My final Take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks as always pommpey
Appreciate all your energy and enthusiasm in ‘my take’
I look forward to seeing the PL Versions next season
Have a great summer!!

Pretty standard win for us to cap a pleasing season with us promoted automatically with 91 lovely points. Bit of a demo game with some farewells we think. Birmingham are pretty hopeless although the first half showed us to be matched in most areas with no real answers in a 'never our strongest lineup'. Starts for Fleck, Basham and Stevens tells us more than Hecky can in that this is possibly their last game in red-and-white, although all three didn't disgrace themselves. A goal at last from McBurnie in a proper centre forward position and our golden boy forcing the second meant the second half switch-on which is typical of Hecky recently saw us comfortable but a really typical response from Birmingham saw them put put pressure on our lead.

Have to say though that were we even playing any of the three sat in the PL relegation zone today we'd have been beaten. Our weaknesses are clearly evident and if we fail to sign Doyle and McAtee this summer (or similar) we are in fucking trouble. Its enough to raise a glass to our anointment to upstairs but it is totally reasonable to scrutinise what we need to do to stay there. And we will be bringing Burnley and another club with us, who if they spend wisely will endure.

Davies 5/10: Not good enough for the PL. The bloke was a bombscare today from crosses to kicking
Baldock 6/10: Good game up to his injury. We'll need him next season
Basham 7/10: Involved and bar a few mistakes, is able to carry the ball more metres up the pitch than any of our other players. Great assist for McBurnie's goal. Think he's a gonner, though.
Egan 6.5/10: Solid stuff dealing with Jukewitz and Khadra. A bit asleep for their goal. We'll still have him next season
Robinson 7/10: Same fayre from Robbo. Robust and solid. Keep.
Stevens 7/10: Had a decent game if struggling with pace. Defended well and unlucky with an early effort. Twist.
Doyle 8/10: Defending as part of a 'box' midfield up to Baldock's injury and RM after that but ran himself ragged. BUY THIS PLAYER!
Fleck 7/10: Industrious and busy if a but lumpen these days. Still got involved a lot more with Doyle alongside him. Cheers Jimmy
McAtee 6/10: A bit anonymous at times if an inherent threat playing alongside NDaiye which is where his goal came from. Shit mesen when footballers do the acrobatics. BUY HIM TOO
NDaiye 8/10: Always a menace and never lets a lost ball stay lost. Great on and off the ball. If United sell him they are taking the piss
McBurnie 5/10: Gains a point from what his actual score was. I just don't see anything redeeming about him apart from odd spots where he pops up and sticks in two out of ten chances he gets. Ta-ra. There are better options.

Sharp 6/10: Shame he never got his goal despite ripping into Osula time and time again. Looked determined to get summat even though he was being pulled all over the shop. Thanks Billy. You've been great for the club.
Osula 7/10: Good game if somewhat wasteful at times. One to watch and possibly to loan out next season
Berge 6/10: Turned it on in spells and looked nesh in others and wasted a pearler of a chance. We did look better with him on the pitch though. Face it, we're keeping him because no fucker willl buy him
Buyabu 6/10: First touch was a winning header and looks leggy and quick. Good run on to their box later on. Loan him out to develop
Norwood 5/10: Fancy arsed flicks and daft balls into space. Sez it all. I'd like to think we are exploring better options next season but we have wasted too much time trying to squeeze brandy out of this lemon when really we should have been bringing on the likes of Arblaster and Coulibally. I hope we dispatch him and move on from Wilderball

All in all, a roller coaster of a season ending with a big loop and a watersplash at the end. The secret was fine margins and consistency. Fine margins in winning some games using more effort than we should and being ponderous and sometimes too careful in our approach and not having any real link between midfield and up from. Consistency in that even with us looking bobbar at nil-nil HT, like today, Hecky managed to inject enough spirit to go out and get the win in the second 45 looking half a notch better and more hungrier to get the win. It's happened against big clubs and small clubs and we have made a mark at doing it. Some pf the playing staff and areas of the pitch have been questionable, our propensity early doors to be victims to serial injuries hampered our progress but ... what I like is that HJ&SMcC instilled a 'never say die' attitude even when we were playing like cunts on the hour at Bramall Lane and we just needed to switch things fractionally and go on the hunt for the win. It is what has got us into second, got us through a few flat spots and given us the extra legs to hold the chasing pack back whilst it was they who simply ran out of steam. Now we can watch them fight this out as we did last season and prepare ourselves for what will definitely not be like our last first season up a few years ago. We have to prepare to be adaptable, change momentum, stop the endless passing about the backline and get the ball up the pitch at people's feet and crack it from range, on target. It's what the likes of Wolves, Brighton, Brentford and other wannabes are doing right now and Wilderball it is definitely not.

Hearty congratulations to the players, the staff and the club and massive best wishes to everyone on here, friend or foe. United are up and deservedly so.

Now the hard work really begins.

Strap yourselves in.

pommpey
Don't always agree with your TAKE , but love to read them and find them interesting. Thanks.

Thanks for your summing up as always pommpey, enjoy the summer and up the Blades

Watching the athleticism of Forest tonight - wow. If that's what you need to get 30+ points in the PL, Tom Little had better be preparing the Summer Training Camps of all training camps!!

Love your point about Arblaster and Coulibally. Those two and Jebbison really have been under-used this season and would be my one criticism of Hecky. All the minutes Sharp, Fleck and Norwood have had should have been given to the aforementioned. No excuses.

Pretty standard win for us to cap a pleasing season with us promoted automatically with 91 lovely points. Bit of a demo game with some farewells we think. Birmingham are pretty hopeless although the first half showed us to be matched in most areas with no real answers in a 'never our strongest lineup'. Starts for Fleck, Basham and Stevens tells us more than Hecky can in that this is possibly their last game in red-and-white, although all three didn't disgrace themselves. A goal at last from McBurnie in a proper centre forward position and our golden boy forcing the second meant the second half switch-on which is typical of Hecky recently saw us comfortable but a really typical response from Birmingham saw them put put pressure on our lead.

Have to say though that were we even playing any of the three sat in the PL relegation zone today we'd have been beaten. Our weaknesses are clearly evident and if we fail to sign Doyle and McAtee this summer (or similar) we are in fucking trouble. Its enough to raise a glass to our anointment to upstairs but it is totally reasonable to scrutinise what we need to do to stay there. And we will be bringing Burnley and another club with us, who if they spend wisely will endure.

Davies 5/10: Not good enough for the PL. The bloke was a bombscare today from crosses to kicking
Baldock 6/10: Good game up to his injury. We'll need him next season
Basham 7/10: Involved and bar a few mistakes, is able to carry the ball more metres up the pitch than any of our other players. Great assist for McBurnie's goal. Think he's a gonner, though.
Egan 6.5/10: Solid stuff dealing with Jukewitz and Khadra. A bit asleep for their goal. We'll still have him next season
Robinson 7/10: Same fayre from Robbo. Robust and solid. Keep.
Stevens 7/10: Had a decent game if struggling with pace. Defended well and unlucky with an early effort. Twist.
Doyle 8/10: Defending as part of a 'box' midfield up to Baldock's injury and RM after that but ran himself ragged. BUY THIS PLAYER!
Fleck 7/10: Industrious and busy if a but lumpen these days. Still got involved a lot more with Doyle alongside him. Cheers Jimmy
McAtee 6/10: A bit anonymous at times if an inherent threat playing alongside NDaiye which is where his goal came from. Shit mesen when footballers do the acrobatics. BUY HIM TOO
NDaiye 8/10: Always a menace and never lets a lost ball stay lost. Great on and off the ball. If United sell him they are taking the piss
McBurnie 5/10: Gains a point from what his actual score was. I just don't see anything redeeming about him apart from odd spots where he pops up and sticks in two out of ten chances he gets. Ta-ra. There are better options.

Sharp 6/10: Shame he never got his goal despite ripping into Osula time and time again. Looked determined to get summat even though he was being pulled all over the shop. Thanks Billy. You've been great for the club.
Osula 7/10: Good game if somewhat wasteful at times. One to watch and possibly to loan out next season
Berge 6/10: Turned it on in spells and looked nesh in others and wasted a pearler of a chance. We did look better with him on the pitch though. Face it, we're keeping him because no fucker willl buy him
Buyabu 6/10: First touch was a winning header and looks leggy and quick. Good run on to their box later on. Loan him out to develop
Norwood 5/10: Fancy arsed flicks and daft balls into space. Sez it all. I'd like to think we are exploring better options next season but we have wasted too much time trying to squeeze brandy out of this lemon when really we should have been bringing on the likes of Arblaster and Coulibally. I hope we dispatch him and move on from Wilderball

All in all, a roller coaster of a season ending with a big loop and a watersplash at the end. The secret was fine margins and consistency. Fine margins in winning some games using more effort than we should and being ponderous and sometimes too careful in our approach and not having any real link between midfield and up from. Consistency in that even with us looking bobbar at nil-nil HT, like today, Hecky managed to inject enough spirit to go out and get the win in the second 45 looking half a notch better and more hungrier to get the win. It's happened against big clubs and small clubs and we have made a mark at doing it. Some pf the playing staff and areas of the pitch have been questionable, our propensity early doors to be victims to serial injuries hampered our progress but ... what I like is that HJ&SMcC instilled a 'never say die' attitude even when we were playing like cunts on the hour at Bramall Lane and we just needed to switch things fractionally and go on the hunt for the win. It is what has got us into second, got us through a few flat spots and given us the extra legs to hold the chasing pack back whilst it was they who simply ran out of steam. Now we can watch them fight this out as we did last season and prepare ourselves for what will definitely not be like our last first season up a few years ago. We have to prepare to be adaptable, change momentum, stop the endless passing about the backline and get the ball up the pitch at people's feet and crack it from range, on target. It's what the likes of Wolves, Brighton, Brentford and other wannabes are doing right now and Wilderball it is definitely not.

Hearty congratulations to the players, the staff and the club and massive best wishes to everyone on here, friend or foe. United are up and deservedly so.

Now the hard work really begins.

Strap yourselves in.

pommpey
As ever, I agree with some and disagree with the rest. Such is life. Have a good summer.

Job done today & a great season ..good to finish on a winning note , could have scored double figures but was academic & with all the changes/subs allowed a few to turn out for what might be their swan song . Crackin support from the lads , all in all a good sign off ⚔️⚔️⚔️

Cheers Pomp’s I always enjoy your reviews @ enjoy your summer .

Take care all & UTB ⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️

Great report Pommpey we must keep hold of our best players and try and sign some good uns. Thanks, Pommpey for all the reports this season. Have a great summer. see you in August.

Many thanks pommpey for yet another amusing yet insightful summary of events which I always enjoy , having made suitable allowances for the poetic licence involved .

Keep up the good work next season and have a good summer .

Yep. Whilst everyone else is high-fiving and glad we finished with a flourish, you are ploughing a deep furrow in the Billy Big fucking Blade field of potatoes. As I have said before, you used to be a decent fellow to have around these boards Silent. I've known of you for years. But since your ovaries dried up you've been a bit intolerable. You can take HRT for that shit you know.

pommpey

well done in getting promoted and proving me wrong United - I thought we were going to blow it. So many lacklustre performances with isolated strikers for long periods. Bottom half of prem league looks ominously tight but I’ll still be treking over the penines glad to be involved in footballs main event. Thanks for your reports Pommpey which I usually agree with and always enjoy.UTMFB ⚔️

I look forward to them all being called wankers next season

I look forward to them all being called wankers next season

Good.

Can't recall calling them all wankers this season, but if that's how you view 'My Take ... ' then I can't help you.

Maybe you need to start your own review of the game to give it some balance?

pommpey

Cant wait for next season when we play The Blades Battleships Game.

Which vessel will your money be on.

Frigate
Destroyer
Minesweeper
Submarine
Aircraft Carrier
Battleship
Motor Torpedo Boat
Small Boat Dingy
Cruiser

Great report, love reading it for the humour.
Really harsh on Berge, dare I say this! but I think somebody will buy him, (he would fit into Arsenals squad with their style of play and Arteta would improve him),, anyway I think he will be a better player than Ndaiye, there I've said it!!

Have a great summer, and like you said "strap yourselves in" it's going to be some ride next season!

Many thanks Pommpey for your My Takes this season. First thing I look for after every match.
Always incisive. Always an honest view. Often ammusing . Often contraversial. Great writing style. Love your phraseology (is there such a thing?)
Look forward to seeing more of the same next season.

Cheers pommpey , you venture to watch where I daren’t, cowardy custard that I am. Norwood’s been a strange one this season. First half of the season he was in every “ experts” first eleven of the Championship then seemed to stutter. A bit like the fable of the Emperor’s new clothes, his ‘ mystique’ ( Hollywood passes) seemed to disappear and we were left with a liability. A most infuriating player who gave the ball away at crucial times.

Didn’t notice your mark for Berge, (must read again)

Anyway have a good summer.

Cheers

well done in getting promoted and proving me wrong United - I thought we were going to blow it. So many lacklustre performances with isolated strikers for long periods. Bottom half of prem league looks ominously tight but I’ll still be treking over the penines glad to be involved in footballs main event. Thanks for your reports Pommpey which I usually agree with and always enjoy.UTMFB ⚔️
Lacklustre performances. Wasn’t just me then. Job done though and division won at a cantor.

Thanks for all the hard work with your ’my take’ and reviews I’ve enjoyed them all, time to relax and enjoy our promotion.

until next time

Just going to echo what most fans are posting, excellent " my takes" already looking forward to them next season..👏

And another belated thanks Pommps. Always a good read and usually pretty much my take as well. Enjoy your summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom