My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Really, really pleasing game today from United. Right across the pitch we showed a lot of class and capability and the stuff that combined with expected and needed reinforcements, would stand us in good stead for next season if and when promoted. We also played a side who were themselves mostly tidy, football-wise disciplined and looked capable, and also a referee who was shambolic and bottom-drawer.

Not much of a change from our midweek muted defeat of Wrexham. To that end instead of us going up the pitch and giving the crowd some 'ooh' moments then falling back to let them onto us and playing the last ten minutes on our nerves, we ourselves fell under quite intense pressing and denial by Swansea in the first ten. We didn't get into their box until a quarter of an hour and suddenly we switched to attack soon after and went at them. We really showed what we could do from then on in. Great passing, movement, a wide range of skills options and opportunities. It was almost total football and became so capped off with a real class goal from Berge. This came at the end of a period where you knew a goal was coming too and not from one of Swansea's mistakes because even though we were on them, up to that moment they'd defended well and kept us at (half) arm's length at least. Then big surprise - instead of us doing a Frank Bruno on Tyson and reeling back after landing a punch, we went at them again. Their 4-2-3-1 left big gaps for Bogle and Lowe with the centrebacks getting their sleeves up too. Norwood absolutely sunbathed in his ability to dictate the game despite the ref seeming determined to hamper our progress. Free kick gained and whilst most expected the BLLT to be happy recipients of Norwood's strike, he hit it beautifully and it hammered the underside of the crossbar with JLT waiting like a Grizzly Bear to eat up the rebound. Two nowt!

Of course, like any United lead at half time you're expecting a different match in the second half even though we are kicking toward the kop. I missed the first five due to my firestick shitting it's nappy but rejoined with us again deep in their half and making them work hard. The midfield to me were having their best game this season (including Burnley) and Swansea looked ragged and unsure what or how to deal with attacks which came from all angles. The ref again looked set on giving the impetus to the away side with some frankly breathtakingly questionable decisions but I'm glad to report we didn't let it get to us. Everyone was expecting the third goal and it nearly came several times even with JLT smacking the foot of the post and Egan with (shock) a header on target! Finally Bogle (who to me is our best Wilder signing by a fucking light-year) dances through and sets up Osborn who sets up McB who gobbles up chances like that. La fait accompli. Ten points clear still and giving Boro summat to think about.

Foderingham 7/10: Brave in the first half and good save in the second.
Bogle 10/10: He gets this because I can't downmark him for anything to mind. He was dangerous up the pitch and tracked back to get the job done when needed. But he kept Swansea super busy and set up two goals. First class, Jayden. Well done.
Anel 7.5/10: Better performance from him and he did more by backing Bogle up out wide as an auxiliary RWB. Less clumsiness today too and more of his old self on show
Egan 8/10: Solid as a rock and read Swansea's attack once the back three had worked out who was marking who and what was each other's jobs
JLT 9/10: Monumental. The man is morphing into Chris Morgan but in truth, with more than Morgs had. Literally took the BL net off its posts with his goal and unlucky with his post hit at the SS end. He's gone from zero to hero this bloke and might just ... just ... be PL worthy.
Lowe 7/10: Doesn't attack as much as Bogle but today was a good echo of the past with him and Bogle on, with Naughton facing Lowe reflecting what we used to have with the two Kyles fourteen years ago. Still didn't drop a stitch mind.
Berge 7.5/10: Far better game from him. Okay, there are spells where he disappears for a bit but when he's on the ball like today, he gets the opposition on the back foot and especially in the middle hour of the game, put so much into our forward facing game. Took his goal with admirable coolness.
Norwood 9/10: Another player who has gone from nowt to everything. Bossed the midfield today and its a long time since I have said that in a 'My take ... ' Plenty of long passes but very much as and when needed and popped up here, there and everywhere to make his mark and make his contribution count. The saying is 'when he plays well, we play well' We played well today not just because of him today but in concert with him playing well.
McAtee 7.5/10: Really pleasing game. He got stuck in, made space and ran into it with the ball and like a lot of players out there ... in a forward moving direction. Baffled why he was subbed by Osborn because we lost impetus, big style when he went
NDaiye 7/10: No goals for him today but plenty of threat, pressing, menace and cleverness
Sharp 7.5/10: Billy just wanted to score, as he does in every match. His usual outing of strength and wisdom on show today with nothing much to show in terms of goals mind. Hope his ankle turn is healable

Osborn 5/10: Not sure what he brought to our game and when he came on we lost in McAtee an outlet which Osborn isn't. He did get involved but its all a bit hit and hope and frantic.
McBurnie 7/10: Loses half a mark for getting tangled up in the goalmouth melee, but that's McBurnie, isn't it. Always ready to pounce and this he did for the third.
Coullibally U/M: Couple of touches, none of them bad
Fleck N/M: Great to see him back
Basham N/M: Didn't touch the ball, did he?

HJ&SMcC 9/10: Great match for them all and a clean sheet which shows that the three departments they run can resonate so well in some matches. We should be very confident going into Wednesday's game having full belief we can beat them and beat them well. Puzzling sub bringing Osborn on in place of McAtee who was doing well at the time and maybe Coullibally was a better, stronger, more football-astute option.

pommpey

• Banned
Really, really pleasing game today from United. Right across the pitch we showed a lot of class and capability and the stuff that combined with expected and needed reinforcements, would stand us in good stead for next season if and when promoted. We also played a side who were themselves mostly tidy, football-wise disciplined and looked capable, and also a referee who was shambolic and bottom-drawer.

Not much of a change from our midweek muted defeat of Wrexham. To that end instead of us going up the pitch and giving the crowd some 'ooh' moments then falling back to let them onto us and playing the last ten minutes on our nerves, we ourselves fell under quite intense pressing and denial by Swansea in the first ten. We didn't get into their box until a quarter of an hour and suddenly we switched to attack soon after and went at them. We really showed what we could do from then on in. Great passing, movement, a wide range of skills options and opportunities. It was almost total football and became so capped off with a real class goal from Berge. This came at the end of a period where you knew a goal was coming too and not from one of Swansea's mistakes because even though we were on them, up to that moment they'd defended well and kept us at (half) arm's length at least. Then big surprise - instead of us doing a Frank Bruno on Tyson and reeling back after landing a punch, we went at them again. Their 4-2-3-1 left big gaps for Bogle and Lowe with the centrebacks getting their sleeves up too. Norwood absolutely sunbathed in his ability to dictate the game despite the ref seeming determined to hamper our progress. Free kick gained and whilst most expected the BLLT to be happy recipients of Norwood's strike, he hit it beautifully and it hammered the underside of the crossbar with JLT waiting like a Grizzly Bear to eat up the rebound. Two nowt!

Of course, like any United lead at half time you're expecting a different match in the second half even though we are kicking toward the kop. I missed the first five due to my firestick shitting it's nappy but rejoined with us again deep in their half and making them work hard. The midfield to me were having their best game this season (including Burnley) and Swansea looked ragged and unsure what or how to deal with attacks which came from all angles. The ref again looked set on giving the impetus to the away side with some frankly breathtakingly questionable decisions but I'm glad to report we didn't let it get to us. Everyone was expecting the third goal and it nearly came several times even with JLT smacking the foot of the post and Egan with (shock) a header on target! Finally Bogle (who to me is our best Wilder signing by a fucking light-year) dances through and sets up Osborn who sets up McB who gobbles up chances like that. La fait accompli. Ten points clear still and giving Boro summat to think about.

Bogle 10/10: He gets this because I can't downmark him for anything to mind. He was dangerous up the pitch and tracked back to get the job done when needed. But he kept Swansea super busy and set up two goals. First class, Jayden. Well done.
Anel 7.5/10: Better performance from him and he did more by backing Bogle up out wide as an auxiliary RWB. Less clumsiness today too and more of his old self on show
Egan 8/10: Solid as a rock and read Swansea's attack once the back three had worked out who was marking who and what was each other's jobs
JLT 9/10: Monumental. The man is morphing into Chris Morgan but in truth, with more than Morgs had. Literally took the BL net off its posts with his goal and unlucky with his post hit at the SS end. He's gone from zero to hero this bloke and might just ... just ... be PL worthy.
Lowe 7/10: Doesn't attack as much as Bogle but today was a good echo of the past with him and Bogle on, with Naughton facing Lowe reflecting what we used to have with the two Kyles fourteen years ago. Still didn't drop a stitch mind.
Berge 7.5/10: Far better game from him. Okay, there are spells where he disappears for a bit but when he's on the ball like today, he gets the opposition on the back foot and especially in the middle hour of the game, put so much into our forward facing game. Took his goal with admirable coolness.
Norwood 9/10: Another player who has gone from nowt to everything. Bossed the midfield today and its a long time since I have said that in a 'My take ... ' Plenty of long passes but very much as and when needed and popped up here, there and everywhere to make his mark and make his contribution count. The saying is 'when he plays well, we play well' We played well today not just because of him today but in concert with him playing well.
McAtee 7.5/10: Really pleasing game. He got stuck in, made space and ran into it with the ball and like a lot of players out there ... in a forward moving direction. Baffled why he was subbed by Osborn because we lost impetus, big style when he went
NDaiye 7/10: No goals for him today but plenty of threat, pressing, menace and cleverness
Sharp 7.5/10: Billy just wanted to score, as he does in every match. His usual outing of strength and wisdom on show today with nothing much to show in terms of goals mind. Hope his ankle turn is healable

Osborn 5/10: Not sure what he brought to our game and when he came on we lost in McAtee an outlet which Osborn isn't. He did get involved but its all a bit hit and hope and frantic.
McBurnie 7/10: Loses half a mark for getting tangled up in the goalmouth melee, but that's McBurnie, isn't it. Always ready to pounce and this he did for the third.

HJ&SMcC 9/10: Great match for them all and a clean sheet which shows that the three departments they run can resonate so well in some matches. We should be very confident going into Wednesday's game having full belief we can beat them and beat them well. Puzzling sub bringing Osborn on in place of McAtee who was doing well at the time and maybe Coullibally was a better, stronger, more football-astute option.

pommpey
TEN

points clear

pommpey

pommpey
I said that I'd agree!
Spot on again dude 👏

We just seemed to carve right through them they looked poor and tbh they’re not! Middlesbrough will be a different kettle of fish I expect a tougher match.
Well done Pomp’s excellent review again.

An absolutely superb performance, from all involved, against 12 men as well.

Agree that JLT, Bogle and Norwood were the stand outs, but noone put a foot wrong really. Thought Osborn did really well too. Industrious is the word I would use to describe him.

Well done Blades.

pommpey
Agree with 95% of that, apart from Osbourne, who I thought did well when he came on and was a 7/10

Great report, when Pompey ain't angry and cussing all through his view, things must be on the up!

Got to disagree on the Osborne mark. We know he's not McAtee but he didn't misplace anything and was in the right place to set up Ollie Mac. Solid 7 for me.

Things are looking really good with a settled first team and a strong bench.

Good to see Flecky back. One lovely touch from him.

Spot on report again pommpey, once we sussed them out there was only one outcome. As l've said before don't be looking behind us at boro but above us and catch Burnley, starting on Wednesday night. The love in for kompany is nauseating and after his comments at the lane he has it coming

I'd give McBurnie an extra Mark for getting stuck in at the goal mouth melee. With him on it we don't get bullied, absolute fucking star for me, diving in when his mates are in the shit.
I thought that McB just tried to calm things down down rather than get involved. Any other club than Swansea and he probably would have got involved

Good report Pomps
Some good performances as well
I said on Sheff Utd way watch along , they’ll come at us for a while , we’ll get into our stride and win 4-0 ( almost but not quite )
Other teams will have spells during our games but it’s how “ we “ react, at the minute we’re doing enough to win games .
For me that’s enough , get the points on the board , and strangle the life out of your opponents,
Great finish by Berge for first and a rocket for second , and nice play for 3rd , we could have had a lot more but I’m happy with how it ended
All the pressures on Boro midweek, they have to beat us to stand a faint chance of catching us
I don’t think they will
7 more wins & we’re up
UTB
JLT MOM for me

Agree with most of that Pommpey. Enjoyable read. Even more enjoyable performance and result.
Wednesday night could possibly be THE defining match this season. A win and we are then 13 points clear of Middlesbro. Win our game in hand and its 16 points clear. Surley we cant fuck up if that happens. Can we???
Not counting any chickens here, just hopeful speculation.

Pretty much spot on pommpey can't see there being any counter arguments, we just need a special few words for the referee. They have to be bad when both set of fans chant "you don't know what you're doing" he was a doozey 🥳

Back
Top Bottom