Moronic Fans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can't stop laughing at all the Super Blades calling those that boo. I never feel the need but completely understand those that did on Saturday. Running the ball into the corner is fine....IN THE LAST 3 MINUTES OF INJURY TIME.

Why do some supporters think it's ok the run the ball into the corner with almost 10 minutes to play?! Apart from being embarrassing it's completely stupid. It's telling the opposition you're done for the day and have no intention of attacking their goal with plenty of time for them to get the ball back and score.

I can forgive the players and staff for perhaps being a bit anxious and doing it far too early but I cannot get my head around people saying it's ok.

Can't stop laughing at all the Super Blades calling those that boo. I never feel the need but completely understand those that did on Saturday. Running the ball into the corner is fine....IN THE LAST 3 MINUTES OF INJURY TIME.

Why do some supporters think it's ok the run the ball into the corner with almost 10 minutes to play?! Apart from being embarrassing it's completely stupid. It's telling the opposition you're done for the day and have no intention of attacking their goal with plenty of time for them to get the ball back and score.

I can forgive the players and staff for perhaps being a bit anxious and doing it far too early but I cannot get my head around people saying it's ok.

Part of the game. I watched the highlights and Crawley were wasting time from about 10 minutes into the game. Call it 'parking the bus' or setting up to contain or whatever, but they are all used quite extensively. Some are more subtle than others and carrying the ball to the corner is very obvious, but let's not kid ourselves that we are purveyors of the pure ethics of football, guardians of virtue because it has never existed. Now people can moan that we are doing it, and I think the main driving force behind this is football snobbery still there in some of our fans, it was Crawley FFS. We might be Sheffield United, at BDTBL, with crowds of 20k and as a club should compete in the PL, but we aren't we're here and playing Crawley. So I say, if we were 1-0 up against Southampton at home would we still be moaning and booing?

You play at the level you deserve to be at and the opposition deserves respect for being at your level.

Can't stop laughing at all the Super Blades calling those that boo.

It has very little if anything to do with being a "Super Blade" (whatever that means) and everything to do with not acting like a petulant 12 year old.

As many have stated, there is more than one way to win a match and if the confidence to see out time playing free-flowing football isn't there then what do you do?

Part of the game. I watched the highlights and Crawley were wasting time from about 10 minutes into the game. Call it 'parking the bus' or setting up to contain or whatever, but they are all used quite extensively. Some are more subtle than others and carrying the ball to the corner is very obvious, but let's not kid ourselves that we are purveyors of the pure ethics of football, guardians of virtue because it has never existed. Now people can moan that we are doing it, and I think the main driving force behind this is football snobbery still there in some of our fans, it was Crawley FFS. We might be Sheffield United, at BDTBL, with crowds of 20k and as a club should compete in the PL, but we aren't we're here and playing Crawley. So I say, if we were 1-0 up against Southampton at home would we still be moaning and booing?

You play at the level you deserve to be at and the opposition deserves respect for being at your level.

So you don't think it's stupid to start running the clock down with almost 10 minutes to play? I do.

So you don't think it's stupid to start running the clock down with almost 10 minutes to play? I do.

The proof of the pudding....

It's far more palatable than the usual SUFC habit of 11 behind the ball and clear it. At least if they get possession it's 90 yards from our goal!

Let's not rewrite history as many are trying to do. The tactic was carried out efficiently and effectively, keeping the ball in their half for the vast majority of the last eight minutes, including injury time (it will be 20 soon according to the critics).

Booing our own players is an embarrassment.

It has very little if anything to do with being a "Super Blade" (whatever that means) and everything to do with not acting like a petulant 12 year old.

As many have stated, there is more than one way to win a match and if the confidence to see out time playing free-flowing football isn't there then what do you do?

People pay their money and are entitled their voice pal. Has nothing to do with "acting like a petulant 12 year old."

I haven't seen anyone asking for free flowing football. Maybe we could put plenty behind the ball and play on the counter? Maybe we could carry on pressing for a second goal or simply keep the opposition on the back foot? Either wouldn't exactly be an unrealistic expectation.

Tell you what let's show the opposition we're shit scared and let them know we're no longer an attacking threat. After all we're not good enough to beat Crawley unless we crowd around the corner flag with the ball.

I give up.

The proof of the pudding....

It's far more palatable than the usual SUFC habit of 11 behind the ball and clear it. At least if they get possession it's 90 yards from our goal!

Let's not rewrite history as many are trying to do. The tactic was carried out efficiently and effectively, keeping the ball in their half for the vast majority of the last eight minutes, including injury time (it will be 20 soon according to the critics).

Booing our own players is an embarrassment.

It worked on Saturday. Just.

It worked on Saturday. Just.

What do you mean 'just'? Do you really think Crawley would not have had a single attack had we deployed other tactics?

I suggested we don't rewrite history. It happened within minutes.

Addendum: You're right about petulant 12 year olds. That's far too generous - screaming, tantrum-throwing infants is much more like it.

People pay their money and are entitled their voice pal. Has nothing to do with "acting like a petulant 12 year old."

I haven't seen anyone asking for free flowing football. Maybe we could put plenty behind the ball and play on the counter? Maybe we could carry on pressing for a second goal or simply keep the opposition on the back foot? Either wouldn't exactly be an unrealistic expectation.

Tell you what let's show the opposition we're shit scared and let them know we're no longer an attacking threat. After all we're not good enough to beat Crawley unless we crowd around the corner flag with the ball.

I give up.

You're right friend, people are entitled to their voice.
I would suggest that as we won the game that the employed tactic was correct for that situation. Is that worth booing the players or the management for?

That said there are obviously differing opinions on this and that's all they are, opinions. The record books in 50 years time won't say "time wasted for 8 mins" it will simply say we won 1:0

You're right friend, people are entitled to their voice.
I would suggest that as we won the game that the employed tactic was correct for that situation. Is that worth booing the players or the management for?

That said there are obviously differing opinions on this and that's all they are, opinions. The record books in 50 years time won't say "time wasted for 8 mins" it will simply say we won 1:0

I don't buy the 'pay your money, boo and abuse as much as you want' crap. I pay money too. I don't do so to be surrounded by single-cells spouting bile. Shall I boo and abuse them in turn? After all, I pay my money...

I don't buy the 'pay your money, boo and abuse as much as you want' crap. I pay money too. I don't do so to be surrounded by single-cells spouting bile. Shall I boo and abuse them in turn? After all, I pay my money...

I was careful not to go down the "pay your money" route, in my mind I was thinking more of a forum scenario.
I guess it comes across a little different.

I was careful not to go down the "pay your money" route, in my mind I was thinking more of a forum scenario.
I guess it comes across a little different.

No mate, I didn't think you were. Sometimes I use other posts as a platform, not necessarily to agree or disagree.

No, as I said Crawley were doing it from 10 minutes INTO the game. OK they are away from home and would be happy with a point, we wanted a win. We have possession, they can't score. We won, so how it can be tagged as 'stupid' I can't see!

Well as long as the rest of the supporters have you to tell them what they are and aren't entitled to do then there's hope.

Most people on this forum had to read about you banging the "real football" drum for about 18 months. I find your defence of negative, cowardly corner ball ironic in the extreme.

No, as I said Crawley were doing it from 10 minutes INTO the game. OK they are away from home and would be happy with a point, we wanted a win. We have possession, they can't score. We won, so how it can be tagged as 'stupid' I can't see!

Here's the thing, we did it a couple of times and far too early. They ran us fairly close anyway and different opposition on a different day could have equalised. They didn't fortunately.

I find it astonishing that some are crediting that tactic for the win.

Well as long as the rest of the supporters have you to tell them what they are and aren't entitled to do then there's hope.

Most people on this forum had to read about you banging the "real football" drum for about 18 months. I find your defence of negative, cowardly corner ball ironic in the extreme.

You run away from the point with a great turn of pace....

Reminds me of the story of the Prodigal Son. Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that God rejoices more over one sinner saved than over a thousand people who never sinned?

I feel the same about Pinchy. I am a firm evangelist of the "I don't give a shit what it looks like as long as we win" sect. All I can say to Pinchy is "welcome to the Church brother".

The only argument there Pinchy is people don't pay their money to come and watch you,they come to watch the match and ultimately shout things to those who they have paid to watch,not you.

Here's the thing, we did it a couple of times and far too early. They ran us fairly close anyway and different opposition on a different day could have equalised. They didn't fortunately.

I find it astonishing that some are crediting that tactic for the win.

No, the win was down to a fine finish from Baxter.

Avoiding dropping points was helped by doing that. Too early or late is a moot point, the booing of it isn't which I think was the point of the thread.

A team doing something to try and ensure they win a game, gets booed by it's own supporters. Don't get it!

Just like to add, John Gregory never once mentioned the time wasting in his interview,i wonder why:rolleyes:

p.s. our fans hardly ever mentioned their time wasting and had a go at them for doing it.

How would you prefer that people express their displeasure? Throw things? leave the ground? Or are we to sit there in silence?

Ref your a twat.
Messi you are wank
Balotelli your barnet is shiiiite.
Hart you couldn't catch a cold.

Get the idea ?

Reminds me of the story of the Prodigal Son. Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that God rejoices more over one sinner saved than over a thousand people who never sinned?

I feel the same about Pinchy. I am a firm evangelist of the "I don't give a shit what it looks like as long as we win" sect. All I can say to Pinchy is "welcome to the Church brother".

O brother, where art thou?

Let me not be misunderstood. I am unrepentant in the pursuit of proper football. I take issue, however, with the employment of patent nonsense to advance a cause.

I'm more concerned that we were in a position whereby the negative keep-ball was thought necessary against Crawley than that we actually used the tactic. However, it does involve (after a fashion) keeping the ball rather than the 'hoof and hope' favoured by some S2 veterans.

What is not in doubt is that it worked and worked well. The "nearly didn't work" notion is both disingenuous and absurd.

Amen.

Last edited:
Ref your a twat.
Messi you are wank

Get the idea ?

Ah, but that involves barracking the opposition. He wants the constitutional right to abuse our own team in the course of winning three valuable points. It's the Bladesfans' Way.

Personally I favour the 'leave the stadium' option.

Ref your a twat.
Messi you are wank

Get the idea ?

Yell abuse at people who aren't playing in the game? Sorry, no, I don't get it.

Football is a combination of tackling, passing, heading, shooting all sorts of different abilities ,and keeping the ball in corner for 10 minutes restricting the other desperate team to just one foray into our half is good football.

I disagree, I think it's a method of making sure none of what you just described as football, actually takes place.

I agree it can be effective. I also think it could have been quite effective if we did it from the 49th minute.

You run away from the point with a great turn of pace....

Hardly. I'm addressing the comment you made about supporters that don't share your opinion....or "single-cells" as you call them.

For someone that has spent so long idealistically preaching purist styles of play, I find it quite contradictory that you criticise those that want to see the game played.

No, the win was down to a fine finish from Baxter.

Avoiding dropping points was helped by doing that. Too early or late is a moot point, the booing of it isn't which I think was the point of the thread.

A team doing something to try and ensure they win a game, gets booed by it's own supporters. Don't get it!

I've always thought it's been a bad idea to boo own players if, say they put a cross into row z. I wouldn't have joined in myself on Saturday (a quiet cringe would be my way of protest), but this was a set of fans who disagreed with the team's needless, cowardly and cynical action of trying to prevent football from being played, rather than having an attempt on goal. There was no criticism of a player's effort or ability, nothing to affect anyone's confidence, it was a spontaneous reaction to the choice of action.

I noticed one of the Unitedites who gestured and loudly voiced his anger and frustration at Bob Harris' refusal to hit in a cross was Chris Basham.

Agreed Bergen. I'm not one for booing and would never partake.

It's matter of choice for those paying to see the game. Given ticket prices nowadays I nor anyone else has the right to call those that do. The players are well paid grown men and will get over a bit of booing.

Back
Top Bottom