Never leave through the back door...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladesman2019

Reaction score
Happy new year to all, after reading the hysteria on here I thought I’d share my thoughts on things;

Chris said he’d never leave by the back door... He’s a man of pride and if we were to go down he’d be the best man in the league below.

We’ll be best placed in the league to bounce back up. The highest budget and most valuable squad on paper, 200m richer with a new training ground and several high value assets in our squad things are still looking positive!

let’s not forget that none of this would’ve happened without Covid and our fans really do make a huge difference for our players confidence.

let’s not forget where we’ve come from and that we all would’ve took where we find ourselves now 3 years ago.

with JO’C back in February and the hope of some creative midfielders being signed we’ll be back to the blades we know and love soon!

Everyone keep there heads up it could be worse..

happy new year x

At the moment we’re going out of the front door with a big sign on our chests saying “we’re shit”. I’d rather sneak out the back door by an agonising point on the last game of the season than what we’re doing at the moment.

Happy new year to all, after reading the hysteria on here I thought I’d share my thoughts on things;

Chris said he’d never leave by the back door... He’s a man of pride and if we were to go down he’d be the best man in the league below.

We’ll be best placed in the league to bounce back up. The highest budget and most valuable squad on paper, 200m richer with a new training ground and several high value assets in our squad things are still looking positive!

let’s not forget that none of this would’ve happened without Covid and our fans really do make a huge difference for our players confidence.

let’s not forget where we’ve come from and that we all would’ve took where we find ourselves now 3 years ago.

with JO’C back in February and the hope of some creative midfielders being signed we’ll be back to the blades we know and love soon!

Everyone keep there heads up it could be worse..

happy new year x
Good point. One observation;

We will be nothing like £200m richer. That may be money coming in, but a huge chunk of that will be going out to pay the existing contracts.

If we hold our nerve, have a plan, sell off the failed experiments like Berge, we will be well placed to restructure.

But we won’t have cash to throw about.

Another thread started with a load of platitudes that could just as easily be added to one of the existing million threads about the subject. Well done young man.

It's usually a misnomer to assume you'll be much better off financially for having gone up to the PL.

If you treat promotion as a free hit (a la Norwich) then yes. But in the case of us, no. We renewed everyone's contract and blew a lot of cash on transfer fees. We gambled the lot on becoming established (no criticism) and it hasn't come off.

Not sure I agree with highest budget, some teams in there that could easily outbid us on wages.

Could raise some by selling playing assets though, would get a bit for Berge.

We can also expect our best players to leave when we go down

We can also expect our best players to leave when we go down
There aren’t many advantages to going down in the unceremonious fashion that we are experiencing.

However, one of the “advantages” that we will not be pick pocketed. The only player who will have premier league interest is Egan.

Players like Basham can hold their head high still, but age will dictate we are still his best bet.

On the whole, most of our players have disgraced themselves and should be happy to remain at a club of our stature. The bigger problem will be offloading the ones we no longer want.

The fact we’re pretty much down might give us extra time to prepare for next season without having the disappointment hangover. Also gives us time to prepare financially and for players that don’t want to be here to speak to their agents.

Maybe this is just hopeful thinking, I’m just trying to think of a positive within this terrible run of form we’re in

All this “let’s not forget where we came from” does my head in. For a club of our size, 6 years in L1 was an absolute disgrace. Over our history we have generally been lower PL / higher Championship (and predecessor divisions) and that’s what we should expect.

Two points at this stage of the season is pathetic and an embarrassment - the fact we were in L1 recently does not alter that or justify it.

Highest budget?? Maybe if nobody else gets relegated wi us.

Exactly Deano, we're not the first to have climbed the league's quickly. Bournemouth and Swansea recent cases in point, albeit not necessarily on the shoestring budgets we were offering but they have both come from the brink of going out the League altogether to being competitive at the top level and Swansea even won a cup ffs, something we could only dream of.

People saying that it could be worse, yes, we COULD be still in League One. Fact is that we're not and aspire to be a bit better than simply "not being in League One" particularly after proving that we could mix it at the top level last season.
Realistically, flopping around mid table like a Palace, West Ham, Southampton type trying to win a cup or a Europa League place if you're lucky is where we'd be should be looking to have got to in the next few years but that's right out the window.

All this “let’s not forget where we came from” does my head in. For a club of our size, 6 years in L1 was an absolute disgrace. Over our history we have generally been lower PL / higher Championship (and predecessor divisions) and that’s what we should expect.

Two points at this stage of the season is pathetic and an embarrassment - the fact we were in L1 recently does not alter that or justify it.
I kind of agree, but being in L1 for so long means we have zero depth in the squad and academy. It also makes us less attractive for new players to come and for potential owners ,investors and sponsors.

Chris' office is near the dressing rooms in the South Stand. Is there even a back door? It's a stadium so if you leave from the back, you're on the pitch. Unless of course you then go through the John Street stand but you'll end up at the entrance on John Street.

There aren’t many advantages to going down in the unceremonious fashion that we are experiencing.

However, one of the “advantages” that we will not be pick pocketed. The only player who will have premier league interest is Egan.

Players like Basham can hold their head high still, but age will dictate we are still his best bet.

On the whole, most of our players have disgraced themselves and should be happy to remain at a club of our stature. The bigger problem will be offloading the ones we no longer want.

I wouldn't mind losing Egan. I really like the lad as a character and I rate him as a player, but I also think he's overrated by our fan base.
If someone put together a compilation of all the goals we conceded in 2020 you'd see a lot of them he should have done much better on.

That aside, he plays a more orthodox role and would be far easier to replace than O'Connell.

I wouldn't mind losing Egan. I really like the lad as a character and I rate him as a player, but I also think he's overrated by our fan base.
If someone put together a compilation of all the goals we conceded in 2020 you'd see a lot of them he should have done much better on.

That aside, he plays a more orthodox role and would be far easier to replace than O'Connell.
I agree. I think Egan is ok, and better than those he has partnered this season, but his lack of pace and mobility has been shown up this season. He also needs to be more vocal as captain - the way some of our players just stroll around is scandalous and he should be bollocking them for it.

Back
Top Bottom