CONFIRMED Mitchell gone

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Depends for me on who it is. If it’s someone like Warnock it’ll solve nothing. If it’s someone with a modern footballing mind and ethos it might prove invaluable.

It could also be done by committee. Whatever provides continuity across managerial appointments, alignment between all elements of the club, and a medium/long term strategy - I’d be all for it.

Get everyone together, figure it out, write it down, implement it.

2019 - Our first season in the Premier League
My twopenneth was
Conor Gallagher - on loan at Charlton at the time
Ivan Toney - Peterborough
Ollie Watkins - Brentford in the Championship
Tom Cairney - Fulham in the Championship
Harvey Elliott - Fulham in the Championship
Tom Lawrence - Derby
Josh Brownhill - Bristol City
Eberechi Eze - QPR
Said Benrahma - Brentford
Jarod Bowen - Hull City
Dean Henderson - Pre mega deal at Man Utd

Awwww, but, but, most of them went for millions.........Not in 2019 they didn't.
And even so, the money spent on McBurnie, Berge, Robinson, Freeman, Jagielka, Fat Kentucky Fried Chicken faced twat, then later Brewster and numerous others who couldn't even get a game for us would have gone some way to getting a few of them.

I should be our chief scout, the most difficult part of the job would be convincing our boardroom not to tip it's entire fortune down the shitter and that it actually pays in the end to sign quality.
Good list. I seem to remember we bid for the up and coming Watkins, Matty Cash, Jarrod Bowen and Antonee Robinson at the time but couldn’t match wages.
We probably offered what we pay Brewdog $30k week. That’s around 25% of what these players are earning now.
It’s a tough game as even if you find a diamond in your academy, one of the big boys will likely come and hoover him up.

Hang on….so folk are now hopeful/wondering that we may now put together a recruitment team fit for purpose?

Honestly….i have to laugh.
They could have helped the bloke at any time by improving the network, increasing the size of his team or even giving him a bigger budget to scout globally…but no, left it League one level.
So now they have “acted” and moved him on it will give the club chance to try and deflect some of the blame for the current shit show and we have to trust the incompetent clowns in charge will be able to make it better!!

No way do I trust these to sort this out, and as someone else alluded it creates another excuse for the upcoming failure in the summer to recruit suitably.

I think the most likely scenario is we've sacked him as a political stunt because they think they need to be seen to do something. Now they'll struggle to get anyone of any calibre to replace him and even if they do there'll be no money left to sign any player they recommend.

Gonna be a long summer

Hang on….so folk are now hopeful/wondering that we may now put together a recruitment team fit for purpose?

Honestly….i have to laugh.
They could have helped the bloke at any time by improving the network, increasing the size of his team or even giving him a bigger budget to scout globally…but no, left it League one level.
So now they have “acted” and moved him on it will give the club chance to try and deflect some of the blame for the current shit show and we have to trust the incompetent clowns in charge will be able to make it better!!

No way do I trust these to sort this out, and as someone else alluded it creates another excuse for the upcoming failure in the summer to recruit suitably.

No doubt recruitment needs a complete overhaul, but I share your reservations that we have the wherewithal / resource to do it. Crazy as a PL club.

The money wasted on two of his last three signings, keeper and Holgate would have been sufficient to employ a decent replacement and pay for the software

Good list. I seem to remember we bid for the up and coming Watkins, Matty Cash, Jarrod Bowen and Antonee Robinson at the time but couldn’t match wages.
We probably offered what we pay Brewdog $30k week. That’s around 25% of what these players are earning now.
It’s a tough game as even if you find a diamond in your academy, one of the big boys will likely come and hoover him up.
The thing is, those players on that list played in the Championship during our first season in the Prem in 2019.
They didn't get their mega money moves until the year after, after having excellent seasons. Jumping to a Premier League club for Toney, Lawrence, Benrahma, Brownhill, Eze, Watkins, Bowen would have been a piece of piss if we'd paid them more than their Championship clubs did.

Conor Gallagher was a Chelsea player, he was on loan at Charlton so although he would not have been on massive wages at the time it would have been difficult to get him away from Chelsea, but being at a Premier League club or on loan at Charlton, then Swansea would have been an interest to him at the time.

Tom Cairney would have been difficult because Fulham had been relegated and his wages would have been very high and Harvey Elliott was already on Liverpool's radar joining them before the season started, but they are just a few examples of what was potentially possible to bring in that season.

No idea what The Prince’s plan is now… but if Paul Mitchell has gone…. And there is a trigger point for Wilder’s contract in the summer too… who knows? …. His days may be numbered also….

I thought it was Wilder who was keen on Holgate???

In terms of wanting to sell the club for a princely sum, surely it makes sense for HRH Bogroll to appoint a head scout with some proven Premier League pedigree and improve the scouting infrastructure? It can't be too hard to find someone with PL experience that has a less checkered past than dropping £55m on Brewster, McBurnie and Hamer can it?

It could also be done by committee. Whatever provides continuity across managerial appointments, alignment between all elements of the club, and a medium/long term strategy - I’d be all for it.

Get everyone together, figure it out, write it down, implement it.
What are you, some kind of Communist!?!?

Think it was obviously time for a change but it doesn't negate the good work in the early days helping getting us to a position we didn't really expect any time soon.

The fact the current board are in change when you see the lack of success in the whole United world set up is hardly something I am looking forward to

Does this open the door to a restructure that results in us having a DoF? If so, what are people's feelings about the role? Necessary in the modern game? No need? Necessary evil? A great addition that should have been implemented 12 months ago?

Assuming we are going down this route, who / what characteristics make for a good DoF?

People on here have been banging on about us getting DoF for ages.

2019 - Our first season in the Premier League
My twopenneth was
Conor Gallagher - on loan at Charlton at the time
Ivan Toney - Peterborough
Ollie Watkins - Brentford in the Championship
Tom Cairney - Fulham in the Championship
Harvey Elliott - Fulham in the Championship
Tom Lawrence - Derby
Josh Brownhill - Bristol City
Eberechi Eze - QPR
Said Benrahma - Brentford
Jarod Bowen - Hull City
Dean Henderson - Pre mega deal at Man Utd

Awwww, but, but, most of them went for millions.........Not in 2019 they didn't.
And even so, the money spent on McBurnie, Berge, Robinson, Freeman, Jagielka, Fat Kentucky Fried Chicken faced twat, then later Brewster and numerous others who couldn't even get a game for us would have gone some way to getting a few of them.

I should be our chief scout, the most difficult part of the job would be convincing our boardroom not to tip it's entire fortune down the shitter and that it actually pays in the end to sign quality.

I was actually told that our #1 target in 2019 was Jack Grealish (and allegedly he was open, who tf knows if thats true), but that scuppered when Villa got promoted themselves in the playoffs.

Does this open the door to a restructure that results in us having a DoF? If so, what are people's feelings about the role? Necessary in the modern game? No need? Necessary evil? A great addition that should have been implemented 12 months ago?

Assuming we are going down this route, who / what characteristics make for a good DoF?
Accoutant on Twitter said won’t be a DoF and he’s always right to be fair with these sort of things.

Accoutant on Twitter said won’t be a DoF and he’s always right to be fair with these sort of things.

Part of me (the dinosaur) thinks a DoF is a questionable position and raises the specter of someone above the Manager making football/player decisions but at the same time the realist in me sees that the game is modernising. Agents are playing larger and larger roles in the game and having someone knowledgeable (football matters) within the club, fighting our corner would be a good move.

Personally, because of the Dinosaur part, I've not paid attention to the position in other clubs so know virtually nothing about the role, what makes a good Dof, are the fears well founded etc. Someone shedding light on things would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom