MOTD2 Tonight

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Well, having just watched MOTD2 tonight I have no fear for our future.

We were in fear of most EPL teams and acted accordingly under Hecky's negative game plan. Let's not push them too much.

I understand MOTD2 is only highlights, but tbh if that's the best they've got, we should not be intimated by most of those "massive" teams above us.

Wilder has bred some belief into our players, and rightly so. Chelsea, Shammers et al were no better than the resurgent blades.

We can get results against 2nd tier teams, without doubt, if the team keep their belief in their own abilities.

Is it too late? maybe so, but we can and we will get results against these mid table teams, but we do need to win our games against the lower tier teams to have any chance. The games v Palace, Florist, Luton and Burnley are key to our survival.

Plus, pick up wins and points v the likes of West Ham, Chelsea etc. and we have hope.
Anything else is a bonus. Keep the faith, our new self belief will see us well.

The loss against Forist earlier in the season could be pivotal. Had Traore scored and we had won 2-1, we would be on the same points as them....

Nuff said.

I'm Mr Positive but feel it's too far for us.

If Everton weren't docked points, they'd be 10th. They're not a relegation contender.
That means we are chasing down Forest who are 6pts ahead of us.
Palace are then 8pts above us, not sure we can claw 8pts back, so we're basically chasing Forest and only Forest in my view.

Hopefully we can start picking up points that are unexpected- Chelsea and Villa as an example

If Everton weren't docked points, they'd be 10th. They're not a relegation contender.
Palace are then 8pts above us, not sure we can claw 8pts back, so we're basically chasing Forest and only Forest in my view.

Hopefully we can start picking up points that are unexpected- Chelsea and Villa as an example
Been thinking the same thing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if they had acted a few games earlier there is every chance we would have picked up a couple of wins before Saturday and we are in touch. Still, we are where we are. The longer they keep Cooper the better. And wouldn’t it be lovely to pip Forest to 17th?

We have to target catching Forest and Palace and it always happens one other team who are not expected will drop into a relegation fight. It might be Wolves it might even be Brentford, daft as it seems a couple of wins and we could be on the same points as Forest. It might take the rest of the season but it is still doable but our terrible goal difference might well have already done for us, we will have to better every other of the team's around us points tally.

Win a game against either of them and automatically, the gap is cut to tracking their results, plus an extra win or two.

Reactions: Dkc
Our final few games we have Burnley, Brentford, Florist & Everton along with spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea, Liverpool.
4 winnable games, in that lot but will we be close enough I’m not sure, bloody hope so, think we left the decision to axe Hecky far to late, we are ahead of where I thought we would be under Wilder already so who knows but I think at least Wilder gives us a chance, for me though let’s get Derbys record out of the way as this seemed unachievable 2 weeks ago

Our final few games we have Burnley, Brentford, Florist & Everton along with spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea, Liverpool.
4 winnable games, in that lot but will we be close enough I’m not sure, bloody hope so, think we left the decision to axe Hecky far to late, we are ahead of where I thought we would be under Wilder already so who knows but I think at least Wilder gives us a chance, for me though let’s get Derbys record out of the way as this seemed unachievable 2 weeks ago
Difficult to sack Hecky after our first win and away draw. Hindsight sys we should be at the time we were “doing well”

I watched a Sheff United Way post-match discussion video yesterday, and couldn’t quite believe folk predicting a comfortable finish.

Of course, I think we’ll improve, but we’re potless and miles off the pace. It’s miracle territory already.

Difficult to sack Hecky after our first win and away draw. Hindsight sys we should be at the time we were “doing well”
Hecky should have been gone long before that first win, it was obvious he was totally out of his depth, the shambles of a board just weren’t brave enough, if the press was to be believed Wilder had already been approached

Just imagine sending Florist down after all that bollocks at the City Ground in play off semi and their shithousing at our place . It’s our next to last home game . Probably be best thing we’ve done bar promotion if we stayed up and send scabs down

If we manage to get to 30 points then that will be seen as an achievement. (More than trebling our current total.)
That will probably see us 6-9 points short of possible safety.
CW will believe we can do better and hopefully we will. I want us to be fighting in every single match till the end of the season.

Only one football team has gotten out of our situation and that was us under Dave Bassett in the mid 90s.

If we manage to get to 30 points then that will be seen as an achievement. (More than trebling our current total.)
That will probably see us 6-9 points short of possible safety.
CW will believe we can do better and hopefully we will. I want us to be fighting in every single match till the end of the season.

Only one football team has gotten out of our situation and that was us under Dave Bassett in the mid 90s.
...although we now have played the same number of games at the Bassett team had before the first win, and have double the points.

For comparison:

1990-91 W0 D4 L12 F7 A30 Pts 4
2020-21 W0 D2 L12 F8 A27 Pts 2
2023-24 W2 D2 L12 F12 A41 Pts 8

Forest Last 10 League Games
DLLLLWLDDD

P10 W1 D4 L5 GF10 GA19 GD-9 Pts7

Last Six Form
DLLLLW (4 points)

Blades Last 10 League Games
WLLLDWLLLL

P10 W2 D1 L7 GF7 GA24 GD-17 Pts7

Last Six Form
WLLLDW (7 points)

There's not a lot in it other than our confidence is growing and their's is rattled. Neither team has a great December coming up. If we come out of December still only 6 points off Forest, playing well and without any potential defeats rattling the players confidence, then it's not over yet.

Forest have got the following fixtures coming up.

Forest v Spurs
Forest v Bournemouth
Newcastle v Forest
Forest v Man Utd

Unfortunately we've got 3 away games to their 3 home games. That said, they've only won 1 of their last 6 home matches and only won 2 all season, albeit 1 was against us.

If we drop points and Forest extend the gap to 8 or 9 then the rest of the season will be about damage limitation on the way down. Knowing us we'll get relegated by 3 points and have one of our standard "if only we'd sacked Hecky earlier" summer debates.

Last edited:
The 10 goal GD swing with Burnley will be huge. That was a far worse result than the Newcastle game and will take some serious effort to negate.

I will love it if we beat them (at home), love it.

Just imagine sending Florist down after all that bollocks at the City Ground in play off semi and their shithousing at our place . It’s our next to last home game . Probably be best thing we’ve done bar promotion if we stayed up and send scabs down
If that happens I will piss myself laughing

We’re down unfortunately. Left it too late to sack Hecky. I’d say with a better manager in charge we’d probably have 4/5 more points than we currently have (which is a big difference in a relegation scrap)
That's what all the pundits said in the 90/91 season. We were further adrift than we are at the moment. Wilder was part of that team too. I said it all along, that these players are better than the garbage that was being served a few games ago. It would appear that the loss against Bournemouth was not such a bad result when you look at their form since. The loss against Burnley was a disgrace. I believe that perhaps we should stop looking at teams around us and just try to win as many games as possible. If we do that and evoke the spirit of 90/91, we can do this

That's what all the pundits said in the 90/91 season. We were further adrift than we are at the moment. Wilder was part of that team too. I said it all along, that these players are better than the garbage that was being served a few games ago. It would appear that the loss against Bournemouth was not such a bad result when you look at their form since. The loss against Burnley was a disgrace. I believe that perhaps we should stop looking at teams around us and just try to win as many games as possible. If we do that and evoke the spirit of 90/91, we can do this
Like Wilder said, one game at a time & see where we are at the end. We just need to make sure that a couple of teams hang around the relegation zone with us because the gap could become too big if not regardless of our form.

Hecky should have been gone long before that first win, it was obvious he was totally out of his depth, the shambles of a board just weren’t brave enough, if the press was to be believed Wilder had already been approached
When do you think he should have gone?

I mentioned this on another post but the Newcastle game would that have been appropriate giving what was going around the club at the time?

Fulham away game - Harsh after Man City, Spurs and West Ham games but potentially then

The Arsenal away game? - Potentially a shout there which is possibly when Wilder was contacted and the win against Wolves held it off

Forest Last 10 League Games
DLLLLWLDDD

P10 W1 D4 L5 GF10 GA19 GD-9 Pts7

Last Six Form
DLLLLW (4 points)

Blades Last 10 League Games
WLLLDWLLLL

P10 W2 D1 L7 GF7 GA24 GD-17 Pts7

Last Six Form
WLLLDW (7 points)

There's not a lot in it other than our confidence is growing and their's is rattled. Neither team has a great December coming up. If we come out of December still only 6 points off Forest, playing well and without any potential defeats rattling the players confidence, then it's not over yet.

Forest have got the following fixtures coming up.

Forest v Spurs
Forest v Bournemouth
Newcastle v Forest
Forest v Man Utd

Unfortunately we've got 3 away games to their 3 home games. That said, they've only won 1 of their last 6 home matches and only won 2 all season, albeit 1 was against us.

If we drop points and Forest extend the gap to 8 or 9 then the rest of the season will be about damage limitation on the way down. Knowing us we'll get relegated by 3 points and have one of our standard "if only we'd sacked Hecky earlier" summer debates.
Not sure there’s any debate even now

When do you think he should have gone?

I mentioned this on another post but the Newcastle game would that have been appropriate giving what was going around the club at the time?

Fulham away game - Harsh after Man City, Spurs and West Ham games but potentially then

The Arsenal away game? - Potentially a shout there which is possibly when Wilder was contacted and the win against Wolves held it off
After the Lincoln game, after the Newcastle game, after the Everton game, after the Fulham game, take your pick, we were so poor for so much of the season, conceded in every single game, lost possession so easily, players never knew what they were meant to do and it showed, shocking man management from Hecky, it just got weird towards the end, had we had a new manager for Burnley would we have lost 5-0 I don’t think we would have lost at all but this is only my opinion, guesses and what ifs, just hope Wilder can continue in the same vain, we will undoubtedly lose loads more than we win but it’s the way we go about it now moving forward

Back
Top Bottom