Midfield and Strikers issue

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For our final loan we could try and get Moise Kean on loan from Everton cant see him getting a look in at Everton and maybe worth enquiring would definitely be a step in quality and again fits the criteria of what we are looking for.
I for one didn't realise the criteria was 'shit with an attitude problem'.

Yes. We do need a striker or two (or playmaker), hopefully something's imminent. But we don't pay the biggest wages and fitting into the character of the team as well as the system matters for a lot.

Turns out this management lark's a bit tougher than Championship Manager after all.

and Tottenham, and Brighton, and Leeds, Southampton, Fulham, West Brom, Man Utd, and Man City.

I get Spurs 5, Brighton 3, Leeds 3, Soton 5, Fulham 2, West Brom 1 in terms of shots on target. Manchester teams didn't play.

If I include blocked shots as a fairer picture of total shots on target we were big laggards vs. the number of penalty area touches we had:

IMG_20200915_095251.jpg

Have we ever solved the "Duffy" position since his departure? I think not. A player of his mold would be ideal for our midfield but they dont come cheap and I dont think even after last nights game Wilder is going to push the panic button and look to add 3 more. I reckon it will be 1 more striker. With a fit Berge, Fleck and Norwood along with the WB we can create enough chances. McBurnie is very capable of getting 10 goals this season but we need someone to score a similar amount next to him. I dont believe we will be in a relegation scrap. Just think we probably will drop to 12-15th. We have enough to get enough points against other teams in this league.
Didsy does Duffy's job and that enabled the flat 3 in midfield. The attack has to be Didsy +1 if the flat 3 is retained as no other striker can do Duffys role.
George, Lunny, Oli Mc and JOC. still seem to be suffering from CV19 - it can do serious damage to the lungs and so not with their normal energy levels. It might explain why CW prioritised a back up TW rather then the sorely needed strikers.

For the vast majority of us it is clear that we have a serious problem with creating and scoring goals as was evident against Wolves.

It has been our achilles heel for some time now and still not been properly addressed.

It is clear that we are in desperate need of a real creative spark in the midfield alongside Fleck and Berge.

My first choice this summer would have been Eze i think alongside Fleck and Berge he was the real upgrade on Norwood/Lundstram that we needed.

I would love to see us go for Benrahma and Buendia would be the 2 obvious shouts for me.

I keep hearing the we don't play with wingers excuse as a reason not to sign Benrahma when in reality he could play anywhere in behind McBurnie and hopefully fingers crossed Brewster.

Buendia would be a quality addition also he is s and likes to play through balls has an eye for a pass and likes to run with the ball and have a go.

He likes to play a ping or 2 and play long balls and cut inside and not afraid to get stuck in which is what a lot of our fans cry out for.

Striker wise we have been linked with Brewster and Dennis.

I personally think we could do with signing both of them given the situation with strikers.

Because let's face it our strikefroce bar McBurnie is absolutely awful and not going to get the goals that we need to avoid a relegation dog fight.

If we are looking at stepping up and signing better quality young players.

Myron Boadu Donyell Malen from Az and PSV respectively all fit the criteria of what we are looking for yes it would cost a lot of money if we could some how tempt them to the Lane but it would be well worth the investment if we could.

For our final loan we could try and get Moise Kean on loan from Everton cant see him getting a look in at Everton and maybe worth enquiring would definitely be a step in quality and again fits the criteria of what we are looking for.

We would be well in with a shout of matching our achievements of last season I.M.O if we just added a little extra quality with 2 or 3 new faces that are a step up on what we have.

I think we agree on the problem, but not on the solution.

Eze & Benrahma are 10s. I think with the players we have, at this level, if we switched back to "the Duffy role" we'd get murdered.

Did we look better when we reverted to a back 4 in the second half ?
If so should we try it from the outset ?

Interesting idea - we've seen that CWAK turn to 4 at the back to chase a game normally, but we never start with it.

We did look better once Berge was on but then Wolves were in game management mode, letting us come on to them and then breaking - good tactics for me.

I think we have to stick with 352 now as it's ingrained into our DNA - just get back to being frugal in defence. We have to get Berge pulling more strings - if that means starting without Norwood then so be it. Personally i'd go with Fleck/Norwood/Berge, go to Villa with the intention of NOT losing and put at least a point on the board and get some confidence back with a good 352 performance.

As a team we just didn't seem ready for the season - the International week didn't help and our last two friendlies were just 2 games half full of reserves - bloody useless to us as a club.

An old saying is " the first game of the season, is the last friendly" - we've just got to get back to the basics that we do very well - and sign a striker.

UTB

You're at a loss as to why we gave the 2nd best footballer at the club a 2 year contract? Really?

2nd best footballer? Jesus christ
I for one didn't realise the criteria was 'shit with an attitude problem'.

Yes. We do need a striker or two (or playmaker), hopefully something's imminent. But we don't pay the biggest wages and fitting into the character of the team as well as the system matters for a lot.

Turns out this management lark's a bit tougher than Championship Manager after all.

Didn't realise you knew him personally 🙄

Nothing to do with championship manager either, just trying to get the best players that we possibly can through the door.

Surprised Freeman went without replacement. Added some creative spark. Got little, or no creativity up-front. Mousett & Didsy show bits, Burke might add a bit. Brewster is unproven in Prem. Real problem.

No issues here, McBurnie will bang in some 22 goals this season, and as soon as Mousset is fine, he'll score another 12.

The biggest problem yesterday was that at nil 2 after 6 minutes all they had to do was defend in depth & knock it out to the excellent Jimenez to hold it up & then bring the runners in.

If it had been 0-0 after 25 minutes they would have had to come out more to try & win which would have allowed more space for us, which would have been a different game, & possibly a different outcome. Newcastle did the same last season at 1 up & then scored the 2nd.

Hopefully we will not be nil 2 after 6 minutes again.

The biggest problem yesterday was that at nil 2 after 6 minutes all they had to do was defend in depth & knock it out to the excellent Jimenez to hold it up & then bring the runners in.

If it had been 0-0 after 25 minutes they would have had to come out more to try & win which would have allowed more space for us, which would have been a different game, & possibly a different outcome. Newcastle did the same last season at 1 up & then scored the 2nd.

Hopefully we will not be nil 2 after 6 minutes again.

What point are you trying to make here? If we weren’t this, and we weren’t that.

Fact of the matter is, we were 2-0 down in 6 minutes due to a defensive calamity. Then proceeded for the remainder of the 90 minutes to create fuck all.

We could play on until Christmas and still not have scored yesterday. Attacking quality lacks.

Have we ever solved the "Duffy" position since his departure? I think not. A player of his mold would be ideal for our midfield but they dont come cheap and I dont think even after last nights game Wilder is going to push the panic button and look to add 3 more. I reckon it will be 1 more striker. With a fit Berge, Fleck and Norwood along with the WB we can create enough chances. McBurnie is very capable of getting 10 goals this season but we need someone to score a similar amount next to him. I dont believe we will be in a relegation scrap. Just think we probably will drop to 12-15th. We have enough to get enough points against other teams in this league.

We had the "Duffy" Player luke freeman and we decided to get rid off him after a grand total of about 2 starts

What point are you trying to make here? If we weren’t this, and we weren’t that.

Fact of the matter is, we were 2-0 down in 6 minutes due to a defensive calamity. Then proceeded for the remainder of the 90 minutes to create fuck all.

We could play on until Christmas and still not have scored yesterday. Attacking quality lacks.

What a happy soul you are! Obviously an aficionado of the art of football watching.

So hitting the post & having 1 cleared off the line is creating nothing?

I recommend spec savers!

If we really want to establish ourselves as a premier league side sooner or later we've got to start acting like one. If we want a goal scorer we'll have to pay the going rate and pay the wages. We've done the hard bit by staying up and surprising a lot of people along the way. We definitely need a goal scorer because we can't rely on oli coming good or moose sorting himself out. We've been out of this division for a long time and top flight football has moved on. There's no room for sentiment anymore, if your not performing your out. Like it or not that's football in 2020.

Frustrated because last season it was obvious we needed more fire power and guile and I’m happy we’ve bulked squad up etc but the one place we needed to reinforce we haven’t..yet fingers crossed strikers are hardest to sign but we can’t go on with McBurnie and Sharp plus Mousset injured I really hope Chris has a plan sharpish because we need to if we are to establish ourselves

We had the "Duffy" Player luke freeman and we decided to get rid off him after a grand total of about 2 starts

Have to admit, offloading freeman without an alternative is confusing on the face of it. I liked Freeman though and thought he was good when he got that little run in the team, so I might be biased on that.

Just seen ###### w#####s Villa want Brewster. As staying in the PL is so lucrative, you don't suppose Villa (having seen our lack of firepower last night) would try to sign him, for however much, just to ensure we become more likely relegation candidates.

Just a thought.

We needed to add a couple of quality players who would have made a instant difference to the first team. I get it that CW hasnt been given the same funds as other clubs, but I agree it seemed slightly odd to use the money he did have on squad 'cover' rather than. I still think Bogle and Burke could become first team regulars and we are still in for one more, who I really expect to not be signed as cover.

Giving an extension to McG never really made sense to me. He is aging and injury prone. We need to do better in terms of a creative spark.

Back
Top Bottom