Midfield and Strikers issue

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
For the vast majority of us it is clear that we have a serious problem with creating and scoring goals as was evident against Wolves.

It has been our achilles heel for some time now and still not been properly addressed.

It is clear that we are in desperate need of a real creative spark in the midfield alongside Fleck and Berge.

My first choice this summer would have been Eze i think alongside Fleck and Berge he was the real upgrade on Norwood/Lundstram that we needed.

I would love to see us go for Benrahma and Buendia would be the 2 obvious shouts for me.

I keep hearing the we don't play with wingers excuse as a reason not to sign Benrahma when in reality he could play anywhere in behind McBurnie and hopefully fingers crossed Brewster.

Buendia would be a quality addition also he is s and likes to play through balls has an eye for a pass and likes to run with the ball and have a go.

He likes to play a ping or 2 and play long balls and cut inside and not afraid to get stuck in which is what a lot of our fans cry out for.

Striker wise we have been linked with Brewster and Dennis.

I personally think we could do with signing both of them given the situation with strikers.

Because let's face it our strikefroce bar McBurnie is absolutely awful and not going to get the goals that we need to avoid a relegation dog fight.

If we are looking at stepping up and signing better quality young players.

Myron Boadu Donyell Malen from Az and PSV respectively all fit the criteria of what we are looking for yes it would cost a lot of money if we could some how tempt them to the Lane but it would be well worth the investment if we could.

For our final loan we could try and get Moise Kean on loan from Everton cant see him getting a look in at Everton and maybe worth enquiring would definitely be a step in quality and again fits the criteria of what we are looking for.

We would be well in with a shout of matching our achievements of last season I.M.O if we just added a little extra quality with 2 or 3 new faces that are a step up on what we have.

The writing was on the wall when we gave a 2 year deal to Didsy.
And although Billy got a year to ease him into coaching , I never thought he'd be starting in the PL this season.
Moose has been a busted flush for a while + Robinson has gone.
Realistically we've got McB & Burke with the appropriate age & fitness.
Our strike force is so substandard that even CW admitted it publicly in July when he made the addition of quality in this area a top priority.
We are staring relegation in the face if we don't get hold of a couple of quality strikers.
Oh , and Lunny needs shipping out because whatever bullshit is spouted to the media , you can't carry a contract rebel in the squad - it's an unwelcome negative issue.

• Banned
The writing was on the wall when we gave a 2 year deal to Didsy.
And although Billy got a year to ease him into coaching , I never thought he'd be starting in the PL this season.
Moose has been a busted flush for a while + Robinson has gone.
Realistically we've got McB & Burke with the appropriate age & fitness.
Our strike force is so substandard that even CW admitted it publicly in July when he made the addition of quality in this area a top priority.
We are staring relegation in the face if we don't get hold of a couple of quality strikers.
Oh , and Lunny needs shipping out because whatever bullshit is spouted to the media , you can't carry a contract rebel in the squad - it's an unwelcome negative issue.

I am at a loss as to why we gave Didzy a 2 year contract and Sharp completely the wrong decision and Wilder to me has gone against everything he said because he said he was not interested in sentiment and all about moving forward so giving them both a 2 year contract does not make much sense to me personally.

And I totally agree if we don't sign a striker or 2 we are well and truly in a relegation dog fight I.M.O

As for Lundstram I cant understand why Wilder is persisting with him he bombed Duffy out no questions asked.

• Banned
McBurnie will get double figures this season.

We haven't seen the last of Mousset either.

If Sharp, McGoldrick and Burke chip in with a few as well then we should be fine.

No chance of double figures unless he gets the service and with Lundrstram and Norwood in our midfield I cant see them creating enough to help McBurnie get to double figures.

McBurnie will get double figures this season.

We haven't seen the last of Mousset either.

If Sharp, McGoldrick and Burke chip in with a few as well then we should be fine.
You know better than CW do you ?
Coz he said he badly needed more quality at the top of the pitch.
And I have to agree with him.

No chance of double figures unless he gets the service and with Lundrstram and Norwood in our midfield I cant see them creating enough to help McBurnie get to double figures.
He got 6 last season, think there's a half decent chance he can push up to 10

It's obvious that goals are our problem. I'm amazed that we extended Billy and Didsys longer contracts.
Lunny got a fair few goals and assists last season, but i'm not sure he is a long term solution. McBurnie is young and hopefully improving
and Mousett is very good on his day, but so bloody injury prone. We have to get more strikers in for me.

It could be a long season if we also defend the way we did today.

It's not panic stations yet, but this league is the toughest in the world.

How we do away to Villa and how much we create will say a lot about what will happen this season. We simply have to score goals against teams like that.

I’ve been saying this for ages we don’t have the money to compete.

Leeds are signings £30m striker
WBA spending big on wingers and still looking to spend.
Everton have bought anyone who’s good
Villa keep buying and buying until they get lucky

There are reasons why these teams will improve and it’s down to money.

McBurnie needs a foil.
Brewster would definitely be it.
Obviously Dennis and Brewster would be perfect but I'd love to stick with a partnership all season and have Billy, Burke and Moose come off the bench if we need a goal late on, or Didsy if we need a change of shape.

Oli is our player to build around up there, and the longer he partners someone the better they will be together.

Agree with the OP. We are lacking players with prem level technical ability and flair going forward. Sharp got into some good positions yesterday but hes clumbsy on the ball and we take far too long to get the ball in the box for him.

Eze/swift/buendia are all player who are needed for us to progress and give is versatility. Whilst our system is creative our players are limited. We dont have the technical ability to play past this system in a more organic way which is stifling our progress.

Wolves knew exactly how to defend against us yesterday and we made it easy with the same predictable play. Started play central, a long diagonal out wide, a few triangles and then whip in a cross, repeat. Wolves just put bodies in their box and comfortably dealt with our woeful and pedistrian play/deliveries.

More teams will set up against us like this this year as It kills our system and attacking threat. We need to adapt.

For the vast majority of us it is clear that we have a serious problem with creating and scoring goals as was evident against Wolves.

It has been our achilles heel for some time now and still not been properly addressed.

It is clear that we are in desperate need of a real creative spark in the midfield alongside Fleck and Berge.

My first choice this summer would have been Eze i think alongside Fleck and Berge he was the real upgrade on Norwood/Lundstram that we needed.

I would love to see us go for Benrahma and Buendia would be the 2 obvious shouts for me.

I keep hearing the we don't play with wingers excuse as a reason not to sign Benrahma when in reality he could play anywhere in behind McBurnie and hopefully fingers crossed Brewster.

Buendia would be a quality addition also he is s and likes to play through balls has an eye for a pass and likes to run with the ball and have a go.

He likes to play a ping or 2 and play long balls and cut inside and not afraid to get stuck in which is what a lot of our fans cry out for.

Striker wise we have been linked with Brewster and Dennis.

I personally think we could do with signing both of them given the situation with strikers.

Because let's face it our strikefroce bar McBurnie is absolutely awful and not going to get the goals that we need to avoid a relegation dog fight.

If we are looking at stepping up and signing better quality young players.

Myron Boadu Donyell Malen from Az and PSV respectively all fit the criteria of what we are looking for yes it would cost a lot of money if we could some how tempt them to the Lane but it would be well worth the investment if we could.

For our final loan we could try and get Moise Kean on loan from Everton cant see him getting a look in at Everton and maybe worth enquiring would definitely be a step in quality and again fits the criteria of what we are looking for.

We would be well in with a shout of matching our achievements of last season I.M.O if we just added a little extra quality with 2 or 3 new faces that are a step up on what we have.
When you can't afford the wage demands of the player being upgraded, how do you expect to match the wages of any identified upgrade.
Teams with the lowest budget year after year eventually end up alongside other teams with similar ambitions . That aint in the PL.

The need wasn’t there to spend what money we did have to spend on players to warm the bench.
Everyone knows even Wilder that we need more attacking players, goal scorers.
At the end of last season he said we need more quality at the top of the pitch, this still hasn’t been addressed, we’ve spent £15 million or whatever it was on full backs for the squad?!

1 shot on target yesterday, joint bottom with West Brom from the first round of matches. However also the second most touches in the penalty area (29) behind Liverpool. Hopefully we can get that striker sorted.

McBurnie has one cleared off the line late on. Not the best header but on another day that might go in

You know better than CW do you ?
Coz he said he badly needed more quality at the top of the pitch.
And I have to agree with him.
Ah S2's Godwin's Law invoked nice and early.
You could easily turn that round and say Wilder also gave these players lengthened contracts, moved on Robinson and hasn't replaced them, and spent elsewhere in the team instead.

Of course a third option could be that we've irons in the fire, had a significantly shorter window to complete the activities we needed to get done but as it's a 38 game season we're OK. Although, no doubt, we could have done without one of our starting forwards picking up an unforeseen injury along with our most exciting midfielder.

Have we ever solved the "Duffy" position since his departure? I think not. A player of his mold would be ideal for our midfield but they dont come cheap and I dont think even after last nights game Wilder is going to push the panic button and look to add 3 more. I reckon it will be 1 more striker. With a fit Berge, Fleck and Norwood along with the WB we can create enough chances. McBurnie is very capable of getting 10 goals this season but we need someone to score a similar amount next to him. I dont believe we will be in a relegation scrap. Just think we probably will drop to 12-15th. We have enough to get enough points against other teams in this league.

It's an obvious issue that we've all known for a while. However don't over react from last night, Wolves will make many a side look inept going forward this season with that defence.

Have we ever solved the "Duffy" position since his departure?

No we haven't solved it - the question is whether we have actually looked to solve it?

1 week after getting promoted Wilder said in every TV interview "we're going to tweak the formation" - that as we saw was to 352. Luke Freeman was probably the standby no:10 but our form for long periods negated the use of a no:10

We allegedly toyed (according to some press feeds) with cantwell and Eze this window - perhaps true, perhaps a smokescreen - who knows.

Some reports suggests we are working/have been working on a new formation - perhaps CWAK aren't going to revert back to a 3412 anytime soon.

We have a problem in the final third, just like last season - it all depends what the management think is the way out of it - hopefully we'll know soon.

UTB

No we haven't solved it - the question is whether we have actually looked to solve it?

1 week after getting promoted Wilder said in every TV interview "we're going to tweak the formation" - that as we saw was to 352. Luke Freeman was probably the standby no:10 but our form for long periods negated the use of a no:10

We allegedly toyed (according to some press feeds) with cantwell and Eze this window - perhaps true, perhaps a smokescreen - who knows.

Some reports suggests we are working/have been working on a new formation - perhaps CWAK aren't going to revert back to a 3412 anytime soon.

We have a problem in the final third, just like last season - it all depends what the management think is the way out of it - hopefully we'll know soon.

UTB
Did we look better when we reverted to a back 4 in the second half ?
If so should we try it from the outset ?

I dont think the formation is so bad, we just execute badly at times. Mind numbingly forcing it to the wing to a full back/ midfielder who takes 10 seconds to realise he can cross the ball. Meanwhile all the oppo players saunter back to the box (which didnt matter because they only needed the first one 10 yards away). Or just chinning it upfront for no real reason.

A bit more bravery, a bit more impetus. A bit more using the middle of the pitch.

We looked better when we stopped going so direct and retained possession better. It was ultimately too slow on the night but was tactically correct.

Giving the opposition something else to think about with the odd hoof ball is fine. But the regulatory in which we do it is starting to significantly hurt us.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom