My final Take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

well done in getting promoted and proving me wrong United - I thought we were going to blow it. So many lacklustre performances with isolated strikers for long periods. Bottom half of prem league looks ominously tight but I’ll still be treking over the penines glad to be involved in footballs main event. Thanks for your reports Pommpey which I usually agree with and always enjoy.UTMFB ⚔️
Bottom line is that Heckingbottom has not only improved the impact of our best player, Ndiaye, by his management and that of McCall and player development man, Lester, but also he's ridden the storm of countless inexplicably complicated injuries and the almost omnipresent 'illness', which in many cases remain a mystery. The ownership fiasco, the presence of one reliable goalscorer, two players who produce magic regularly, then Anel and Berge who both do magic occasionally. Heckingbottom managed all that, and bottom line is, beat the team that lies in front of you. And United did. 🤣😍

Bottom line is that Heckingbottom has not only improved the impact of our best player, Ndiaye, by his management and that of McCall and player development man, Lester, but also he's ridden the storm of countless inexplicably complicated injuries and the almost omnipresent 'illness', which in many cases remain a mystery. The ownership fiasco, the presence of one reliable goalscorer, two players who produce magic regularly, then Anel and Berge who both do magic occasionally. Heckingbottom managed all that, and bottom line is, beat the team that lies in front of you. And United did. 🤣😍
Fair enough comments about what Hecky has had to deal with and has done so with great success. it remains my impression that we look like a car working hard on three cylinders to get there. Midfield has been underperforming with Norwood erratic, Fleck off the pace, Berge disappearing, Mcatee a bit inconsistent. Doyle’s emergence in last third of season been a major bright spot but while everything is up in the air about the midfield squad it’s difficult not to have concerns about next season. Which I’m determined to enjoy in any case !

Nice report not only on this game , but throughout the season Pomps
While I have disagreed with you slightly over some of your more , ahem choice descriptions
I can’t fault most of what you’ve described
I think sentiment has to be taken out of the choice of who we keep - let go
Fleck -Stevens-JOC -Billy need to be thanked for there service , and remembered for the times they’ve given us
Sander is winding down his contract to leave for nowt
Illy will probably be sold ( a necessary evil ) but we need top dollar for him and I think now our club don’t sell so easily
I could go into who I think we should try & get to improve our team / squad but will leave that for another thread
Cheers Pomp’s
UTB

Fair enough comments about what Hecky has had to deal with and has done so with great success. it remains my impression that we look like a car working hard on three cylinders to get there. Midfield has been underperforming with Norwood erratic, Fleck off the pace, Berge disappearing, Mcatee a bit inconsistent. Doyle’s emergence in last third of season been a major bright spot but while everything is up in the air about the midfield squad it’s difficult not to have concerns about next season. Which I’m determined to enjoy in any case !
Agreed that the midfield has been a cause for concern, so slow, ponderous, reluctant to support the attackers etc. Shows how bad the rest of the division actually are really.

Many thanks Pommpey for your My Takes this season. First thing I look for after every match.
Always incisive. Always an honest view. Often ammusing . Often contraversial. Great writing style. Love your phraseology (is there such a thing?)
Look forward to seeing more of the same next season.
10/10. Magnificent brown nosing.

My Take, Deadbat,View From,Bladesman highlights these are the things that keep this forum alive.
Pommpey in the main sees it as it is and is pretty accurate surprised at him getting into a spat with Silent though.

Pommpey in the main sees it as it is and is pretty accurate surprised at him getting into a spat with Silent though.
I'm sure even pommpey would agree that he can be quite ascerbic, especially when he's been baited. Something has obviously gone on in the past between these two characters but I don't see why the rest of the forum should have to suffer for it. Why can't they put each other on ignore, or better still private message each other and sort out their differences as mature individuals? Who knows, there could even be apologies exchanged. ;)

I'm sure even pommpey would agree that he can be quite ascerbic, especially when he's been baited. Something has obviously gone on in the past between these two characters but I don't see why the rest of the forum should have to suffer for it. Why can't they put each other on ignore, or better still private message each other and sort out their differences as mature individuals? Who knows, there could even be apologies exchanged. ;)
Pommpey reacts when posters have a go that’s how it is not change.

Pommpey reacts when posters have a go that’s how it is not change.
Too many folk having a go/reacting at the moment which is stupid when we're going up and the Oinkers (probably) aren't. Have to be better ways to pass time until next season. :(

Too many folk having a go/reacting at the moment which is stupid when we're going up and the Oinkers (probably) aren't. Have to be better ways to pass time until next season. :(

Question:

Why did Silent choose to post in this thread about the amount of games I have attended this season?

If your answer is 'because he was baiting you', then you need to switch off your judgements of me and concentrate on him.

pommpey

Pommps,

As someone who lives too far away to go too see United (it's a 2h30mn flight for me), I just want to say how I really appreciate you're "My Takes". They are excellent. From my perspective, they absolutely compliment the report that we all read on the BBC Sport pages with a proper "fans report". Best of all they are to the point, they are controversial, JLT is now a hero, all the players are given and described as a character!

If I can make one observation (for next season), it is about the layout of your 0-10s out of ten.

You have them like this: "Berge 6/10: Turned it on in spells..."

What about if you put the 6/10 at the end of your comment, so...

Osula: Good game if somewhat wasteful at times. One to watch and possibly to loan out next season 7/10
Berge: Turned it on in spells and looked 'nesh in others and wasted a pearler of a chance. We did look better with him on the pitch though. Face it, we're keeping him because no fucker will buy him. 6/10

I think then, we read and better understand the balance of your argument/opinion...

Anyway all the best, with regards, and enjoy the cricket. It's the Ashes isn't it?

Question:

Why did Silent choose to post in this thread about the amount of games I have attended this season?

If your answer is 'because he was baiting you', then you need to switch off your judgements of me and concentrate on him.

pommpey
One problem I have is that I don't really like you and although I've never met you 'in real life', I've had enough personal negative interaction with you on the forum in the past and seen how you deal with others ie acerbically, to think that the basis of my opinion is not without foundation. Despite that, if I think another member seems to have deliberately baited you, then you'll find me 'on your side' in the related thread(s). If this hasn't come over in what I've recently posted plus my 'likes' then I'm a bit suprised. Yes I too am baffled that Silent chose to initially post as he did (following it up with nibbles in later posts on another thread. Why he chose to do this, maybe only he knows and he's certainly not telling us. It could well be that you two have a history of which I'm unaware and here we come to the nitty-gritty of your post. Do you seriously expect me or anybody else to go back over the interactions of both of you to establish 'who started this'? Firstly you're both supposed to be adults and so should be able to sort yourselves out. Secondly this is reasonably lighthearted football forum (or it's supposed to be) not a meeting of the bleeding UN General Assembly. Thirdly, I was referring to the Forum as a whole, because there are other 'orrible things going on, (return of Fallowfield etc :p ) not just your little tiff with Silent. My apologies to everyone bored silly with this post. I know I am. Life's too short. :tumbleweed:

Love the write thanks Pommpey. Often disagree with your marks (particularly on Berge) but that doesn't mean my opinion is the correct one.

Question:

pommpey
He can answer for himself, of course, but maybe it’s because you are quite forthright, and at times downright nasty and personally insulting towards posters,who have a different view to yours. Your comments about some of the players are also pretty personal at times.
Not a problem for myself, as I’m big enough to take it, and give it, when I feel like it.I’ve been known to give you a bit of a wind up myself at times
You don’t go to the games, because you live so far away and have other commitments, that’s clear and understandable.It doesn’t make you any less of a Blade for that.Your views are therefore based on tv coverage, also fair enough, but, maybe an acknowledgement that sometimes that may cause you to underestimate the effort sweat, and running off the ball the players do, may help you understand his post.Some of us who are there often wonder if we’ve been seeing the same player/game as you.
I certainly acknowledge that when I get home and watch the game on tv there are things that I miss, whilst at the game.So, not saying that one is better than the other, just that the way you watch it can skew your opinions at times, which is worth having a think about, without getting so touchy about it, when people either point it out or wind you up about it.I’ve done both in the past
You’re a great poster, and I’ve said before that your contribution to this forum is immense, and, always worth reading, even if the way you say it, is not to my particular taste at times.Long may it continue, wherever, you watch the game.

One problem I have is that I don't really like you and although I've never met you 'in real life',

This is a good start ...

I've had enough personal negative interaction with you on the forum in the past and seen how you deal with others ie acerbically, to think that the basis of my opinion is not without foundation.

Ever tried to figure out why? Have you turned a debate into a personal pop? Given your first sentence, it seems you already have your mind made up, so what chance do I have?

Despite that, if I think another member seems to have deliberately baited you, then you'll find me 'on your side' in the related thread(s).

Oh, great.

If this hasn't come over in what I've recently posted plus my 'likes' then I'm a bit suprised.

'Likes'? I thought you didn't like me? I'm confused now.

Yes I too am baffled that Silent chose to initially post as he did (following it up with nibbles in later posts on another thread.

Okay ...

Why he chose to do this, maybe only he knows and he's certainly not telling us.

Gwan. Have a fucking guess. I dare ya.

It could well be that you two have a history of which I'm unaware and here we come to the nitty-gritty of your post.

Can't honestly ever think of anything in the past fifteen to twenty years me and him have been orbiting around Blades forums which has ever come to this. FYI - I have always respected his high levels of Blades knowledge and dedication. He was always on had to come up with precise detail on team, match, player info at the drop of a hat. Takes some doing does that. And his disability is something we Blades take absolutely for granted. Another level of respect. But lately he has lost patience with me for whatever reason and he's now disappointingly ploughing a hackneyed Billy Big Blade line trying to belittle me simply because of games I have attended. Whilst that fact slides off my thick hide, the unexplained switch to dislike mode can't go without response. I have never, ever criticised any of his posts, yet now he's down on mine. Why?
All I do is write up matches I watch at home (or rarely, in person). What's his fucking problem?

Do you seriously expect me or anybody else to go back over the interactions of both of you to establish 'who started this'?

Well, yes. If you are beaking into this on a horse so high you find yourself struggling for oxygen. Go arm yourself with some perspective. It might help you, me and maybe Silent

Firstly you're both supposed to be adults and so should be able to sort yourselves out.

Gosh dad. Really sorry. Can you message Silent with the same parental guidance please? Ta.

Secondly this is reasonably lighthearted football forum (or it's supposed to be) not a meeting of the bleeding UN General Assembly.

I agree. So if you'd go tell Silent that as well, I think the Peace Prize might be in the post real soon.

Thirdly, I was referring to the Forum as a whole, because there are other 'orrible things going on, (return of Fallowfield etc :p ) not just your little tiff with Silent.

Great

My apologies to everyone bored silly with this post. I know I am. Life's too short. :tumbleweed:

Yeah. Precisely.

pommpey

He can answer for himself, of course, but maybe it’s because you are quite forthright, and at times downright nasty and personally insulting towards posters,who have a different view to yours. Your comments about some of the players are also pretty personal at times.

What's it to you? Do you have personal opinions about, say Boris Johnson or Donald Trump? I bet they're pretty personal. What say I support them and I find your comments on here hurty and nasty? Do I expect you to change your opinion or stop being blummen cruel? See also other posters. Are there any relatives amongst them? Can they not also 'answer for themselves' as you attest without you periodically coming along like genital warts to defend their honour and integrity? Why are you bothered about how I speak with and to them?

Not a problem for myself, as I’m big enough to take it, and give it, when I feel like it.

Clearly, not.

I’ve been known to give you a bit of a wind up myself at times

Why? Are you not the root cause then of all this bickering shit?

You don’t go to the games, because you live so far away and have other commitments, that’s clear and understandable.

Great. If you could just let Silent know that, I'll be grateful. Off you go ...

It doesn’t make you any less of a Blade for that.

Great. If you could just let Silent know that, I'll be grateful. Off you go ...

Your views are therefore based on tv coverage, also fair enough, but, maybe an acknowledgement that sometimes that may cause you to underestimate the effort sweat, and running off the ball the players do, may help you understand his post.

Nice try. Much of the critique comes from the deep seated resentment of me giving varying marks out of ten which differs from people who have sat in the ground. How DARE I? Those sat in the stadium have a far better perspective. It's not simple disagreement, it's the offence taken on behalf of players I have criticised on my own view. It's why it is called 'My take ...' but I don't see many of the wounded souls offering their own versions of events though. It's the shocked affront they hold that what they saw is different to what I saw. Note, those who do detail why they disagree, get a 'like' in their responses. I welcome that. I may still disagree of maybe I may rethink my opinion. Either way it's better than 'you talk out of your arse, you weren't sat at the back of the kop so shut the fuck up'. And that's the nicer ones. Some others have been downright cunty and rightfully received a response. Asking how many games I have attended in a matchday review post is somewhat cunty, as many have observed and poor form for Silent who I feel is better than that. Or has been in the past.

Some of us who are there often wonder if we’ve been seeing the same player/game as you.

Great. Disagree respectfully and tell me why. You've said yourself 'I’ve been known to give you a bit of a wind up myself at times'. Why? Is it because you lack the articulation to explain why you disagree? Are you really that limited? Whose dick are you oiling when you 'have been known to give you a bit of a wind up myself at times'? What outcome does it serve? Or is it just an itch you have to scratch? If my posts are so disagreeable and offensive, why fucking read them?

I certainly acknowledge that when I get home and watch the game on tv there are things that I miss, whilst at the game.

I'll agree with that. So why support the 'you weren't at the game' narrative?

So, not saying that one is better than the other, just that the way you watch it can skew your opinions at times, which is worth having a think about, without getting so touchy about it, when people either point it out or wind you up about it.

Well, no. I disagree. If they see it differently, then fucking say so and why. This is S24SU, not Bladesmad. If you take the time to press reply, debate the game, not me or how I saw the game. There has just been 90 minutes of 11 v 11 going on and people are far more interested in where my arse was parked than the gains and losses of what we ALL just watched. That is why it pisses me off when every fucking conversation (like this) turns into 'pommpey' and then other no-marks use the term 'narcissist' when it isn't me who has turned the conversation into 'me'.

I’ve done both in the past

Tremendous. You must be so fucking pleased with yourself. And people call me a fucking narcissist.

You’re a great poster, and I’ve said before that your contribution to this forum is immense, and, always worth reading, even if the way you say it, is not to my particular taste at times.

Fine. Then scroll past.

Long may it continue, wherever, you watch the game.

It will. The more people come at me, the more resolute I feel about posting more.

pommpey

Well, I tried!
Best wishes, and enjoy your close season Pompey.

No. What you did was wrap your bad intent in a thin wrapper of critique wrapped in an even thinner wrapper of good intent. When the music stops ...

Look, next time we converse, why not give it a go that you're not intent on 'winding me up' and you're simply contributing to a debate I am involved in? Might work that, you know.

pommpey

we all have opinions , some differ quite wildly
pompey like others has his preferred players and dislikes a few
apart from letting these preconceived ideas affect his match ratings to a degree hes pretty fair
Some of the low marks are a bit harsh at times, but he never openly disparages the effort put in ,
We got up with a record number of points for us in this division and we can celebrate that , but some dont
We had it called a disappointing promotion by some . still doesnt collate into a possible outcome . any team that wins promotion its
impossible to be a disappointment,At least Pompey is appreciative of the big picture , its hard work achieving a promotion

the whole clubs pulled together in a joint effort , manager coaches players and fans
to not celebrate or feel underwhelmed is wasting one of the good times as a fan

pompey like others has his preferred players and dislikes a few

I don't 'dislike' players B2L. I just mark them on what I saw in the match. I still don't think Berge is deserved of his wide lauding by many fans. I think his overall contribution is moderate to poor over the season. And he has been injured for a long time whilst at Bramall Lane. Norwood is now showing his limitations now we have a midfield grafter like Doyle. Before Doyle arrived however and when Norwood was unchallenged for his CDM position, you couldn't say a bad word about his clear limitations for fear of being flamed to a crisp, with tropes like 'he makes the team tick' and all sort of gash Sky generated 'stats' to look at and gasp. It didn't show any of the fucked up dispossessions and negative sideways passes or the fact that he'd worn the turf bare in one spot inside the centre circle or traffic coned himself being completely outplayed in the engine room of the team.

apart from letting these preconceived ideas affect his match ratings to a degree hes pretty fair

They aren't preconceived ideas. I have in the past give Norwood and Berge high marks, in fairness only when the opposition have allowed them enough space to do their stuff. Everyone starts on a 5/10 for me.

pommpey

Thanks for all your write ups Pommpey. I don't always agree but that's the point- it creates debate about players/games. You always describe things in such an entertaining way and this board would be much duller without these 'My takes!'.

Thanks for all your write ups Pommpey. I don't always agree but that's the point- it creates debate about players/games. You always describe things in such an entertaining way and this board would be much duller without these 'My takes!'.

Likewise yours and Roys contributions. You and I have differing approaches to writeups - yours is detailed, defragmented and journalistic, mine is more 'bloke in the pub'. And then Roy's look over the fence gives everyone the 360 on what just happened in the ninety minutes from all angles. All of which should provide enough to discuss and debate the match and disagree, but with respect. What it shouldn't do is cuntify the operation. I respect anyone who disagrees, as long as they disagree with the football and my opinion on it and don't try to turn it into a dick waving contest. And its good that yours and mine marks out of are varied. I trust your marks from the ground because you have taken the time to show why, rather that 'you talk out of your arse mate' bullshit.

Anyroad ... the high ground awaits us, once again ...

Have a good summer mate

pommpey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom