Incoming? LWB

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I dont’t think we can ‘make do’ with this position like others are suggesting.

It’s been a weak area for a few years now and we saw with prime Enda what you get from having a decent LWB who can carry the ball and cross as well as do the defensive stuff.

It’s painful to watch when we get targeted in this area because we usually have a square peg in a round hole.

I’d look to get a loan in this position until January. None of the existing options at the club fit the bill.
This is basically what we have done for years.

Ramsdale goes… we don’t replace like for like we make do with Wes

JoC…. We don’t replace like for like we make do with JR

Same with a large majority of our squad

This is assuming they are ever going to be good enough and it's just a timing/age issue. It's not easy making it at any level of football let alone championship.
True, but unless they play some matches we cannot be sure either way.

Surely they could be introduced over the course of the coming season so that they are ready for the next one.
Seriki went out on loan where he wasn't very convincing and Buyabu went out on loan but returned due to personal/family reasons. Neither are League One level let alone Championship.

Seriki went out on loan where he was terrible and Buyabu went out on loan but returned due to personal/family reasons. Neither are League One level let alone Championship.
If they have been given contracts it suggests that either they will be good enough or are being lined up to sell on (?)

If they have been given contracts it suggests that either they will be good enough or are being lined up to sell on (?)
Or they've been given contracts in order for us to protect our assets whilst we take the TIME to develop them in the HOPE that they might make the grade in the future. Giving them a contract now doesn't mean that we think they're ready NOW otherwise our first team would be nothing but development players.

What's happened to Harry Boyes? I know he was highly rated by the coaching staff and seems to have done pretty well on loan going by Roy's updates. Granted I haven't been keeping up with his progress especially during his latest loan, but if he's ever gonna make it at United then next season would be a perfect opportunity

Carrying all these young right backs is surely daft

It's not like it's the hardest position to recruit in either

What's happened to Harry Boyes? I know he was highly rated by the coaching staff and seems to have done pretty well on loan going by Roy's updates. Granted I haven't been keeping up with his progress especially during his latest loan, but if he's ever gonna make it at United then next season would be a perfect opportunity
Not sure, he spent the first half of last season with Wycombe where he played most games, then we recalled him and sent him out to Fleetwood.

I'm not quite sure why we sent him from a top half team to one in the bottom three unless it was to test his focus and determination by making him play for a struggling team.

Seriki and Buyabu are no where near Championship standard yet. It would be suicide to go with them.
I agree, but wouldn't surprise me if they ended up nearer the first team picture. Both given long term contracts and will be aged 21 when the new season starts. If they aren't in the first team planning at that age then why are they being retained?

take your point but JR and Wes were both integral to getting us promoted last year. Plus no one we could ever afford could have replaced JoC - he would have been a 50m player if he’d been at Brighton / wolves / villa etc.

take your point but JR and Wes were both integral to getting us promoted last year. Plus no one we could ever afford could have replaced JoC - he would have been a 50m player if he’d been at Brighton / wolves / villa etc.
I’m not saying we replace with exact same that’s near on impossible. But we didn’t spend is the issue. We didn’t go and buy a player that we obviously needed.

JR wasn’t ever fancied in PL and now he’s our best player while we concede 100 goals. That’s where the issue lays.

Not sure, he spent the first half of last season with Wycombe where he played most games, then we recalled him and sent him out to Fleetwood.

I'm not quite sure why we sent him from a top half team to one in the bottom three unless it was to test his focus and determination by making him play for a struggling team.
I believe Wycombe went to a flat back 4 and Boyes stopped playing/struggled.

a fully fit and firing rnd would be the best lwb in the championship next season if we could only keep him sound if we can with osborn and buyabu as back ups dont think we need to bring anybody in keeper 2 new centre backs a midfielder and new striker have to be our priorities this summer

a fully fit and firing rnd would be the best lwb in the championship next season if we could only keep him sound if we can with osborn and buyabu as back ups dont think we need to bring anybody in keeper 2 new centre backs a midfielder and new striker have to be our priorities this summer
I’m not sure we’ve ever seen that player though.
I think any expectation of him as a regular starter next season is wildly misplaced.

Last edited:
We need more than 5 players surely, and, if we drop lucky, and get rid of Anel, Souza, Slimane, Traore, Coulibaly and Grbic!!! Please god!!
Then we're going to need nearer 10 than 5!
Plus, we really need some good news regarding Egan and Mcburnie!!

We need more than 5 players surely, and, if we drop lucky, and get rid of Anel, Souza, Slimane, Traore, Coulibaly and Grbic!!! Please god!!
oh yes we do need 8 minimum those 5 positions have to be our priorities think egan and mcburnie will sign new contracts

We need 10 in my opinion to cover losses of players will we get them I don't know with this prince I lost all faith in him

I’m not sure we’ve ever seen that player though.
I think any expectation of him as a regular starter next season is wildly misplaced.
agreed. Not particularly sad to see Lowe go but he has been a fair bit better going forward than RND. RND's peak for us has been as a defensively solid mid level Championship full back with virtually nil attacking output. His injury record is also extremely bad/atrocious. If we are going to be wedded to 5-3-2 as Wilder seems to want then we are going to need better wing backs.

When Bogle, Osborn and Norrington-Davies are the pick of the bunch then things look bleak. Ozzy is a jack of all sorts, master of nothing, Bogle is a crap defender but good winger, but managers continue to play him in defence where he gets exposed time after time, and Norrington-Davies is a good defender but injury prone.

We need a new right back and left back as well as cover.

This summer's rebuild is a huge job. We need an entire back four plus keeper, the midfield needs at least two more additions and the frontline needs more than just Brewster, Osula and potentially Jebbo.

Forget promotion or play offs next season, there's too much to do to fix it in one season.
The only thing I query is the need for 2 x midfielders - I think if we can swap Souza for someone who gives a fuck , we're ok.
But goalie , defence & attack is enough to be sorting !

I agree, but wouldn't surprise me if they ended up nearer the first team picture. Both given long term contracts and will be aged 21 when the new season starts. If they aren't in the first team planning at that age then why are they being retained?
The potential for a loan move with a view to buy, so that we can make some money on players who are unlikely to feature for us in the Championship as they might be better suited to League One or League Two.

The way our squad has been allowed to deteriorate since 2020 is unforgivable.
I appreciate that we've had some terrible luck with injuries to JoC , Brewster , RND , Jebbo etc , but the positions have not been addressed proactively.
Players have aged beyond their usefulness and our recruitment & retention has been inept.
The owner is remote and just not interested enough to get a grip of the failing management of his company , which is bizarre given that he is trying to sell it.
It's been like watching a car crash in slow motion.
Selling Ndiaye & Berge , loads of players out of contract , others poor or frequently out injured , swapping a reasonable goalie for an idiot.
The result being that , apart from a couple of players , we now have a squad which if not improved , will struggle in the Championship.
Lose Hamer or Blaster and the writing's on the wall.
Wilder must be true to his word about ditching players who are often unfit.
Let's recruit some younger players who are on an upward trajectory.
It is no good hanging onto older players or those knackered by recurrent injuries in the hope of immediate promotion.
It's going to take 2 seasons to put this squad right.

The way our squad has been allowed to deteriorate since 2020 is unforgivable.
I appreciate that we've had some terrible luck with injuries to JoC , Brewster , RND , Jebbo etc , but the positions have not been addressed proactively.
Players have aged beyond their usefulness and our recruitment & retention has been inept.
The owner is remote and just not interested enough to get a grip of the failing management of his company , which is bizarre given that he is trying to sell it.
It's been like watching a car crash in slow motion.
Selling Ndiaye & Berge , loads of players out of contract , others poor or frequently out injured , swapping a reasonable goalie for an idiot.
The result being that , apart from a couple of players , we now have a squad which if not improved , will struggle in the Championship.
Lose Hamer or Blaster and the writing's on the wall.
Wilder must be true to his word about ditching players who are often unfit.
Let's recruit some younger players who are on an upward trajectory.
It is no good hanging onto older players or those knackered by recurrent injuries in the hope of immediate promotion.
It's going to take 2 seasons to put this squad right.
I really resent the recruitment team’s usage of funds when it comes to settling our needs.

What was the purpose with half of the signings?

Assuming we had a balanced squad and were not attempting a strategic revamp, who left and who replaced them?

Stevens
Sharp
O’Connell
Ndiaye
Berge

We lost a still semi-regular left back stalwart whose powers were on the wain. No issue with him leaving. But we had two attempts to replace him, and only with borrowed players, and ended up with Osborn there.

Sharp, a talismanic forward and leader again with reduced powers. We should have told him he was leaving before. But we ended up with some random waif flying in from Scandinavia, who clearly wasn’t fit for the purpose of the league. I doubt Marsh or Osula having his minutes would have looked any more out of their depth than he did.

I can just about understand why Trusty came in as we ‘replaced’ O’Connell though we’d done without him all season. That said, he’s been so short I wonder how worse Frecklington could have done.

Berge left and was replaced by Hamer. A mismatch on physical presence but I suppose an acceptable alternative.

Ndiaye left to be replaced by whom? It certainly wasn’t Archer. If anyone has remotely understood the way we play they’d know Archer is a 9 and Ndiaye an AM or a 10. So, in effect, we managed to not even attempt to replace him and made ourselves more open in a harder league.

Why did we buy Slimane? It’s not even clear, outside a low risk punt, why we even bothered. May as well have just given his game time sooner to a Brooks or, with the benefit of hindsight, Arblaster.

What role was Souza supposed to fulfil? He wasn’t a Doyle to take over from Norwood and my goodness we will regret not sorting that out when we could have,
even if it was without a relegation clause, before Wolves/City got talking. It wasn’t Berge’s role on the right of a three. it wasn’t to enable Hamer to play Ndiaye’s role either. Maybe it was to replace serial pointer James Harper from years gone by?

I could have made a case for replacing Ndiaye with McAtee but we never really lined up with him just off the striker either, so it’s not as if we even arrived at a solution by chance.

I would actually rather have done nothing than spend pockets of cash here and there to give the impression of something when it really was nothing.

What were we afraid of? Getting embarrassed?

Apart from Derby’s points total, we’ve eclipsed most records that you’d rather avoid.

Seriously next time, just do nothing. It can’t be any worse and we’ll have another 15-20m left for the following season.

And, whilst I agree with many of your sentiments, if we'd "done nothing" there would have been hundreds of posts slating the club for "doing nothing"
I think what we all want is the club to
"Do the right thing" And recruit with a professional mentality.

Back
Top Bottom