McGoldrick

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Very frustrating. He played superbly, sublime at times.

Seems to get the panic on when he gets a good chance. Snaps at it. Which is strange because in his all round play he's cool as a cucumber.

Mcburnie played Shite ? Please expand ?
How many chances has he missed this season?

He should be on 4 or 5. Gotta drop him. Keep him as someone to come on when we're 1-0 to hold the ball up and win freekicks.

McBurnie isn't technically gifted, but there's no doubt he can finish. He'd have buried McGoldrick's chances today. So would Sharp
Pushed off the ball too easily. Gave away too many free kicks. Didn’t spend enough time in goal scoring positions. Looked ineffective against a physical defence. Took his chance well.

McGoldrick: basically opposite to that.

My point is, what can we do? McGoldrick looked a world class player today but his finishing was shite. He played at the side of McBurnie who is undoubtedly a great finisher, but didn’t do enough to create any chances for himself.

Reactions: cc1
Whether he holds the ball up, links the play, drifts all over the park etc, is IMHO somewhat irrelevant. season after season MOTD highlights that it is the lack of goals that sends teams down.
If its goals we need to stay up then unfortunately I don't think he is the man. Playing another role yes, but as an out an out goalscorer no, & his record says that he never has been.

As for the others they need a chance, constant swopping formation every game helps no one.

But without McGoldrick in the team the MOTD highlights of us might be of a team failing to get up the pitch & create chances... worse, I would say, than of a team creating chances but failing to pull the trigger.

I don't disagree with what all of you are saying, but I think many are underestimating the important of McGoldrick between both boxes. I honestly think we'd look very disjointed without him in our side.

McGoldrick should have buried that first half chance. He knows it, Wilder knows it and the rest of us know it. Apart from that he was outstanding today so why are we looking for a scapegoat again? He will score goals. He will never be prolific but he’s a vital cog in the way we play. Some of you need to put ya dummies back in and open your eyes. A strikers role is more than just putting it in the net.

Pushed off the ball too easily. Gave away too many free kicks. Didn’t spend enough time in goal scoring positions. Looked ineffective against a physical defence. Took his chance well.

My point is, what can we do? McGoldrick looked a world class player today but his finishing was shite. He played at the side of McBurnie who is undoubtedly a great finisher, but didn’t do enough to create any chances for himself.

Moose and McBurnie

Moose is fast, powerful and creative. He scored well for France U21 and Le Havre so can finish too.

I dont want to hate McGoldrick, he does alot thats good. But we cant miss chances like he does

It's far too simplistic of an argument.

McGoldrick is all over the park, between the lines getting us up the pitch. He's a reason we're able to get a foothold in a lot of games. Particularly at the moment when we're playing with this flat 3. If we played McBurnie up top on his bill with Robinson they'd always be miles away from our midfield and it would be hard to get up & support attacks.

I'm not denying it's an issue that McGoldrick is missing these chances, but I'm not sure it would be of benefit to the team to drop him. I could be wrong. But this is my opinion.

Which is how I concluded my post. Perhaps the answer, especially at home to teams like Southampton, is to play McGoldrick in Duffy's old role with 2 more conventional forwards.
Hes quality on the ball so I wouldnt drop him either just think wilder needs to now find a way to play him with two strikers on the pitch also. Easy eh

Last seasons player of the season. Too soon to write him off? Discuss.
Definitely shouldn't write him off, because of his overall game. Could he play in midfield?

Sadly, not clinical enough as an out and out striker in the premier l league. That’s not based on 5 games (which would be ridiculous), but his season last year was propped up by his fantastic general play, rather than finishing.

Last edited:
Can’t live off last season unfortunately! Just ask Duffy !! Just not good enough as a premier league forward unfortunately
Yes let’s write him off after the first 5 games of the season (and he’s only started 4) His should have buried that chance. Other than that he was excellent but sod it let’s bin him eh?
:rolleyes:

Wilder is having an absolute howler in picking our best front two. Got it all wrong so far.

Really? (goes off to check post count).....1,500, So doesn’t even smell like pork, which would excuse it. :)

Unless we play a Duffy, no.10 ,type role Mcgoldrick should be 4th ir 5th choice striker. You can't have 5 or 6 chances to score 1 goal in the prem.

Wilder on Radio Sheffield didn’t sound best pleased with a caller having a little dig at McG. That usually means that the player criticized usually starts next game.

In this league Centre Forwards need to score goals. McG doesn’t score enough and never has all through his career.

Very frustrating. He played superbly, sublime at times.

Seems to get the panic on when he gets a good chance. Snaps at it. Which is strange because in his all round play he's cool as a cucumber.

Agree, thought McGoldrick was one of our better players...yet again.

I’ve noticed that his shots seem to lack power and he often doesn’t get a good connection.
It’s been said before but if McGoldrick could score he’d be worth over 50 million and wouldn’t be here.

We also need the midfielders to weigh in with goals and, as Wilder pointed out, Fleck missed two good chances.....

Wilder on Radio Sheffield didn’t sound best pleased with a caller having a little dig at McG. That usually means that the player criticized usually starts next game.

In this league Centre Forwards need to score goals. McG doesn’t score enough and never has all through his career.

That’s my worry. Wilder can be stubborn and dig in with stuff like this. He did precisely that in our first year in the champ when Duffy and Sharp weren’t playing..

Everyone agrees Didzy does his best work outside the opposition box.
I'd play him as the Duffy behind Robinson and a n other.
It means losing one of today's midfield but I don't like that 3 much anyway.
Happy for Lundstram and either of the other 2 or Freeman.
Norwood cost us today and should have gone off instead of Lundstram with Didzy dropping to the 10 role. Lundstram can do the Norwood role.

He finds that bit of form finishing like Leon did for that spell and we'll all be screaming for him.

His play outside the 18 yard box is easy premier league level, finishing is championship level and that’s at a push.

That’s the top and bottom of it.

He needs a stint on the bench, and double finishing sessions in training.

McGoldrick should have buried that first half chance. He knows it, Wilder knows it and the rest of us know it. Apart from that he was outstanding today so why are we looking for a scapegoat again? He will score goals. He will never be prolific but he’s a vital cog in the way we play. Some of you need to put ya dummies back in and open your eyes. A strikers role is more than just putting it in the net.

That wasn't the only chance he should've buried in the game let alone this season.

Mcburnie should play 90 minutes every game and be our main striker he should be the focal point of our attacks.

Itttttsssss scapegoat tiiiime....
So are we not allowed to criticise a striker for not taking his chances... Again. I love his build up play some of the few positives ive taken out of the recent home games but his lack of a cutting edge is getting fairly worrying now.

So are we not allowed to criticise a striker for not taking his chances... Again. I love his build up play some of the few positives ive taken out of the recent home games but his lack of a cutting edge is getting fairly worrying now.
How about the defence that opened up like katy price's legs at a footballers party when poundshop wanchope ran at them?

How about the defence that opened up like katy price's legs at a footballers party when poundshop wanchope ran at them?
Agreed, this new apparently more defensively solid shape has seemed to expose our defence even more.

Back
Top Bottom