Outgoing? Luke Freeman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Millwall haven't had the greatest of windows, especially considering how much they'll be paying for their loanees!

Basham and Sharp should be offered a extended contract now. I agree even if they are playing or involved in the backroom staff one day

Surely better to do that once it's known which division Utd will be in next season (although most of us could probably have a pretty good guess). Don't the club have 1 year options on both that they can trigger at any time anyway?

Surely better to do that once it's known which division Utd will be in next season (although most of us could probably have a pretty good guess). Don't the club have 1 year options on both that they can trigger at any time anyway?
They do that's my point extend them now Regardless of what division we are in.That way the feel good factor remains. We have always been a team of tries from the 70s since I've been watching, every now and again we get a little gem of a flair player, but mainly just graffters. When we try and move away from this format we fall flat on our face's. Working class club with Working class values. UTB

They do that's my point extend them now Regardless of what division we are in.That way the feel good factor remains. We have always been a team of tries from the 70s since I've been watching, every now and again we get a little gem of a flair player, but mainly just graffters. When we try and move away from this format we fall flat on our face's. Working class club with Working class values. UTB

I take your point but being realistic would either Bash or Sharp play much/at all next season should the unthinkable happen and Utd manage to get promoted - Bash perhaps, but surely the club couldn't spend another £50m+ on strikers and Sharp still be the best one. Personally, I'd be happy to both to be added to the coaching staff if so but those contracts would look very different financially.

Last edited:
This is the one that I'm genuinely saddest about.

He was the one player, when we were L1/Champ level that always stood out against us, granted that was several years ago now. Then, as we were promoted and unparalleled finances came in, he was the one I wanted us to sign most, the Duffy successor. I was delighted when we did.

Then, when the midfield went flat (in every sense) he couldn't get a look in. Flecky's injury/suspension, then he came in, did well and then was injured himself. Combined with the loss of the no.10 role. Then, the stint at Forest, not fully fit and looking out of shape.

Then, never used since. I know the managers see him day in, day out in training and are best placed to form an opinion. But it's still sad, what a player on his day. I can't help but feel that, unlike other squad members who's application and dedication could be questioned, we have contributed to wasting his time. We should've either given him a chance and a run in his preferred role, or allowed him to move on and not waste his time sooner.

A genuine GLTTL. ⚔️

If as you say the unthinkable does happen I would like to have them involved with the club in some capacity 👍

Pointless signing who couldn't be bothered to put the effort in to prove that he should be a top drawer Championship player.

I was out by a division in 2014 but the sentiment remains.
Except he was consistently one of the best performers in the Championship, for years.

If milwall actually decide to play burke & Freeman they have two very good championship players there
We did a good job of playing them both not in their correct roles.

If someone asks me what Burke is like as a right winger I hardly have any evidence to back up my opinion, only that he wasn't effective in terms of end product as a striker, though his pace had uses at a higher level to relieve pressure.

If someone asks me what Freeman is like as a left winger or an attacking midfielder then I also have little evidence because he was played left centre mid when he was picked and usually only got to play his proper role in cup games against lower league teams.

I don't mind players not working out, but it is so wasteful if you buy them, don't play them and when you do play them it isn't to their strengths.

If someone asks me what Burke is like as a right winger I hardly have any evidence to back up my opinion, only that he wasn't effective in terms of end product as a striker, though his pace had uses at a higher level to relieve pressure.

If someone asks me what Freeman is like as a left winger or an attacking midfielder then I also have little evidence because he was played left centre mid when he was picked and usually only got to play his proper role in cup games against lower league teams.

I don't mind players not working out, but it is so wasteful if you buy them, don't play them and when you do play them it isn't to their strengths.

In the absence of having to play the players out of position due to necessity through injuries, to not play players in their natural position and the position where they played sand your scouted them in, is rank bad management. You are not playing them to their strengths. CW seemes to do this quite a bit - Callum Robinson being another.

Not being wise after the event (as I still think on the whole he did a great job for us) but I didn't buy into the CW is God like some did. Even when he was flying high and seemingly untouchable at the Lane, he would do things which completely baffled me or which I didn't agree with re strange substitutions which seemingly didn't help us at the time, keeping players on when they were totally spent in a game, playing players out of position etc. Maybe his ego played a part at times?

In the absence of having to play the players out of position due to necessity through injuries, to not play players in their natural position and the position where they played sand your scouted them in, is rank bad management. You are not playing them to their strengths. CW seemes to do this quite a bit - Callum Robinson being another.

Not being wise after the event (as I still think on the whole he did a great job for us) but I didn't buy into the CW is God like some did. Even when he was flying high and seemingly untouchable at the Lane, he would do things which completely baffled me or which I didn't agree with re strange substitutions which seemingly didn't help us at the time, keeping players on when they were totally spent in a game, playing players out of position etc. Maybe his ego played a part at times?
CW & AK - for what they did for this club should rightly go down as legends.

However, like you I always advised to wait and see how he responded when times were tough… I think we got an answer… anyone can be a great leader when it’s going well … the real cream rises when times are hard

This is the one that I'm genuinely saddest about.

He was the one player, when we were L1/Champ level that always stood out against us, granted that was several years ago now. Then, as we were promoted and unparalleled finances came in, he was the one I wanted us to sign most, the Duffy successor. I was delighted when we did.

Then, when the midfield went flat (in every sense) he couldn't get a look in. Flecky's injury/suspension, then he came in, did well and then was injured himself. Combined with the loss of the no.10 role. Then, the stint at Forest, not fully fit and looking out of shape.

Then, never used since. I know the managers see him day in, day out in training and are best placed to form an opinion. But it's still sad, what a player on his day. I can't help but feel that, unlike other squad members who's application and dedication could be questioned, we have contributed to wasting his time. We should've either given him a chance and a run in his preferred role, or allowed him to move on and not waste his time sooner.

A genuine GLTTL. ⚔️

If Luke Freeman was genuinely ambitious and wanted to play week in week out he could have engineered a move and I don't think we would have stood in his way. I suspect a substantial Premier League salary was the issue for all parties.

That's the most frustrating thing IMO

Mcburnie - Played him as Jon parkin or been injured

Brewster - Played him on the RW under Slav and barely played under wilder

Bogle - Didn't get a look in for the first 6 months under wilder

Berge - Signed as a CDM , I don't think he as actually played there once now he is been shoe-horned as a forward/ no10 and kept out the team by two 30+ year olds

Freeman - Amazing against palace never seen again

Max Lowe - Why bother signing him

C Robinson - Never bothered to play him

Zivkovic/Restos - Who ?

About £100 million spaffed up the wall not because there bad players but because we choose to sign one player than ask them to play a completely different role

So many examples of 'Wilder Waste' , Freeman , Calum Robinson & Burke (a double-waste) , McBurnie as a target man , Whacko Jacko as a CB , Berge as ... what exactly ? Rodwell , the hopeless ManUtd wayward rescue-case kid whose name I forget , Moose as a professional , Brewster when we needed a JoC replacement , so wasteful of the club's money which he'd promised to guard as if it was his own

That's the most frustrating thing IMO

Mcburnie - Played him as Jon parkin or been injured

Brewster - Played him on the RW under Slav and barely played under wilder

Bogle - Didn't get a look in for the first 6 months under wilder

Berge - Signed as a CDM , I don't think he as actually played there once now he is been shoe-horned as a forward/ no10 and kept out the team by two 30+ year olds

Freeman - Amazing against palace never seen again

Max Lowe - Why bother signing him

C Robinson - Never bothered to play him

Zivkovic/Restos - Who ?

About £100 million spaffed up the wall not because there bad players but because we choose to sign one player than ask them to play a completely different role
Kinell , just realised I've given Fallowfield a like , the world must have shifted off its axis

If Luke Freeman was genuinely ambitious and wanted to play week in week out he could have engineered a move and I don't think we would have stood in his way. I suspect a substantial Premier League salary was the issue for all parties.
... That's what happened.

After a year being bit part for us in the prem, he engineered a move on loan to Forest (confusing many fans as we had a fairly small selection of midfielders).

... That's what happened.

After a year being bit part for us in the prem, he engineered a move on loan to Forest (confusing many fans as we had a fairly small selection of midfielders).

I was meaning a permanent move, a loan would not have affected his salary, just who was paying a certain percentage of it....

Could be a good move for us. 6 months under his belt, hopefully playing regularly and getting fit. Hope he performs. Will give us more options when he comes back

Shame about freeman, i think he can class himself unlucky because i dont remember him having a bad game for us he just rarely got the opportunity to show. it i remember 1st game of the season v Palace came on & changed the game in the 2nd half & setting up the winner

Shame about freeman, i think he can class himself unlucky because i dont remember him having a bad game for us he just rarely got the opportunity to show. it i remember 1st game of the season v Palace came on & changed the game in the 2nd half & setting up the winner
I originally thought it was bad luck, but now this is three managers in and he still hasn't impressed any of them.
His appearance suggests diet nor exercise is of importance.
My final thought is he is a player that is okay with putting in the minimum effort. Minimum effort has an effect on the team and I am happy he has been loaned out. Good riddance.

I may be wrong but I thought the idea when we we're promoted was to switch from a 3412 to a 3421. Freeman and Robinson were bought in specifically to play behind a central striker (McBurnie) at a cost of approx £10-£14m depending on which stories you believe.

CW then lost his head a bit and decided he was going with a flat 3 just because Lunwank had "shown a bit" during pre season. That's alright Chris because we're just the type of club that can waste 8 figure transfer fees aren't we?

I may be wrong but I thought the idea when we we're promoted was to switch from a 3412 to a 3421. Freeman and Robinson were bought in specifically to play behind a central striker (McBurnie) at a cost of approx £10-£14m depending on which stories you believe.

CW then lost his head a bit and decided he was going with a flat 3 just because Lunwank had "shown a bit" during pre season. That's alright Chris because we're just the type of club that can waste 8 figure transfer fees aren't we?

That flat 3 took us to a 9th place finish in the PL. I think that decision was justified.

That flat 3 took us to a 9th place finish in the PL. I think that decision was justified.

No proof we wouldn't have been there anyway with the formation those players were brought in for and, as MOTS has stated, it didn't really help us in the 2nd year and left us with very little flexibility in formation.

They've signed Cauley Woodrow too

Would have preferred these 2 in our squad tbh

But maybe Freeman can only perform down south, all of 2.5 hours away, in this giant expanse of a country. He's surely a quality signing for them. Interested to see what he'll do when played regularly

Back
Top Bottom