My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Shame we dont have a midfielder of the calibre of Gallagher to provide for Brewster.

There's some seriously bad goalkeeping and defending for most of those goals but that said he does look a lot sharper than the version of brewster we are currently watching

Agree with that summary Pomps.

I reckon Bruce's team talk was; allow us to have the ball as much as possible because Norwood will give it back to them and they'll hit us on the counter with ASM, et al.

Disappointed with another below par blades performance. It sums up our season. Lost by one goal to a team there for the taking. Mind you 20 mins of the second half was gamesmanship with Geordies feining injury.
Thought the ref was poor too for what it's worth.

Finishing with positives however, Jebbo reminds me of early Deano and Rammers looks like a reyt player (now)!!

What the fuck happened to the creativity and drive at Goodison? Or were Everton flatteringly shit like Man U were and both our away wins were because of the opposition, not in spite of our opposition? Seems so.

It's called a lack of bollox from these frauds that call themselves professional footballers.

Think they've done enough turning up for one game at Goodison and have now reverted to their wage stealing selves.

Missed the first half hour, for some strange reason. The stagnation of interest and resignation that despite the last game's heroics may be a one off prevented me from checking tonight's kick off time and I did think it was seven o'clock. Not that it made any difference.

I'll take anyone's word that we started brightly and apparently Didsy missed a sitter. I did catch Ramsdale's astonishing save from Shelvey in the advert-packed half time break but by the time I had tuned in it looked like we were plaing 5-4-1 with Wilderball written all over it. What the fuck happened to the creativity and drive at Goodison? Or were Everton flatteringly shit like Man U were and both our away wins were because of the opposition, not in spite of our opposition? Seems so.

In the final fifteen of the first half we seemed to be back playing display opposition football, with Saint Maximan and Omiron practically running the match, waiting for the key moment when we stick or chins out to have it punched. Trouble is theses days were can't take a punch, a bit like Amir Kahn and even a grazing blow has us down on the canvas, and losing every subsequent round on points. Again, front to back we lost the battles and our back three seems to be unravelling badly with Basham and Egan forgetting the basics of marking. St James's hasn't been kind to us or even John Egan in the past and today he looked one eighth of that towering Irish brick shithouse we came up to the Premier League with. The midfield, even bolstered by the still mercurial McGoldrick looked bereft of ideas with them again, working the ball down the flanks only to be boxed in effectively. Please see my past assessment on the failures of Wilderball some months ago now. The only saving grace is that as ASM and Joelinton got injured and they eventually brought on Gayle and Longstaff, their contribution was slightly less threatening on the break. I had Dwight Gayle as a possibly target for us once, but on tonight's showing I am glad we didn't. He's fucking pisswater.

Second half we still pursued the predictable flank play, wasted a shitload of chances, shit crosses, corners, free kicks and despite Didsy's epic punt onto the crossbar, was Dubravka's injury just out of boredom or want to get some camera time? We'd never see him flying through the air, would we? Every time we got near their box it ended up back with Robinson or Egan and it was recycled up, then back, up, then back. Again, we just never even looked remotely like scoring, Jebbo and Brewster or not.

Ramsdale 10/10: Some breathtaking saves. Really good now and dare I say it, at Henderson levels of goalkeeping output. Welcome back at last Aaron
Bogle 4/10: Poor showing from him. He is not a RWB and was left picking Willock up for their goal where he barely laid a glove on him
Basham 3/10: Not really an effective performance from Bash. Looks like he either needs a rest, or out of the club. Hope it's not the latter
Egan 4/10: A poor performance for him. Some okay clearances but all in all his move under the ball for their goal was unforgivable
Robinson 5.5/10: Stronger game from him and since his injury break has come back more robust and less robotic
Stevens 4/10: Again, stripped for pace by ASM and others. Back to basics for him
Osborn 5/10: A lot of intense, busy running about as usual but with nowt to show for it
Norwood 2/10: Back to his usual pointy, beatable self with fuck all to show for what the commentator said about his ability at dead ball situations. He has nothing to offer.
Fleck 4.5/10: Not effective for much of the match
McGoldrick 6/10: Only just for his crossbar hit and some deft control but he was basically chasing the game and trying to work a way in whilst the fuckin'-fuckkaz dropped deep and mopped us up in the second half
Jebbison 5/10: I am being generous but he had nowt to go on. Poor kid.

Brewster 4/10: A few touches and links but he's not effective at all, is he? Let's stop kidding ourselves here and say that the PL is not his game, huh?
Seriki n/a: Don't think he touched the ball

One more fucking game to go and we can forget this fucking season, goddammit. It has been the lowest point for me as a Unitedite.

pommpey

If you start a campaign with the slowest defence in your league, the slowest midfield and the slowest attack yet fail to address that issue when it becomes glaringly apparent then there is inevitably only one outcome.

See Sheffield United 20/21.

It's called a lack of bollox from these frauds that call themselves professional footballers.

Think they've done enough turning up for one game at Goodison and have now reverted to their wage stealing selves.
It's not just that. Everton dialled in a performance thinking that would win them the game, particularly in midfield. Newcastle, much as it pains me to admit it, had a tactical plan: sit deep knowing we lack the technique and movement to unlock a defence, keep the wide forwards high up the pitch to force our wingback back and hit us on the break to exploit the horrible lack of pace through the spine of the team.

Shame we dont have a midfielder of the calibre of Gallagher to provide for Brewster.

But they have players that are RUNNING (sometimes as many as two or three and even some from the midfield) directly attacking the penalty box centraly wheras we always play it out wide, play a few triangles (slowly) and then play it back to the centre circle and then try down the other wing if we haven't given it back to the opposition by then. What struck me was the speed at which they built the attacks and with so many players in the box, ours seem so pedestrian by comparison and our playesrs seem to think (apart from Jebbison) that the opposition box is a no go area to be avoided at all costs.

Just read about the American investors taking 39% of Leeds with serious aspirations to be one of the best in the world, talking about 'the sky's the limit'!

Not sure what aspirations we have? Hang on it the PL, don't get relegated, be like CP, Burnley, Southampton, & be the best in S/Yorkshire?

Small minded outlook, attracting small minded players, playing small minded football! You would have to pay me to go on Saturday, my blood would boil at seeing them after the terrible performances we have endured this season.

Having just watched the highlights I realise that my comments above were too generous!!!

I honestly believe Wilder decided to go out of embarrassment of being duped into paying 23m for Brewster. A man who found pearls like Basham and OConnell being sold a pup by some devious Scousers.

Though Bash wasn’t “found” by Wilder. He was signed by Nigel Clough, who also played him as a centre half.

I'm of the opinion that Bogle would shine in a 4-4-2 or any other formation where he plays as a winger and not a right back, with Furious George playing a traditional right back role. As enjoyable as it was to watch the overlapping centre backs I think we need to go back to basics
He was garbage. Every time he got the ball he looked to go back. Utter tripe.

yeah 2 completly different performances in a week at everton we were positive moved the ball quicker and were always looking to play the ball forward but exactly the opposite at st james park slow ponderous walking sideways backwards football just dont understand it

yeah 2 completly different performances in a week at everton we were positive moved the ball quicker and were always looking to play the ball forward but exactly the opposite at st james park slow ponderous walking sideways backwards football just dont understand it

As soon as we play Wilderball, we revert to the vulnerable, beatable old self

Teams have got it sussed

pommpey

Working late so missed first half
Son said we’d been shit and goal was laughable
He was happy when Dwight came on as he had a bet on him to score
I wasn’t going to watch it as they only put me in the horrors this season after watching em
I hope the boys get the recognition they deserve on Sunday v Burnley for their efforts through the season

Surprised that only a few see how we slow things down. This season we seem to have stopped the overlapping, sharp movement off the ball, fast one touch football. When was the last time we played one touch which resulted in a quick cross in behind the defence?
It has to be confidence, every player who receives the ball is generally stood still as the the player with the ball does not play it until it's safe. We also lack players who can go past a couple of players and play a pass, we try and score the perfect goal. Don't get me wrong, when it comes off, like last season a few times it is awesome to watch, but, if you try and do it all the time then other teams know what's coming. That's this season in a nutshell.
We need a shake up, or, or right ficking kick up the r's by the new manager. Hecky, I hope you stay as under 23 boss, you are too simular to sir Chris for us to move on first team wise.
I hope on Sunday Hecky tells the lads to go for it like it's your last ever game for the Blades, sorry to say this, for a couple, I hope it is.
UTB

One positive (for me anyway) is we now know how important furious George is.

Bogle was the worst player on the pitch. His jumping ability for the goal was right up there with Christopher Reeve/Stephen Hawking/Leon Clarke...

Looks like, despite the early glimmers, Bogle is another dud courtesy of Sir Chris of Wilder....

Still think Norwood/Fleck/McGoldrick have sufficient quality to boss most games next season - but we've now seen what we have to do and far short we are if we do bounce back...

Norwood needs replacing ASAP. He just doesn’t handle pressure and he needs far more in his game than the occasional ping if we’re going to challenge next season.

Surprised that only a few see how we slow things down. This season we seem to have stopped the overlapping, sharp movement off the ball, fast one touch football. When was the last time we played one touch which resulted in a quick cross in behind the defence?
It has to be confidence, every player who receives the ball is generally stood still as the the player with the ball does not play it until it's safe. We also lack players who can go past a couple of players and play a pass, we try and score the perfect goal. Don't get me wrong, when it comes off, like last season a few times it is awesome to watch, but, if you try and do it all the time then other teams know what's coming. That's this season in a nutshell.
We need a shake up, or, or right ficking kick up the r's by the new manager. Hecky, I hope you stay as under 23 boss, you are too simular to sir Chris for us to move on first team wise.
I hope on Sunday Hecky tells the lads to go for it like it's your last ever game for the Blades, sorry to say this, for a couple, I hope it is.
UTB

Simple. We've been sussed out. I'm surprised people aren't referencing my earlier 'So, what has gone wrong' post where I went into great detail at the beginning of this year about the failures of Wilderball even when he was our manager. The frailties were all there and the plan, then evidently nullified, needed modification, We needed to stop trying to push the ball up the wing and make advances into the crossing zone where a lot of our games had beeen won up until lockdown. It just gives the opposition the chance to block us in and go backwards, eventually giving it to Norwood who'd give the ball away under pressure and we'd be on the retreat, usually ending up in conceding with our midfield pressed against our back three, defending as a haphazard eight with the front two massively disconnected.

We didn't play like this against Everton and it showed. We played a different strategy based on a 4-2-2-1 outfield, with greater emphasis in retaining possession and moving up the pitch. Anchellotti failed to counter this and despite his substitutions, weak points like Norwood were rarely pressed because options were available. We hung onto our lead and won.

Newcastle on the other hand took the lead they deserved through sloppy penalty area marking and simply managed us to a defeat. We went Wilderball again and faced four man blocks up the flanks and Norwood - the pivot - once again, looked distinctly shaky on the ball. Once he stops playing we have lost the match, and Norwood this season has never started playing. He has been woeful, Fleck too and Lundstram ever the more disgruntled and ineffective in a Blades shirt.

Wilder had every opportunity to fix this shit and so has Heckingbottom. They haven't.

pommpey

We didn't play like this against Everton and it showed. We played a different strategy based on a 4-2-2-1 outfield, with greater emphasis in retaining possession and moving up the pitch. Anchellotti failed to counter this and despite his substitutions, weak points like Norwood were rarely pressed because options were available. We hung onto our lead and won.

Newcastle on the other hand took the lead they deserved through sloppy penalty area marking and simply managed us to a defeat. We went Wilderball again and faced four man blocks up the flanks and Norwood - the pivot - once again, looked distinctly shaky on the ball. Once he stops playing we have lost the match, and Norwood this season has never started playing. He has been woeful, Fleck too and Lundstram ever the more disgruntled and ineffective in a Blades shirt.

Wilder had every opportunity to fix this shit and so has Heckingbottom. They haven't.

pommpey

It’s even more amazing how good we were against Everton when you consider we played with ten men.

Back
Top Bottom