Looking ahead

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BiggerBladeThanThou

Reaction score
Slav is a decent manager, he’s got a very good record, we all know that.

it’s just not clicking at the moment and I think he’s had enough games under his belt now to come under some stick. However, there’s absolutely no way we should sack him, he needs backing. This season for me was a semi-free hit but I expected us to start much better than we have done, I expected us to be in and around the playoffs - now? I just want us to stay up.

Hopefully we do a bit of business in January but I think the Summer and next season is the key time for Slav. Wholesale changes needed and his identity needs to be fully recognised on the pitch and turned into results and points with auto promotion the absolute aim.

I have every confidence Slav will perform in the second half of this season and we’ll be on fire next season. Just need a little patience with him. Not many other decent managers about.

Well I think that Slav will think he’s been sold a pup. The ‘journey men’ we recruited, or had already, fitted nicely into a 532 formation them we invented the overlapping backs and we were on to something. Slav might have thought they could adapt to something new. They can’t.
Wilder spent a fortune badly and Slav can’t buy until we sell. But the family silver actually isn’t worth much. Either he wheels and deals like a blue pencil sale or abandons his vaunted style and starts with a 532 and make the best of what he’s got. I think the latter

Slav is a decent manager, he’s got a very good record, we all know that.

it’s just not clicking at the moment and I think he’s had enough games under his belt now to come under some stick. However, there’s absolutely no way we should sack him, he needs backing. This season for me was a semi-free hit but I expected us to start much better than we have done, I expected us to be in and around the playoffs - now? I just want us to stay up.

Hopefully we do a bit of business in January but I think the Summer and next season is the key time for Slav. Wholesale changes needed and his identity needs to be fully recognised on the pitch and turned into results and points with auto promotion the absolute aim.

I have every confidence Slav will perform in the second half of this season and we’ll be on fire next season. Just need a little patience with him. Not many other decent managers about.
“It’s just not clicking at the moment” has to be the understatement of the year!😂😂😂

Wilder and Higgy tried the 532 last season ,we went down like a flat tire.
Mind they were playing Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. at the time and Hecky still beat Brighton,Everton, and Burnley with it in his last 6 games.
Could you see this team going to Goodison, and keeping a clean sheet, for longer than 10 minutes.
Funnily enough the quality of the opposition does have a bearing on what results you get.

He's spent a fortune on six expensive loans and thus far looks inept in all aspects of management - to the extent that a lot of relegated clubs would have already sacked him if they were in our position. His much vaunted record includes a playoff win with arguably the best squad to ever play in this league (he was one defeat from the sack), and a promotion with a hyper talented Watford team.
He needs a massive finish to the season. We need to see a workable style of play that we can buy into, and some reasons for optimism. He's inherited arguably the best squad in the division and has to show that he can get the best out of them. The time for excuses is over. Time to deliver!

He's spent a fortune on six expensive loans and thus far looks inept in all aspects of management - to the extent that a lot of relegated clubs would have already sacked him if they were in our position. His much vaunted record includes a playoff win with arguably the best squad to ever play in this league (he was one defeat from the sack), and a promotion with a hyper talented Watford team.
He needs a massive finish to the season. We need to see a workable style of play that we can buy into, and some reasons for optimism. He's inherited arguably the best squad in the division and has to show that he can get the best out of them. The time for excuses is over. Time to deliver!
"Arguably the best squad in the division"

Christ, a punchy opinion!

He's inherited a bloated and unbalanced squad of players who peaked a couple of years ago, have been battered in games for the previous 18 months, who are mentally on the ropes and hardwired to play a VERY specific way.

I'm not saying he's got the best out of the squad so far, but let's be realistic the group are a mess and to progress in the next couple of years need a revamp and clear out.

If, inexplicably, we got promoted this year theres literally 2 or 3 players who would be good enough to be starting in the Premier League.

Yep, we're all getting into a bit of a tiz and unfortunately none of us can do a thing about it. It's looking like the JTW may be judgment day, so to speak.
Let's hope Slav / the Board have a cunning plan to at least get us reasonably safely through to the summer, hoping for anything better and I think we're pushing it a bit. Time will tell. UTB

"Arguably the best squad in the division"

Christ, a punchy opinion!

He's inherited a bloated and unbalanced squad of players who peaked a couple of years ago, have been battered in games for the previous 18 months, who are mentally on the ropes and hardwired to play a VERY specific way.

I'm not saying he's got the best out of the squad so far, but let's be realistic the group are a mess and to progress in the next couple of years need a revamp and clear out.

If, inexplicably, we got promoted this year theres literally 2 or 3 players who would be good enough to be starting in the Premier League.

I don't accept that last year's squad was irredeemable, but I'll humour that idea.

He got last year's squad plus Berge (broke him overplaying him), Ndiaye (a bit good, no?); Freeman (been successful everywhere he's been at this level, prior to his injury/loan); Slater (just completed a successful loan at Hull); RND (just completed successful loans at Luton and Stoke) and six mega expensive loans for the level.

How many 'new' players do you you think he needs? There's ten - eleven if we include Berge who spent most of the season injured. Do you think it's realistic to expect more?

Inherited the best squad in the division???

Fulham, West Brom, Bournemouth are definitely better squads and I'd argue Blackburn, QPR and Middlesbrough have a better set of players to choose from currently.

Would you swap Ollie Mcburnie, Rhian Brewster and Oli Burke for Lyndon Dykes, Charlie Austin and Andre Gray? Because I would in a heartbeat.

Fulham, West Brom, Bournemouth are definitely better squads and I'd argue Blackburn, QPR and Middlesbrough have a better set of players to choose from currently.

Would you swap Ollie Mcburnie, Rhian Brewster and Oli Burke for Lyndon Dykes, Charlie Austin and Andre Gray? Because I would in a heartbeat.

It's more would I swap the whole frontline including Jebbison ( Slav's choice to loan him out). No I wouldn't.

You seriously can't believe that? That's a ridiculous statement tbqf.

Their records speak for themselves. I will concede that his Fulham and Watford squads were better, but they were piss the league by 20 points good.

As long as we dont get relegated we will just have to go with the flow,what will be will be for the remainder of the season.

If Slav thinks the owners are pissing on his back (January could reveal this) he will scarper before the end of the season,i dont think he is a "flogging a dead horse" type of manager.

Not really. A cursory look at records will show the logic. Then it's up to the manager to unlock that potential.The rest is excuses.

At what point can we say that (plucking one name out of the air) McBurnie's form has dropped off a cliff and will never return? He's played well once in the last 2 seasons for 3 different managers.

Or at what point can we say that Burke is simply not up to standard?

Or is it the case that the poor quality of these players is only the fault of whoever the current manager is?

Arguably the best squad in the division?

I wouldn't swap any of our players for Lyndon Dykes. Mcburnie mk2.

At what point can we say that (plucking one name out of the air) McBurnie's form has dropped off a cliff and will never return? He's played well once in the last 2 seasons for 3 different managers.

Or at what point can we say that Burke is simply not up to standard?

Or is it the case that the poor quality of these players is only the fault of whoever the current manager is?

Mcburnie hasn't had a run at Champ level. If they get a consistent run of games in positions and a league they've succeeded in then we can begin to judge them. It's very hard to judge anybody with this dysfunctional set up, with square pegs in round holes all over the shop.

Burke has never succeeded anywhere so he's a special case.

Mcburnie hasn't had a run at Champ level. If they get a consistent run of games in positions and a league they've succeeded in then we can begin to judge them. It's very hard to judge anybody with this dysfunctional set up, with square pegs in round holes all over the shop.

Burke has never succeeded anywhere so he's a special case.
Ok.

So we can judge Fleck, Norwood and Stevens now as poor players at this level by that logic?

They are all playing out of position. If they were playing wingback and in a three, yes, absolutely.
Fleck and Norwood were if anything even worse when playing with Berge before the 1st international break.

And anyway, midfield is a position.

Stevens has been wretched in any position since June 2020.

We can’t play wing backs and a 3 with this lot. They can’t do it any more. If they could Wilder would still be here.

Fleck and Norwood were if anything even worse when playing with Berge before the 1st international break.

And anyway, midfield is a position.

Stevens has been wretched in any position since June 2020.

We can’t play wing backs and a 3 with this lot. They can’t do it any more. If they could Wilder would still be here.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Wilder and Higgy tried the 532 last season ,we went down like a flat tire.
Because our left hand side was basically f**ked when JOC got injured. Those pesky Prem teams also "sussed" us out, poor player purchase, oh and a catastrophic collapse in form from our usual stalwarts.

I actually hope you are right about the squad nopigfansintown as it looks far less bleak if it's just a case of them and the manager underperforming. My own opinion is though is that the older ones are finished as top end Championship players, the younger big money signings need a fresh start elsewhere and the rest were never good enough in the first place.

3 managers have failed to get a decent tune out of these players in the last 18 months. Under Wilder they were one of the worst ever Premier League sides. Not just bad, up there with the worst. 4 wins by February. Under Heckingbottom we salvaged a bit of pride with 3 late wins against teams with nothing to play for in front of no crowd but nothing really improved. Now Slav has tried to change everything in terms of formation and style but still we look clueless.

As I said I hope you are right as getting a better manager is an easy fix but I just don't see it that way.

Bull , there cannot have been a team Derby apart after their dire prem season that has gone into a season as low !
Best squad in the division … Pep or conte wouldn’t get owt out of Norwood , fleck , enda etc , we’re going nowhere till the old guard and their losing mentality is gone !

Bull , there cannot have been a team Derby apart after their dire prem season that has gone into a season as low !
Best squad in the division … Pep or conte wouldn’t get owt out of Norwood , fleck , enda etc , we’re going nowhere till the old guard and their losing mentality is gone !

Well let's see Slav's opinion, a man who had two promotions from the Championship and added six players after his comment by the way:

Slavisa Jokanovic: "This is the best squad I've inherited in England"​

Back
Top Bottom