Looking back on the 12 years

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

EasyBlade

Reaction score
Today marks the first time Wednesday have finished above us since the year 2000. During this time, we have made our way through 5 managers, and the Owls 8. United have spent ten of these in the Championship, 1 in League one and 1 in the Premier League. Wednesday have spent eight of these in the Championship, four in League One and none in the Premier League.

So, did we capitalise on them being so shit? Yes and no. The general theme of Sheffield football in the noughties was second tier level with United in and around the play-off spots and Wednesday lingering around the bottom half of the table/fighting relegation.

That year we had in the prem was a rollercoaster that sadly ended with a crash, and I can't help but have the feeling that if we had stayed up there, we may have enjoyed a top flight spell that could have panned a few seasons and changed the preconceptions of Wednesday still being the 'biggest' in some people's eyes.

Mandaric took over the other lot back in 2010 when they were at their lowest point ever, just days away from death. In a way, it's a credit to us that Wednesday finishing one place above us is something alien to many people, and a cause for such celebration from them. We now have to do something we're admittedly very poor at and progress through the play-offs, gaining promotion alongside them. Because in all honesty, one position isn't the great tidal wave of change some are making it out to be - but a division is.

And let's hope that this doesn't mark the beginning of a 20 year period of dominance for them like it did in 1980!

For me, the crucial point came with the Oldham game; we were two goals up playing good football and in just a few minutes came the inexplicable own goal, which encouraged them on to go and equalise, followed immediately by the harsh booking and then soon after the second yellow card and the sending off at the end. This disastrous damage to the defence led tthe narrow 3-2 defeat at Walsall. Six points lost in just four days

In the first instance we have a one in four chance of promotion through the play-offs. Is it any higher than that? I
doubt it; the other three teams look as good as us and haven't had their strike forces weakened like us.

If we don't make it then, unlike metalblade, I can see some hope for next season in that, provided we strengthen, it's
very unlikely that Donny, Pompey, Coventry or anyone else can have as good a season as Charlton and the team in S6 have had.

Will we have the funds to strengthen?

Well the way I look at it, McCabe wants out but he has a far better chance of selling a Championship club than one in League 1.

Think of the numbers as volume settings on his gramaphone...

I've watched us for over 30 years and our biggest achievements have been the Fourth Division title and a total of five years in the top flight and god knows when we will get back - pathetic for a club our size.

We've only been better than the pigs recently cos they were so shit, we've still massivley under achieved.

The bad news is that they will be back in the Prem well before us and they will stay there and we will be confirmed as Sheffield's number two club in their arrogant shadow.

The good news is that as failure and being the underdog seems to be what defines what's special about being Blades we could rediscover the passion we've lost on and off the pitch in recent years. We don't even seem to hate the pigs as much as I remember.

Maybe being inferior to them makes matches like the 3-1 at the Sty feel so good all those years ago. We just might have to wait a while till we see that again.

I've watched us for over 30 years and our biggest achievements have been the Fourth Division title and a total of five years in the top flight and god knows when we will get back - pathetic for a club our size.

We've only been better than the pigs recently cos they were so shit, we've still massivley under achieved.

The bad news is that they will be back in the Prem well before us and they will stay there and we will be confirmed as Sheffield's number two club in their arrogant shadow.

The good news is that as failure and being the underdog seems to be what defines what's special about being Blades we could rediscover the passion we've lost on and off the pitch in recent years. We don't even seem to hate the pigs as much as I remember.

Maybe being inferior to them makes matches like the 3-1 at the Sty feel so good all those years ago. We just might have to wait a while till we see that again.

Maybe the days disappointment has coloured your thinking, we have never been the number 2 in this city nor have we ever been inferior to the blue scum. On the other hand we may be perceived as the more unfashionable club in Sheffield which is hardly surprising considering the local media hype favouring the pigs and the pig fans loud mouthed delusions of grandeur. Stats will prove head to head historically we are the better team.

Maybe the days disappointment has coloured your thinking, we have never been the number 2 in this city nor have we ever been inferior to the blue scum. On the other hand we may be perceived as the more unfashionable club in Sheffield which is hardly surprising considering the local media hype favouring the pigs and the pig fans loud mouthed delusions of grandeur. Stats will prove head to head historically we are the better team.
Thing is they are, like l..ds, arrogant, deluded scum.

Back
Top Bottom