Memries of Bristol City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Remember that match as being the one where I missed all three goals. The first two going for a piss, and then I left the ground in disgust after the equaliser, only to hear a cheer from the away end while walking through the car park.

Definitely the peak of Henderson’s United career.

Only time I've been to Bristol City was the final day of the 1988/89 season. Was anticipating another Darlington but despite confirming promotion, the day was an anticlimax as we were well beaten.

Relegation play off 1988. Sitting in a beer garden in Grenoside at noon and saying, fuck it let's go (ko was 6pm)
Red hot day - Bristol C average attendance 9K all season - that day 25K inc 6k Blades.
Most violence I've ever seen at a match. Running around on that park next to Paul Heaton ( he subsequently told me pulled his hamstring). Bonkers. Ended up in some student house trying to find our minibus when we were being stalked by Wurzels.

Remember Alan Kelly getting injured in the warm up and unable to play not a good day lost 1-3

Winning there just after Clough came in. Think we were either bottom or very close to bottom of League One and seem to think Bristol City weren’t faring much better. We put a cross in from the right in the last minute and Flint put it in his own net.

Blades went absolutely bananas. It was still the old shared away end opposite where I believe away fans are now housed, really low ceiling, excellent acoustics and home fans close by.

Also remember winning there under Clough (3-0 or 3-1 I think?) We played Baxter as a false 9 with Done and Murphy as wide forwards. We never played that exact system again and I’m never quite sure why as I still think that was United’s best performance under Clough. It was probably Tel Kennedy’s best game too.

A less pleasant memory was a 0-0 draw under Blackwell in the season we hardly ever lost away (around 2009?). We got stuck for hours on the M5 and only just made kick off. Blackwell played Henderson on his own up front with no pace in midfield, Bristol City were no better and it must have been one of the most boring games I’ve ever seen. I did have an excellent cheeseburger that night mind, much better than most football ground fettle.

Relegation play off 1988. Sitting in a beer garden in Grenoside at noon and saying, fuck it let's go (ko was 6pm)
Red hot day - Bristol C average attendance 9K all season - that day 25K inc 6k Blades.
Most violence I've ever seen at a match. Running around on that park next to Paul Heaton ( he subsequently told me pulled his hamstring). Bonkers. Ended up in some student house trying to find our minibus when we were being stalked by Wurzels.
Only ever been proper clipped twice watching United. The game you mention and before a dour 0-0 at Swindon 93ish. Something in the air down that neck of the woods.

Winning there just after Clough came in. Think we were either bottom or very close to bottom of League One and seem to think Bristol City weren’t faring much better. We put a cross in from the right in the last minute and Flint put it in his own net.

Blades went absolutely bananas. It was still the old shared away end opposite where I believe away fans are now housed, really low ceiling, excellent acoustics and home fans close by.

Also remember winning there under Clough (3-0 or 3-1 I think?) We played Baxter as a false 9 with Done and Murphy as wide forwards. We never played that exact system again and I’m never quite sure why as I still think that was United’s best performance under Clough. It was probably Tel Kennedy’s best game too.

A less pleasant memory was a 0-0 draw under Blackwell in the season we hardly ever lost away (around 2009?). We got stuck for hours on the M5 and only just made kick off. Blackwell played Henderson on his own up front with no pace in midfield, Bristol City were no better and it must have been one of the most boring games I’ve ever seen. I did have an excellent cheeseburger that night mind, much better than most football ground fettle.

I was there for the Flint og you mentioned. If you watch the clip, I am the bloke picking up my then 5 yr old in my arms and cheering loudly!

I was there for the Flint og you mentioned. If you watch the clip, I am the bloke picking up my then 5 yr old in my arms and cheering loudly!

I was in the Bristol City corporate seats for that one, having to sit on my hands to avoid jumping up and celebrating. We were atrocious that day, don’t think we had a shot on target, and won 1-0!

I was in the Bristol City corporate seats for that one, having to sit on my hands to avoid jumping up and celebrating. We were atrocious that day, don’t think we had a shot on target, and won 1-0!
Yes dire game but great result!

Remember that well...although the memories get intertwined between the promotion celebration and the play off game. However both involved thousands of Blades and running the gauntlet of that park on the way home!

Back
Top Bottom