New keeper is shit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Granted Wes has played behind a sieve like defence but he has been shocking, Grbic is an instant upgrade, just because he isn't Wes Foderingham! He should never have started the season, it was one of Hecky's biggest bollocks dropped in the summer.....

Seriously though, on Grbic it is obviously still early days so the jury is still out but he showed enough against Wolves with his footwork and distribution that when he settles he should be a much better no1. All the comparisons to Olsen who was poor at Championship level are just unfair at this stage.

And I don't for one second buy into all of this "he deserved a chance" at the Premier League bollocks.....why....? The moment sentiment comes into football the moment you start making mistakes, and Wes has been a huge one.

If we are going along those lines Gary Madine would have played for us in the Premier League...

He has good distribution ( we will ignore the poor kick to get the ball out of play though )

I'd like to see what his shot stopping is like.

Looked a lot more assured on Sunday. By no means perfect but hopefully he's settling down a bit now. Possibly needs to learn how to be a bit more commanding in certain situations but I'm sure they'll be working on that with him.

For me The jury's out until he has played a few games consecutively and I/we are better placed to make our own judgements!.
IMO, on Sunday he looked better than his '7 goals in a game & a half baptism', admittedly not difficult!.
Maybe having been able to find his feet, train with and get acquainted with the squad and his new surroundings etc!, he's a little more 'settled' and we start to see the best of him. I hope so, GLTTL

That said, if he ships 10 against arsenal on Monday he's gerrin' it both barrels+!!! 😉😆😆😆

Granted Wes has played behind a sieve like defence but he has been shocking, Grbic is an instant upgrade, just because he isn't Wes Foderingham! He should never have started the season, it was one of Hecky's biggest bollocks dropped in the summer.....

Seriously though, on Grbic it is obviously still early days so the jury is still out but he showed enough against Wolves with his footwork and distribution that when he settles he should be a much better no1. All the comparisons to Olsen who was poor at Championship level are just unfair at this stage.
Wes has made some shocking mistakes but overall he's done OK. The way people talk about him, he's cost United 10 or 15 points this season. Just not even close to being true.

Ideally you'd like a mid-table or above PL level keeper. Wes isn't that. Maybe Grbic becomes that but I feel comfortable in saying he isn't there currently. If I had to take a bet, starting Grbic over Wes in the rest of the games will be a slight net negative this season but will give him a better chance of being a better keeper next season

I suspect Hecky didn't sign another keeper because we had much more pressing concerns to the team and Hecky's budget was so small that he had to focus on other areas. Not that other areas were competent either but id argue that goalkeeper was actually one of our stronger areas which does say a lot I know.

I suspect Hecky didn't sign another keeper because we had much more pressing concerns to the team and Hecky's budget was so small that he had to focus on other areas. Not that other areas were competent either but id argue that goalkeeper was actually one of our stronger areas which does say a lot I know.

Understand but I would argue keeping them out was way more important than putting them in, (goals that is), after all it worked the first season under Wilder where we conceded fewer goals than Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea and only 6 more than Champions Liverpool.....

63 goals conceded in the league so far this season by Foderingham and his colleagues in the back 4/5 says whatever Hecky was trying to achieve with recruitment he got it completely and horribly wrong!

Understand but I would argue keeping them out was way more important than putting them in, (goals that is), after all it worked the first season under Wilder where we conceded fewer goals than Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea and only 6 more than Champions Liverpool.....

63 goals conceded in the league so far this season by Foderingham and his colleagues in the back 4/5 says whatever Hecky was trying to achieve with recruitment he got it completely and horribly wrong!
I know Wes had made some errors, maybe 4/5 goals this season have been directly due to his errors but we've conceded 63 goals and most are due to good attacking play from superb opposition combined with frequent non existent marking!

I know Wes had made some errors, maybe 4/5 goals this season have been directly due to his errors but we've conceded 63 goals and most are due to good attacking play from superb opposition combined with frequent non existent marking!

I get that but his overall presence, (or lack of), communication, (or lack of), distribution, (or lack of) and confidence he gives to team mates, (or lack of) contributes to his direct responsibility for 4/5 goals massively...

I agree, I was in the camp of sign retain Wes for this year, and sign a better keeper in the summer if we stay up.

It was a no win situation to be honest. I think a good GK breeds confidence in the rest of the team (think of the uplift of Moore Vs George Long, and Henderson Vs Blackman), but there were bigger fires in almost every position that needed resolving.

I agree, I was in the camp of sign retain Wes for this year, and sign a better keeper in the summer if we stay up.

It was a no win situation to be honest. I think a good GK breeds confidence in the rest of the team (think of the uplift of Moore Vs George Long, and Henderson Vs Blackman), but there were bigger fires in almost every position that needed resolving.
The fires burn on !!

I get that but his overall presence, (or lack of), communication, (or lack of), distribution, (or lack of) and confidence he gives to team mates, (or lack of) contributes to his direct responsibility for 4/5 goals massively...
I don't sit in the front rows of the kop to hear how vocal Wes is, he doesn't seem shy to me. He played at Rangers as a regular for three years, that's not for the weak. Yes I appreciate what you're saying on distribution but our defence has been the main issue, I don't blame Wes for that, he's got enough on his plate just keeping, the defence needs to mark better, it's been abysmal.

Not just the defence in fairness, Hamer doesn't track his man from midfield and that's cost us multiple goals.

You could be right on confidence from the defence in Wes but they've got to do their jobs,. There's the inability to stop a cross from our wing backs, only Baldock does that to any great extent. Larouci is defensively dire, that was a position every man and his did knew we needed to sign someone quality, not rely on Lowe and Larouci, dear me.

We did need another keeper for competition, you could argue I'm agreeing with you there but we needed some quality in defence, midfield abd up top more. The lack of forward signings has been a major problem too. McBurnie has proven to be injury prone yet we signed no one of a similar ilk, Osula has had to play and he's not ready. There's just so many holes in this side but back in the championship we will be strong again and we've got done very good academy players coming in.

I don't sit in the front rows of the kop to hear how vocal Wes is, he doesn't seem shy to me. He played at Rangers as a regular for three years, that's not for the weak. Yes I appreciate what you're saying on distribution but our defence has been the main issue, I don't blame Wes for that, he's got enough on his plate just keeping, the defence needs to mark better, it's been abysmal.

Not just the defence in fairness, Hamer doesn't track his man from midfield and that's cost us multiple goals.

You could be right on confidence from the defence in Wes but they've got to do their jobs,. There's the inability to stop a cross from our wing backs, only Baldock does that to any great extent. Larouci is defensively dire, that was a position every man and his did knew we needed to sign someone quality, not rely on Lowe and Larouci, dear me.

We did need another keeper for competition, you could argue I'm agreeing with you there but we needed some quality in defence, midfield abd up top more. The lack of forward signings has been a major problem too. McBurnie has proven to be injury prone yet we signed no one of a similar ilk, Osula has had to play and he's not ready. There's just so many holes in this side but back in the championship we will be strong again and we've got done very good academy players coming in.

Some very valid points there.

However in the modern game a GK is part of a cohesive defensive unit, they work together unlike our unit who do the complete opposite.

Yes it's easy to single out Wes but it has been widely accepted by most on here that he was never Prem quality and a replacement should have been sought in the summer.

A poor GK coupled with a poor defence has been our downfall....obviously!

And coming from a place full of Rangers fans he was bobbins up there as well.

Be interesting to see how many shots he's faced compared to Alison, id imagine his shots to errors ratio is better and I imagine he had to make way more saves
Foderingham: faced 165 shots on target, saved 106, conceded 63 (59 ex OGs). Save 63.6%; PSxGA* is 57.5 so he's 1.5 adverse.
Alisson: faced 73 shots on target, saved 55, conceded 18 (17 ex OGs). Saves 75.3%; PSxGA 18.9 so he's 0.9 better.

Select others:
Trafford: 159 shots on target, saved 107. conceded 58 (2 OGs). Save 66.7%; PSxGA 52.7 so 3.3 adverse
Kaminsky: 146 shots on target 96 saves, conceded 51 (1 OG). Save 66.4%, PSxGA 52.1 so 2.1 favourable
Flekken: 126 shots on target, 80 saves, conceded 46 (0 OGs). Save 64.3%, PSxGA 39.3 so 6.7 adverse

*all numbers except conceded exclude own goals (Foderingham 4, Alisson 1, Trafford 2, Kaminsky 1, Flekken 0)

Brentford need a new keeper. Kaminsky is keeping Luton in games but from memory his numbers have slipped recently. Vicario of Spurs and Dubravka of Newcastle are the best keepers statistically (0.25 fewer goals conceded vs expected each game), followed by Martinez (0.20) and Sá (0.19). Matt Turner is the worst keeper in the division by that stat (-0.35 more conceded per game), followed by Johnstone (-0.28), Flekken (-0.27) and Petrovic (-0.25).

Wes should come to Arsenal after we sell Ramsdale , as cover for Raya

Foderingham: faced 165 shots on target, saved 106, conceded 63 (59 ex OGs). Save 63.6%; PSxGA* is 57.5 so he's 1.5 adverse.
Alisson: faced 73 shots on target, saved 55, conceded 18 (17 ex OGs). Saves 75.3%; PSxGA 18.9 so he's 0.9 better.

Select others:
Trafford: 159 shots on target, saved 107. conceded 58 (2 OGs). Save 66.7%; PSxGA 52.7 so 3.3 adverse
Kaminsky: 146 shots on target 96 saves, conceded 51 (1 OG). Save 66.4%, PSxGA 52.1 so 2.1 favourable
Flekken: 126 shots on target, 80 saves, conceded 46 (0 OGs). Save 64.3%, PSxGA 39.3 so 6.7 adverse

*all numbers except conceded exclude own goals (Foderingham 4, Alisson 1, Trafford 2, Kaminsky 1, Flekken 0)

Brentford need a new keeper. Kaminsky is keeping Luton in games but from memory his numbers have slipped recently. Vicario of Spurs and Dubravka of Newcastle are the best keepers statistically (0.25 fewer goals conceded vs expected each game), followed by Martinez (0.20) and Sá (0.19). Matt Turner is the worst keeper in the division by that stat (-0.35 more conceded per game), followed by Johnstone (-0.28), Flekken (-0.27) and Petrovic (-0.25).
Great stats but where does wes rank? You mentioned the worst in the league (turner, johnstone, flekken & Petrovic) is wes just above them as 5th worst or is he higher?

Interesting to see Gribic is only ten places behind Wes for "high claims" already

Great stats but where does wes rank? You mentioned the worst in the league (turner, johnstone, flekken & Petrovic) is wes just above them as 5th worst or is he higher?
Of the 27 keepers who've played sufficient amount of time Wes is 15th. Higher than I was expecting to be honest.

All stats from www.fbref.com

Should also state that I enjoy seeing David Raya being crap on all available objective metrics. We need to put the ball on top of him on all 4 chances we get.
Really? That's a surprise, we generally tend to think he's an improvement. I've looked at the stats there but don't really understand them

Really? That's a surprise, we generally tend to think he's an improvement. I've looked at the stats there but don't really understand them
My view has long been that Raya is vastly overrated because he's a good passer of the ball. Ramsdale isn't world class but he's a better keeper. Arteta solved a problem which didn't exist by signing Raya for £27m.

Back
Top Bottom