My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Well, many of us - me included - forecast today as being a continuation of the shit form we have seen. How wrong we were.

Okay, we still need some corners filing off but today was an example as to what can be done. Shite weather conditions and expectation from the crowd with 'new manager syndrome' and Hecky didn't disappoint but face it, we are far, far from any version of completion. Chance after chance after chance ... smashed at defenders, overplayed, no 'gamble on cross' or just a basic lack of clinical finishing and at times we were just waiting for Bristol City to break away and equalise. It didn't happen of course, but in mitigation more potent teams would have capitalised on our slender lead. We simply need to kill games off properly.

Different formation today too. Whereas most were expecting a reset to 5-3-2 and Wilderball, Hecky gave us variants of 5-2-3, then 3-4-2-1, depending on what we needed. I was delighted with this because that is how you should play games in my humble opinion. Didsy and MGW tucked in a lot more and gave their defence in the first half quite a bit to handle, even if it gave Brewster a lot of responsibility as they did the playmaking duties. Behind them Hourihane and Norwood looked more comfortable, Norwood not Hollywooding balls out so much again and finding passes to feet more. Hourihane is not our answer in that part of the pitch and the second half showed us that. The backline was much more improved too with the evergreen Basham being the lynchpin but to me we still need Jack back to complete the equation.

Overall though it was a delightful outing, frustrating by the fact that it wasn't more goals but it is three points they thoroughly deserved. Cardiff next, which will test Hecky's system more in terms of intensity and structure. Another three points would have us tucked up behind the chasing pack and cynics like me believing a whole lot more. Nice to see both goals come from our forwards, one expensive one at the beginning of his career, one veteran in his twilight footballing years

Foderingham 7/10: Sound goalkeeping from him bar one gaffe in the first half. Robin who?
Bogle 6.5/10: Drops a mark for me for being caught a few times high up the pitch although in fairness, he's not really to me a wingback, more a winger who likes to get up in the opposition box a mix it up
Basham 9/10: Sorry to get all sentimental, but this bloke is the cat's twat. He should now be known as 'Mr Always Does The Right Thing', because that is what he does. His tackling is timed, accurate and functional, his heading and positional stuff is flawless and he has that errant streak of excellence which finds him difficult to dispossess, turns away from his marker, goes into space, lays off a critical pass or just simply 'contributes effectively'. Since he has been at Bramall Lane, you'll still have fingers left if you were to list the errors and things he has done whilst playing in a red and white shirt. That is how good he is.
Egan 7/10: But more assured and effective outing for him
Davies 6/10: Hit and miss outing for him. He likes to get involved and pumps meaningful balls into the box from the back, but makes a fucking rick late on which as we know ends in a goal, and then another, and then its a two points lost inquest. We can't afford to give that away. Its unforgivable. He is not O'Connell. Nowhere near in fact.
Stevens 6/10: A much better performance today more indicative of the team as a whole rather than Stevens as an individual. He is still one third of the wingback of three years ago
Hourihane 4/10: Seems to have simply taken Fleck's place by default. First half wasn't so bad ... got involved in our moves forward and assisted in defence ... but second half was pretty abject with some head-smackingly shit passes and failure to get the ball through the defence and on target
Norwood 6.5/10: Busy day for Norwood and great to see he is not whacking it across the park much unless it is needed. He still doesn't impose and dominate, and still doesn't get very far into the opposition's half but at least with us not playing Wilderball much he's not pressed and dispossessed much, allowing him to play better, effective football. One skied shot on goal, sadly
MGW 8/10: Pleasing output from him and I pray we retain him in January because without him we will be struggling for creativity. He is still apt to try to take the world on but dazzles with some lovely showboaty skills (the double flick in the first half was tremendous) He dos however have a worrying tendency to waste so many well crafted chances, and at times today I feared that might cost us a couple of points, maybe all three.
McGoldrick 7.5/10: back to being Mr Experienced in the LAM role. He is THE person to 'bring the ball down and bring other players into the game' (remember, we used to say that about Ashley Ward a lot?) but McGoldrick actually does something about it. Set Billy's goal up really well.
Brewster 6.5/10: Really pleased he has scored again and in the league, and at Bramall Lane. Kinda looked like he didn't know what the fuck to do with the ball at his feet and my mate who was sat in the BLUT says he could see MGW screaming 'SHOOT!' at him. He also still plays on the off chance the defence will fuck up and gift him a goal, whereas when Billy came on, he was making the defence gift him a goal. There is a difference there you know. Hope his reason for going off isn't serious. I want this lad to hit form and start shitting goals

Sharp 8/10: Instantly made an impact and showed his superior centre forward credentials. Very well fought for and taken goal.
Berge 6/10: Nice to see him back, and hopefully a start next time out alongside Norwood
Osborn Not maked. Not on long enough

Hecky 8/10: Testing conditions and a long break in the second half but overall a really, really pleasing first game for the Heckngbottom/McCall/Lester nexus. We just need to work hard on finishing and we can be in and amongst it next May.

pommpey

I must say your write up on Davies had me worried.
Did we give away late goals again, I asked. 😓🤣
MGW is getting booked too much and,
like McGoldrick, scores way too few goals.

A back 3 for 3 games and no goals conceded - what's not to like about having Bash back in, who for me was outstanding today.

Davis is suiting 3 at the back and with Egan being effectively a defacto sweeper/free man is looking more like his old self.

Look - if you don't concede, you don't lose - it gives us a great platform to allow the full backs to push on and in effect pin teams back just like prem sides did the same to us after our system had got sussed.

Get your glass up to half filled and think the playoffs are easily in sight IF we start keeping numerous clean sheets.

Hard work ahead, but still lots to aim for this season.

UTB

Spot on there pommpey.
A better performance all round. Though while MGW over cooked it now and then, he was our driving force throughout the game. You can see he wants to get on the ball and take the game to the opposition. Good to see Brewster get his goal but there is along way to go with him. He needs good service because his running off the ball to make space and to open up defenses is a weak point.

We take the win and move on with some positivity but must remember that Bristol City were very poor. They could not keep the ball or create chances. We have a bit of a way to go to compete with the teams at the top of the table but we are looking better.

Much improved, played on the front foot, worked harder, moved the ball quicker and loads more movement
Again wasted loads of good chances and some excellent positions to score
We desperately needed 3 points today, so that’s a great result 😊 after a bizzare few days

Well, many of us - me included - forecast today as being a continuation of the shit form we have seen. How wrong we were.

Okay, we still need some corners filing off but today was an example as to what can be done. Shite weather conditions and expectation from the crowd with 'new manager syndrome' and Hecky didn't disappoint but face it, we are far, far from any version of completion. Chance after chance after chance ... smashed at defenders, overplayed, no 'gamble on cross' or just a basic lack of clinical finishing and at times we were just waiting for Bristol City to break away and equalise. It didn't happen of course, but in mitigation more potent teams would have capitalised on our slender lead. We simply need to kill games off properly.

Different formation today too. Whereas most were expecting a reset to 5-3-2 and Wilderball, Hecky gave us variants of 5-2-3, then 3-4-2-1, depending on what we needed. I was delighted with this because that is how you should play games in my humble opinion. Didsy and MGW tucked in a lot more and gave their defence in the first half quite a bit to handle, even if it gave Brewster a lot of responsibility as they did the playmaking duties. Behind them Hourihane and Norwood looked more comfortable, Norwood not Hollywooding balls out so much again and finding passes to feet more. Hourihane is not our answer in that part of the pitch and the second half showed us that. The backline was much more improved too with the evergreen Basham being the lynchpin but to me we still need Jack back to complete the equation.

Overall though it was a delightful outing, frustrating by the fact that it wasn't more goals but it is three points they thoroughly deserved. Cardiff next, which will test Hecky's system more in terms of intensity and structure. Another three points would have us tucked up behind the chasing pack and cynics like me believing a whole lot more. Nice to see both goals come from our forwards, one expensive one at the beginning of his career, one veteran in his twilight footballing years

Foderingham 7/10: Sound goalkeeping from him bar one gaffe in the first half. Robin who?
Bogle 6.5/10: Drops a mark for me for being caught a few times high up the pitch although in fairness, he's not really to me a wingback, more a winger who likes to get up in the opposition box a mix it up
Basham 9/10: Sorry to get all sentimental, but this bloke is the cat's twat. He should now be known as 'Mr Always Does The Right Thing', because that is what he does. His tackling is timed, accurate and functional, his heading and positional stuff is flawless and he has that errant streak of excellence which finds him difficult to dispossess, turns away from his marker, goes into space, lays off a critical pass or just simply 'contributes effectively'. Since he has been at Bramall Lane, you'll still have fingers left if you were to list the errors and things he has done whilst playing in a red and white shirt. That is how good he is.
Davies 6/10: Hit and miss outing for him. He likes to get involved and pumps meaningful balls into the box from the back, but makes a fucking rick late on which as we know ends in a goal, and then another, and then its a two points lost inquest. We can't afford to give that away. Its unforgivable. He is not O'Connell. Nowhere near in fact.
Stevens 6/10: A much better performance today more indicative of the team as a whole rather than Stevens as an individual. He is still one third of the wingback of three years ago
Hourihane 4/10: Seems to have simply taken Fleck's place by default. First half wasn't so bad ... got involved in our moves forward and assisted in defence ... but second half was pretty abject with some head-smackingly shit passes and failure to get the ball through the defence and on target
Norwood 6.5/10: Busy day for Norwood and great to see he is not whacking it across the park much unless it is needed. He still doesn't impose and dominate, and still doesn't get very far into the opposition's half but at least with us not playing Wilderball much he's not pressed and dispossessed much, allowing him to play better, effective football. One skied shot on goal, sadly
MGW 8/10: Pleasing output from him and I pray we retain him in January because without him we will be struggling for creativity. He is still apt to try to take the world on but dazzles with some lovely showboaty skills (the double flick in the first half was tremendous) He dos however have a worrying tendency to waste so many well crafted chances, and at times today I feared that might cost us a couple of points, maybe all three.
McGoldrick 7.5/10: back to being Mr Experienced in the LAM role. He is THE person to 'bring the ball down and bring other players into the game' (remember, we used to say that about Ashley Ward a lot?) but McGoldrick actually does something about it. Set Billy's goal up really well.
Brewster 6.5/10: Really pleased he has scored again and in the league, and at Bramall Lane. Kinda looked like he didn't know what the fuck to do with the ball at his feet and my mate who was sat in the BLUT says he could see MGW screaming 'SHOOT!' at him. He also still plays on the off chance the defence will fuck up and gift him a goal, whereas when Billy came on, he was making the defence gift him a goal. There is a difference there you know. Hope his reason for going off isn't serious. I want this lad to hit form and start shitting goals

Sharp 8/10: Instantly made an impact and showed his superior centre forward credentials. Very well fought for and taken goal.
Berge 6/10: Nice to see him back, and hopefully a start next time out alongside Norwood

Hecky 8/10: Testing conditions and a long break in the second half but overall a really, really pleasing first game for the Heckngbottom/McCall/Lester nexus. We just need to work hard on finishing and we can be in and amongst it next May.

pommpey
Nice report pommpey, but I'd mark Brewster a little higher as I thought he was having his best game for us before getting injured. Some of his link up play was good and I really think we've got a proper footballer there. Just needs a regular run which will improve his confidence I hope. Get Billy and Jack Lester coaching him and he'll be fine.

Aye it was good, much, much better but I actually think it was a bit of a reflection on how poorly things had gone before. I don't think Heckingbottom has to pull up any trees for things to be a million times better- play the system we're best at, get them motivated, and with a decent squad in a shite league, no reason we can't go on a decent run.

I don't think it was any reason to get over excited but it's definitely a big bloody relief!! No reason to write anything off yet, season starts here.

Ps bit harsh on Hourihane I reckon. So far I'd have been happy with sending him back, but I reckon today, playing a role he isn't used to (he'd blatantly been asked to get forward) he made some great runs into the box. He wasn't stunning but fair play for giving it such a go.

Good summation as usual Pommps. Makes me think the January window wants and needs has changed dramatically. Long may the improvement continue especially with Fulham on the horizon.

Finally we look like a work in progress, rather than a bunch of players trying to work out an impossible puzzle

We need a nasty fucker for CM, and some players are stilll out of form/confidence - Stevens for example, but hopefully that wil cahnge with the new voices at the club.. It felt we had loads of chances and 20 odd shots at goal sounds about right.

The only cloud is how poor Bristol City were. tougher tests to come I think

Interesting to see who didn't make the 18

Bit harsh on Hourahane who I thought had a more than decent first half. Yeah there was a spell 2nd half where he didn't do himself justice, but I think it was a marked improvement on his previous showings. 6.5 for me.
He gets a lot of marks just for that lovely little pass to Stevens for Brewster’s goal

pommpey
Stevens 6/10 fuck me. Balls bounce of his shin and under his foot for fun. Still, half a mark under Norwood.

Good report, fair assessments. Have you ever given away a 9 out of 10 before? Well deserved too. Bash is majestic.

I may have nudged Didsy up half a point as he was tremendous today too. And great to see Billy get on the pitch and score ...again. We are going to really miss him one day, hope it's not too soon. Brewdog starting to look better and better, lets hope it was nothing serious.

Finally a big shout out to Hecky. Like many, I was very unconvinced, but he certainly got a new tune out of those well used instruments today. Hardly recognisable from the exact same players under Slav. Very encouraging stuff after a shitshow of a week at the Lane.

Stevens 6/10 fuck me. Balls bounce of his shin and under his foot for fun. Still, half a mark under Norwood.

Cheesboard 1/10: Scans other people's posts for the one thing he disagrees with then makes a fucking song and dance about it.

pommpey

Big improvement on previous performances. How much that was down to us rather than how poor BC looked I don’t know. But as the saying goes, you can only beat what’s put in front you, today rang true

Let’s hope Hecky’s honeymoon period lasts all the way to promotion 🙂

Cheesboard 1/10: Scans other people's posts for the one thing he disagrees with then makes a fucking song and dance about it.

pommpey
Believe me, there's more than one. Snow blowin across your screen?

Good report I was afraid of more of the same dross but very happy to be wrong. Need a few more games like that to prove the change of management really works but exciting prospects ahead.

Wes was excellent for me today bar the one slip up. Basham is a legend. Just watched the highlights and saw what others have commented MGW pointing at the goal to Brewster (as though he didnt know where it was) and shouting SHOOT.

We definitely need to try and keep MGW in January and pull out all the stops (we can).

Back
Top Bottom