Most one sided loss

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

sufc323

Reaction score
Sky have got us against Bristol City on EFL Greatest games at minute and I still don’t know how we didn’t win. Hit woodwork 4 times, their keeper pulled off some worldies and we missed some other good chances. Think this was the match Wilder took off Basham for Carruthers when we went down to 10 men.

Anymore that stand out?

Port Vale at home in the 100 point season. It was 4-0 but I think we had the ball in the net about 8 times?!
Edit: Oh right, loss.

Obvious answer to me is the 0-2 at Hillsbrough circa 2002. We should genuinely have won it by 5 but Pressman was playing in another dimension and they caught us with 2 sucker punches. Even Vomiting Lloyd Owusu scored FFS!

Probably going to get pelters for this, but Pressman was a decent keeper, his only fault was playing for that lot

Obvious answer to me is the 0-2 at Hillsbrough circa 2002. We should genuinely have won it by 5 but Pressman was playing in another dimension and they caught us with 2 sucker punches. Even Vomiting Lloyd Owusu scored FFS!

That’s the one that I thought of first. We were excellent that day, think it was the early part of the 2002/03 season when we didn’t realise how good we were going to be that season.

0-5 at home to Arsenal in FA cup 3rd Round (1977?). We were going well under caretaker manager Cec Coldwell... and were fancied to upset that mighty Gooners team. Malcolm McDonald tore us new one with a hat trick. A few years later in mid 80s I remember going to Watford for another FA Cup game. Another 5-0 drubbing.... a young John Barnes doing the tearing that day. Strangely enough... my memories of that day are that we all had a right laugh and it was a good away day....!

Probably going to get pelters for this, but Pressman was a decent keeper, his only fault was playing for that lot

Oddly, a lot of pig fans didn't rate him that highly. How Chris Woods kept Pressman out of the team, I'll never know.

No pelters from me, he was an excellent keeper and represented everything good about the derby, took a bit of stick in the right way, gave a bit back and always managed to raise his game on the big occasion against us. Wednesday owe him a lot, our bragging rights would have been much bigger were it not for him.

Oddly, a lot of pig fans didn't rate him that highly. How Chris Woods kept Pressman out of the team, I'll never know.

Was because Flapper Woods cost a bit of money (or it was back then), whilst home grown boy Pressman, easily the better of the two, cost diddly squat.

We all know that the grunters measure everything by cost and money, and still haven't got their tiny little minds around the fact that a free or cheap transfer can be better than a big bucks player provided he is encouraged and coached well.

I hate Wendy with a passion, but I grudgingly had to admire Pressmans performances on many a derby day. He was usually like a man possessed. Still, he wasn't keeping Michael Brown's 30 yard volley out. Pick that fucker out fat boy!

People will say the scunny 4-0.

But I'm going for Liverpool away last season. We lost and it was extremely one sided.
makes my hairs stand up even considering if that cross to Leon went in. Would’ve solidified his status as a cult Blades hero (not that he isn’t already!)

Home game v West Ham in Dave Bassett's era, Oct 89. We had umpteen million corners but lost to two counter-attacks
Bit of an exaggeration, I think it was 28 corners actually ;)

Other than that I completely agree.

I believe that twat Mark Ward scored both of their goals.

(If I got all that right from memory I'll be well impressed with myself)

But I'm going for Liverpool away last season. We lost and it was extremely one sided.

That Scunthorpe game must be the most mis-remembered ever. Just checked the stats and Scunthorpe actually had more shots on target than us that night.

It wasn’t a 4-0 game but it certainly wasn’t as one sided in our favour as people seem to think it was.

That Scunthorpe game must be the most mis-remembered ever. Just checked the stats and Scunthorpe actually had more shots on target than us that night.

It wasn’t a 4-0 game but it certainly wasn’t as one sided in our favour as people seem to think it was.
I was in Rhodes that day.

My son called me and said "we played them off the park and lost 4-0" I responded "don't be ridiculous you can't completely play someone off the park and lose 4-0" thinking he must have had a lot to drink before the game today 😂

Liverpool away this season 2-0.

Scoreline wasn’t bad but we barely touched the ball

Bit of an exaggeration, I think it was 28 corners actually ;)

Other than that I completely agree.

I believe that twat Mark Ward scored both of their goals.

(If I got all that right from memory I'll be well impressed with myself)

I was just gunna post the same he was a little turd who hated united who, I believe ended up doing time.

I was just gunna post the same he was a little turd who hated united who, I believe ended up doing time.
Think he went to City and scored against us in the 2-0 loss at Maine rd. Slagged us off after.

0-0 v Pigs (under Jos) is probably the most one sided game I remember. Certainly the most one sided Derby I've been to.

The Grubbys win will be a grandads favorite in years to come.

Sit on mi knee lad while I tell you how our supporters dodged piss and flares to get to the shirts thrown into the crowd by our victorious team. 11 shirts amongst 3000 fans took some fighting for,but it were worth it.

Agree the Scunny game was incredible....even when we were 3-0 I still felt we had a realistic chance of winning.
We were so superior to Scunthorpe that day...totally dominant creating chances at will...playing Barcelona esque football.
Think I remember us scoring 2 goals but they were both disallowed. Remember Sharp having a goal disallowed and did we miss a penalty too.
I remember a few booing when Scunny scored their 4th but I thought we were superb that day. Think we hit the woodwork a few times.
Scunny hardly attacked but always looked dangerous.

Another match where we played well...loads of attacking and chances was a night game under Blackwell
when we lost 0-3 at home to Wolves. I was on the Kop and Blackwell was receiving loads of abuse from some of our fans who seemed to hate him
but I kept thinking how entertaining and attacking we looked. We played really well and looked a very good team but still lost 0-3.

Last edited:

Liverpool away last season. Henderson made at least three world-class saves.

Back
Top Bottom