My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Today's formation was 3-4-2-1, a welcome change, and I thought it worked pretty well. Wolves struggled to find space and we pressed better than we've done in a long time. If we'd taken that chance that lead to their break and winner it may have been a really good away win, similar to a few last season. We looked well prepared, well done to Heckingbottom who came up with a decent tweak tonight.

Same owd, same same owd tonight. Didn't take our 'chance' & bosh - they did theirs... officiating awful and we couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Same story.

Blind-alley-George tonight appeared to be trying his best to follow the form of Enda.

I'll be glad to never see a number of those players represent us again (Inc Lunny).
Carried far too many below-par personnel this season (I refuse to call some of them players) who drew wages that most of us could only dream of.

At least in previous relegation seasons we scrapped with heart and narrowly lost out. This year has been embarrassing.
The players need to look themselves in the mirror and have a proper word with themselves.
As a club the owner needs to get a grip quickly otherwise it'll be another 12 years.

Either way, as always I'll be there as a true blade, but I'm fooking fuming tonight...

Today's formation was 3-4-2-1, a welcome change, and I thought it worked pretty well. Wolves struggled to find space and we pressed better than we've done in a long time. If we'd taken that chance that lead to their break and winner it may have been a really good away win, similar to a few last season. We looked well prepared, well done to Heckingbottom who came up with a decent tweak tonight.

I thought it looked more like

-------------------------------------------Ramsdale-----------------------------------------------

--------------Ampadu-----------------------Egan--------------------------Bryan-----------------

-Baldock--------------------Norwood--------------------Fleck-------------------------Stevens--

---------------------------------------------Osborn------------------------------------------------

------------------------------Brewster-------------------McGoldrick------------------------------

Which doesn't look too bad a line up save that Fleck and Norwood were ineffective and Osborn isn't a Number Ten

Ampadu got forward more down the right but him and Baldock ran into the sand up in the opposition wide areas.

pommpey

and that last season VAR was pretty shite in our favour anyway.

Just curious, what did you men's by this bit? We were the joint most wronged team by VAR decisions being called against us last season of I recall correctly.

This season I think we've been net beneficiaries, though wasted any of that.

Just curious, what did you men's by this bit? We were the joint most wronged team by VAR decisions being called against us last season of I recall correctly.

This season I think we've been net beneficiaries, though wasted any of that.

Precisely what you said

Last season we were not beneficiaries.

This season it doesn't matter anyway

pommpey

It's all over then, as if it wasn't last November. Fucking dismal, pointless and shitty performance with clueless strategy against a Wolves side looking frail and error prone across the pitch. The difference in them from the third minute of this season when they burst forward, skipped over Lundstram's gash tackle and put the ball in the kop end past Ramsdale was there to be seen. This wasn't that Wolves and we again failed to fucking beat them.

Not that it mattered. Everything Wilder failed to do to put things right was out there on the pitch tonight, as if by parting arrangement with Heckingbottom just to make a point. The same old beatable 5-3-2 with our LWB Osborn in the Duffy role with the better Number 10 up front with the utter flop that is Rhian Brewster. It was obvious how things were to emerge. We'd huff and we'd puff and the big bad wolves would eventually blow our house down.

First half was an utter borefest. The only talking point was the ref's total abrogation of responsibility in yellowing Brewster for having his ankle stamped on. I hope somewhere in the FA or PL they are looking at that and marking the ref down but why should they? It's only Sheffield United, isn't it? Who gives a fat fuck? They're relegated now. I mean, at the start of this slow, sad slip into shitness, no one gave a fuck that goal line technology had failed us so badly (and Watford, as it stands) and that last season VAR was pretty shite in our favour anyway.

The commentators made big in the second half about us being at Wolves and yeah, we did at least 'try' but the effort was pisspoor. All fucking game we ran into blind alleys. Mostly down in the wing channels trying to play fucking Wilderball and doing the usual knock it across the back with Norwood ignoring his brief to play RCM and playing pivot showing off clipping the ball across the pitch for the sum total of fuck all. The only noteworthy player was Osborn, not because of what he did, but because he charged about at least trying to make some sort of cause/effect process.

Anyway, for what it's worth

Ramsdale 6/10: Couple of decent saves. A couple of shit clearances.
Baldock 5/10: Slowly losing his mojo
Ampadu 6/10: Tried to get forward and make an impact from wide allowing Baldock more room
Egan 6/10: Did what he could, but was left exposed by Bryan's naivety at times
Bryan 4/10: Weak link in the back three
Stevens 3/10: Usual sub-par outing. Garbage attempt on goal
Norwood 3/10: Poor outing with no real effect apart from a fortuitous clearance off the line and a sitter straight at their keeper. Sweet feet my fucking shitlocker
Fleck 2/10: Really anonymous
McGoldrick 4/10: Loads of effort but no effect
Brewster 1/10: Poor kid

Burke 2/10: Aimless, clueless and pointless
Mousset 0/10: Yeah, I mean it. Fucking crap
Bogle 3/10: Not enough time to get involved

Rest of season:

Start planning now to get shut of the luggage Heckingbottom. We have too many straphangers and people no way good enough for next season, never mind a campaign to return to the top flight. We need to de-Wilderise the club now and start looking at a completely different Sheffield United starting in August. We are done now, the issue is sorted. Get the kids out there and sit the passengers down and gt their bags packed ready for the new manager.

pommpey
Spot as always Pomps but the glaring omission was. 10/10 for Lundstram being in the sick bay..... only highlight for me was not having to watch him jogging around, passing backwards and pointing.

When someone posts that they're "first" it's not the first post, but the first response. Therefore, the 11th post is the 10th response, so I maintain I was correct to say I was 10th.

These things are important to establish on the night your team was relegated from the Premier League
I told pommpey before
it doesn’t count once he puts first

It was the best performance since heckingbottom took over and it coincided with Lundstram sat in the stands obviously working out how he is going to spend the signing on fee he has already negotiated with his new club.

I watched the game once I saw Lundstram wasn’t playing. The effort was much improved, unfortunately the quality was where it’s been all season. At least we aren’t just banging it from back to front anymore but if Wolves were any good they’d have pressed us and we’d have given them the ball straight back.

I thought it looked more like

-------------------------------------------Ramsdale-----------------------------------------------

--------------Ampadu-----------------------Egan--------------------------Bryan-----------------

-Baldock--------------------Norwood--------------------Fleck-------------------------Stevens--

---------------------------------------------Osborn------------------------------------------------

------------------------------Brewster-------------------McGoldrick------------------------------

Which doesn't look too bad a line up save that Fleck and Norwood were ineffective and Osborn isn't a Number Ten

Ampadu got forward more down the right but him and Baldock ran into the sand up in the opposition wide areas.

pommpey
Agree with this. ultimately this formation/ system was a failure against a very poor Wolves. Plenty of decent possession, effort and quality on the ball in defence and midfield but very little end product. Baldock and stevens completely surrounded when going down the wings with no forward/ sideways out ball. No overlapping centre backs. When we did very slowly work a crossing opportunity we had no aerial threat in their box. Brewster a passenger as usual. Our ridiculous absence of goal threat exposed once again. We’ve gone down because we haven’t scored enough goals. We keep trying a system that hasn’t worked since Christmas 2019 due to other teams working out how to stop us breaking quickly down the wingsand it’s reliance on the absent JOC/ Bash. Why does anyone imagine that champion ship teams won’t do the same, probably against a weakened Blades squad? I’m not going to do the definition of insanity quote because it’s worked to death.

Agree with this. ultimately this formation/ system was a failure against a very poor Wolves. Plenty of decent possession, effort and quality on the ball in defence and midfield but very little end product. Baldock and stevens completely surrounded when going down the wings with no forward/ sideways out ball. No overlapping centre backs. When we did very slowly work a crossing opportunity we had no aerial threat in their box. Brewster a passenger as usual. Our ridiculous absence of goal threat exposed once again. We’ve gone down because we haven’t scored enough goals. We keep trying a system that hasn’t worked since Christmas 2019 due to other teams working out how to stop us breaking quickly down the wingsand it’s reliance on the absent JOC/ Bash. Why does anyone imagine that champion ship teams won’t do the same, probably against a weakened Blades squad?
^ this 100% ^

pommpey

Watched from just after half time, thought we were much better pressing and Osborn was trying hard to link up the play further up the pitch and bring others in and to an extent they responded. This carried on for a bit after they scored. Then because he bought Mousset and Burke on the pictures were still on the screen but I was mentally somewhere else.

I watched the game out of loyalty to our club
The joy of seeing lunscunt not pulling on our colours dulled the pain somewhat
I thought our team from last season would have torn through this surprisingly poor wolves team
First half both teams weren’t very good , there one header , and poor ref brightened up a dull game
Second half I thought we were slightly the better team but without scoring , no surprise there then
What was the point of Ramsdale getting the ball and rolling it out early when midfielders / attackers stopped , turned inside and passed it back , at opposition corners I’d still prefer one of our attackers to stay in midfield, it takes out 2 opposing players straight away and gives us an out from a set play
Before they scored I texted a mate and said were in danger of winning this game if were not careful
We’re down now so we should use the rest of our season as pre season games
Play the team that’s going to play next season
I think we could lose between 2-5 players sold
Berge-Baldock-Egan-Joc ( his injury may put off people to jan ) could all go
Along with Rodwell -Jags- lunscunt-Ampadu all gone as well , we’ll need to play our pre season now and get used to our game plan now !
Aren’t you allowed 5 loans ? From the premier league as well in the champs
We need in my opinion 1 at the back 2 in the middle and 2 up top , I’d take Deeney and that ex pig from Reading if they became available with our premier ship money , our parachute payments and our name from being a premiership club theirs no reason for us not to get a good solid team together of loans and cheepish buys
good work pomppey
Keep up the good work
UTB

As I did with the OP, I'll respectfully disagree.

I know we are low on quality, but that is relevant to the level we are at. As you say, we will undoubtedly sell Berge this summer, and thanks to his potential, and relative lack of game time for us (combined with the pandemic-related issues) we will probably recoup most, if not all of what we paid for him (or even a bit more). So on that score, no harm, no foul.

As to the rest of our squad, McBurnie for one has a solid track record in the championship. We will hopefully not lose JOC due to his injury, although Egan will probably have suitors in the lower half of the prem who may sway him with wages that we can't match.

Lundstram will be gone, thank fuck.

Honestly, I don't understand the mindset that we are going to struggle and maybe even go down next season. Yes, we are woefully short of premier league quality, but that in no way means that we are short of players who are capable of having a good season a level down. McBurnie has scored goals in the Champ, as has Brewster (briefly). We've a squad full of players that won promotion from that division 2 years ago. They're not all suddenly dogshit at any level just because they've been exposed in the toughest league on the planet.

I'm not saying I think we'll do a Norwich. I don't, for what it's worth. But I think we will probably be comfortable in mid table, and maybe have a punt towards the playoffs, with the squad we have, plus maybe one or two shrewd acquisitions (particularly in midfield).

UTB.
I've seen a lot of people on here saying that because McBurnie and Brewster had a good season in the Championship ,that once back there they will score goals .
Why?
It could just as easily have been a once off.
Both strikers have shown little inclination to score,I would have thought that they would have shown something if they had any skill on that side.
Also don't buy the argument that it's United midfield that have not created chances,mostly true but a good striker would create some on their own.Not seen any of that.
Finally ,even outside the United environment with Scotland and England u-21,these 2 have shown very little.

Between now and the next match we need to get Lundstram and Mousset in and tell them to pack their things and not return to the club. Replace them with the best young prospects we have in the first team squad until the end of the season

For Lundstram it is quite straightforward - he can focus on getting the big money move he wants. For Mousset, frustratingly we have to pay this fraud for another year, but I’d make him a 50% of contract severance offer. I doubt he’d take it though, because this will be his last contract as a footballer. I’d let him go back to France and just take the financial hit on the chin.

We were a bit better yesterday but only because we started with 11 tryer's on the pitch and Lundstram on the bench. Looked to me like we started 3-5-2 cum 3-4-1-2. Why the fuck do we persist with Ampadu in a back 3 he will never make a CB, same owd, same owd. Wolves looked a shadow of last seasons team but still managed to control the first half of a drab game, looked like a typical end of season nothing to play for dead rubber. 2nd half we looked to take the game to them but in true United fashion we shot ourselves in the foot. we create a golden chance but rather than lash the ball into the net like last season v Brighton Enda hits it low for it to be blocked by a sliding in defender 10 seconds later Ramsdale is picking it out of our net. Kean Bryan has a brain fart when there is little danger and attacks a ball leaving a huge gap down our left for Adama to run into, the one player you don't want to be 1v1 game over ....................... season over thank god.
It is all about the rebuild for next season now and that needs to start asap, I really hope we are not waiting around until June or I fear the worst. We need a clear out of the crap and the malingerers we have decent young players who need a few good solid pro's around them. Too many 5-6 rated performances yesterday quality wise, on that showing losing 6-7 of that team would be no huge loss. The only silver lining on the horizon is we could see the pigs relegated on Tuesday night too depending on results.

As accurate report as you could find, "borefest" was the right word, it just summed up the whole game really.
The only reason we looked half descent is because Wolves were nearly as bad as we were.

Osborn looked descent, Ramm'y looks a quality signing.

Why aren't we playing Bogle and Lowe ??

Was the new manager watching?? some looked as though they were playing for a place next season, the commentators also allude to it - just wondering ??

I've seen a lot of people on here saying that because McBurnie and Brewster had a good season in the Championship ,that once back there they will score goals .
Why?
It could just as easily have been a once off.
Both strikers have shown little inclination to score,I would have thought that they would have shown something if they had any skill on that side.
Also don't buy the argument that it's United midfield that have not created chances,mostly true but a good striker would create some on their own.Not seen any of that.
Finally ,even outside the United environment with Scotland and England u-21,these 2 have shown very little.

Totally agree. The notion of us not creating chances is a valid one but they never seem to be in the right place even when crosses/balls come through. To say both had that one (half in Brewster's case) season of scoring for fun in the Champ, they do not even look like strikers. As you say when do they create something themselves or pressure defenders into mistakes. The point about them looking equally as un-threatening for their country sides is valid as well - to the point where both have been taken out of their respective sides.

I am just not convinced they are going to score freely. These two lads have played a fair bit and they have scored 1 goal - ONE goal. The idea that we are playing such dreadful sides that they are suddenly going to score loads I do not get at all. I think if they carry on current form even at the lower level, I do not see lots of goals. Both lads (and the other strikers) have to work much harder and anticipate/read things much more. Even from things like corners and free kicks (yes they have been bad) they never look like getting on the end of things. I do not think any of our strikers look remotely dangerous. Even with a change to system/formation then do we see these lads suddenly getting 10-15 goals each as some are saying?

Hope I am wrong but after a season of nothingness from 6 strikers save a few pens from Billy and some decent moments from McGoldrick; they are going to have almost come back with a completely different mindset/game - where they run more, link more, pressure more, get closer together, anticipate, get in front of defenders - not sure any save Didzy (often outside of the box sadly) are going to suddenly just have these characteristics out of nowhere?

Totally agree. The notion of us not creating chances is a valid one but they never seem to be in the right place even when crosses/balls come through. To say both had that one (half in Brewster's case) season of scoring for fun in the Champ, they do not even look like strikers. As you say when do they create something themselves or pressure defenders into mistakes. The point about them looking equally as un-threatening for their country sides is valid as well - to the point where both have been taken out of their respective sides.

I am just not convinced they are going to score freely. These two lads have played a fair bit and they have scored 1 goal - ONE goal. The idea that we are playing such dreadful sides that they are suddenly going to score loads I do not get at all. I think if they carry on current form even at the lower level, I do not see lots of goals. Both lads (and the other strikers) have to work much harder and anticipate/read things much more. Even from things like corners and free kicks (yes they have been bad) they never look like getting on the end of things. I do not think any of our strikers look remotely dangerous. Even with a change to system/formation then do we see these lads suddenly getting 10-15 goals each as some are saying?

Hope I am wrong but after a season of nothingness from 6 strikers save a few pens from Billy and some decent moments from McGoldrick; they are going to have almost come back with a completely different mindset/game - where they run more, link more, pressure more, get closer together, anticipate, get in front of defenders - not sure any save Didzy (often outside of the box sadly) are going to suddenly just have these characteristics out of nowhere?

Yeah I agree, why would people expect Brewster and McBurnie to get 20 goals next season. This is just based on a past season. Do the Championship have a different pitch to the PL which gives them more access to the ball. Doesnt matter whether you in PL or Championship if you dont get creative and dont get the service you dont score. Play the same way we just did and they might have more chance of getting 20 goals in League 1 in over a years time !

Of all the reasons Chris Wilder may have had, for wanting to resign, I am starting to think that Brewster could be the main one. Such a lot of money paid for "potential".

The kid has a hell of a powerful shot on him, but very rarely shows it.

As for the game itself, we gave it a much better go, in my opinion, than recent weeks. Yet another game with no goals scored though.

Next season may be a lot tougher than people think.

Cheers, shipmate - just six more to go. I think I prefer root canal surgery! They are truly awful.

Back
Top Bottom