Longevity in the top flight

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ShorehamRevolution

Reaction score
I was wondering to myself how many seasons Wigan spent in the top flight and was quite surprised it was 8 seasons.
We spent 40 consecutive seasons in the top flight from 1894-1934 and that’s the last time we spent over 8 seasons there. Is it too much for a club like us to spend more than just a few seasons in the top flight? We spent 4 seasons up there under Bassett, 5 seasons in the currie era, 7 seasons in the 60’s our next best spell.
I don’t expect us to win the league but a bit of longevity in the top flight puts us in a decent position to maybe win a cup and with the money involved it also gives us scope to upgrade facilities.

I was wondering to myself how many seasons Wigan spent in the top flight and was quite surprised it was 8 seasons.
We spent 40 consecutive seasons in the top flight from 1894-1934 and that’s the last time we spent over 8 seasons there. Is it too much for a club like us to spend more than just a few seasons in the top flight? We spent 4 seasons up there under Bassett, 5 seasons in the currie era, 7 seasons in the 60’s our next best spell.
I don’t expect us to win the league but a bit of longevity in the top flight puts us in a decent position to maybe win a cup and with the money involved it also gives us scope to upgrade facilities.
37 seasons between 1893 and 1934. You don't include the 4 war seasons

Sign actual footballers, pay decent wages, attract young superstars of the future with our magnificent academy and by impressing their parents and handlers, attract new and meaningful sponsorship deals, open up meaningful new income streams.............No we can't be a Premier League club for more than one season.

What should be the one good thing about being a Premier League club even for only one season is when going back down to the Championship we should be too good for it, but even that won't be the case this time.

Sign actual footballers, pay decent wages, attract young superstars of the future with our magnificent academy and by impressing their parents and handlers, attract new and meaningful sponsorship deals, open up meaningful new income streams.............No we can't be a Premier League club for more than one season.

What should be the one good thing about being a Premier League club even for only one season is when going back down to the Championship we should be too good for it, but even that won't be the case this time.
Yeh but no but yeh but no but yeah

We weren't too good for it when we came up so it's not our fault

Nothwithstanding resources, the way we operate appears miles off a Premier League club. And poor ownership for decades appears to have conditioned us to think “one and done” is our limit, despite other comparably sized clubs (or smaller) having half a dozen seasons in the sun.

I honestly thought we'd cracked it last time.
If Covid hadn't hit, who knows where we'd be now?

There was a thread on here saying PL top 6 is a closed shop, but it's not. Villa are breaking in. Brighton have flirted. Leicester won the league.
It takes hard work, good recruitment and a bit of luck along the way, but it can be done

35 clubs have had more seasons in the Premier League than us.

Including the likes of Wigan, Wednesday, Wimbledon, Charlton, Coventry, Swansea, Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Birmingham.
What a depressing list that is.....one of those clubs doesnt exist anymore, some of those clubs have in their history barely been top flight clubs and the other are MASSIVE.....bellends.

What a depressing list that is.....one of those clubs doesnt exist anymore, some of those clubs have in their history barely been top flight clubs and the other are MASSIVE.....bellends.
Sound like a Wednesday fan slagging off the teams that have achieved it.
They achieved it on merit.

Piggy's can't accept Brighton, Luton, Brentford, Burnley etcs. success

Maybe the secret to staying in the top flight is not selling your best players immediately after getting promoted?

Small club mentality. We're just happy to be here for the ride, making up numbers. Zero ambition.

There was a thread on here saying PL top 6 is a closed shop, but it's not. Villa are breaking in. Brighton have flirted. Leicester won the league.
It takes hard work, good recruitment and a bit of luck along the way, but it can be done
The top 6 is pretty settled. Yes, no and again a "gatecrasher" comes along - Leicester, Newcastle or one of them has a meltdown but surely if you do a check its pretty much City, Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea.

Sound like a Wednesday fan slagging off the teams that have achieved it.
They achieved it on merit.

Piggy's can't accept Brighton, Luton, Brentford, Burnley etcs. success
Not slagging off those clubs just makes you think what we could have achieved if run properly

Maybe the secret to staying in the top flight is not selling your best players immediately after getting promoted?

Small club mentality. We're just happy to be here for the ride, making up numbers. Zero ambition.
See Norwich .....

Including the likes of Wigan, Wednesday, Wimbledon, Charlton, Coventry, Swansea, Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Birmingham.

There are several similar sized and arguably smaller clubs than us who’ve had sustained periods in the Premier League. It makes a mockery of our time spent here over the last 30 years.

Crystal Palace's current spell must be pushing 10 years now. I think Stoke had 10 years in a row. Burnley under Dyche. Wolves at the moment. Watford, Wigan etc in the past.

Brighton are established as a PL club now. Then there's historically 'small' clubs like Bournemouth and Brentford who've benefitted from ambitious owners and very good management.

Realistically, without an Oil State taking us over, a prolonged period in the top-flight is the best we can aim for.

I’ve just thought of a genius idea that will revolutionize the Premier League. The three promoted clubs should be immune from relegation the following season. The relegated sides would be the three lowest placed “established” clubs. This would give the newly promoted sides breathing space to acclimatize to the step up, get their recruitment in order etc. as well as making the season a bit more interesting as for clubs further up the division.

OK, they would probably still go down the following season, but you never know.

You may think I am insane, but I’m telling you, this would work.

Discuss.

The top 6 is pretty settled. Yes, no and again a "gatecrasher" comes along - Leicester, Newcastle or one of them has a meltdown but surely if you do a check its pretty much City, Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea.

Southampton finished 6th in 2015-16 and West Ham finished 6th in 2020-21.

And Brighton finished 6th last season.

Apart from that, not much else though.

I’ve just thought of a genius idea that will revolutionize the Premier League. The three promoted clubs should be immune from relegation the following season. The relegated sides would be the three lowest placed “established” clubs. This would give the newly promoted sides breathing space to acclimatize to the step up, get their recruitment in order etc. as well as making the season a bit more interesting as for clubs further up the division.

Discuss.

Just one problem. The other PL teams have to vote for it. Aint gonna happen.

Reactions: Dkc

It could be done 20/30 years ago
not Anymore is the point.
Leicester did a great job, but where are they now?
Villa & Brighton are flirting with it now , but there’s half a season to go.
My prediction is Villa will end up 7th & Brighton 9th (as we did).
Manure will replace Villa (not what I would want), and the top 6 will be same old same old

It could be done 20/30 years ago
not Anymore is the point.
Leicester did a great job, but where are they now?
Villa & Brighton are flirting with it now , but there’s half a season to go.
My prediction is Villa will end up 7th & Brighton 9th (as we did).
Manure will replace Villa (not what I would want), and the top 6 will be same old same old
I think its Villa's season to break the top 6. Sadly, the additional games in the Europa League next season will see their squad stretched, they'll sell players like Watkins to Man Utd, and finished 12th having sacked Emery in December whilst 17th.

Discuss.
Its not insane but sadly 14/20 clubs aint going to effectively vote to give 3 clubs a break.

Discuss.
I think there may be some opposing views when it comes to a vote !!

Surprised at Swansea! Thought they'd only managed about 4.

Discuss.
I like it.

Should be too good for the pigs though

It's disappointing that despite spending 3 out of 5 seasons in the PL, nothing has changed within the infrastructure of the club apart from the odd lick of paint or cladding.

I could just about accept the pathetic approach by us in the summer if the PL money we were receiving this season went on something like a new stand, training ground or ploughing money into a proper scouting system and benefit us from years to come, but it seems that behind the scenes we're still run like a League 1 club.

Until we sort this out then we can forget any longevity in the top flight, without a wealthy backer a club like us needs to be funded by making huge profits on players like what Brighton and Brentford have done.

And excluding Bournemouth
Where are they now ??

And how many of them went into administration, or fell foul of FFP

Exactly.

That's the point.

A club that hasn't existed for 20 years has still had more seasons in the Premier League than us.

I think its Villa's season to break the top 6. Sadly, the additional games in the Europa League next season will see their squad stretched, they'll sell players like Watkins to Man Utd, and finished 12th having sacked Emery in December whilst 17th.
They are in the Europa Conference league this season aren’t they?

Back
Top Bottom