My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Apologies for the tardiness. Just back from a gig. A fairly unrewarding retirement party. 'Paid rehearsal'. I mean, we had 'em up yelling for more, but it was shit. Proper pub gig next week, thank fuck, and hopefully a similar report to make. I hope we have indeed turned that corner. We'll see if that is so versus PNE on Tuesday, eh?

I watched on SUTV again, with Mogadon Kev and Deano this time and some ditzy, pretty lame lady presenting. Kev went to join in with the commentary. Fuck me he's dull. Deano however looks like he could still do ninety and make the opposition work hard.

But the game? What a fucking joyous event. We've said for some time one day some team is gonna get their bollocks stamped flat and the hapless, hopeless Peterborough were them today. Not sure the last time we banged six in, let alone five, but for large parts of the game today we looked like we'd eat our own guts and ask for seconds. The Christmas Tree formation worked well and gave Ndayie and Gibbs-White the bandwidth in the Inside Left and Inside Right positions to maraud and menace and make the most of Posh's naïve defending. Geoff Salmons and Tony Currie would have been proud of that.

It was indeed a game we should be winning and winning by that margin, if not more. Uncharacteristic clumsiness by one of our usually reliable centre backs and pretty formulaic uselessness by the other gifted them two undeserved goals which, on any other day playing Wilderball would have been the only two goals of the game.

I think we started iffy to be honest. Regardless of endeavour we have shown against other teams, in the early stages it was keep-ball, as though we were in one of those 'you can only pass it and deny the opposition' training games. You could see it was frustrating the arse off Gibbs-White and Ndaiye because they truly wanted to run at the Posh defence and get past them. When has that happened recently? Eventually RND pings his own pass forward and a few exchanges later we are in their box and one up. That. Fucking. Easy. Two tactics. Direct and attacking. I haven't seen us do that for yonks. And it fucking well works.

Okay, Robinson soiled his golden casing and allowed Marriot in (largely not helped however by surrounding players I feel), from the first goal onward though it seemed like everyone had suddenly realised that passing the ball to two creative, attacking midfielders makes opportunities happen. The WIlder-era players were quite happy to steer the ball into the predictable areas, but as soon as it found the feet of these two it was directed infield and forward and toward the penalty area in the inner channels, bringing in other players who were willing to participate and join in. How refreshing is that?

Second half we just ran the game. It was not so much how many but when next we'd be in on goal. Fleck surprised even me with his lungbusting run and execution and the afternoon was capped off with some fine work to get the rest, even from McBurnie and his deft pass. We did dip a bit when Gibbs-White and Ndaiye went off. Shows what mercurial talent and creativity can do.

Sure, as said, it was basically Div One versus Premiership in real terms and we need to see how that holds up against permanent fly-in-the-ointment PNE on Tuesday. It's hoped the confident, in-control, busy demeanour displayed today will build and we can show that this pasting was summat we can dish out at will and teams had best beware

Foderingham 7/10: Decent display, albeit with little to do but pick the ball out of the net. Loses a point for showing Marriott too much of the far post.
Baldock 7/10: Usual busy, industrious self but apt to go back on old habits of the receive-drag-back crap which spoils his game at times. Get forward George. You should be more active when we are advancing.
Egan 7/10: Did his usual anchorman role. Naïve clumsiness gifted them a penalty, mind.
Robinson 5/10: He isn't Championship level, is he? Complete fuck up in the first half which would normally have earned him a 2/10, especially if it cost us the game and a completely missed header at the back stick. Did rally and regain points in the second half mind. But still shite.
RND 7.5/10: Great work up that flank and involved in a lot of our ventures forward.
Fleck 7.5/10: Did well and took his goal well, too. A vast improvement on recent games. Much more invested in that midfield and able to pick people out, as well as look slightly dangerous. But let's not get above ourselves here. John is back. But for how long?
Norwood 6/10: A much better game for him but still apt to drift balls across the pitch seemingly only for his own entertainment. Gash shots on goal.
Osborn 7.5/10: Really pleasing performance and well taken goals. He actually looked part of the machinery today instead of a spinning cog, driving fuck all.
Gibbs-White 9/10: Really, REALLY promising lad with real ability to puncture defences and cause them harm. So impressed with him today.
Ndiaye: 8.5/10: Tremendous outing for this lad and so glad he bagged a brace of goals. Well deserved.
Sharp 8/10: Yep, he's old, but fuck me does he know how to drag defences all over the shop to enable chances to occur?

Freeman 6/10: A much better and more controlled appearance from him. Did well to maintain the pressure, albeit differently from the bloke he replaced
McBurnie 5.5/10: Not a lot happening for him. Good ball to Osborn for the sixth though
Hourihane 5.5/10: not much to see from him as it was all over by the time he came on. Looks capable, but Posh were flat out on the canvas by then.

Couple of things. We need to work on crosses. Todays were overhit or boinged off players heads over the bar and maybe stop this keep-ball, bollocks.

Apart from that, fucking superb guys. Keep it up.

pommpey

Top stuff Pommpey, hopefully the lads justify these sorts of ratings week in week out from now on. Davies and Olsen in for Robinson and Wes next hopefully. Norwood is one I've slagged plenty but maybe if Fleck strings together good performances itll put a firework up Oli's arse too.

Agree with most of that. Think maybe slightly higher ratings for Fleck, Osborn, Sharp and Ndiaye. Them and Gibbs-White were immense and any could have been MoM.

3 assists for Sharp, 2 goals and an assist from Ndiaye and an awesome all round performance and a goal for Gibbs-White.

From having no goal threat, suddenly we have a goal threat from all over the park. I know it's only one game, but the signs are encouraging, that we are getting it together.

Ndiaye and Gibbs-White made such a difference. They offered everything we've been lacking. Energy, pace, dynamism and wanting to take players on. Opens up everything for the rest of team.

Top stuff Pommpey, hopefully the lads justify these sorts of ratings week in week out from now on. Davies and Olsen in for Robinson and Wes next hopefully. Norwood is one I've slagged plenty but maybe if Fleck strings together good performances itll put a firework up Oli's arse too.
After today I think Norwood and Fleck will improve and get back to the players they were. Ndiaye and Gibbs-White gave them options, energy and movement we haven't had in a long time. They lifted the whole team to be honest and exactly what Slav was asking for with new players.

Was nice to see the whole team joining in with the celebrations as well. Shows they're all together and want to march up that table.

We were watching the same game? Yes we were. Good summation. And we have Berge and Olsen to fill in the two error prone players. Foderingham not consistent enough and Norwood made to look good against weak opposition. Also he still can't back track. Bring on the fly in the ointment.

The energy , pace and movement of Ndiaye were a joy behold. I was feeling almost embarrassed for the 60mill of ‘ talent ‘ not on the pitch. Davies and Olsen to stiffen up defence and now we’re motoring….

...it was basically Div One versus Premiership in real terms

We've already had that twice before in this year when we struggled to overcome both L1 relegated Bristol Rovers and L1 lower mid-table Plymouth. This was radically different against automatically promoted L1 Peterborough.

So I see the green shoots of recovery, blah, blah.

Cheers fella,good ratings and agree wholeheartedly with the sum up as it was indeed 'fucking superb'!
It's been a while since Sunday mornings have felt this good,and while I know it's only one game, we all knew it just needed that bit of quality to come into the team to freshen us up and it paid dividends yesterday.
The season starts here...

Before the game me and my mate were saying WTF is this line up the bench looks stronger ............. shows what we know.
Shows too we can play with a back four even if one of them is C3P0.
First game I've enjoyed for as long as I can remember MGW and ND in midfield and up front with their energy and movement gave the whole team a lift and brought out the best in others notably Fleck who hasn't had a game like that for a year or so. Could have give 4 players the MOTM and it would have been deserved. Hopefully we are throwing the Wilder shackles off at last UTB ⚔️ ⚔️ ⚔️ ⚔️ ⚔️ ⚔️

I've only been able to watch the highlights. I love a match with a score so big that the highlights can only show the goals.

From what I saw it was a reminder of what the team CAN be, all team goals and a couple of ambitious (ish) attempts that came off and ended up in the net. Over the last year or so we have lost that but those highlights shows that it's still there. Even Fleck got on the score sheet.

Im hoping the new signings have lit a fire under arses of the usuals that seemingly could not be close to arsed anymore and were towing the line happy to accept draws. Those defensive fuck ups still seem to be there which have plagued us for as long as I've been watching us so I don't expect that to go.

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves but this should give the lads and Slav especially a boost in confidence, they need to take that and run with it. That's exactly what gave us that immense season in the Premier league. There's no doubt we have quality but sometimes it feels like we're reluctant to show it.

Amazing how some serious competition for the shirt can make the midfield up their game....

Back
Top Bottom