRE NEED of a physically dominant CB.
Yet we end up helping Liverpool out of a jam by taking powderpuff Davies on loan.
I mean , what more evidence do you need other than our lack of refreshing& rebalancing the squad.
Did you see that feckin capitulation of a press conference when Hecky was appointed ? They might as well have said
"We're all fucking off into the shadows and leaving Bettis & Hecky to preside over the cost-cutting - we're not even going to leave you with the owner's son-in-law or some Yankee lawyer as a token Chairman in Sheffield - so bye for now"

I think it's a safe assumption to make based on the last two transfer windows and the odd sound bite from PA.

After raising money from Ramsdale + being in DIRE NEED of a physically dominant CB.
Yet we end up helping Liverpool out of a jam by taking powderpuff Davies on loan.
I mean , what more evidence do you need other than our lack of refreshing& rebalancing the squad.
Did you see that feckin capitulation of a press conference when Hecky was appointed ? They might as well have said
"We're all fucking off into the shadows and leaving Bettis & Hecky to preside over the cost-cutting - we're not even going to leave you with the owner's son-in-law or some Yankee lawyer as a token Chairman in Sheffield - so bye for now"

to be fair at least they were honest.

I was there and to compare the game then with now is plain romantic

The clue was when Bettis was asked at the press conference whether all the blather meant there would be no money to spend this transfer window and he said that we’d signed Ryan Brewster.

I took this as evidence we are skint.

The clue was when Bettis was asked at the press conference whether all the blather meant there would be no money to spend this transfer window and he said that we’d signed Ryan Brewster.

There has been less than 5 transfer windows in our history where we have 'pushed the boat out' so I just always assume we have fuck all money.

How long does Berge have left on his deal? It's plain that he doesn't want to be here, I just hope he doesn't walk on a free like I imagine McBurnie eventually will.

It's sad, because he's talented, but the lad doesn't seem to have it within himself to push, be aggressive and want to achieve.

Football & football players is/are notoriously difficult to predict, consider the following examples;

1. Mo Saleh & Kevin de Bruyne both bought by Chelsea both flopped, Saleh now being touted for world player of the year, KDB an outstanding & integral part of the English champions elect.

2. Ben Brereton Diaz - as already commented on in an earlier post.

3.Paul Coutts - I for one labelled him a wage thief under Clough / Adkins, but then Wilder got hold of him, he may, had it not been for Sordell, been an outstanding midfield player in the Premiership - possibly.

Now let’s consider Mcburnie & Berge, both disappointing flops - so far, but who’s to say what may happen?
Yeah, but these are exceptions to the rule. Indeed these cases are as rare as rocking horse shit. To put this into some sort of perspective, I had trials at Wednesday, Arsenal (where Pat Rice nicked my shin pads), and West Brom in 1973/74, hoping to become the next Eddie Colquhoun (I know, I know .... aim low). Nowt came of them. However, at the age of 63, I'm still hoping my talent may at last be recognised. And I'm pretty sure I could still beat Berge to a header.....

Wasn't the story at the time that Wilder had effectively convinced the board to authorise Brewster's purchase outside the budget for the 20/21 season? As in he'd spent the £20m or so signing Ramsdale, Bogle and Lowe so we gambled money we didn't have on Brewster as 'the last piece of the puzzle'.

If so...well done, Chris. Phenomenal work "spunkin' munneh" we didn't have.

How long does Berge have left on his deal? It's plain that he doesn't want to be here, I just hope he doesn't walk on a free like I imagine McBurnie eventually will.

It's sad, because he's talented, but the lad doesn't seem to have it within himself to push, be aggressive and want to achieve.
Summer 2024 his contract expires. McBurnie's expires 2023

Look
Good players don't get along here,
Never have, never will

He might not be Lionel Messi, but he'll move somewhere else and automatically improve, as soon as he's out of the clutches of club retard.

He's too quiet to play for us, he doesn't get stuck in in a 1970's sort of way, so therefore he's crap
Yep, you've had numerous bites at it, but the same nonsense comes out.

Notice that the footballing world don't seem to spot what you can, hence him still being here.

Newcastle paid £40 million for Joelinton.
Liverpool paid £36 million for Salah.

The amount paid by a club should not reflect on the respective players performances IMO. Berge is very clearly, a very talented footballer & is a player (providing he’s happy to stick around) a player I’d like us to build a team around.

"Berge is very clearly, a very talented footballer" - sorry, but it really isn't that clear

And I don't know where you go with a statement that the amount you paid should not be reelected in the performance - It's nothing short of bizarre. You'd conclude that Manchester United should not be be expected to outperform Shrewsbury If you follow that through,

Yeah, but these are exceptions to the rule. Indeed these cases are as rare as rocking horse shit. To put this into some sort of perspective, I had trials at Wednesday, Arsenal (where Pat Rice nicked my shin pads), and West Brom in 1973/74, hoping to become the next Eddie Colquhoun (I know, I know .... aim low). Nowt came of them. However, at the age of 63, I'm still hoping my talent may at last be recognised. And I'm pretty sure I could still beat Berge to a header.....
And I've got 2 bad knees but I'll still beat him in 100 yard dash.........to bar.

I give you Billy Sharp, took him 3 attempts with us before it clicked, plenty more too.

Yep, you've had numerous bites at it, but the same nonsense comes out.

Notice that the footballing world don't seem to spot what you can, hence him still being here.

I really haven't a clue what you're saying
I keep saying HE ISN'T DOING THE BUSINESS
And you keep confirming it

Those are all your interpretations of what was said and what didn’t happen.
You may be correct, but I still see no evidence that we have no money.
I don’t see this window as being one in which we would sensibly spend money when the immediate future is unclear. However if we have not brought in quality players, at whatever cost, by early July then I may well make the same assumptions that you have at present.

I took that as evidence that the budget for the then financial year had been spent. That is a long way from being skint and no accurate forecast of the budget for June/July.

Back
Top Bottom