My final Take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

As an ex-serviceman myself, Pommpey amazed and perplexed me at times. He is/was obviously very senior in the Navy - I doubt very much an officer though, by his tone and very thin skin, but I would imagine the Navy equivalent of an Army Garrison Sergeant Major or RAF Station Warrant Officer. These people are Gods in the military world. Even Junior / Middle ranking Offices will bow to them at times.

So, what I am saying is, Pommpey is very used to having his own way and people not saying boo to him. He is very well written and extremely knowledgable in many areas, so can easily hold his own in forum discussions/arguments. His achilles heel though ................ his incredibly thin skin and the almost psychotic need to 'have the last word'.

This makes him easy meat to WUMs. Even a feable and half arsed WUM such as Fallowfield, could get under his skin.
He's around 60 isn't it. I'm 56 and I can't understand how people in our age group can be so wound up by some stranger on a football message board to lead them to behave like a 10 year old.

We don't have much life left, why waste it with shit like that.

He's around 60 isn't it. I'm 56 and I can't understand how people in our age group can be so wound up by some stranger on a football message board to lead them to behave like a 10 year old.

We don't have much life left, why waste it with shit like that.
To be fair Pommps wasn't the only one who was sick to the back teeth of Fallowfield's egotistical shit and the hi-jacking of threads. I had FB on ignore but it was still hard to avoid him completely.

If pommpey got banned to rid us of Fallowfield, good on him. I'm reminded of Gandalf taking the Balrog down with him.

To be fair Pommps wasn't the only one who was sick to the back teeth of Fallowfield's egotistical shit and the hi-jacking of threads. I had FB on ignore but it was still hard to avoid him completely.

If pommpey got banned to rid us of Fallowfield, good on him. I'm reminded of Gandalf taking the Balrog down with him.
Will he come back as Pommpey the White?

If it was a 'choose one' scenario, I'd bring Pommps back every day of the week. In spite of my shithousing of him on this thread he was one of the few posters who made me laugh out loud, especially when he was hot about something (which was fairly regular).

Pomps contributions solicited responses from an authentic opinion. I personally thought some of his best stuff was in General Chat because he had an authoritative viewpoint on matters such as war.

FF just blanket bombed nonsense to seek pleasure out of being an irritating ****. Pinchy was a better standard WUM.

There is no other kind. In fact I imagine an unsigned copy would be like a first edition and increase desirability exponentially and move the value from 50p to 99p ☺

Au contraire.

0F077988-9151-4A95-A6CC-8E9E2EABFB10.jpeg

B05C6BB7-0709-4877-B4E9-E7E4668BE42D.jpeg

I’m 49p better off than I realised, and it’s only Wednesday.

Might buy us a new left-sided centre-half 👍

My point is why bothering engaging with arses? Ignore them and they'll go away.

Best Pommmpey moment was pre-SUTV, when he exclaimed, without irony that “I get all my opinions from my mate who rings me up after each match” 🤣

IMG_2683.gif
Pompey taking out himself to make sure Fallowfield also went down…

No, his finest hour was when he was explaining the interplay between John Flynn and Trevor Hockey in 1970.
He was 7 years old.
He clearly made things up, I couldn’t take to his match reports personally, not because of his narcissistic ways or his verbose style of writing but because it was clear many times he had not watched the games, there was many occasions it was obvious to me he had read the room, i.e the forum to gage how the game went and how certain players played and done his write up from those views.

I think if he had said I’ve been busy today lads so not seen the game but I’ll be back next week with a report, everyone would have been like nice one look forward to next week. No, that’s not what narcissists do and so he couldn’t do that and would make a report up from views from here and pass it off as watching the game, bit silly if you ask me. Just my personal opinion.

Both wouldn't be missed at all.

Fallowfield had no redeeming features at all, but if you ignored him, nothing was missed.

Pommpey you simply couldn't put on ignore because he actually was often entertaining. But like smoking or cocaine, the entertainment was heavily tainted with unpleasant side effects, so once someone kicks the habit for you, you quickly realize that you actually can live very well without the occasional highs because you no longer have all the tedious baggage attached...

His posts were okay - until he started responding to people. Once he did get into spats, he came across as slightly scary, overly intense, yet intensely insecure, always looking for self-validation and unable to yield ground or, as many have commented, let go without having the last word (usually several times over).

Certainly a character. :)

Missed the fun again because I had FF straight on ignore, plenty of trolls frequent this Forum I have most on ignore so I only know they are there when someone replies to them. No doubt they will be back one or two here must have had half a dozen bans followed by a new username to resume their trolling. Shame about Pommpey he was a funny guy but his problem was he could not take any criticism at all, if he couldn't brow beat you into submission it was fuck off and scroll past my take. Like others say he in his mind was always right and always had to have the last word, he took criticism way too personal at times but a lot of times he was justified people did only go to wind him up.

As most bloggers, blogger and floggers have found, having one idea is great - but sadly not sustainable. How many YouTube channels explode out and then peter away as the idea runs dry and the format becomes tedious. Seen it with a lot of the Blades YouTube channels.

Pomps was sadly no different. Great initial Takes sadly became repetitive and samey. The trolling of people who disagreed was a novelty that soon wore off too.

He just needed more good ideas other than calling out fellow keyboard warriors.

Either that or more hugs in real life...

He clearly made things up, I couldn’t take to his match reports personally, not because of his narcissistic ways or his verbose style of writing but because it was clear many times he had not watched the games, there was many occasions it was obvious to me he had read the room, i.e the forum to gage how the game went and how certain players played and done his write up from those views.

I think if he had said I’ve been busy today lads so not seen the game but I’ll be back next week with a report, everyone would have been like nice one look forward to next week. No, that’s not what narcissists do and so he couldn’t do that and would make a report up from views from here and pass it off as watching the game, bit silly if you ask me. Just my personal opinion.
I must it I thought this however many seemed to like it so I assumed I was been overly critical. He once admitted he had watched the game on his phone in a pub with dodgy Wi-Fi yet still argued with someone who had been at the match

Pommpey is funny and makes me laugh out loud. His take on JLT's performance in one game, that 'he's about as much use as Anne Frank's trumpet' is about as good as it gets on these forums. Endless arguments about formations and fringe players become very dreary. God knows, watching United we need some levity.
And he's a Valley lad like me....
So, bring him back....

Pommpey is funny and makes me laugh out loud. His take on JLT's performance in one game, that 'he's about as much use as Anne Frank's trumpet' is about as good as it gets on these forums. Endless arguments about formations and fringe players become very dreary. God knows, watching United we need some levity.
And he's a Valley lad like me....
So, bring him back....
I spent my early years on Gleadless too (top of Blackstock Rd). Never knew Pommpey though, think he's eight or nine years older than me.

Clearly Pomps and Fallow were marmite characters.
Forums need controversial characters to be vibrant, and so love them or hate them, they will be missed.

For me Fallow field crossed the line into puerile, incessant wummery.

Pompey was better than that, his post match analysis was entertaining and controversial in equal measure. I would always give it a read and it usually gave me a chuckle.

If most of us stopped posting, then no one would notice or care one way or the other. Given the discussion on this thread, that can't be said of those two, and that is their forum legacy.

Reactions: Dkc
No, his finest hour was when he was explaining the interplay between John Flynn and Trevor Hockey in 1970.
He was 7 years old.
That would support the inkling I had that he would Google lots of things, to pass it off as his own in depth knowledge.
He had an extreme-in-depth "take" on literally any topic. Of course he was also right about every single topic and I never saw anyone persuade him otherwise. Not even slightly.

Shouting people down doesn't make you right.

Extremely long rants (lacking punctuation) also don't make you right. They are hard to decipher though.

I sat next to raul once before I knew who he was so it does happen ☺ And I've been in Bert 's presence too.

Hark at me, name dropping....actually, along with others on here, the old BU sponsored a game and I met pommpey and Mrs pommpey and he seemed sound and I'm surprised at how he turned out on here, being opinionated and thin skinned isn't a great mix.

That was the occasion when our table won the quiz and the prize was a copy of Greenwich Blade 's book and we asked if we could swop it for the second prize ☺
Only because you already had a copy so that you read about yourself ;)

Pommpey's finest moment was undoubtedly the day he turned up at St Marys with a mate he he introduced as "Sandford's cousin"

That day was a top class day out way before the internet took over our social lives.

Reactions: Dkc
In these days of 24/7 TV football coverage and the seemingly endless ways of how to read about, hear about and watch football, life is very easy for people who, for whatever reason, don't (or very rarely) go to see the games live. In my opinion their views are just as valid as anyone else's however, and call me old fashioned if you like, but there is a caveat.

If somebody has such strong views as Pommpey did, I would expect them to at times put themselves out, shuffle things around and drag their arse to a game or two. I have no problem listening to somebody (whether right or wrong - it's all about opinions init!) if they have put themselves out and dragged themselves half way across the country, at some ungodly hour, to follow their beloved Blades. To me there is still a certain kudos, and lots of rope given in arguments, to somebody who puts match attending above some other of life's priorities.

Now Pommpey, yes he lives on the South Coast but for someone with such intense and strong opinions on all things Blades, surely you'd think at times he put himself out and actually get to some of the games. I mean, you'd got a man screaming from the rooftops here, not just a bloke in the pub seeing the footy results and muttering "ah that's a shame, Blades lost 1-0 today)".

I get issues about cost and travel time etc etc, but he didnt't even bother going to Wembley for the Man City game, and folk pointed out that that was much closer and less expensive for him than many of the Blades travelling down from Sheffield. Pommpey always stated 'time', 'money', and 'other life commitments' for not going to the games. All valid, of course, but not always. If he'd have said "to be honest I just can't be arsed" I'd have had more empathy with him.

Clearly Pomps and Fallow were marmite characters.
Forums need controversial characters to be vibrant, and so love them or hate them, they will be missed.

For me Fallow field crossed the line into puerile, incessant wummery.

Pompey was better than that, his post match analysis was entertaining and controversial in equal measure. I would always give it a read and it usually gave me a chuckle.

If most of us stopped posting, then no one would notice or care one way or the other. Given the discussion on this thread, that can't be said of those two, and that is their forum legacy.
As we all know though, nature abhors a vacuum....

Anyway here's MadDad38's team to Demolish Derby:

GK - Amissah (because we are not Brexit Blades anymore)
RWB - Trialist
RCB - Trialist
CB Trialist
LCB - Trialist
LWB - Trialist
MC - Berge
MC - Norwood
AMC - Trialist
AMC - Trailist
FC - Kane (sell Skilliman for £60m and reinvest the proceeds)

To be fair, you see different things at the match to watching footage.
At the match, you can't really see what it going on at the other end, you get no replays. On the other hand, if you sit near the front, you can hear the players speak, and you see a lot of what goes on which doesn't make it onto the coverage, and the experience is deeper and more personal if you were there

To be honest can’t speyk about Fallowfield ‘cos I never read him, pommpey on the other hand made me 😂

Pommpey's finest moment was undoubtedly the day he turned up at St Marys with a mate he he introduced as "Sandford's cousin"

That day was a top class day out way before the internet took over our social lives.
Many years ago I remember boozing around Shepherds Bush before a QPR game with Pommpey, nonstop laughs and drinks. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom